Categories > Original > Fantasy > High Kingdom

High Kingdom

by NagasakiKun 0 reviews

Evil lurks nearby in the High Kingdom. Very few know what it is. But it must be stopped. Alliances will be formed. Discoveries made. And a new Era in the High Kingdom.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor, Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-07-25 - Updated: 2007-07-26 - 9588 words

0Unrated

Demihl comes in for a drink. He went over to the side of the pub with no stools or chairs, as his Centaur legs could support him well enough. He looks around, notices he is the first one in the pub, and takes his place.

Lyn pops up from behind the bar, an automatic smile aimed at whomever sat down. Even though automatic, it was genuine and friendly, lighting up her face. /"Sorry, I was just tidying up." /She absentmindedly brushes a lock of curly hair behind her right ear.

Draci Phenix decides to head out to the local pub, The Rusty Spoon, and have himself some whisky after a long day. As he enters the pub he sees Lyn serving a Centaur a drink. /"Hey Lyn, how's business been?", /Draci asks as he sits himself down next to the Centaur.

Lyn turns, smiling again. "Hey, how's it going?" /She moves over to Draci, leaning over the bar slightly, propping her elbows on the bar and her chin in her hands. "Let me guess... you want the usual?"/ She glances over at Demihl, making sure he's doing alright, checking him out briefly.

Draci smiles at Lyns' antics. "Of course I want the usual Lyn, what else would I come in here for?" Draci answers with a chuckle. /"And stop eyeing up the customers Lyn." /Draci says with a smirk.


The door to the pub slams open...in walks a man in dirty and disshelved clothes, he carries with him a bag of sorts that traveling doctors often use. His hair is scraggily and strained, he appears thin and malnourished, but he moves like he's healthy. "Lynetta the Barkeep, I request from you....." A man who is moderately armored spins in his seat, eyeing the new coming man. "....a rum and coke...and be quick please...."

Demihl looks at this newcomer with suspicion. Newcomers were frequent at the Rusty Spoon, but this one set Demihl in an uneasy mood. Demihl and all of Lynetta's faithful customers always worried for her well being, as she was a beautiful and well off bar owner. "I see you have done some touching up in the tavern, Lyn." Demihl says with a smile. Indeed she had done some touching up, and the Rusty Spoon was looking better than ever.

"Aye, I have. You like?"
Lyn says as she's preparing the newcomer's drink. She eyes him warily, although not completely at ease. Seeing new people all the time, she quickly recovers, brushing off her first impression. She looks at Demihl and smiles, setting the drink in front of the newcomer. She then looks the new guy over, sizing him up, eventually relaxing and smiling her gorgeous smile.

"Yes milady, I do like it."
In fact, he was not just being pleasant. It was a very homely atmosphere for all species. It had a number of indoor plants, very becoming of Centaurs, various interesting items on display, some obviously artifacts, but many of them were ancient swords, axes and shields. Obviously not usable anymore from age, but still very attractive. This would have put dwarves and orcs right at home. The gnomes and human customers would have taken this all into account, and been able to appreciate it all. The Rusty Spoon definitely was taking a turn for the better, ever since Lynetta took over.

It had been a miraculous transformation, according to the locals. Lynetta had managed, with funds no one knew she had or where they came from, to take a tavern rife with trouble and mayhem, to the most respected place in the area. It had hosted years of underhanded deals, questionable morals, and highly illegal affairs which harried the locals. The transformation took the entire neighborhood to higher peaks, where people felt mostly safe and secure. However, this left Lynetta as one of the most mysterious people in the town, leaving her slightly mistrusted although very well liked in most circles, depending on who you talked to.

Demihl had remembered a previous conversation he had had with another pub customer. "I swear, she has ties with the Council of Wizardry!" /The drunken patron had said. "/I don't believe that. She is just a Barkeep." Demihl said. Secretly, he was not sure himself. She had somehow gotten a hold of artifacts that were no doubt priceless, not to mention the magic traps that must be in place to prevent thievery. But, she looked like a common innocent attractive Human woman, it was hard to even place an accusation upon her.

"M'lady, would you mind breaking open a bottle of Centaurian Brandy? I heard you came across a shipment earlier this week. I couldn't make it in earlier, as I was out gathering makk-roots and hepfeather ferns for the Alchemist's cures for the latest sickness going around."
Demihl asks from his normal spot next to the potted fern on the side of the bar.

Lynetta was well aware that rumors were abounded all over town concerning her welfare, or lack of proof of it. Having no husband raised all sorts of other rumors, patrons wondering how someone of her gender could support herself so well without the strong hand of a man. She scoffed at them, preferring to ignore them after awhile, going about her very profitable business and never telling them she thought she didn't need the strong, overbearing, in her mind, hand of a man. Rather, she thought one day she might settle down when she was ready and after finding a suitable mate, one who did treat her as an equal. Those thoughts got women in trouble in these parts so Lyn stayed quiet. And, according to her, no one needed to know what she did in her spare time. It was a good idea that people thought she used that time to further her business, since she was a most impressive entrepreneur.

She watched the new guy sip his drink, curious about how thin he was, wondering if he ate anything ever, or if he was just too busy physically or mentally to care. She glanced over at Demihl. /"You need another drink?" /She smiled again and you wonder if she ever had a bad day in her life, her face all smiling all day long.

Lo Niaga sputters his drink after hearing what he did. "Centaurian Brandy, eh? Where did you say you came about finding this?"

"I didn't say where I got this shipment."
Lyn glares at him, her eyes daring him to go further with the question. She leans over and fishes around for the bottle, preferring to keep some of her liquor under her nose and careful watch, and decants some for Demihl, knowing he'd appreciate it.

