Categories > Books > Outsiders > Tender is the Night

She Is

by A_Sideways_Smile 0 reviews

Ellie visits Dally in jail after the fight on the street.

Category: Outsiders - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-07-21 - Updated: 2007-07-21 - 5565 words

1Funny
Disclaimer: We don't own Susie's boys or The Fray's "She Is."

Warning: Language


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For now you're not here
And I'm not there,
It's like we're on our own.


Ellie walked nervously into the small room that served as a lobby, stopping in front of the counter to wait for the officer to notice her. He was focused on what looked like important paperwork. She stood precariously on her tiptoes to see over the folder on the high counter and narrowed her eyes when she spotted the crossword he was so diligently working on. She cleared her throat noisily.

"Yeah?" he asked gruffly without looking up. He grinned at the paper and Ellie watched him fill in another word.

"I'm here to see Dallas Winston," she stated coolly, crossing her arms.

He sighed and sat the folder and word puzzle down with a bang. His gaze narrowed when he saw the kid standing in front of him. "'Scuse me?"

"I'm here," she stated slowly and loudly, "to see Dallas Winston."

"A little young to be hangin' around the jail, huh?" he asked. "Listen, little girl, why don't you go back to your mommy and stop hangin' around bums that are in county lock up?"

"I have every right to be here," she pointed out confidently.

"Visiting hours aren't until Sunday, sweetie," he informed her. He looked over his shoulder at a calendar hanging on the wall. Nodding toward it, he said, "Seems that today is only Tuesday. You'll just have to come back later."

She stared him down. "He might not be in here 'til Sunday and I would like to see him today," she said, pushing her luck but trying to be polite about it.

"Dallas Winston? That kid might as well call this place home, he's here so much. The county oughta start chargin' him room and board," he scoffed. Nodding toward the set of doors across the room he said, "There's the door. See your way out and come back on Sunday. I'll be more than happy to let you visit with Dallas."

His orders were given and the officer picked his pencil back up and started scanning over his word puzzle again. Ellie glared at him with mild disbelief. She wasn't going anywhere until she could, at the very least, see Dally.

Leaning across the counter as best she could, Ellie rudely placed a finger in the middle of the puzzle. "I think that should be an 'a,' not an 'i,'" she told him like he was an idiot.

He glared at her before he snapped the folder shut, hiding the puzzle and nearly giving her a dozen paper cuts. "Now listen here, kid," he began, pointing his finger in her face. "You see yourself out those doors or I'm gonna-"

He was cut off by a folder plunking down in front of him. Ellie looked to find McCoy standing beside her. "Sign her in, Griffins," he said in that same forceful, yet calm voice he used the day before.

Griffins raised his brow slightly, questioning the order before he shook his head slightly as he practically tossed the clipboard in Ellie's direction. Grabbing his crossword pencil, she filled in her name, Dally's name, the time and the date. Placing it back on the counter, she shoved it back in Griffins directions, knocking off his folder and word puzzles.

"Goddamnit," he muttered as he bent down to pick them up.

"I'll show you back to a holding room," McCoy said before he turned back to Griffins. "Be sure you let 'em know Winston's got a visitor before you start a new Reader's Digest."

Griffins just nodded as McCoy grabbed the folder he had just sat down on the counter. Ellie glanced at it as they headed down the hallway. The full name of the prisoner was scrawled across the top of the folder and Ellie smirked. Dally's file.

"Just brought him back from seeing the judge," McCoy said, noticing her attention on the folder. "I tried to be kind in my report, but that'd be a hell of a lot easier if you'd all just give me the story straight."

Ellie ignored the latter comment. "How long is he gonna be in here?"

"Ten days, give or take for good behavior. Not a bad sentence when you consider the charges of public disturbance and assault and battery."

"But you know it was self-defense!" she said as McCoy opened a door for her.

"I don't have any proof that the other boys started it," he explained. "His sentence was fair, but you can be sure that if that boy starts one more fight with Michael Holden, or any of his friends for that matter, the judge ain't gonna be so kind. I'm surprised he was so lenient this time." He gestured to the bare room they entered. "Have a seat. Somebody'll be in with him in a minute."

Ellie sighed as the door shut behind her and she plunked down in an uncomfortable metal chair.

To figure it out, consider how
To find a place to stand.


