Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > True Light in the Night

Chapter 6

by bright_eyes_in_blue 2 reviews

The truth hurts worse than anything...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-18 - Updated: 2007-07-18 - 948 words

1Moving
The light of the moon casts a ghostly shade over the cemetery as four figures stand solemnly before a solitary grave. A chill wind dances on the air, battling the silence of the unwelcome party.

"Shouldn't someone say something?" Joe mutters darting glances between the others.

"Did you have any suggestions?" Andy states sarcastically, glaring daggers at Joe.

"Me? No...I just thought-" Joe stutters nervously, taken aback by Andy's abruptness.

"What? You think that saying something is going to make it all better? That if we say the right words, Dirty'll jump out his grave and-" Andy rambles in a voice shaking with anger and frustration.

"Hey! Knock it off!" Patrick bursts out interrupting the two from their argument. "Look, this isn't easy for any of us, but I'm sure Dirty wouldn't wasn't us fighting each other, and on his grave no less."

Andy and Joe hang their heads in guilt, mumbling apologies. All the while, Pete stands in static silence, lost in thought. Stepping forward, he kneels to place a hand on the tombstone.

"Dirty...we're just here to say that...well, we miss you. We miss you. Things haven't been the same since you've gone, and they'll never be the same. I'm sorry for what happened, I'm sorry I couldn't help, I'm sorry I couldn't...I'm so sorry Dirty" Pete chokes back sobs as he pours his soul into the stone. "Just know that we love you, Dirty, and we will not rest until that bastard is dead, until every last one of them is dead. Rest in peace, buddy. Know that you are in a better place, you're better off..."

Patrick places his hand on Pete's shoulder in an attempt to ease the pain, but Pete shrugs it off. Standing up, Pete wipes the tears from his eyes, repeating to himself in low tones "Better off...he's better off..."

"Pete...don't talk like that." Patrick says nervously.

Turning to face him in defiance, Pete raises his voice arguing "Why not? Why shouldn't I talk like that?"

Caught off guard, Patrick fumbles for words "Well, it's...it's...disturbing."

Refusing to back down, Pete's voice grows stronger as his temper flares "The truth is always disturbing, Patrick. Face it, Dirty's the lucky one. He only had one brief moment of pain and that was it. Me, I have to endure the rest of my life as this...this monster while he is resting peacefully six feet under. It should be me in that coffin. I would give anything to trade places with him..."

Terrified by these words, Patrick desperately tries to console him "Look, I know it's hard, but you can't-"

Enraged Pete yells, "You don't know what it's like! You have no fucking idea what it's like! To be the very thing I despise, to lust for something that the very thought of would once make me sick to my stomach. To go through each moment knowing that I'm just a step away from becoming one of them-"

"But you're not one of them! You're not!" Patrick screams through tears, hoping to drown out the voice of disbelief.

"For how long? You and I both know I can't control these cravings forever, Patrick. Sooner or later, I'll be just another soulless vampire. You should have killed me that very night! It should be me in that coffin!" Pete screams at the top of his lungs, kicking over the tombstone in his fury.

The four men stand in stunned silence, all eyes resting on the upturned stone. Patrick slowly kneels to raise the gravestone back into place with Joe and Andy following suit. Once in place, they stand up brushing the soil from their hands. Patrick takes a long deliberate gaze at Pete, the sincere compassion in his eyes speaking more than words ever could. Pete's disdainful demeanor melts away as a look of shared suffering passes between the two, an unspoken bond that even they could not explain.

"Well the fact of the matter is you're alive, Pete. We all are. And as long as we're still breathing, we can change. We can fix this. Make things go back to the way they were, or at least something like it. I promise you...we'll find a way. Just please give me more time. I know there's a way to change you back, there has to be. But until we find it, we have to stick together." Patrick says, pleading for a sign of hope.

Pete looks into Patrick's eyes longing to believe him, "But what if we don't find it? What if it's too late?"

Placing a loving hand on his shoulder, Patrick says without the slightest trace of doubt "We will. We didn't give up on you, Pete...please don't give up on us."

Pete pulls Patrick into a comforting embrace, as Andy and Joe gather in to share in this fractured family moment. For a bright shining moment they let the world escape their thoughts as the spirit of their friendship spread like a flame, burning away every fear of the days to come. Knowing that in that moment, they had something worth dying for...more importantly, something worth living for.

Slowly pulling away from the heartfelt group hug, Pete allows a smile to grace his lips, something that the boys had not seen in what seemed like an eternity. In that one smile, they knew that come hell or high water they were in this together, and that's all any of them could ever ask for. Straightening up, Pete gives a thankful look to each of his companions and heaves a sigh of relief.

"Alright boys...let's go kill us some vampires."
Sign up to rate and review this story