Categories > Original > Romance > Misinterpretations

Jemma Takes a Stand

by GACIAF_Stories 3 reviews

"My loss? Why Kristine, surely you remember. My hamster died six years ago. It's still a sore spot, but, God, I've moved on!" It was a lot of fun pretending to be oblivious. "Right, yah, listen, y...

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor, Romance - Published: 2007-07-10 - Updated: 2007-07-10 - 1078 words

0Unrated
Chapter 17

That night Julia slept over at my house. This was the most depressing sleepover I had ever had. Of course, it wasn't really a "why don't we have a sleepover and paint each other's nails and eat junk food for fun sleepover." This was an "I really screwed it up with Scott and I need to wallow in self pity with Julia at my side in order to feel a little bit better sleepover." Needless to say, Alice in Wonderland was viewed 5 times that night.


*


The next morning was a beautiful May day, the kind of day where the birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, and people actually step outside for once to see what the heck was going on. This change of weather seemed to mock me and my mood. Yesterday it had been a pleasantly rainy and stormy day, which suited me perfectly, only adding to my self-pity. The gorgeous day made me even more miserable. I just wanted to go to work, and go home and maybe watch another round of Alice's. Little did I know it wasn't going to be that easy.

When I got to work, I half-heartedly said hi to Rachel and sat sulkily behind the counter. A little while later Rachel came over to talk to me. I thought I was going to get some sympathy from her, but I got the exact opposite.

"You know you really have been acting bitchy over this whole Scott thing. I mean Jemma, cool it. He's just a guy."
What?

"What are you talking about? Just a guy? I have been completely stupid about him...if only I hadn't... look Rachel, I just really blew it."

"Oh, shoulda, coulda, woulda. Don't give me that. You mean that's it? That's all you are going to do? Give up? Wallow in your self pity? This is disgusting. Jemma, as one of your best friends I must urge you not to be such a coward... if you really care about him that much, you can't just sit here, you have to fight. Fight for your man!"


*


Halfway across town, Scott Harrison was sitting across from Kristine Blake in a "Cute little smoothie shop" (Kristine) with a disgusted expression on his face. Kristine was oblivious to this though because she was still unbelievably happy that she finally had Scott Harrison wrapped around her finger. She was looking at Scott with an extremely pleased expression.

"Don't you hate Mrs. Lamburt? She makes English class like a total drag, you know? I'm like, 'Okay, I know the language, so why do I have to take your crappy class?"

"Actually that is my favorite class... or was," Scott looked down,

"I really liked that poetry project we did." However Scott hadn't really liked the project itself, but his partner.

"Oh yah I totally loved that project too!" Kristine chimed in, eager to please Scott in any possible way. Scott snorted, but Kristine didn't notice.

It was extremely hard to believe that he, Scott Chase Harrison, was sitting across from one of the people he detested most. The first day of school after it was made clear that Jem didn't like him, e had skipped her table completely and instead made his way over to the preps table and where he knew where he would be welcome. Actually, he was so confident in this that he had just walked straight over and kissed Kristine on the lips. He hadn't known where he had found the nerve to do it, but he guessed that since he had no feelings for her whatsoever, it hadn't been such a big deal. He knew that he was going to have to do things he really didn't want to do if he wanted Jemma to be jealous of Kristine and himself. Even participating in constant make out sessions with her.



*


I have to fight for my man? What does that mean? When I asked Rachel she said it included stealing him away from his girlfriend, making him jealous, or driving him crazy. I went with the latter. Conveniently enough, Kristine came I later during my shift, obviously so she could flaunt off her new "goods" also known as Scott. As soon as she came in she rushed over to me.

"Hi Jemma!" Kristine said with sickening cheerfulness.

"Hey, you are looking very ugly today Kristine, what's the occasion?" I said with equal cheerfulness. I heard some muffled laughter coming from Scott's direction but ignored it. Kristine ignored my comment.

"So, Jemma, how are you fairing?"

"Fairing?"

"Your loss? Your tragic unchangeable loss?"

I was not going to give in.

"My loss? Why Kristine, surely you remember. My hamster died six years ago. It's still a sore spot, but, God, I've moved on!" It was a lot of fun pretending to be oblivious.

"Right, yah, listen, you can play some stupid game but let me just remind you who ended up with the boy and who didn't. Kay?"

"Um... alright, I don't have any idea what you are talking about but whatever." Now it was time to make Scott insane. "Oh, Kristine did you know there was a sale on cherry red gloss next-door? I hear it's buy one get one."

She had already walked out the door. I was smirking. I ignored Scott, who was still at the counter, and picked up some magazine. After a few moments Scott coughed . I looked up, with an expression like I was "oh-so surprised."

"Why Scott, I didn't know you were still here. I figured you had gone off to parade your slutty girlfriend some more." I said it with an icy cheerfulness.

"What the hell are you doing?" Before a comment like this would have cut me short, and I would have cut the act at once, but not
this time, I was determined to make him crazy. I leaned into his face so there was only about six inches between us.

"Whatever do you mean?"

"You know damn well what I mean Jem," even at this moment, my heart fluttered, "You haven't been yourself lately."

"Really? Wow Scott, how perceptive of you. But you see I am only following the latest trend. The two people I thought I knew best have changed before my eyes this last week. One of them explained why."

I leaned even farther so that our noses were almost touching.

"I haven't heard from the other one."









A/N: Intense! Lol! Please Review...
Sign up to rate and review this story