Dally lay on the bunk, studying his knuckles as he clenched and unclenched his fists. He suggested to the officers the night before that they ought to swing by the hospital to get some x-rays of his hands and make sure he hadn't fractured anything while he was busting open those socs' faces. The fuzz weren't very interested in the idea and ignored him.

"Winston!" an officer called down the hall as he made his way to Dally's cell. He didn't move. "Winston, get off your ass and get over here."

"What the hell do you want?" Dally said, still lying on his back. "I just got back from the judge. I ain't got nothing else on my schedule for about ten more days."

"You got a visitor," Jones replied, pulling out handcuffs from his belt.

"No shit," he muttered to himself. He climbed off the bunk slowly. "Who is it?"

"Ain't gotta clue," the older man said, cuffing Dally's hands through the slot in the bars. "Sure don't know who in their right mind would take the time to visit you."

Dally grinned at him as the door slid open. "That makes two of us, Jones."

They walked down the hall, passing the few other juvenile delinquents that were stretched out in their cells.

"Where the hell are you goin', Winston?"

Dally looked over at the leader of the Tiber Street Tigers. "I got me a visitor, Bridges."

Will smirked at him, wincing through the new shiner on his cheek. "Now, who would come visit a hood like you?"

"That's what me and Jones were just discussin'," he replied, nodding his head in Jones' direction.

"Know for a fact it ain't Sylvia," Will said, that stupid smirk still on his face. "The only one she would come to visit would be me."

"Don't count on that," Tim Shepard muttered from his cell beside Will's. "I think you know from experience she don't wait around. That broad runs around. Ain't that right, Dal?"

"Fuck you, Shepard. You're just pissed 'cause she ain't never come on to you," Dally said.

"That ain't a problem," Tim remarked, saluting Jones as he passed by his cell. "I'll count my blessings."

"Turnin' a little soft, Shepard?" Will asked.

"Bridges, next thing you know, that broad's gonna start chargin' for her trouble," Tim remarked. "She'll charge double for assholes like you with tiger tattoos all up their fucking arm. Looks like it was done by your little brother when he was drunk off his ass, too."

"And what's the Shepard gang gonna get tattooed? Sheep? That's fuckin' tough, Tim," Will blasted sarcastically.

"My boys don't need shitty tattoos for people to tell which gang they belong to. Shit, Bridges, how many of your boys cried when they got theirs?"

"My boys can take that shit. Your boys would probably pass out cold 'fore the needle even touched 'em. Fuckin' pussies."

"You fellas keep it up and I'll stick you both in the same cell," Jones warned. Dally saw Tim smirk through the dim light above his cell. "We'll let you two duke it out to the death and we'll all take bets on the winner."

Dally gave Jones a shit-eating grin. "Wow, Jones, that'll teach 'em."

He didn't respond. He only gave Dally's arm a hard jerk as they turned the corner. He could still hear Will and Tim mouthing off to one another. They were both itching to be dumped in the same cell together so they could continue their brawl that had gotten them both arrested in the first place. All Dallas wanted was to pop them both a good one right in the mouth. Especially if he was going to have to listen to them mouth off to each other about their fucking gangs for the next week and a half.

This is gonna break me clean in two,
This is gonna bring me close to you.


Jones swung open the door to the holding room, and Dally scoffed when he saw Ellie sitting primly behind the table.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he muttered as Jones pulled out the chair across from her and stuffed him down in it. Jones then took to his post in the corner of the small room.

Ellie looked at him for a second, seemingly amused by how short they had cut his hair before he went before the judge. He knew how funny it looked on him, and he didn't need her to keep staring at him like that.

"Nice to see you too, Dal," she said coolly, staring at him with her arms crossed on the cold metal table between them. Realizing the officer wasn't going to leave them alone, she said quietly, "You oughta be nicer to people. Maybe then you'd get more visitors."

Dally smirked at her. "I don't need any visitors. You oughta know that by now, El."

"You come here to hide or something?" she asked, trying to not look at the officer that was staring her down intently.

He shrugged, a grin still on his face. "I come for the free room and board." He leaned back and rested his cuffed hands on the table. She looked at them thoughtfully, her eyes wider than usual as they searched the cold metal and his busted knuckles.

Nodding toward them, she asked, "They hurt?"

He looked at his hands. They hurt like a bitch, but he wasn't about to admit that. Clenching and unclenching them without so much as a flinch, he said nonchalantly, "They been busted open lots of times. This ain't no different."

She nodded and looked down at her own hands quietly. Jones cleared his throat and Dally decided to keep the conversation going rather than go back to his cell so soon.

