Categories > Original > Fantasy > Olewhinsky Family Trade

Olewhinsky Family Trade

by Kaisa 0 reviews

A family of the gentry hides a secret trade which, if ever discovered, could become the death of them or, if luck is with them, the beginning of a great reign.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama, Fantasy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-12-18 - Updated: 2005-12-18 - 831 words

0Unrated
A.N.
Another vocab story for those who've read Lovely Assassins... please review, flames accepted... enjoy!



Selena brushed her long, ebony hair, emitting a strongly austere manner. Maria, her servant, knew this particular manner to be the outer expression her mistress conveyed unknowingly as she strengthened her cerebral bulwark.

Maria smiled softly; she was fond of Miss Selena. Selena was a kind, confident fixture in the house of Olewhinsky. She never treated any of her servants as chattels, she befriended and cared for them all. She lamented having to place collars on their necks. Yet, rather than using them for signs of possession alone, she used the Olewhinsky collars to protect her servants with the many cerebral powers of the gentry of the planet of Roselia.

Her family had never been as aloof as Roselian gentry were commonly known to be, but had passed down the title of Connoisseur at the art of servant protection, in secret, for ages. After all, it was incongruous for any member of the gentry to seem in any way 'connected' to their servants.

It was an unwritten law to keep the cerebrals aloof of the non-cerebrals. If Selena Olewhinsky were ever to be found out, within days there would be cacophony outside the mansion and within two weeks she would be expunged from history and memory.
Maria had always tried as much as was in her power to protect her mistress as much as she could, in repayment for her kindness, since she'd been 'adopted' into the 'family' three years ago, as had all of the other servants.

Maria awoke from her haze of reminiscence when Selena looked up and smiled at her as she made the bed. It seemed the cerebral bulwark strengthening, or "meditation" as all the servants liked to call it, was over. Maria smiled back but looked quickly towards the outer door when she heard a sound outside of it. Only the Lady's servants were aloud in the Lady's quarters. That included herself, Juliana and Annabel, both of whom were asleep in their personal rooms connected to the other end of Selena's bedroom. This did not bode well.

Maria got up and grabbed a bottle of sleeping potion from the "laundry" basket by the door before taking a few steps behind where it would swing as Selena turned off the light and went silently into the servant's room. Within a moment's notice, a man dressed in black tunic and leggings entered "stealthily," black, leather hilted dagger in his left hand at the ready. When he saw the empty bed he turned quickly towards Maria. She threw the bottle at his chest and it swiftly hit its target before bursting into a cloud of smoke, intoxicating him with sleep and forcing him to the floor.

At the sound of the loud thud, Selena, Juliana, and Annabel entered from the other room. The other two must have awoken when Selena came in and quickly set up a second and third defense as the seconds passed by between Selena's departure of the first room and the activation of the sleeping potion. Once all were surrounding the body, Juliana turned the man, whom had landed face down, over so that they could identify him. It was Alejandro, the Royal spy whom rid the gentry, suspected and proved to have protected servants, of their most loyal servants. Olewhinsky family had 'cleansed' the minds of Royal spies for millennia, Selena knew what to do.

Selena quickly cleansed Alejandro's mind of this particular 'job' as her three servants awoke the others, they all knew what to do. Once all of the servants had been awakened, they would head into the woods behind the mansion where a second mansion had been hidden by Olewhinsky ancestors for centuries.

This mansion was hidden from maps, eyes, magic, etc. Any and every way of finding it was hidden from all except for the Olewhinsky heirs whom could only open it with the magical mark on their inner, right wrist which was passed down through the family. Invisible as well, the mark was the key to the mansion where Selena would hide herself and her servants until the wise woman, whom lived here with her family in secret, helped her enact the great enchantment of expunging any reason for suspect from the most powerful cerebrals in Roselia, the Royalty.

One of the reasons her family had been able to perform this great enchantment on Roselia at least once every decade was because they themselves were a hidden branch of the Royalty. They'd expunged that particular tidbit of their identity from history and memory in order to become the Connoisseurs of servant protection. Maybe in the future, if the 'Sanctuary' were discovered they could become the Royalty and change the laws, written and unwritten, but for now this worked.
The name of Olewhinsky Connoisseurs would pass down the servant hearsay network for a few more decades before the Battle of the Royals would begin.
Sign up to rate and review this story