"My apologies."
he cleans up his little mess. He knew that he had heard about Centaurian brandy...some of the finest tasting that you may have the privilege to taste...and he had been wanting to intercept that shipment since he had heard about it a month ago in Opdyke Village...but he keeps this to himself. "It has been blue moons since I have had some..." he replies to the barkeep.

Demihl nods in thanks toward Lynetta for filling his glass. Then he turns to the strange newcomer. /"If you want to know where the good lady got Centaurian Brandy... perhaps you aught to ask the only centaur standing in the room." /Despite his attempts to subdue it, his tail flicks in obvious irritation of not being addressed, as a Centaur can easily be offended.

"Aye, your presence I did not detect...."
Lo has a problem with centaurs. Nothing personal, but an occurrence of his past that relates to his feelings of the creature. Nonetheless he tries to be cordial in the public place. "well well, what do YOU know of the shipment of brandy, lad?"

Demihl turns to Lynetta. He smiles at her as one friend to another. "I'm sorry m'lady, I could not afford to spend all of my budget on more of this rare delicacy. I had better stick to your ale for the rest of the night. It tastes well enough anyhow."

She wonders if she saw a little hesitation in the way the newcomer addressed the centaur, but she let it go. She smiles back at Demihl, readying his next stein of ale. She then turns back to the newcomer and says, "Care to give us your name, sir?" /And, as he replies, she notices someone in the room motioning to get her attention. She nods at them, giving them the universal smile that silently says "I'll be right there" /although trying very hard to stay focused on the man in front of her. She rarely lets business get in the way of pleasantries and good manners. Business thrives when you pay attention to the things that matter most.

Demihl turned his body towards the newcomer. His straight posture and eye contact clearly showed that all of his attention was on this thin man. He thought, 'Isn't that curious. Someone who doesn't look like he has a silver piece on him is eager to learn of shipments of an expensive brandy.'

"Well, most Centaurian produce comes from my birthplace, Tel Ahar. Some come from people who try to reproduce it for profit, but no one can achieve the quality that the Centaurs yield."
Demihl stated, not even bothering to hide his sense of pride in his race. "Come, let me buy you a mug, it is a drink you will not soon forget."

"Nor is it one that i have forgotten. I will accept your offer..."
takes a side look at Lynetta "but please note that i am not one to take charity from others, i manage well by myself."

Lyn smiles and nods at Lo. "Let me set you up in just a second." She nods in the direction of the room. /"I have people to attend to." /She strolls out from behind the bar, grabbing her towel as she rounds the end, and aims for her thirsty customers, her step quick and light. People always wonder how she keeps such a high energy level with the work she does. She then returns with several mugs and places them to the side behind the bar, and starts getting more mugs out and lines them up, preferring to get new mugs instead of reusing the old ones. People tend to appreciate it and tip her well for it. She starts filling them up from the casks under the main bar, looking up occasionally to see how her two bar mates are getting along.

Demihl looks on at Lynetta. He notices how lively she is, and how courteous and beautiful, well as beautiful for a human. "Lyn, I know I've told you this before, but you would make a fine filly. Too bad someone made you a Human instead of Centaur. If it wasn't for your lack of hind legs, i know quite a few stallions who would be after you. And that is saying something... for a human." It may have come off as insulting, but he was honestly trying to compliment. It was just an awkward conversation topic from the start, but he knew Lynetta well enough that he could make such a bold statement.


Lyn manages not to blush too badly, preferring to look busy with the ale. She then turns back to the bar and smirks. /"No hind legs, huh? Well, I should thank you for the compliment I'm guessing, but I think I prefer not having those legs." /She smiles, and you know she's not upset by the comment. She rarely seems upset about anything.

Then she gasps slightly, her forehead creasing and her mouth frowning. "Goodness, Draci. You've been so quiet I almost forgot you were here. Let me get you another drink, my handsome rascal." Her smile wipes away her concern and she readies him another whisky.

"That's alright Lyn,"
Draci chuckles as he accepts the new glass of whisky, "There was some interesting conversation going on between our good friend Demihl and the new guy here." As he says that he raises his glass to the Centaur. "And I just might have to try some of this Centaur Brandy that I've been hearing so much about recently"

Lo spins around on his stool, looking at the large man sitting a few seats down from him. /"I don't really want to sound rude, but as long as i am a customer here, i wont be a stranger to anyone. My name, is Lo Naiga. And that's about all you'll know of me." /He spins back to his spot at the bar, pretending not to feel the stares of everyone on him.

Lyn pretends not to looked shocked at the statement. She glances over to Demihl, looking for his reaction, then quickly at Draci. She then flings her hand up in a gesture surely meant as stop, and waves her hand at the customer flagging her down, giving him a glare that would probably stop a stampede of large animals in their tracks. She stares at Lo, wondering what that was about. "Care to behave a little at my bar, please? Especially since the Centaur here extends his obvious hospitality in your direction?"

"I'm sorry barkeep. i didn't mean to cause such an uproar. I think my visit has been overstayed anyhow."
Lo gets up, and drops a tiny sac of gold coins in his place. "I hope this covers the tab." Lo spins and leaves the bar, hobbling out the door of the Pub, leaving the others staring in his wake.

Draci was slightly shocked after Lo's outburst. "It's alright Lyn, there's been no harm done. But, I do wonder how that could have provoked him like that?"


