Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Alphabet Soup

"D" is for Daring

by kirayasha 0 reviews

Collection of 26 Jakotsu-centric challenge fics. They can either be set in the feudal era or modern times. The idea is based off of Killa Kay's Gravitations short stories called "A to Z."

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance - Characters: Bankotsu, Jakotsu, Naraku, Rin, Sesshoumaru, Other - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-07-24 - Updated: 2007-07-24 - 2458 words - Complete

0Unrated
Alphabet Soup


By kira


Author's note: The following is a series of Jakotsu-centric challenge fics written from a list my dear friend and writing partner, Vega-chan, came up with for me. It's is based on Killa Kay's awesome collection of Gravitation short stories called "A to Z." (You can find them in my favorite stories section over at ff.net.) Due to the nature of the word given, they can either be what I call "canon timeline" which is set before their first deaths or AU which is set in modern times and will be set in the "world" I created in my story, "Homecoming."

FYI: An onnagata is a male Kabuki actor who specializes in women's roles.

A noren is the decorative half curtains that separate rooms in a traditional Japanese home. They are also hung outside restaurants to announce the specialty within.




"D" is for Daring

The young med student opened the door and stared at the person standing there.

"Hi, I'm here to answer your ad for a roommate..."

"Oh, yes... come in," the premed student replied as he moved out of the way to let the person in.

"Thanks... I'm Hibiya Jackson."

"Hibiya Jackson...?" he repeated.

"Yeah... I know it sucks, but I didn't have any say in the matter."

"I'm sorry, Hibiya-san. I was up all night studying for exams and my brain's a bit fuzzy." He smiled ruefully.

"Sorry. You want me to come back another time...?"

"No... You're here and I'm here and I'm Hirata Suiichi."

"Thanks... I thought you were going to send me away like everyone else."

"Why?"

"Why...? You do know I'm not a woman, don't you?"

The med student nodded.

"I'm gay too..." The cross-dresser smiled.

The med student stared at him blankly. "And...?"

"You don't care? Are you gay too?"

"No..."

The cross-dresser shrugged. "Oh... So are you going to show me around, or do you already have a roommate?"

"I'm sorry. Here." The med student knelt, picked up a pair of house slippers and set them in front of the cross-dresser who changed into them.

"Thanks... so what are you studying?"

"I'm premed. And you?"

"Theater. I want to be an onnagata when I grow up," the cross-dresser said saucily.

The med student laughed. "Come, let me show you around. It's not much, but the rent's cheap."

"That's good to hear. I can't afford my place any more and my father won't help me out as he's not too happy about my choice of a career. As if I'd be happy sitting at a desk all day like he does in a suit and tie..."

Suikotsu nodded. "This is the kitchen," he said as he moved aside the noren and stepped inside as the cross-dresser dutifully followed.

"Nice... and I take it the other room's the living area slash bedroom?"

"Yeah..."

"So when can I move in?" the cross-dresser said daringly.

"Uh..."

"Oh, not you too," he said bitterly. "I swear I won't hit on you even if I do think you're cute, and I promise not to hit on your friends... Come on," he pleaded. "I do have one redeeming quality..."

"What's that?"

"You don't have to worry about me stealing your girlfriends."

They laughed.

"You can move in whenever you're ready."

"Thanks..."

888

"You know, Suiichi, you could use a nickname to keep you from getting boring," the cross-dresser said as he applied his makeup, in another small feat of daring as he was worried his friend would think he was coming on to him.

"Yeah...? And what do you propose, my friend?" the premed student looked up from his textbook.

"You're going to be a doctor, right?"

"Yeah..."

"So doctors know about bones, so I thought Suikotsu would suit you and since it's so cute, I'm changing my name from Jackson which I absolutely loathe to Jakotsu."

Suikotsu laughed. "You're not serious."

"Am too..." the cross-dresser smirked. "It's different, not to mention our names sound close enough alike for people to ummm... stop giving me a hard time about stuff..." he trailed off softly. "Some of the guys on campus feel threatened by me... as if I'm such a commanding presence."

Suikotsu chose his words carefully. "You really are a commanding presence, especially on the stage."

"Yeah...?"

"Yeah... and they only give you a hard time because you let them."

"What do you mean I let them?"