"How'd you get down here?"

"Steve drove me here once school let out. He's waitin' outside," she told him.

"I take it Steve got that old junker fixed up," Dally appraised. "I thought he said it would take him a while longer."

Ellie nodded. "Yeah, but I guess he and Soda found some part they needed."

"Musta found it pretty cheap," Dally appraised, winking at her. It was probably hot as an open flame.

"Well, yeah," she confirmed, knowing better than to say anything more than that in front of a cop. "It sounds as bad as it looks, but he seems to think it's running just fine."

She kept glancing at Jones, who was still leaned against the wall, looking bored as all get out. "I heard you're in here for a while."

Dally gave her a bored shrug. "I got company. Shepard's in here. Both him and Will Bridges from the Tigers got picked up for fightin' this morning. Tim said the Tigers were messing with his boys, but I think it was really his boneheaded brother screwing with Will's guys." He studied her face for a moment. Her nose looked better than it had the day before, but then again, it wasn't gushing blood like it was the last time he saw her. "How's your nose?"

It was her turn for an indifferent shrug.

"I can't believe you jumped into that fight. I didn't know you were that stupid," he said flatly. Jones pushed himself off the wall at the last comment as if Dally were going to hop out of the chair and kill them both. He bit his jaw to keep from smirking when Ellie's brows furrowed and her eyes narrowed. Pissing her off never got old to him.

"Stupid, huh?" she asked, pulling her arms across her chest, folded indignantly. "Yeah, I guess it was pretty stupid, me getting into that fight to save your sorry ass."

Dally glanced over his shoulder as Jones relaxed again and lean back against the wall.

"I had a handle on that fight," he said, returning his attention to her.

Ellie nodded, a smart aleck look on her face. "Sure," she agreed sarcastically. "All three of them ganging up on you, but you had a handle on the fight. They had you pinned against that car, Dally. You couldn't even move."

Jones glanced at his watch. "Let's wrap it up, you two."

"Is that why you came down here?" Dally snapped. "To rank me out for standing up for you? Hey," he said, putting his hands up and leaning back in his chair, "I coulda just stood there and let them boys do what they wanted, kid."

"Like they would have once they beat you unconscious?" she asked, her tone dropping the sass and turning quiet and serious. "What would have happened then?"

Dally was silent as he let that sink in. The fact was that it never occurred to him. Staring at his hands on the table, he said, "That wouldn't have happened, El." He met her eyes before he gestured between the two of them. "See? We're both here in one piece. I had it handled. 'Sides, there were people on the street. They weren't going to touch you."

"Yeah," Ellie said, and Dally didn't miss the smirk that crossed her face for an instant. "Thanks to me helping you out, right?"

Dally scoffed. "Sure. I guess you found Super Soc's weakness. Pulling his hair and trying to claw his eyes out."

That time, a genuine smile crossed her face and stayed there. She was a real looker when she smiled like that. Not in the flashy way like Sylvia. Ellie was just pretty. She was simple and something different than the trash he usually went for.

"It worked, didn't it?" She paused for a moment, like she was trying to find the right words. "I know you were just trying to help, but next time, could you hold back until the numbers are a little more even?"

"I'll see what I can do," he said before he cleared his throat and glanced back at Jones, who was giving him a cold stare. "I mean, I ain't gonna be fighting anybody no more. I've learned my lesson, just like I told the judge earlier." He gave Ellie a wink as he turned back to look at the officer. Sometimes he liked to feed their egos with the same bullshit he tried to feed to the judge, but they were beyond that these days.

Jones pushed himself off the wall and gestured for Dally to stand up. "You're full of shit, Winston."

"Worth a try," he said as he stood up from the metal chair. Jones opened the door and Dally turned back to Ellie, grinning at her. "Since you came all the way down here to see me, does that mean we're back on?"

Ellie looked up and smiled at him. "I'll have to think about that." Dally glanced over his shoulder, his grin faltering as she murmured, "Dallas Mathias."

He stopped dead and looked at her, a surprised expression on his face. "What?" he asked, baffled as to where that came from.

"How come you never told me your middle name was Mathias?" she asked, her eyes bright with mischief.

He gave her a cool look, a scowl etching its way across his face. "Guess it never came up in conversation."

Her smirk turned into a full fledged smile, and she looked like she might burst into giggles. Dally's eyes narrowed until his gaze became a flat-out glare.