Lyn shakes her head in wonder, then serves the next round of ale to the table behind Draci. She comes back with the empties and starts cleaning them right there at the bar. She glances up and says, /"Wonder what's bothering him?" /She starts drying her mugs and steins with care, her pub having a reputation of being very tidy.



After scouting the village she has come upon, Selendra finds herself in front of a door with the sign '/The Rusty Spoon/'. She automatically notes a unkempt, undernourished looking man making a somewhat unsteady way from the building and opens the door. As she enters she takes in the company with deep green eyes and an expressionless face from under her dark hood. She nods deferentially to the woman behind the bar and drifts silently to an unoccupied corner of the tavern, sitting with her back to the wall. She continues to evaluate each individual in the room without seeming to do so, as is her ingrained habit. They seem to her to be an extraordinarily varied group for so small a gathering. There be potential here, she thinks to herself.

A young man in his late teens comes through from the back and walks toward Lyn, carrying fresh, hot water for more cleaning. "You know Ralf, right?" /Lyn glances at her friends at the bar. "He's going to take over for now, while I get some rest. I need to balance the accounts tonight first though." She sighs and gives you just the slightest inkling of just how hard she works. "Enjoy the rest of your evening." /She flashes you with another bright smile before turning and leaving out the back.

"See ya next time Lyn."
Draci says to Lyns retreating back and waves.

"Ralph! Another ale, if thou mayst...."
Demihl ordered, using the dialect he always used with people he did not know that well. Then he turned to Draci. "Well, how goes the dragon hunting? I had noticed you on your way to the mountains a few days ago, and I assume you had been going to hunt."

Draci nods to Demihl, "Aye, I was hunting a few days ago. But, all I found were bones and few predators feasting." Draci takes another sip from his drink, as he thinks to himself, 'There was one more thing I found, but I'm planning on keeping it to myself for now... at least until it hatches.'

Ralf does the best he can with the patrons, only stopping when he had to converse with the crowd. He doesn't seem to possess the same flare Lyn does with the people, but he's efficient and tidy, which are traits Lyn admires and expects with her help.


While getting supplies from the back, he props the swinging door open, which affords only the select few at the bar a look inside the personal rooms belonging to Lyn. You can just barely make out the form of Lyn leaning over the tavern books, but this isn't what attracts your attention. What interests you most is the dark robed figure sitting across from her desk, carefully lounging in the shadows.

Demihl was in the process of drinking his ale, when he sputtered and coughed at the sight of this strange person. He, being taller than the rest with his horse like body, was able to see the shaded figure better than the others. Even then, the shadows hid his face.

As Selendra sits and continues to watch the room, her thoughts are thus, 'By far the Centaur hath the strongest life-force, but that is to be expected in a company of humans.' /Long familiarity with Centaurs has given Selendra a rare appreciation and respect for their kind. 'The large male is more than he realizes, he will be most formidable when he does. I must also make the acquaintance of the woman at the bar, she is no bar wench; she has authority and her force is almost as strong as the Centaur. And the boy, I must watch him more carefully.'/ ... At this point, she gasps slightly, and turns toward the bar as the boy swings open the door behind the bar. I know this presence...


As the door that Ralf opened had closed once more, Demihl turned to Draci. "What would you make of that? Did you see him, or is my imagination taking flight again?

Draci nods to Demihl, "Aye, I did see someone in the shadows. And if you're imagination took a flight again, mine is right up there with your's. As to what it's doing in there with Lyn, I have no idea, but I bet it's not about business."

Demihl nods to Draci for confirming that he himself was not imagining the person in the room with Lyn. "Ho, Ralf! Who might be the man keeping the fair lady company whilst she toils over her books? Couldst thee tell me that?"

Ralf, mostly shy to begin with, stammers as his cheeks color. It's obvious he's been coached to reveal nothing. "I... I...I'm not sure what you're referring to, m...m... mister." /He nervously wrings his bar cloth. "She keeps to herself... I never s...see her with anyone, I swear."/ He swallows uncomfortably, unsure of what to say next, but oblivious to the fact the more he says, the more it sounds so foolish. But being one of Lyn's biggest fans, and with more than a little healthy respect, he keeps stumbling over his words, comforted in the fact he thinks he's doing a decent job.

He walks over and opens the door again, making sure his heavy footsteps are well enough heard by all. /"See? There's no one in there with her." /You see Lyn hovering over her books, and she looks up, seemingly surprised by the intrusion.

Demihl decides not to pursue the matter of Lynetta's guest any more... for the moment. He sees something out of the corner of his eye, and he looks. It was the door to the Rusty Spoon swinging shut. In surprise, he sees that a cloaked woman is in the far corner, her face hidden by her cloak.

'I didn't even hear her come in!'
He thought to himself. What disturbed him the most about this new woman was her silent entry. Centaurs very rarely miss a sound with their exceptional hearing, but the only way he had noticed her was from the closing of the door. /'This is a very unusual woman in deed.' /Demihl thought.

Ralf slips into the back of the bar while everyone's attention is focused on other things. Lyn hands him some bound documents and instructions and sends him on his way. He returns to the bar, slipping the papers in his pocket quickly but clumsily. As the door to the back swings shut, you notice her jotting down something quickly, clutching a coin purse in her hand. Ralf waits a few moments and slinks out the front door quietly, returning shortly. He looks scared.

Demihl, realizing that there is something queer in the air considers asking Ralf what the matter is, but decides against it. Instead, he decides on a more generic approach. He walks towards the assistant, hooves clapping against the hardwood floor. "Dost thou need help with anything? You have a troubled look about you." The Centaur says to Ralf, trying not to look too intimidating, at least, for a 8 foot tall Centaur.