"Well, you take your studies so seriously that when you make yourself up, it's like you become a woman. Most guys are age aren't that secure in their masculinity, hell most guys period aren't that secure, and someone as free and secure as you are naturally makes them uncomfortable. So they lash out at you instead of trying to deal with their own feelings."

Jakotsu quirked an eyebrow at his friend as he said, "I take it we a psyche exam coming up again, hunh?"

"Am I that obvious?"

"Yeah... but it's part of your charms, Sui."

"Oh... so do you mind quizzing me?"

"Not at all..."

888

"Come, we're going," Jakotsu said as he grabbed Suikotsu by the arm and led him backstage.

"You're crazy, Jak, they're never going to let us back there."

"They will too if you act like you belong!"

"I don't know..." Suikotsu said as he found himself caught up in another one of Jakotsu's feats of daring. "Queen's a huge band and there's got to be a ton of security. They're going to know we don't belong there."

"Fine, if you don't want to go, I'll go myself."

Suikotsu tried a different tack. "I don't think you're Freddie Mercury's type."

Jakotsu stopped. "What do you mean, I'm not his type? He's not really gay?"

Suikotsu sighed. "He may not be, Jak, as I heard otherwise. Then again I've heard he is and that he likes ummm...'truck drivers.'"

"Truck drivers...?" Jakotsu blinked.

"Yeah... rough, low-life type men who look like him. You're too pretty and delicate. Besides, when you think about it what kind of men do you like?"

"Ummm..."

"Does 'rugged masculine types who are bisexual' ring a bell?"

"Well... ummm... I'm stupid to try this, hunh?"

"No, not stupid, just daring and brave," Suikotsu said with a smile. "Seriously, if you want to get backstage for the fun of getting there and seeing what it's like, let's do it. But if you're going to act like all the other idiot groupies, let's go home."

"Okay..."

888

"I'm sorry, Jackie... I swear it won't happen again."

"You're damn right it's not going to happen, Naraku! And you want to know why? I'm fucking sick and tired of you cheating on me all the damn shitting time, that's why!! Now get your stuff and get the fuck out of here!" Jakotsu said as he dared to do the unthinkable and throw his lover out of his life.

"Awe, come on, Jackie, it's you I love... She didn't mean a thing. I swear it," Naraku said as he wrapped his arms around his lover.

Jakotsu stiffened under his touch. "Get your hands off me and get out of here, or must I call the police and have you forcibly removed?" he said with deadly calm.

"I said I was sorry, what do you want me to do to make it up to you?"

"Naraku, you just don't get it do you? It's not some fucking slut you picked up in some club this time; this is my best friend's wife!! How could you do that to me?!"

"I don't know... I guess I wasn't thinking."

"Oh you were thinking alright! Thinking with your cock instead of your brains... but then I should have expected that from you by now, hunh? Just get the hell out of here and leave me alone..." the cross-dresser said tiredly as he closed his eyes.

After his lover had left, Jakotsu, in another feat of daring after throwing his lover out of his life, picked up the phone and dialed it.

"Uh, Sui... I'm so sorry... I feel so badly about this that words can't even begin to describe it..."

888

Jakotsu walked into the empty studio, his footsteps echoing throughout the place as he looked for signs of life. He swallowed his fear about seeing Naraku again and kept going. This could be his big break if he was daring enough and the thought of finally kissing "Kabuki Dinner Theater" goodbye gave him the courage to face his fears head on.

"Hello...? Anyone here?"

"Oh hi!" A petite brunette hurried over to him. "I'm sorry; no one's here yet." She smiled warmly at him. "I'm Rin Noto." She stuck her hand out towards him. "Sorry, I keep forgetting; it's last name first here... Noto Rin."

Jakotsu smiled. "I'm Hibiya Jakotsu. And don't worry about it," he said as he shook her hand. "I was also born and raised in the states."

"You were?"

"Yeah... I came back here around your age too... Ummm. So what do you around here?"

"I'm with the band." She laughed. "I'm dating one of the guitarists. I met him a year ago at a record signing and asked me to come with him, so I did. My parents weren't too happy about it though... But he swore on his life that I would behave and that his sister-in-law would look out for me and they gave in. Personally, I think he paid my dad off."

"Hey, Brat! I heard that!" Sesshomaru said as he came over to them. "Damn... You're even prettier in person."

"Thank you... ah?"

Rin giggled. "The geezer is my boyfriend, Sessh. Yeah, he's a dirty old man with a Lolita complex, so watch out for him."