"Where's a name like that come from?"

"Shit," he murmured. "Guess I never told you I was baptized, did I?"

"Ain't that supposed to cleanse you of your sins or something?" she asked.

"Yeah, it fucking burned when they did it to me," he replied. "My momma thought she could save me."

"There ain't nothing that can save you, Winston," Jones scoffed, gripping Dally's arm, ready to lead him back to his cell. "There ain't a confessional in a thousand miles that'd be able to handle you."

"Does your mother know she wasted a lot of time doing that?" Ellie asked.

"Winston here is a lost cause, kid. Why do you think his momma gave him up and sent him back here? He ain't just the spittin' image of his daddy. He's just like that sonufabitch in every way. Ain't that right, Winston?" Jones said harshly.

Ellie's smile faded as she watched Dally's face go dark. If he had decided to break Jones' nose for that comment, he could have, with or without the handcuffs.

"Fuck you, Jones. Your kids gonna grow up to be as big of a prick as you?" he asked, looking at him dangerously.

They stared each other down as Ellie sat quietly, fidgeting with her hands on top of the metal table. The door opened and McCoy walked in, softening the tension only slightly.

"Jones, escort him back. Dallas, be good, and maybe you'll be out on good behavior," McCoy said evenly.

Dallas chortled before cutting his eyes back to Jones. "We'll see about that."

"I wouldn't push it, Winston," McCoy replied, gesturing for them to leave.

It's all up in the air
And we stand still
To see what comes down.


Ellie groaned silently as she listened to Dally mouthing off to Jones the whole way down the hall. She just hoped he didn't lose it and hit the guy. He would be spending the rest of his life in prison.

She followed McCoy out of the room and into the hallway, heading the opposite direction from where Dally was surely making trouble.

"I was heading back to the station," McCoy explained, holding a door open for Ellie to pass through, "but I thought I would stick around. Good thing I did, too," he added.

"Dally wouldn't have done anything," Ellie defended, all too quickly.

McCoy cocked an eyebrow. "I bet," he said doubtfully. "I thought you might have a change of heart and want to spill the beans."

Ellie held his gaze but kept her mouth shut.

"Or I just wasted my time," he muttered to himself. "I'm driving back to the station. Do you need a ride anywhere, kid?"

She shook her head. "I have a friend waiting for me."

McCoy nodded before he headed for the doors.

"Officer McCoy?"

"It's Lieutenant," he corrected as he turned to face her.

"Sorry," she said meekly. "Thanks for helping Dally out with the judge. He was doing the only thing he knew how last night."

"Well, he needs to figure out a better way to solve problems," he replied.

She nodded in agreement. "I'll bring by your handkerchief once I get it cleaned up," she added.

McCoy shrugged slightly. "Don't worry about it. I get a new one three times a year."

Ellie furrowed her brow. "Why three times?"

"Father's Day, my birthday, Christmas," he answered, ticking off the reasons on three fingers.

Ellie laughed quietly, and McCoy smiled at her. "Take care, kid." He stopped at the front door and glanced over his shoulder at her. "And try to make sure I don't see you or Dallas around for a while, huh?"

"I'll try my best," she said. From the look on his face, Ellie could tell he didn't think that was much of a promise. She couldn't blame him.

To figure it out,
Consider how
To find a place to stand.


"So, how was the jailbird?" Steve asked from the fender of his car. It was an Olds that Soda helped him salvage from the junkyard earlier that year. Larry let him store it at the garage, as long as he kept it in the back with a tarp stretched across it when he wasn't working on it. Larry didn't want anybody thinking his business was taking care of junked up cars. Steve said he still had a few kinks to work out, but it was drivable, which was good enough in their neighborhood.

"Stubborn as ever," Ellie replied, heading to the passenger side door as Steve headed to the driver's side.

"Yeah, well, what else is new?"

"Nothing, I guess," she agreed, watching out the window as he pulled out into the street and revved the engine loud enough she wanted to cover her ears. "You've got to do something about how loud this junker is."

"It ain't a junker, Ellie, it's an antique. Besides, it's supposed to be loud," he told her matter-of-factly.

Ellie rolled her eyes and stared blankly out the window as Steve rambled on about how great his piece of shit car was.

"Me and Soda scouted out the right parts for this engine," he said with a laugh as she ignored him. "It's a Rocket V8 and you're callin' it a junker. I can't believe it. Shit, El, when this car was first bein' sold, it was one of the fastest cars out there. I'm gonna have to test it out this weekend."