Ralf, feeling scared and now trapped, fails to look at the centaur, only mumbling something low which sounded like "No, thanks."

Draci seeing how nervous Demihl was making Ralf, decided to intervene. Draci stands up and walks over to Demihl, "Come on Dem, let's give the kid a break and ask Lyn the next time we're in? Come on, let's have some of that Centaurian Brandy you were talking about earlier." Draci says as he leads the way back over to the bar.


Ralf shuffles around the bar and into the crowded room, gathering empties and cleaning up the tables. He goes about his normal business and startles, now seeing the newcomer in the corner. This heightens his nervousness and he hurries back to the comfort of the bar, thinking the centaur would be easier to deal with than the mysterious robed person. He now wishes he wasn't working tonight.

Lyn decided not to come out from the back, trusting Ralf to keep her apprised of the situation, the tension rising. She wasn't stupid enough to re-enter the bar, knowing full well she'd get the third degree from everyone, mostly from the centaur. She decides to let it go for the evening, wanting it to blow over, pretty much hiding away to tend to her business.

Demihl went back to the bar with Draci, ordered another brandy, and watched as Ralf stumbled and spilled the entire pint on the counter. He had to rear up on his hind legs to avoid getting the delicious liquid all over his front, but succeeded in knocking over the table next to him into an innocent bystander's lap. Oh, the commotion. It took several minutes for it to die down after the startling crash of Demihl's hooves back onto the floor, quite possibly leaving irreversible damage in the hardwood boards.

During the entire commotion Draci only moved out of the way so as not to be hit by Demihl's hoofs or get splashed by the Brandy. After the commotion dies down, Draci takes one look at the hoof prints and deciding to have some fun says to Demihl, "Damn, you got some power in those legs big boy." Smirking the entire time.


"Thank you, friend Draci, I try to keep myself in shape, just make sure you are never on the receiving end of one of my legs!"
Demihl says, using playful banter.

"I'll remember that, incase there ever comes a need in which I must move quickly, very quickly"
Draci chuckles, as he banters back with the Centaur.

Watching the interplay, Selendra can't keep a slight smile from appearing. 'These are beings comfortable with each other. Do they know how special and rare that be? Mayhap they will do well in the coming time that they know not of.' She rises and glides over to the bar, and touches Ralf on the shoulder. As he looks up, she gives a smile that only he can see, and with a wave of her hand, the mess vanishes. "Now, my boy, hast thou a glass in which fresh ale might be served? I thirst."


Demihl then looks down upon the counter, noticing that it is clean. "Well, Ralf seems to do his job quickly, no wonder Lyn chose him." Then to his utter dismay, he notices the cloaked woman.

"Whaa???"
He says unintentionally, and full of surprise. She had done it again! She somehow managed to move right beside him without so much as making a sound! /'What, am I losing my sense of hearing?' /He thought to himself. 'There is something definitely unorthodox about this woman.'

Draci looks around Demihl and realizes that because a cloaked woman is standing next to him, he lets out a surprised gasp and whispers, /"Whaa...", /as if he should have known she was there before she was beside him.


Giving a slight bow to both Human and Centaur, as if she does not notice their surprise. "I great thee, Gentle beings! My apologies if I interrupted your friendly exchange. It is well to see such wit and companionship." /Turning to Ralf, "Please, an ale for each." /Ralf looks much more at ease and rushes to get the drinks.


Ralf rushes to get more ale, excited and nervous, and wary at the same time. He can't remember the last time the pub was so active and crazy, wild things happening every couple minutes. He serves everyone efficiently but once again slinks off, this time back to Lyn to report. He's surprised she hasn't come out to see what the latest noise was about.

As Ralf is filling up two more mugs of Ale, Draci turns to the cloaked woman to return the kindness. As he bows to her he says, /"I thank thee on behalf of myself and my Centaurian friend, who at the moment is speechless," /here he smirks up to Demihl then turns back to the lady, "It is not often that people just come up to the bar and order drinks for someone they do not know."


The Centaur comes out of his own internal conflict on how the mysterious woman managed to slip by undetected, and took Draci's hint. Clearing his throat, he says "Greetings, m'lady. Your courteous manner is appreciated. If I may ask, what has brought you to our small hamlet?"

"I do much in the way of traveling, and in mine experience, courtesy oft benifits more than a surly countenance."
As Ralf disappears through the door, Selendra again experiences a foreboding yet familiar feeling. Not allowing this to show in her manner, she turns again to the man and centaur and in an engaging manner asks, "I was passing your village and was curious to find what manner of people reside here. Do thou either of you know much in the way of history of this place and it's peoples?"


Draci smirks and points to the Centaur as he says, "The information that you seek may be found amongst the mind of this big feller right here."

"Well, we are quite used to travelers here, m'lady. As for the people, most of the citizens are human, quite like yourself."
He said, though the last three words were spoken with suspicion. "The town often sees merchants, but most of the business stays local. We all do our own part to keep the town prosperous. I for one, am the local Cleric and Apothecary. I also help keep the wild ratcoons away from the houses."

"Of course, Lynetta would be able to tell you more about our people, she is the social one, I mostly keep to myself unless approached. Everyone has an odd way of opening up to her. It fascinates me."
Demihl stated honestly.

Lyn walks out from the back, sees the woman at the bar, and startles ever so slightly. Demihl, being the one who notices everything, doesn't fail to see the change coming across Lynetta's face, ever so slight as it is. Lyn recovers quickly, coming up to the bar with her endearing smile.

