Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 7 > Sable and ivory

Calm before the storm

by Marilena 5 reviews

Chapter 10!

Category: Final Fantasy 7 - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Characters: Vincent Valentine, Yuffie Kisaragi - Published: 2007-07-25 - Updated: 2007-07-25 - 973 words

1Exciting
Thanks to Novocain for beta-reading, and to all of you who have reviewed. You are great!

Chapter 10

Calm before the storm

The wind was always cold and salty in the heart of the ocean. It brought to her ears the sound of the waves against the prow, a musical synthesis as rough and unsteady as it was primitively real. As long as she could dwell in the chambers of her imagination, enhanced by the mystic night scenery, Yuffie could almost ignore the slight numbness in her legs from the long trip on an uncomfortable boat seat.

It was one of the things people never expected of her. Yuffie the Brat enjoying the tranquillity of a sea travel? Cid would probably say "Cut the fuckin' crack." In reality, she didn't like the monochromatic evaluation. It meant she rarely could enjoy her trip to La-La Land, where fantasy about a thousand materia, valuable shurikens, and Vincent in a bathing suit became real. However, with Vincent taking a nap on his seat, she could stop trying to annoy someone and either watch him sleep, which got tiring after the first four minutes of absolute lack of change in his expression, or just relax and gather the fruits of her more than active, colorful imagination.

She gave a cheshire smile to no one in particular as she became absorbed with her current day-dream. It was about her being a slave - skimpy outfit and all - who was forced to work as a materia dealer by her ruthless boss - who looked kind of like a Reno and Barret-when-she-called-him-a-marshmallow crossbreed - and was saved miraculously by a mysterious vampire knight with long, dark hair and burning eyes.

Who could that be...?

She was laughing loudly at her own joke to herself when a sudden movement from Vincent's sleeping form caught her attention. He sat up and fixed his headband, which had moved a little on the one side while he was sleeping and made him look like an evil pirate of sorts.

"Welcome back to the land of the living, Sleeping Beauty."

He took a moment to fully wake up, and then he graced her with an apathetic look, copyright Vincent Valentine.

"Where are we?" he asked, his voice hoarse from sleep.

"Uh... in the middle of the ocean? But, hey, now that you mention it, I think we've been going in circles! Doesn't this wave look familiar to you?" she said loudly with an exasperated look, wrapping her hands around her middle.

When he didn't seem like he was going to reply, she dropped the act. Getting him angry with her would do no good, after all.

"See that dot over there?" She pointed at somewhere in the horizon.

He nodded.

"It's not part of your dialogue. It is Wutai," she said, flashing him a grin and digging out of one of her many pockets a small plastic bag. In closer observation, he saw it contained chocolate cookies. He eyed her suspiciously as she undid the knot and started munching at one loudly.

What else was in her pockets?

A lemon pie?

An axe?

A pet moose, perhaps?

"Where did you get those?" he asked, in the end.

"Oh! I made them!" she said proudly. "Want one?" she offered, sticking the bag under his nose. He quickly turned his head to the other side. He didn't really trust Yuffie in the domestic aspect.

'That smell wasn't bad, though...'

Temptation, damn it. He hadn't eaten cookies in years.

"Could you be any more random?" he asked suddenly, trying to maintain his dignity.

"Excuse me? Is that all you have to say? Fine! I'll eat them myself," she exclaimed, eating another cookie. "Mmmm... Grandma, your secret recipe is so kick-ass!" she muttered, closing her eyes and loving the rich chocolate sensation in her mouth. "Mmmm..."

Vincent stared at her, lips only slightly parted.

"I never knew sea gulls could carry materia," he observed out of the blue, looking casually at a place near the railing.

Yuffie's eyes snapped open at once. Mumbling to herself, she leaped out of her seat and started looking around.

"Where?"

She scanned the area around the boat, but she could see no sea gulls. Disappointed, she came back and grabbed her cookies from where she had dropped them.

"Are you sure you saw that?" she asked the silent man next to her.

"Hm, not entirely."

"Oh - Huh? When did I eat all these cookies?" she muttered, puzzled. There were only two left of her total of ten. She shrugged. "I must have been hungrier than I thought."

"We're approaching Wutai. You should pack - " He stopped, looking at her pointedly. Yuffie's gaze was fixed on his... lap. "Yuffie? Is there a problem?" he asked, getting uncomfortable.

The girl stretched out her hand, coming closer and closer to-

He grabbed her hand, and struggled to control his facial expression.

"What do you think you're doing?" he demanded.

She jerked her hand away and, in response, carefully collected something from his lap, which she raised for him to see.

Cookie crumbs.

'Shit.'

"You nasty rat bastard!" she shouted in a wounded voice. "You tricked me! You - you - "

"Ate your cookies?" he said dryly.

"YES!"

"I apologize."

"Well... duh!" She gave him a push, her gentle way of saying they had almost arrived at the docks of Wutai. Vincent watched her bounce in anticipation as the boat approached the port slowly, bringing them closer and closer to confronting Yuffie's father, or, as he distinctly feared, to Yuffie bickering with her father.

As if on cue, he saw her jump off the ship and shout, "Hello, Godo, the Yuffienator is here. Kya ha ha!"

It looked like he had every reason to fear.

Vincent rolled his eyes inwardly and followed after her, but not before putting the forgotten cookies in his pocket.
Sign up to rate and review this story