She zoned him out, wondering if Dally made it back to his cell without breaking Jones' jaw and if he was going to wind up spending the rest of his natural life behind bars.

"Since you came all the way down here to see me, that mean we're back on?"

She could still hear the cockiness in his voice because he knew as well as she did that she'd be waiting for him when he got out. And she knew as well as he did that they would kiss and make up and do what God only knew they would end up doing.

"Ellie? El-la? Hello?"

Ellie shook the visions of Dallas out of her head and looked at Steve. "What?"

"Did you hear a word I said?" he asked.

She shook her head and replied, "No."

He gave a curt laugh and watched the road for a few seconds before he said, "While you was sittin' there daydreaming about Dallas, I said that me and Soda are gonna take Evie and Sandy and shoot the loop in this baby come Friday night."

"Are you really going to do that when it still looks like this?" she asked.

"Looks like what? She's a beauty," he said, patting the dash. "Maybe bang out a few dents in the fender, a new paint job if I can afford it, and she'll be as good as new."

"Oh, Steve. It still looks like a piece of shit. Are you at least going to find some decent hub caps for it?"

Steve grinned. "I've already got some in mind. I'm going tonight to pick them up."

"Does Evie know you intend to shoot the loop in this thing?" Ellie asked.

"No," he said. "It's going to be a surprise."

"That's 'cause you know she won't want to do it," Ellie pointed out with a grin.

"She'll be fine with it," Steve said, shrugging it off. "She's been buggin' me about not having a car anyway, so this'll keep her happy."

"Uh huh. Keep telling yourself that," she said.

"At least I have a car. Dallas don't have shit," he said, an edge to his voice.

"He can take Buck's car all he wants," Ellie defended.

"He can't, he just does. Buck doesn't care if he borrows it every once in awhile. I've seen Buck try to knock Dally's lights out for just takin' that car whenever he damn well pleases," Steve said, swinging a right on what felt like two wheels.

"I ain't never heard Buck say anything to him," Ellie said.

"Right. You've been to Buck's, what, once?" He glanced at her before turning his attention back to the road.

"Dally says Buck just lets him borrow it when he needs it," Ellie told him. "Buck just tells him to fill it up when he brings it back."

"Sure, that's what he tells Dally now. How do you think Buck lost them teeth in the first place?" Steve asked. "They don't exactly get along all the time, but he lets him stay there so damn much 'cause he wins him so much damn money."

"Are you always going to be like this?"

"Like what?" Steve asked, pulling up in front of the Curtises.

"Pissed off that I'm dating him?" she asked, dropping the annoyance from her tone.

"Yeah, probably," he said, nodding. "Just don't let him touch you."

Ellie rolled her eyes. "He's my boyfriend, Steve. He's supposed to touch me."

"God," he groaned, pushing his door open and climbing out. "Just don't tell me anything."

She winked at him over the hood of the car. "Will do, Stevie."

This is going to bring me clarity,
This'll take the heart right out of me.


Dally counted numbers in his head to keep his cool until he thought he would have no choice but to bust Jones in the mouth. He kept trying to get a rise out of him by talking about good ol' Charlie Winston. Dallas only resisted because he wasn't going to give the asshole the satisfaction of seeing him locked up for longer than already planned.

Out on the streets, Dally may have a negative reputation with the fuzz- which was always a positive in his book- but he was one of the better behaved hoods when he was behind bars. Though he didn't have much of a problem disturbing the peace and being arrested, things were different when he was behind bars. He hated being jailed. Sure, he'd brag about his record until he was blue in the face, but he hated the powerlessness of being locked up.

Maybe it had something to do with being arrested when he was ten. He had been so sure his momma would drop everything and pick him up as soon as she got the call, but when she didn't show up right away, Dally suddenly wasn't the mouthy ten-year-old hood the fuzz had arrested. He was the ten-year-old kid that was ready to shit his pants until she finally showed up the next morning. He really thought he was going to spend the rest of his life in that tiny cell.

Man, he hated jail.

Jones kept running his mouth as he uncuffed Dally at his cell, but arguing down the line drowned him out.

"Would you just shut the fuck up?" Tim cursed.

"You're just pissed because you know my boys would kill yours anytime, day or night," Will countered.