"Hello again, everyone!"
Lyn tidies the bar as she greets. "Ralf had to go, such a shame. I think it's been a really busy night for him." You feel as if she's making excuses for him. Without thinking, Lyn runs her hand down Demihl's arm as she passes, probably for comfort more than anything. She does seem a little more nervous than usual, making up excuses for Ralf. She passes along the bar, looking for tasks Ralf left, thinking about getting more warm water for cleaning.

Draci sitting behind Demihl, rolls his eyes at Dem, and then quickly takes a drink of his Ale as Demihl turns his head towards him.


"What? What was that look for?"
He says defensively, obviously making assumptions on the eye rolling.

Draci puts his drink down and says innocently, /"What, what'd I do?" /Not even sounding innocent.

Demihl turns his body to face him. being a good foot and a half taller He looked down upon him almost angrily. Obviously his assumptions were going towards a bad conclusion. /"I know you gave a look. Even if I didn't see it, which I did, I can tell now by the way you are speaking and the look you are giving me at this instant!" /His hoof scraped the floor impatiently. Not threateningly, just impatiently.

Lyn turns around, shocked at the encounter happening right in front of her bar. She then sighs wearily, wondering what else is going to happen tonight. She watches and waits, not sure if she was the cause of it or if she should stop it from happening altogether. Tired, she waits.

"Calm down my old friend. I was just rolling my eyes at you for how you always go on and on about our history, for being a know-it-all. It was all in good humor."
Draci hastily explains to the angry Centaur. And slowly backing up, hoping not to be on the receiving end of his hoofs.


Demihl sighs inwardly. It wasn't what he thought. "All right. I do agree, sometimes I do get a little carried away with history. I apologize for my quick reaction. You know I am easily offended."

Draci stops and sighs. /"I thought you were about to attack me. And yes I know you are easily offended. How do you think I lost me eye, lad." /Draci says as he retakes his seat.


"We both know I've worked on controlling my impulses. And you know I did everything
in /my power to remove the scar, these things happen!" /Demihl replied, secretly smiling inwards to himself over the dispute that was referred to. All that fighting over who could finish their ale first. Demihl knew he would never drive himself to strike a friend in anger again, at least, he didn't think so. Maybe if spited enough... Nah...

Lyn comes around the end of the bar and approaches her friends. "Gentleman and Gentle beast," at this comment she stops and giggles lightly, trying to lift the mood. She gets between the two of them, first turning to Draci, smiling, grasping his hand. She then turns to Demihl, letting go of Draci's hand and then touching Demihl but takes her hand away quickly, blinking. /"Uhh... my handsome gentlemen... let's not be harmful to one another." /She smiles again, turning to meet Draci's eyes. "How would I survive without you two in my life?"

"Of course, we do not mean to make a scene in your bar m'lady."
The Centaur said, while ashamedly averting his eyes.

"Ha ha. Of course, how could you live with out us. As we're your two most loyal customers, that is when we're not bickering back and forth."
Draci laughs lightly, also to lighten the mood.


While averting his eyes, Demihl notices the damage he caused to the floor earlier when he had reared up on his hind legs. There was two hoof prints impressed onto the boards, with splinters sticking up from the sides of the impressions. "Ah, Lynetta, there was a disturbance while you were accounting the days profits, and I seemed to have done some damage to your floor. Is there any way I can compensate?"

"Oh, my.... let me see."
She glances down and sees the damage and to your surprise she giggles heartily. Her eyes are playful with laughter as she looks at you. "You did that, huh? Well, I think in order to make it up to me, you might consider coming back with some coinage so you can buy the rest of that case of brandy." She laughs, considering it humorous that she wants you to purchase your own type of brandy, especially considering the expense.

Lo wanders around the outskirts of Nasrath, thinking and contemplating the situation he was in...and the people whom he met. The group seemed a little odd and off balanced, in a way, however he could not help but like them... He guffaws under his breath...if only they knew what may be in store... at this last thought, he notices movement ahead...from the pub, a young man slips out the back door, shoots inquisitive looks all about, and takes off with impressive speed out and past village limits...Lo felt very interested in this activity, but before he could look into it, another thing caught his eye...a glowing green orb not far from the pub itself..... a pince! With an idea, he creeps up to the pince, able to remain undetected. from within his rags he procures a mason-jar, and unscrewing it, he manages to trap the pince inside. Stepping back from the bar a bit, he thinks of a simple spell that could only be multiplied to this particular magnitude due to a whole pince, and with that he mutters the incantation and tosses the jar up and letting it smash on the ground, causing a minor and contained explosion, causing a lot of noise and wind, and within the commotion, Lo disappears....

Before Demihl could respond back to Lyn there was a noise right outside the bar.

BOOM


An explosion, minor, but still enough to get everyone's attention, had just happened out side the pub. /"What the hell was that!!!?" /Draci asked jumping to his feet, thinking it was Dragons attacking the town.


At the second of the explosion, more like a loud crack than anything else, Demihl's hooves jumped into a more stable and alert position, and his arms went up in a defensive en guarde position. When Draci expressed his surprise, Demihl was already making his way around the tables with his larger stallion body. Heading for the door, he calls behind his shoulder to Lynetta, /"We will have to wait on that brandy, Lyn." /He exits the pub and trots to the south.


Lyn nods automatically at Demihl, not even really acknowledging him, startled from the noise. She waits before coming out from behind the bar, not wanting to add to the commotion or foot traffic. Patrons had already started streaming towards the door, curious.

