Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Look For The Boy with a Broken Smile

[[02.]]

by zildjian1039 1 review

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-07-11 - Updated: 2008-12-28 - 1271 words

0Unrated
10-8-2005
The next day, I stumbled out of bed and into the kitchen.
My dad had breakfast waiting for me on the table as usual. I admit, I'm super spoiled. But I'm an only child too.. I sat down and doused my pancakes in syrup.
"Well it's about time you got up,sleepyhead!",my dad laughed. "I got a little worried when I didn't see you up and ready to go at 8."
My dad and I jog almost every morning.I like it a lot,because we laugh and joke along the way, talking about TV shows and movies and stuff like that. My dad is kind of a dork but we get along great.

"Hey!There you are. I didn't get a chance to talk to you yesterday before I went to work."
My mom walked into the kitchen with her doctor's scrubs on,and gave me a big hug.
"Hey Mom." Was my oh-so-enthusiastic
"How were the neighbors?Did you meet the boy? Do you like him?I hope you didn't tilt the plate I had the cookies arranged perfectly.Did you-"
I suddenly wasn't hungry anymore.I pushed the pancakes away.
"Whatsa matter Al?" My dad questioned me.
"Well uhm...yeah.I met him.His dad is really-"
There was a knock on the door. Mom opened it,revealing Patrick,with his hands stuffed in the pockets of his plaid coat and a camera hanging around his neck.
He and mom exchanged a few words that I couldn't quite hear. Patrick must've seen me and waved,smiling slightly.
I waved back and smiled. I then realized I was still in my pajamas with no makeup on, and this brought a quick change to the situation. I ran upstairs to get dressed

By the time I was all ready, both of my parents had left for work .They left a note on the table telling me to "remember to let the dogs out" and other things I already knew.
I grabbed my cellhone and started to call my friend Darin to invite her over, but when I looked out the window she saw Patrick crouched on the ground,taking pictures of some flowers in my backyard. I watched him for a few minutes,going from flower to flower,from tree to tree snapping pictures and grinning to himself. I dropped my phone onto the couch, threw my jacket on and made my way into the backyard.
" Hey Patrick!",I called.
I scared him, and he whirled around and accidentally snapped a picture of me.
He laughed."I bet you didn't know you were gonna get your picture taken."
I couldn't help but smile. He was both adorable and intriguing.
We exchanged "How are you?"'s,and talked about the weather for a bit.
Patrick snapped an occasional picture of squirrels that scampered across the lawn or cardinals that landed on the tree that we were sitting near.
After about an hour we both ran out of things to say,and Patrick had started to pick nervously at his jeans. I decided to break the silence.
"Wanna go inside and get a snack or something?"
Patrick replied quickly. "Sure.I mean as long as your parents wouldn't mind or anything..."
"Nah,my parents don't mind.They're alright with stuff like that."

We hurried inside ,happy to escape the bitter fall wind and be in the warmth of my home. Patrick took off his coat,wrapping his camera in it carefully.
"You have a really nice house.",he said,admiring the high ceilings and hardwood flooring.
"Thanks." I took my house for granted sometimes...I lived there my whole life and it really was a nice house.
"So what do you like to do?Do you play any sports?",I asked while I got some cupcakes and milk for us.
"My dad always wanted me to play football...I actually tried out in 8th grade.I didn't even know how to hold the ball"
He suddenly seemed to be interested with the floor,and he stared down.
"Ohhh I see.So besides sports?"
Patrick hesitated."I don't wanna seem...weird or anything"
"No no,it's fine.Go ahead." He could have told me he collected Barbies or something and I'd still be interested.
I put the snacks in the middle of the table and sat down across from him.
"Well...I really love photography and taking pictures. I think the world sometimes sees things around them as a blur,everybody seems rushed I don't know how they can possibly take time to notice the beautiful things surrounding them.So I like to take pictures of things and study their detail...you know?"
I knew what he meant. I was guilty of this too,though.
"I also like to sing and write my own songs.I've been teaching myself guitar",he stated this with pride.
"I've always wanted to play guitar.I actually entered a drawing and won a guitar a year ago.I'm supposed to be signing up for lessons soon."
I knew I'd probably never get around to signing up. Truth is, I was planning to sell the guitar. I could get a decent amount of money for it, according to my friend.
He was smiling his funny little smile again.
Damn him for being so cute.
"Could I look at the guitar?",he asked quietly.
I brought him up to my room, and dug the guitar case out of my closet nearly choking from all the dust on it.
"...Is it ok if I try it?"
I laughed.
"Of course it's ok."
Patrick took the guitar from the case as carefully as possible.
It was a black electric Gibson SG,with white stripes down the middle.
He tuned it skillfully and began to strum away.
"WOW you taught yourself?Patrick you're amazing."
He really was though. His fingers danced across the fret board like some kind of machine, and the sound that came from it was nothing less that beautiful.
His faced turned red. "I never thought I'd be able to play one of these.I've wanted to for a long time."
You could tell just from his eyes that he was happy as he could be. And this made me happy too, somehow.
"You said you like to sing right?Why don't you sing a little bit?"
I was anxious to hear him sing. I'm sort of secretly a sucker for guys singing with guitars.
He was hesitant. "I'm not very good.I could use some lessons."
"Oh you can't be worse than me,I can guarantee that." ,I chuckled.
I have many talents [volleyball,dancing,card tricks] singing is DEFINITELY not one of them.
He smiled[I wished he would stop doing it, he was starting to make me forget to breathe]. He strummed a few notes,and started to sing.

"Why can you read me like no one else,I hide behind these words,but I'm coming out.
I wish i kept them behind my tongue,I hide behind these words but I'm coming out.
Put your hand between an aching head and an aching world,
we'll make them so jealous,we'll make them hate us.
An aching head and an aching world,we'll make them so jealous,we'll make them so jealous."


His voice was so calming,and the words flowed so perfectly,that in that moment,I literally wanted nothing more in the world then for him to sing me to sleep...

I also officially discovered that after two whole days of knowing him, I had a very teenage crush on this boy.
Sign up to rate and review this story