"Would you both just shut the fuck up?" Dally hissed as Jones slammed the bars with a loud click that never failed to turn his stomach. His suggestion was met with a chorus of quiet agreements from the other boys in the cells around him, as Jones ignored them all and headed back to whatever job the lazy bastard did between monitoring visitation hours. "None of us gives a shit whose gang is better. Both of 'em are just as shitty as the other."

"Says the candyass that ain't even in a real gang," Will muttered.

"I don't need to be in a fucking gang, Bridges. Ain't no one tells me what the fuck to do."

Will was quiet for a moment, a welcomed sound for the whole block, until he opened his mouth again. "Who the hell was visiting you, anyway?"

"Just some broad," Dally replied, sitting down on the hard bench that lined his cell.

Some broad. Ellie sure was full of surprises. He didn't even know why she came to see him anyway; it wasn't like she or anyone else ever had before. Maybe she wanted to yell at him or cry about his sentence but restrained herself when Jones didn't leave the room. Hell, maybe she just wanted to come and have a look-see of where he was living for the next week and a half. And now she fucking knew his middle name. He wanted to laugh and pound his fist into the cement wall at the same time.

"That chick that was at Buck's a while back?" Will scoffed and slid off his bunk. Sauntering up to the bars and looking into Dally's cell, Will rested his forearms on the bars. "She ain't much of a looker. Not like Sylvia, anyway." Dally resisted the urge to reach up and snap his arms right then. It wouldn't have been hard, given the way the bastard was standing. Will knew it too and give him a tight smile.

"You mean she ain't as much of a tramp as Sylvia," Tim corrected.

Will looked over his shoulder to the other side of his cell. "What's with this broad? You bangin' her too, Shepard?"

Tim gave Will a phony grin that looked misplaced on him.

"Nah," Dally said, a smile on his own face to match Tim's. "She's with me and she don't date shit like you two."

Will scoffed again and Dally wondered if he could beat him in a fight through iron bars.

"Sure. 'Til the next best thing comes along, huh? But she don't look like she's got much to offer. How 'bout when you're done with her you give me a try and I can see for myself?" Will wiggled his eyebrows until they couldn't be seen under the dark, greased hair that hung over his forehead.

Dally was ready to try a fist fight through the bars that separated them when one of the rookie officers made his way down the row of cells, doing a head count and making sure nobody was bleeding on the floor from a brawl. It looked like he had pretty good timing, being fresh meat and all.

The officer gave all of the inmates the same scowl that looked like he was just trying to hide the terrified look on his face as he slowly walked by. Will grinned back at Dally.

"Shit, man. The night that broad came to Buck's lookin' for you, Sylvia was pissed somethin' awful."

Dally thought the teeth in Bridges' head would look better shattered on the floor, but he just leaned his head back against the wall.

Will continued, "Swear to God, Winston, I ain't never had a better lay in my whole life than that night."

"We got a problem over here, boys?" the rookie asked, standing far away from the bars.

"No, sir," Will said with a two-finger salute. "Move along, Porky," he muttered, loud enough for the officer to hear.

The kid looked at him for a long moment, losing the staring contest and decided to take Will's advice and move along.

"Mmm, I'm gonna have fun with that one," Will commented. "It'll be too fuckin' easy."

"Christ. Do you ever close your fucking mouth?" Dally asked.

He knocked his fist against the wall behind him as Will started running his mouth again. He decided not to punch anything made of cement ever again with busted knuckles and walked over to the bunk as Bridges kept on talking. The jail issue mattress was thin, but it still managed to be lumpy as hell. Either way, it was better than sleeping on a concrete floor.

Closing his eyes, he rubbed his face and tried to drown Will's voice out of his head. He kept thinking about Ellie and how she was the first one to ever visit him in jail. He really didn't give a damn if anyone came; he actually didn't want anyone there. It made the time go faster and it made it so he didn't miss anything on the outside. Now he missed her. How he let that fucking happened was beyond him.

He could have dove across that little metal table and kissed her the way they had in Buck's car the day he came to the school. He would have too if Jones hadn't been in the room with them. Damn prick probably would have clubbed him across the back for even touching her.

Dally smirked to himself as he remembered the way she'd smiled and opened her mouth to protest when he asked if they were back on. She knew as well as he did that she couldn't resist. She'd be waiting for him and he was going to do more than just make up for the time he was spending behind bars.

His lips were itching already. A smoke would help that.

"Anybody got a cancerstick?"

She is everything I need
That I never knew I wanted;
She is everything I wanted.
Sign up to rate and review this story