With all the other things that happened earlier, she feels a little frazzled, worried, and almost overwhelmingly tired now. She sighs and decides to wait, knowing as soon as something is ascertained about the noise, everyone would be back, even at the late hour, talking and rumoring. These were the things that excite a town, along with a couple drinks. She smiles heavily.

Up until now Draci was muttering to himself about 'Damn Dragons', and twitching every couple of seconds. When he suddenly regained his composure, Demihl was coming back and took him and Lyn aside.


Demihl trots back to the pub. He waves his hands for silence, as the patrons were getting a little impatient to hear of the news. /"I found nothing, go back to your drinks everyone." /Demihl says confidently. Secretly he pulls Draci and Lynetta aside. He notices that the cloaked woman creeps closer, but does not make her presence noted. "There is a sense of strong magic about an area to the west. It feels almost like teleportation energy, but I have not seen such magic used in some time. It is almost a lost art."

"What's more"
Demihl continued, "is that this magic is of a particularly dark property. I do not like the looks of this." His tail twitched anxiously, actually twitched is not the word. It was a borderline thrash, right into a customer's face sitting at the table behind him. /"Oy! Watch it ya ox!" /A drunken customer of Lynetta's blurted out. The Centaur put his fist on the nearby counter, and gave a look that could kill a dragon, and the drunk quickly retreated back inside his mug of ale. Demihl looked at Draci.


"Your services may be of use soon old friend, and most likely mine as well."

"Aye, it has been a while since I had a good hunt. I would be honored to fight by your side, my old friend."
Draci replied, with an almost maniacal smile on his face.


Lyn stands back, digesting the information. She mentally returns to the conversation she had earlier with the shadowed man in the back. She wonders if this peculiar incident had something to do with him. Her brow furrows in thought. "So, my friends, what are you planning?" She looks genuinely curious.

"Well, I don't know about fighting, but I for one am going to hunt this man down."
Demihl stated flatly. /"Such practical and trivial use of dark magic does not go unnoticed, and I highly doubt this is a trivial case." /As he was speaking, his voice was steadily rising.

He looked back, and noticed some people were attempting to eavesdrop, and realized his mistake. He lowered his voice further and continued. "If someone is using dark magic, it is probably for no good. All teleportation leaves a trail, and it is highly difficult to trace, but I feel that Draci and I must try. Something of extreme importance is going on, and I feel that it may be putting our town in some sort of danger. It might be just a coincidental accident, but I would rest easier knowing for certain. Draci," Demihl said, turning to him, "What do you think?"

"What do I think? I think we should hunt this person down, that is... if it is a person. In any case, we must find out what is going on, in case there is going to be an attack."
Draci replied seriously, his hand itch near his katana.


"Hey, this happened right outside my place."
Lyn looks especially tired but particularly angry now. /"I think I need to come look for them too." /She pushes up her sleeves seemingly in anger and in a desire to look menacing, but you watch her, smiling, her bravado endearing but almost comical. But... you also wonder if she'd succeed in knocking your head off, since the more you get to know her, the more you learn she isn't your common townswoman.

Demihl, becoming suspicious, automatically rejects her request in his mind. Somehow, he can't help but wonder if she has some part in this. Who was that hooded figure with her, and why was she hiding his presence? Of course, he must still be in the bar! There are too many people here to witness him leaving! He thought fast.

"I will not allow you to go. You have no idea what it is like out there on the roads, and it is even more dangerous off of them, which is very likely where we will be forced to go. Besides, you have the bar to watch over, I could be spared for a few weeks."
He says, then slyly adds, /"There is no one in the back room, why don't we finish this conversation in there, to avoid prying eyes and ears." /He knew that she would not take him up on his bluff, she wouldn't risk revealing the person she was hiding. He must still be in that back room, no one had seen him leave.

As Demihl is talking to Lyn, Draci gets a thoughtful look on his face and asks, "Do you have any experience with a weapon, or any abilities as a healer?" Draci's voice turns serious and continues. "Because, my fair lady, this isn't going to be an easy task."

You follow her into her private rooms in the back, and the first thing you notice is it's a hell of a lot bigger than you thought. And, of course, it's very tidy. You see her accounts on her desk, still in order, and she briskly walks over and closes the ledgers, not liking prying eyes. You see several papers scattered neatly across the large desk and she tidies them too before you get too nosy.

She turns to you and beckons for you to sit. A chair and a built-in bench is along the wall. "Well, my friends, if you must know, I've been classically trained in swords and bows." /You look at her in amazement. "And, if I may say so..." She very quickly pulls a dagger out of nowhere and throws it at Draci, making him wince and duck. It narrowly misses him, shocking you both. "I'm good with sharp implements." /She grins evilly.

After the dagger goes over Draci head, he straightens up again and exclaims, "What was that for, you could have killed me if it wasn't for me being a former monk!!!" Panting, he takes the nearest chair and sits down to calm his heart.

"Draci, we both know a little pig sticker like that wouldn't do any worse to you than you've already had, remember your last wife?"
Demihl says with a smirk. Demihl had always thought of relationships as false ties to a person who was not faithful to begin with.


At the mention of his ex-wife, Draci suddenly shudders and groans and then glares at Demihl, "That wasn't a wife, that was a sadistic ritualist!!! Ok, maybe not, but it was close. The only reason I married her was because we we're both drunk, and you being a priest had us married as a sick joke."


Lyn settles back on the edge of her desk and giggles at Draci, her laugh all the way in her eyes, making her more lovely to look at. You gain a new respect for her, wondering what other talents she might have.

"I'm on the road a lot myself."
She walks over to Draci and tousles his hair playfully as he regains his breath. You also notice she is pretty forward and bold with her thinking and her touches. /"I can defend myself and others, don't you think?" /She glances at Demihl, an unknown look deep in her eyes. You find her difficult to read sometimes.

