Categories > Games > Zelda > The Legend Begins

Miniras

by Janus_Kamaren 0 reviews

War erupts in Hyrule as Ganondorf Dragmire attempts to conquer the kingdom. King Harkinian gathers his armies in preparation to liberate his people. In the middle of all this is a young man named L...

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Ganon, Ganondorf, Impa, Link, Zelda - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-21 - Updated: 2007-07-22 - 1059 words

0Unrated
I do not own the Legend of Zelda or anything related to it. All original characters are the property of me.



THE LEGEND BEGINS



By: Janus Kamaren



Chapter 6: Miniras



It had been a week after Link and Zelda made it to Miniras. The massive fortress of gray stone held all the people of Hyrule. Many families, however, had to stay in one room, and soldiers stayed in the barracks. Provisions that would last months were prepared. But the army was far from ready to launch an attack on Castle Dragmire itself, the fortress of Ganon built on Death Mountain. Hyrule would have to continue waiting for Calatia's response to the proposal of an allied assault on their enemy, whose influence would not be contained in Hyrule for long.



Link stood on one of the balconies of Miniras, overlooking the lush green plains and forests of Hyrule. His home country was a beautiful sight. Looking at it, no one would know that this land was torn by war and bloodshed. Again, his thoughts turned to his friend Nathan and his selfless sacrifice. Link looked to Death Mountain, standing proud and tall. His eyes narrowed, knowing that the home of his best friend's murderer was there. Link held a burning desire in his heart to personally face and slay Ganon. But each time this came to mind, he immediately shot it down. He couldn't possibly defeat the Evil King. Ganon was too strong. He knew too well how to control the powers of darkness. He also held the Triforce of Power. No one knew where he had found the relic of the gods. All they knew was that while it was in his hands, few could stand up to him, if any.

Hearing footsteps, Link turned to see King Harkinian.

"My lord," he said, bowing.

"Good afternoon, Link," the King replied, walking up next to him.

"How may I be of service?"

"Actually, there was something that I wanted to tell you," the King replied. "Zelda told me about what happened to your friend Nathan." Link looked downward. The King continued, looking over his kingdom. "In times like these, heroes come forth. Meek and modest men show their inner strengths. Sadly, however, we lose many of these men. There's too few of them left in the world these days.

"It reminds me of one I had the honor of knowing about five years ago. It was during the Moblin raids. A group of Moblins ambushed my men and me. My bodyguards all fell, except for a few, who gave in to fear and ran, only to run into more Moblins and be killed themselves. Of course, at the time, Ammon was leading another group and was at a different part of Hyrule. I had been knocked off my horse and lost my sword. A Moblin chieftain came down on me. But in the midst of all the confusion, one soldier stood before my enemy. This brave man fought the creature. He soon slew it, but his wounds were mortal." The King took a breath, remembering the experience. "He did not live long afterward." He looked at Link, who was still looking downward.

"That hero's name was Arn," Harkinian said. Link suddenly looked up.

"My-"

"Yes, Link. Your father. He gave his life so that I could live. He was a true hero. His devotion to duty was unmatched. He was a master with a sword. And his love for you and Medilia was undying.

"You see, Link, he may not be written into the scrolls of history, but your father's memory will live on, so long as he is remembered. Much like your friend Nathan. He made his decision, and nothing can change that. All you can decide is what to do now. Ask yourself what he would want you to do." Link was silent, thinking over the King's words.

"I hope that I've helped you a little," Harkininan said, starting to leave. He stopped, looked over his shoulder.

"And Link?" Link looked back to him. "Thank you again for bringing my daughter back." He left, leaving Link to his thoughts.


A few days later...


"Then... there's no way that we can retrieve the Triforce of Wisdom?" Zelda asked Impa.

"Not necessarily. Enough stories were spread about the Labyrinth that no one was brave enough to go in by themselves. Large groups always went in, which was always their- Zelda, are you listening to me?" Impa demanded. Zelda didn't respond; she really wasn't listening to her caretaker. In fact, she was staring in a different direction. Impa looked in the same direction, finding Link. He was a few yards away from them, going down the corridor that joined the one Impa and Zelda were in. Not noticing them, he continued down his path, finally disappearing from their view. Impa looked back to Zelda.

"I see that, young lady," she chuckled. Zelda immediately faced her nursemaid, blushing.

"S-see what?"

"Don't worry," Impa laughed. "I think he's handsome, too." Zelda's cheeks turned an even deeper red. She tried to change the topic.

"Sorry... what did you say?"

"The Labyrinth, or Hyrule's most dangerous dungeon, or whatever you like to call it, was designed to hold back large groups. It's still dangerous for one person, but one would still have a better chance of making it."

"What is this about one person entering the Labyrinth?" Link asked, surprising Impa and Zelda. They hadn't noticed that he had come up behind them.

"Oh, hello, Link," Impa said. "We were just talking about the Labyrinth."

"We sent the Triforce of Wisdom there," Zelda explained.

"And one person could get in there alone?" Link asked.

"Yes," Impa said. She didn't like where this was going. "But we don't-"

"The Triforce of Wisdom would help us in the fight against Ganon?" Link interrupted.

"In a sense, yes," Impa stammered, futilely trying to change the young man's mind.

"I'll go," Link stated. Impa hung her head.

"Link-" Zelda started to say.

"I'm going." Both Impa and Zelda knew that they couldn't possibly change Link's mind. Both also knew that if anyone would be able to successfully retrieve the Triforce of Wisdom and not use it for their own gain, it was Link.

"I'll go get my equipment ready." And with that, Link turned around and headed to his room.






Sign up to rate and review this story