Categories > Original > Fantasy > Makings of a Queen

Makings of a Queen

by Kaisa 0 reviews

A rebellious tomboy has just been coronated queen and now has to finish the war her father started as well as overcome her fear, anxiety, and lack of confidence in order to rule a kingdom that help...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Drama, Fantasy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-12-18 - Updated: 2005-12-18 - 729 words

0Unrated
A.N.
Vocab story again for those who've read any of my other works in this category... please review, flames accepted... enjoy or despise, which ever fits your liking...



Lela grimaced as she glanced at her schedule for the day. She was going to make her first public appearance before her subjects. Their histrionic and arduous complaints about the decree she'd set, upon her coronation, were infamous. She'd decreed not to allow them to carry bludgeons inside the palace, and their reactions were giving her, as well as her advisors, an eternal migraine.

As Lela walked slowly and gracefully into the receiving room, the porcine representative of the gathering of gentry found his opportune moment to voice their complaints. "Your Majesty, I must apologize in advance for any exhibition of disrespect I may impart upon you, but this decree is extremely quixotic. It is just another attempt to give this palace a dulcet milieu. You truly must stop reminiscing about the days before the war, when your father ruled, and start thinking about the present. Please be practical Your Majesty."

Lela was on the verge of collapsing onto the throne beneath her and shedding tears of fear, anguish, and all of the feelings that had built up inside her, as they all beleaguered her at once. She couldn't be the Queen of Jalanshía, with most every one of her subjects at her feet awaiting her response. She was the rebellious tomboy princess, whom everyone scolded half-heartedly, the one whom no one could imagine in the position of ruler of the kingdom. Yet, as of three moons past, this seventeen-year-old tomboy was queen, earlier than expected, true, yet fate had turned her hand so and thus the pieces lay.

As the previous battle of the war with Chanera had decided her father's fate in its midst, Lela had only done that which had been expected at the time and had accepted his office of general. That she could do in a heartbeat, unfortunately, the other office, that of Queen of Jalanshía, wasn't so easy to take up. Lela knew her people were stressed with the turn of rule, as was expected; war was the worst time for such an event, but Lela also knew her people knew her as well and expected to give her one more test before resting peacefully in her rebellious, teenage reign.

Slowly she lowered herself onto the throne, her grace sizzling with power as she gathered all of her defiance to use against her own lack of confidence. The grace of the most powerful, the most respected, the wisest, the bravest, the most loyal, the most confident, and even the most responsible queen could be seen in her at that moment.

Sternly and, most important, confidently, Lela let her gaze embrace the crowd before her, holding the eyes of those whom had helped raise her or had grown with her. "My people, hear me now. I, the rebel you've grown up with, through the joy or frustration I may have brought you, am now your queen, and I do not doubt your fear, nor your discomfort, I only ask that you hear me out. Do not worry for my inept or quixotic ruling, as I have disbanded your ability to possess arms in this castle. It is not from fear, nor from naiveté, that I do this, I have my reasons and I can only hope you will come to agree with me that they are true and honest, as well as correct, in the little wisdom of my few years compared to your far greater knowledge. I, as of now, declare every man, woman, and child to be taught the arts of hand-to-hand combat, archery, fencing, and the mental arts.

"We will use these to defend ourselves, our family, our friends, and even our enemies, in order to prepare for such as has passed recently, in the future to come. Our surprise shall neither hinder nor betray us again. My reign will repay the wrongs of my father's; peaceful as it was, it had no knowledge of the cruelties of the outside world. Will you accept my decree without cause for disorder? Will you accept me as your Queen?" As the crowd's murmurs grew to cheers, Lela's fear, as well as her migraine, subsided. One headache down, a million more to overcome.
Sign up to rate and review this story