She leans over and whispers in Draci's ear. /"I'm sure you know I wouldn't have hurt you." /She straightens and walks back to her desk, turning and grinning. "What say ye, my comrades?"

"I for one, say you can go with us,"
Draci hesitates and then mutters as quietly as possible, "That is as long as you don't throw anymore sharp objects at me."

Demihl taps his hoof, demanding attention. /"I don't know. I've always trusted you, but lately you seem to be hiding outside of our sight. What is going on? How did you come across such artifacts for the bar? Where did you come up with the money? Who was the man in the cloak? And how do I know I can trust you?" /Demihl's face was stern, but Lynetta could see right through it. She knew that he already trusted her, and he was already considering bringing her along.



Lyn knew he was posturing, trying to look like he needed proof of something, but it didn't matter. Maybe he needed to make Draci feel he was suspicious, or maybe Demihl needed to make himself feel suspicious. Either way, it was still posturing, and it made Lyn wary and she wasn't sure why.

She turned around, delaying her reply, shuffling papers around. She then walks to the next room, still delaying. Both of you follow, and gasp when you enter the room. Lined along two walls were rows and rows of weapons and bows, some of them slightly exotic in nature. "You should know I have a way of taking care of myself and my business." /She says this slowly and almost menacing, turning to look Demihl in the eyes. "And I don't really care for bullying questions, "/ she says sternly.

"I was just being cautious,"
Demihl replied. He looked upon the walls with interest. 'These bows are of amazing quality!' He thought to himself. He looked upon one with extreme interest. It was far superior to his yew longbow, seeming to be made of a lightweight bone material. It was carved in such a manner that was so attractive that he found himself studying it's every curve. He unconsciously stepped toward it, wanting to examine it further.

Before Demihl finished his first step towards the weapons, Draci snaps his arm out to stop Demihl. /"Dem, I doubt you can just walk up to them, even if they are in the open." /Draci says, eyeing up the swords, or more specifically, the katana.


Lyn smiles again, noticing how both of you are seemingly transfixed by the array of items in the room. She has seen this look before on faces, and inwardly beams at the knowledge that this collection almost always delivers her this sense of pride. It doesn't hurt that most people are awestruck at the quality of the pieces displayed.

"I see you approve."
Lyn doesn't fail to notice the way Demihl almost gravitates to the bow and the way Draci catches him while he gazes longingly at the katana. She chuckles lightly. /"Very few get to see this. If any more do, I'd feel violated in some way." /She chuckles again.

"Lyn,"
Draci breaths, awestruck by the amount of very high quality weapons, "How did you come by these? They must have been worth quite a few Drakes." Draci asks, finally taking his eyes off of the weapons and turning to look at Lyn.

"More than quite a few,"
Demihl interjected. "Something like hundreds of Drakes, more than a simple barkeep could afford." He forced his eyes away from the bow of bone, and sent them around the room. There appeared to be seventeen weapons in all, each different, each valuable.

She murmurs, /"Some of us aren't as simple as we seem." /She lets that statement trail off, laden with disappointment. She shuffles her feet, looking down at them. She looks back up and catches Demihl's eyes, beseeching him silently to see her as she really was.

"I can see that. Maybe we should let her come Draci. She seems to know how to handle herself."
Demihl said. In truth, he felt better with her coming. He wasn't sure if it was because he wanted to keep her in his sight, or if it was because he just wanted her company. He shook his head slightly. 'What are you thinking? You know the only reason you want her to come is to keep an eye on her! Damn, I must have had a few too many.'

"Isn't that what I said in the first place?"
Draci asked.


"Yes. You did say that, but I wasn't convinced."
He retorted to Draci, and then looking back at Lynetta he says "But now I am."

Draci catches the look in Lyn's eyes and asks, "Lyn, Is there something you're not telling us?" Draci asks concerned.

Lyn pulls herself out of her temporary, self-made misery, telling herself she has no luxury of the time it takes to maintain it. She smiles at Draci and shakes her head softly. "Draci, my handsome rascal, you will learn all you need to learn in time. Take me with you and there will be no end to the things we will discover about each other." Her talk is so rousing and spirited, you think you imagined the sad moment earlier.

"Let's not discuss anymore of this room, shall we?"
She gets both of your arms and pulls you forward, hoping you'll forget for the moment about the awesome display of weapons in the room, hoping you'll also forget this is one of the finest collections around.

As they left the equipment room, Demihl began thinking more and more, "I've made the right choice. She can defend herself, she will be fine. Besides, I would never let anything get through to her." Looking at her again, she seemed somehow more alive than before. She was more than just the friendly bartender. She was a person capable of many things, which no one knew the limits of, at least, not yet.

As they reentered Lyn's office once again Draci asks, /"So, where do we go from here?" /Draci looks from Demihl to Lyn and back to Demihl again.

Although tall for a woman, Lyn still reaches up on her toes to kiss Draci on the cheek as they moved back into the main bar area. She lets her friends go and then realizes they were gone enough time for most of the crowd to hit the streets, possibly because no one was tending to them, possibly because of the late hour, and possibly to get out and gossip about the noise earlier. She laughs, and sets about tidying up the place, kindly asking the remainder of the crowd to finish up and move it out.

As Lyn leaves the office to tend to the bar again Draci turns to Demihl and says, "Shall we go and help her clean up the bar?" As Draci starts to leave and help Lyn he calls back to Demihl with a humorous voice, "Hurry up my friend, before she throws both of us out."