"Keep that up and I'll ship you back home to your parents."

"Yeah, but you won't cuz I have you so whipped you'd die without me."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yeah!"

"Don't flatter yourself."

Jakotsu coughed. "Ummm...." he said helplessly.

"Sorry," they chorused.

"Here's the script," Sesshomaru said as he handed it to the cross-dresser. "Why don't you look it over and get a feel to what we're going to do so we can do a couple of walkthroughs today. If all goes well, I guess we can shoot it tomorrow."

"Okay..."

"Jackie!"

The cross-dresser flinched at the sound of his voice and it took every ounce of nerve and daring to turn around and face his ex. Plastering a polite smile on his face, Jakotsu said sweetly, "Naraku."

"Long time, no see, eh?"

"Yeah..."

"Ummm, Sessh and I need to go see about making arrangements to get you a dressing room for tomorrow." Rin pushed her boyfriend away, leaving Jakotsu standing there with his ex.

"So what have you been doing with yourself?"

"Nothing much other than helping Sui put the pieces of his life back together," Jakotsu said tartly.

Naraku chuckled. "Oh come on, it can't have been that bad. Kikyou said their marriage was dead."

"Kikyou just told you what you wanted to hear just like everyone else around you does." Plucking up his courage, Jakotsu mentally dared himself to go on. "Just like I did all those years ago."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah... Now if you don't mind, I have work to do."

Naraku smiled seductively at him. "There's plenty of time for that later." He reached for the script.

"I don't think so. The time for that has long passed," he said. Jakotsu surprised himself by saying that as he did not think he had the daring to finally voice out loud what his heart knew all along. He was finally over Naraku. And judging by the look on Naraku's face as he pushed past him, his ex could not believe it either.

888

Jakotsu sat on the floor of the tiny apartment he had once shared with Suikotsu, wrapping up bits of his life and stowing it away in a box. They had both lived here off and on; sometimes with each other and sometimes alone, except for the time Jakotsu had lived there with Naraku. Now that both of them were successful in their chosen careers, it was time to give up the apartment. Suikotsu had moved out two days ago to be closer to the clinic where he worked as a pediatrician, and now it was Jakotsu's turn to move out and into the spacious apartment he found in the heart of Tokyo. But the cross-dresser was finding it hard to muster up the courage and daring he needed to move on with his life. Suddenly the new apartment felt huge and cavernous and he wondered if he had chose it with the thought of his best friend moving in with him. Sighing softly, Jakotsu became lost in his thoughts.

"I've finished packing up the kitchen for you and if you done in here maybe we can get a bite to eat somewhere?" Bankotsu said as he padded softly into the room. "Jak?" He knelt in front of his boyfriend. "Earth to Jakotsu... Earth to Jakotsu. Hello? Is anyone home?" the younger man said playfully.

"Hunh?" the cross-dresser said as he pulled himself out of his reverie.

"You okay? You look like you're going to cry or something."

Jakotsu nodded. "I'm fine; Ban..." he sighed. "It's just that, well... I ummm... I learned a lot about how to be daring and brave here and I also got very comfortable here... I know there were times too when I had moved out but I always came back in the end." He smiled ruefully. "And the only unhappy time I had here was when I had one disastrous boyfriend move in with me."

They laughed.

"But..." Jakotsu said softly.

"But what?"

"Well... the new apartment is so big..." He smiled helplessly at Bankotsu.

"Yeah... they're hard to find and even harder to fill up..."

Jakotsu nodded. "Yeah..." The cross-dresser fell silent as he worked up the courage for one final daring move and Bankotsu, as if sensing his mood, quietly gave him the space to work things out. "Ban...?"

"Yeah...?"

"I know we haven't been together that long and all..."

"But?" Bankotsu prompted.

"Do you want to move in with me?" Jakotsu could not believe he actually dared say that to someone he had only recently started to date. But somehow things felt different with Bankotsu and the cross-dresser started to panic over what his new boyfriend would say. He was deathly afraid the younger man would think he was crazy because he already had a huge place of his own.

"I'd love to."

"You would?"

"Yeah..."

"Awesome!" Jakotsu said, throwing his arms around a startled Bankotsu, as he finally got up enough daring to let himself be really and truly happy...

888

/Author's end note: Next up is "E" is for Eternal/
Sign up to rate and review this story