Categories > Games > Zelda > The Legend Begins

Friend, yet Foe

by Janus_Kamaren 0 reviews

War erupts in Hyrule as Ganondorf Dragmire attempts to conquer the kingdom. King Harkinian gathers his armies in preparation to liberate his people. In the middle of all this is a young man named L...

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Romance - Characters: Ganon, Ganondorf, Impa, Link, Zelda - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-21 - Updated: 2007-07-22 - 848 words

0Unrated
I do not own the Legend of Zelda or anything related to it. Nathan, Ammon, Talius, Orgis, Ophelius, and Mandrag are all the property of me. However, the name Mandrag is the property of Nintendo.



THE LEGEND BEGINS



By: Janus Kamaren



Chapter 10: Friend, yet Foe



Link ran into the darkened halls of Miniras, sword drawn. Bodies had been thrown against the wall, and everything was dark and cold. Tables had been knocked over, curtains and decorations shredded and destroyed.

"Hello?" he called. No answer. He peered around a corner into the dining hall. He walked into it, still finding no one.

Suddenly, Link heard the sounds of a sword being drawn and heavy approaching footsteps. He turned around, blocking his attacker's strike. Finally seeing his enemy's face, Link gasped.

"Link..." Nathan said. It was as if he was forcing it out of his mouth. "Kill me..."

"What? Nathan, no!" A look of hatred passing over his face, Nathan struck again.

"What has he done to you?" Link cried, deflecting the attack. Nathan stood there, shaking. He looked like he was fighting for control of his own body.

"Can't... stop..." he said with a strained voice. "Kill me! Only... way." He cried out in pain, clutching his hair. Malice taking over him again, he lunged at Link. Link rolled back over a table, Nathan jumping up onto it, continuing his fierce onslaught. Link, pinned on the ground, parried his possessed friend's blows. He kicked at one of the table legs, knocking Nathan over. Link quickly got to his feet and backed away. Nathan jumped up and charged him. Widening and strengthening his stance, Link parried and pushed Nathan's blade, disrupting his pattern. Nathan punched Link across the face, and slashed down towards Link's head. Link spun out of the way and kicked Nathan in the side. He stepped back, looking at his friend. He couldn't believe that Nathan was alive, nor could he believe that his best friend was now his enemy, a loyal servant of Ganon. Nathan, still controlled by dark magic, saw the Master Sword in Link's hand. Link saw a flash of uncertainty in his eyes, but it was suddenly replaced by one of warmth. A grin came to Nathan's face.

"You can do it," he whispered. The evil tried to take over him again. "Help me... end this... please..." He hunched over, crying out and grasping his head. He looked up again, his face once again filled with abhorrence. Raising his katana, he charged.

Do not fear evil, no matter what form it may take.

Farore's words passed through Link's mind. He deflected Nathan's attacks, sticking completely with defensive moves.

Do not fear evil, no matter what form it may take.

He couldn't do it. He knew there was no other way, but he could not bring himself to slay his best friend.

Do not fear evil, no matter what form it may take.

It was the only way. One of them would have to die. But Link couldn't bring himself to do it.

Do not fear evil, no matter what form it may take.

Nathan was gone. Unless Ganon was killed, there was no way he could be brought back. But Link couldn't possibly get to Ganon with Nathan attacking him.

Do not fear evil, no matter what form it may take.

He was no longer Nathan. This was a monster Link was facing, not his best friend. It was evil, and it had no other desire than to kill him.

Do not fear evil, no matter what form it may take.

It had to be done.

Do not fear evil, no matter what form it may take.

Crying loudly, Link pushed back against Nathan's sword, causing Nathan to stumble. Link kicked him in the stomach, knocking him down, but Nathan threw himself into a backward roll and got back up, deflecting Link as he rose. He launched another barrage of strikes. Their swords clashed, the sound of metal against metal echoing throughout the dining hall. Link fought as hard as he could, determined to defeat the evil that had taken his friend, and thus end Nathan's pain and torment. They parried and counterattacked each other, neither of the warriors letting up in their attacks. Suddenly, Link found an opening. He knocked Nathan's sword out of the way and thrust the Master Sword into his stomach. Gasping, Nathan dropped his sword. Link quickly removed the blade and caught Nathan as he fell, slowly lowering him to the ground. The evil left Nathan's eyes.

"Good job..." he said, coughing.

"Nathan, no," Link whispered.

"Ganon has Zelda... Save her... Link..." Nathan's voice was getting weaker. Blood was starting to slowly trail out of his mouth. Link was terrified.

"Nathan, please. I'm so sorry," he said, tears welling up in his eyes. Nathan smiled softly at his friend. He looked past Link, his eyes widening.

"Father," he choked. "It's been a while... Take me with you..." His eyes closed, his body going limp in Link's arms.

All was quiet aside from a young man's cries of anguish.
Sign up to rate and review this story