"Yeah... Lets help her along, we will be leaving soon."
Demihl agrees, then moves to put the chairs and stools back into place, as they were strewn everywhere as they always are at the end of the night.

She comes back to the bar and relaxes a second, not intending to throw you two out just yet. Then she sees the woman again and shivers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the island of High Kingdom, there is a vast region known as the flat plains, which the Opdyke river bisects. Not too far off from the river in the midst of the plains is a little shack, run down, but not abandoned.

A green fog emanates on the spot, and a loud crack erupts, revealing Lo Naiga, fresh from the town of Nasrath. He hurries towards the river, washes his face, and then runs to his shack.

Upon entering, he changes from his run-down rags to a more formal looking outfit, a cleaner pair of slacks and a black overcoat, possibly a robe but without a hood. He also grabs his personal dagger...a dagger of magical purposes, and sheathes it within his slacks. Affixed with the dagger was a spell that could allow the user to become invisible. It has helped Lo many a time.

He felt compelled to rally the group of bar-goers to help him settle a few of his own personal qualms with certain parties, just to get his neck out of hot water....

He decides to hurry back out and try and catch the rift in the time/space portal, but upon leaving the shack, he finds that the portal just closed, which means that he would have to trek northwards on foot back to Nasrath, if he would be to enlist the help of anybody...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The moment she heard the sound of a dark spell being brought to fruition, Selendra focuses to try to identify it. It is a powerful spell, more powerful that any but a High Level Wizard should be able to perform, and she did not sense one near. She sees Demihl leave and return and listens closely to the description and the banter. The patrons and tavern keeper are in the process of setting the bar to rights; I must divine the source of the spell, and I must speak to Lyn as soon as possible without the others knowing, she thinks to herself, and noting the anxious glance from Lyn, Selendra masks herself with a Cloak of Shadows and leaves silently and unseen.


Selendra traces the aura of the spell and is able to divine that it was a movement spell, but although she should be able to track it, she cannot. 'I must speak with Lyn before they set out.' She finds the back entrance to the pub and slips inside. She breaths a sigh of relief when she hears that the company is still moving about in the pub proper.
She composes herself and emanates a /Mind Touch /to bring Lyn back into the office. Her mind is more disciplined than I expected, almost as controlled as a centaur. The door opens...


Lyn feels a tug at her mind and she nearly drops the glass she's drying at the bar. She inhales sharply and curses silently at herself for being so caught off guard. She blames it on the earlier visit she had, and then begins to wonder why all of a sudden yet another being needs her attention. She can't remember the last time she had such fear engulf her and should've guessed by the action in the pub tonight that something was wrong, or something was happening out of her control, both of which frighten her.

"This can't be happening again, can it?"
she says to herself, frowning slightly. And, giving into the impulse and compelling pull, she wanders to the back almost silently, leaving her friends to continue what they are doing. She feels apprehensive and anxious to find out more about what is going on.

As Lyn passes through the door to her office, Selendra releases the /Mind Touch /immediately. "Forgive the intrusion, but I have not time for less direct methods. Twice since I have entered this village, I have felt a dark presence, and I believe thou knowest more than I. While I do not doubt thee are a fine tavern keeper, I knowest thy skills are not that limited. Thou knowest me not, but it may yet behoove us to work with each other, for there moves an evil of which few knowest."

'Impressive how she regaineth her equilibrium, a force of person, indeed.'
Thinks Selendra as she waits to see whether the response will be positive, or whether dire measures are indicated. Hoping for the former, she cannot relax just yet.


Lyn gains a better respect for this woman now, beginning to be less fearful of her physically, but more so mentally. Selendra can sense Lyn's mind cloaking as soon as she enters and sees Selendra awaiting her. A mental war ensues, emotions flickering across her face. Lynetta braces herself.

"Obviously you are aware of the magic's being performed around this establishment."
Lyn pauses, confused, thinking perhaps her visitor earlier was the one causing the mayhem outside, wondering what exactly is afoot here. Lyn wonders silently, 'Is this whom she refers to? I'm not aware of this as evil. What is going on here?'

"I tend to carefully peruse the facts and take action as needed."
Lyn delays and stalls most people carefully, shrouding her statements in truths and untruths. "And, if you must know and will surely find out in your own time anyways, my comrades and I will leave tomorrow to seek this magic user. This evil you refer to, well, I will use my own knowledge to determine whether this is true or not."

Inclining her head toward Lyn "I realize thou hast no reason to trust me. I be Selendra Chance, Sorceress. More than that I wilt not reveal, for I hath no reason to trust thee. I propose thus: I offer my service to thy quest. Speak with thine companions and do you all vote upon my joining thy party. If not, I wilst go mine own way with no reprisal." Then taking one step back and raising her head again... "Be it known, howe're, if we meet an thine purpose is contrary to mine, with no word-bond 'tween us, beware."


Lyn nods to Selendra, at this point mostly to get her out of Lyn's space. Lyn rarely finds opposition in her life and has little time to deal with it when it confronts her, and this confrontation is riddled with fear, doubt, and slight suspicion. She finds it difficult to ascertain its true meaning, since it was delivered as an invitation shrouded in threat. She turns briskly and leaves the room, pretty confident that her visitor knew to vacate the premises without even being asked. If this Selendra wanted to join the party, she'd know when to show up. It's not like she needed help before. Lyn trots back into the bar and motions for her two friends to join her.

Selendra waits for a moment, and then leaves through the back. Perhaps I can discover more about the spell whilst they hold council.
Sign up to rate and review this story