Categories > Theatre > We Will Rock You > We Will Rock You: The Novelization

Brown-Eyed Girl

by Ryder 0 reviews

In which we meet the bad-arsed babe, and the two shall meet...

Category: We Will Rock You - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Humor, Romance, Sci-fi - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2007-07-12 - Updated: 2007-07-12 - 1951 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two- Brown-Eyed Girl

Finally, the last day of school, forever. She had known for a long time that she wouldn't become a Globalsoft great, but her caretakers- she avoided calling them her parents- wouldn't let her skip out on the 'fine Globalsoft education' and 'honorable job in the Style Division' that 'her mother had always wanted but could never achieve'. The guilt they tried to lay on her didn't work, and she regretted not taking an early internship just to get away from those GaGa freaks. It was almost insulting to accept that she was the spawn of such clones.

Though, the more she thought about it, the more she realized she was the freak. She was the one who was different. The one who had no name. Well, she had a name, but she loathed it. What kind of name was www/Kaitlyn@theHoffbecks.com, anyways? She had taken to just calling herself Kate, but as soon as she could come up with another name, that name would be far behind her.

Kate peered out at the graduates flowing from the school, jubilantly crossing the street to get a jumpstart on their shopping- not that they didn't already do that on a daily basis. But she hung around. It seemed strange, that for all this time she had wanted to get away from this place, yet when the chance came, she couldn't leave.

She supposed it had something to do with the nutter that was hanging around as everyone else departed. Now he was talking to the teacher, the one with the funny nose. The teacher slowly backed away, then gained speed, running toward Kate and into the school, not even pausing to acknowledge Kate's presence.

"I want to break free," she heard him whisper. Then, he called it out louder. "I want to break free!"

Such a simple phrase, and yet it seemed to have some sort of higher meaning. While she tended to avoid that nutter, he had guts, guts enough to say such things to people with such close contact with the Globalsoft Security division.

"I wan' to break free," she whispered, trying the sounds out. It felt... right. She looked back out toward the courtyard, and the boy who had been there was gone. "I wan' to break free." Kate flopped down on the steps, spilling several items from her bag.

She heard a giggling mass approaching from her left, and, just to make her life even more miserable, she saw one of them point at her. Quickly, she scooped up her belongings and tried to make an exit, but she was not fast enough.

One of them, dressed in pink, called out, "Check out the weirdo, girls!"

"Don't your mum download you anything decent to wear?" Another, in yellow, asked.

Kate snapped at her, "I make my own fashion statements."

A third, dressed in purple inquired, "What's today's statement then, ''ello, I'm a pathetic, ugly little zero'?"

Pinky spoke up again, "How are you ever going to get with one of the boys from the boyzone dressed up as some sort of freak?"

Another round of laughter as the fourth squeaked, "You're a disgrace to the GaGa girls!"

Kate could no longer sit and take it. She jumped up. "I ain't no GaGa girl!" More giggles. "And I'm not interested in the kind of boys-'R'-us, duh-brain, zone clones you hang out with!" She snapped, rage still building behind her usually collected visage.

The girl in pink, obviously the ringleader of the group, leaned forward and purred, enunciating clearly, "You. Are such. A sad. Loner." She giggled, as if her 'insult' was the best thing since html.

"Well, you. Sure are righ'. Abou'. Tha'. Bitch!" Kate mocked, imitating the other girl's tone.

"Oooh!" All five said.

"Face it, then, you're going to be alone for your entire life," Yellow squealed.

"Didn't I jus' agree with tha'?" Kate mused sarcastically. "I don't need no GaGa guy to make me happy." Yet, with all her retorts, she realized that the GaGas were, for once, right. She would be alone for her entire life. "Can anybody find me somebody to love?" she whispered.

Unfortunately, the girl in purple heard her. "Somebody to love you? Yeah, right!"

Blue giggled. "'Ello! That is so not gonna happen!"

"Stop daydreaming, and get a virtual life!"

"Look, someday I'm gonna be free!" Kate yelled back. "Can anybody find me somebody to love!"

A voice came from behind as the five GaGa girls scattered. "Very touching, young lady. But surely you understand that the company loves you. Arrest her."

She felt two pairs of hands grab her sides and she yelled out for all to hear. "Globalsoft equals fascism!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kate's head ached. She couldn't see, but she could hear someone else moaning. Slowly, her eyes adjusted to the light as she sat up. She was on a gurney, facing someone who seemed familiar. Oh, right. It was the nutter from school. He had a funny name, if she remembered right. He was slim, looked almost as if he was ten years old, and had the weirdest haircut she had ever seen. Well, at least he wasn't a GaGa guy. He had something- a piece of cloth, maybe? -around his forehead. It didn't take her long to realize that she had one, too.

"H-hey, g-g-g-GaGa girl! Who are you?" The boy asked. That stutter was annoying, but his voice had an almost... musical quality to it. Although it wasn't anything like any music she had ever heard before. And- unlike GaGa music- she quite liked it.

She groaned inwardly. "I ain't no g-g-g-g-g-GaGa girl, and I don't answer questions," she mocked. "Who're you?"

"W-well, I..." The nutter paused, as if in deep thought. "I-I don't know who I am..."

"Oh," she mocked. "Righ'. Tha' must make things a bit difficult."

"B-But my name is Galileo Figaro."

Yep, it was that nutter with the weird name. "Tha's a cool name," she joked sarcastically.

He smiled, making him look even younger. "Th-thank you!"

The boy obviously missed the sarcasm. "I wasn't being serious," she said, rolling her eyes. "Mind if I shorten it?"

"Well, I-I guess Galileo would be-" He began, but the girl cut him off.

"So, Gazza, tell me," she said, laying on her stomach, supporting her head with her fists, "why were you arrested?"

Gazza looked almost annoyed for a moment, but his face returned to the confused, almost blank stare rather quickly. "B-Because I hear sounds. In my head! W-w-words and sounds," he squeaked. "I-I'm mad, you see."

Kate sat back up. "I was arrested because they don't like the way I DRESS!" She explained, directing the last few words to the guards that were almost certainly posted outside the door.

"I-I think you dress beautifully," he said, the grin returning.

"Nice," she replied. "'Cept coming from a self-confessed nutter... not. Wha' sounds do you hear?"

"I-I don't know-" He said, fidgeting a little. Gazza was most certainly nuts. A real character.

"Do. You. Know. Eh. Nee. Thing?" She asked, enunciating very clearly.

After a short while- although it seemed much longer to her- he responded.

"Well, yes, I... I-I know that I'm different!" He said, seeming a bit surer of himself. "Which is why the clones from the boyzone hate me," he muttered, almost under his breath.

Finally. Something they both understood- loneliness.

"The GaGa girls hate me," she whispered.

Gazza looked over toward her, for once looking serious and less childish. "Well, d-do you know why they hate you?"

His question confused her. How would she know if they hated her because she wore her hair long, or because she didn't own a piece of clothing with 'GaGa' on it?

"Yeah, they think I'm a lesbian because I don't wear pastels," she finally settled on.

He laughed. "They hate you because they're scared of you," he explained. So, the boy wasn't a complete idiot. "Because you're different. You're, well, uh... a-an individual!"

If he had that much knowledge, he might have another spark of brightness. "Wha' do you think they did to us?" She asked, pulling at the bandages on her head.

"I-I don't know," he said, staring down at the floor.

Well, she could only hope. Or maybe he had spent so much time on the outside that he could judge people. Just people "Do you think they'll ever give up and jus' leave us alone?"

"D-don't you see?" He said, with a hint of pride at knowing something she didn't. "We're a threat. Um..." Once more the dark-haired boy looked a bit confused. And then, it looked as if a little diode had appeared atop his head as realization crossed his face. "A-a virus. O-on their hard drive. And they won't give up, until they've p-pointed their l-little arrow at us-"

"-And dragged us to trash," Kate finished. "So... so how do we ge' out?"

"Um... Well, there's a window, over there," Gazza pointed. "A-and you- you never did tell me... w-what is your name, anyway?"

"A-a-a-and you weren't listening when I told you tha' I don't answer questions," she mocked.

"C-come on, I-I told you mine! And I-I can't just k-keep calling you 'you'!"

She sent him an angry glare. "Le's just get out of here."

Treading lightly as to not suggest anything to the guards, she quickly made her way over to the window. She reached up toward the lock and felt a hand brush against hers. Jerking away, she exclaimed, "Wha' are you doing?" to the hand's owner.

Gazza blushed. "Oh, um... I-I just thought you might n-need some help, you know, reaching it," he stuttered.

"You calling me shor', Gazza?"

"N-n-no!"

"I can handle it," she snapped, deactivating the lock.

"D-do you need help g-getting up? C-cause I'll help you, you know, i-if you want."

"I'll manage somehow." She slid the window to the side and pushed herself up, grabbing onto the ground with her nails and inching her way farther out. Her head finally made it outside and she could tell where she was: Globalsoft Headquarters, just outside the GSP. But she slid back down and crumbled back onto the floor.

"A-are you sure you can make it? I-I mean, I can g-g-go first and help you up."

She tried again, with the same result. It was clear that there was no way she would get out of the window without his help, but she could not bring herself to admit it.

Whirling around, she began to snap at him. "Listen, you..." and was suddenly face-to-face, or, more like face-to-neck, very close to him. She looked up and saw him looking down at her expectantly.

"W-what?" He asked, obviously not quite aware of their proximity.

She took a small step back, put her hands on her hips, and sighed. "Help me up," she muttered.

"O-okay, then."

Putting her hands once more on the edge of the window, she felt him lift her up by her waist and she scrunched out, and quickly stepped aside as Gazza easily hopped out.

"So, now wha'? Where do we go?" Kate asked.

"Well, uh... O-out into the night!" He suddenly burst out. "D-down into the streets! We're rebels now! 'Cause, baby-" she winced "-we were born to run."

She threw her bandages down on the ground. "Don't call me 'baby'!" she snapped as he took off in a fit of joy.

"Heh, heh. Sorry; it's just a phrase I heard in my head!" he explained, turning back around and still laughing.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah!"

"Keep it there," she smirked, taking the lead as they walked farther out of the Global Shopping Precinct, and into a new life.
Sign up to rate and review this story