Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Flipped: A different Inuyasha story

Episode 14: Return to the Village

by animecrazedgirl 0 reviews

We finally learn about the Celestial Jewel before our group returns to the village.

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: Inuyasha,Kagome,Kirara,Miroku,Rin,Sango - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-08-17 - Updated: 2007-08-17 - 2622 words - Complete

0Unrated
Japanese Volcabulary:

Tsuki Megami: Moon Goddess

youki: demon's aura or anyone with demon blood

Doryoku-mamoru: Power-protect

Oi: Hey

inuhanyou: dog half demon

neko youkai: cat demon

jyaki: evil youki (demon's aura)

------------------------

Episode 14: Return to the Village

Miroku took a deep breath before plunging into the tale of the of the Celestial Jewel and how it was created.

"It started many, many years ago, long before this village had become a demon slayer village. It was the time when a special Celestial Maiden, the Tsuki Megami, lived in the moon. She was extremely beautiful and every night, her duty was to cause the moon to rise and fall, as well as to cause it to shrink and grow each month. Every month, though, on the night when there was only darkness and no moon filled the sky, she was released from her duty and would come down to Earth with the appearance of a mortal. But when the sun rose again, she was forced to return."

"On one such night, the Tsuki Megami left as she often did, but as she walked in the village which you now know as the demon slayer village, she met a man. The Tsuki Megami had seen men before but not one such as he. To her he was far more handsome then any man she had ever met. Also, everything about his appearance was dark, wherein, in her true form, she was light, which intrigued her. The Tsuki Megami was forced to return to the moon that morning, but the next month she returned to find him there again."

"Every month, she came and every month, he was there. The Tsuki Megami soon found herself falling in love with the man and the man proclaimed to have fallen in love with her, too. They continued their meetings until one night, the Tsuki Megami returned to find him gone except for a message telling her to meet him at a secluded clearing in a forest near the village. The Tsuki Megami complied and headed there only to find herself alone. She waited for him until she heard a noise behind her."

"She turned to find him in the shadows. The Tsuki Megami felt uneasy but welcomed him with open arms. He embraced her but as she lay in his arms, she found a dagger pierced into her back. It had turned out that he was not a man, but a demon who had learned of her true identity and lusting after her power, had tricked her. The demon killed her, stealing her heart from her body which held her true power. The Tsuki Megami's body dissapeared and with the rising sun, her soul returned to the moon to continue her duty. Her power it seemed, though, was too great for the demon to handle and he was instantly destroyed. He had already touched it though, his youki's taint, crystalizing it into a smal round gem which we now know as the Celestial Jewel."

"Also, the reason the jewel will grant your heart's most deepest desire as a whole and more power in pieces is a result of what i've told you. The heart's most deepest desire being granted, despite the jewel's taint, is caused by the fact that all togeather, the Tsuki Megami's power overpowers the demon's taint making it able to grant something such as that. But when it is in pieces, the demon's taint in each shard can easily overpower the Tsuki Megami's power because her power can only work to it's full effect as a whole," Miroku finished.

"But," said Inuyasha," That doesn't explain why what happened to Kagome happened when she stepped in the clearing."

"It is-," Miroku paused," was believed by my people that when the Tsuki Megami's body dissapeared, the sorrow and heartbreak she felt was absorbed into the clearing. Therfore, causing any unfortunate soul who happened to step into it to relive their saddest memories and if not removed from the clearing, to wallow in their grief until they died, supposedly from a broken heart, their bodies also dissapearing."

"That's a horrible way to die," said Kirara.

"I wouldn't wish that kind of death on anyone," Sango said.

She turned back to the clearing. "The Tsuki Megami's story is so sad. It makes me want to weep for her."

"Hm," Miroku nodded," Many of the women in the village feel..felt the same way."

'Hmph,' Kagome thought,' Betrayed by the one she loved...the Tsuki Megami's story is a lot like mine.'

Inuyasha furrowed his brows as he tried to decide if he had really seen the shimmering of a tear in her eye, or the sadness in her gaze.

----------------------

"Miroku," said Sango.

It was nighttime and they were now sitting in the hut that Miroku had been healing in for the past nine days.

"Yes?" he replied.

"You told us how the Celestial Jewel was created," she said," but I don't understand. What happened to it afterwards? What happened to the Celestial Jewel?"

Miroku sighed. "I wasn't there when it was created of course but it is...was said in our village that after the Celestial Jewel's creation, it went through the hands of many demons and humans but it seemed that none of them were able to handle it. The demons were destroyed instantly and the humans were just unable to use it. It passed along many times until my father finally found it. He like the other humans was also unable to use it so he along with a few demon slayers went to an oracle where they found out who the one person who should protect the Celestial Jewel was..."

"Sesshoumaru," murmered Inuyasha," The oracle said Sesshoumaru, didn't they?"

Miroku nodded. "Yes. The oracle sent them to find the one called Sesshoumaru and also that there was a sword, in a temple for the Tsuki Megami near there, that could only be weilded by him, to protect the Jewel called..."

"Doryoku-mamoru," Inuyasha finished, placing a hand on the hilt.

Miroku nodded, again. "I believe that was what it was called. You seem to know this story well."

Inuyasha nodded and said," I'm Sesshoumaru's reincarnation."

"Oh," said Miroku," So that means that Sesshoumaru is dead."

Inuyasha sighed. "You could say that."

Miroku frowned but didn't press.

"But..." said Sango," how is it that it's shattered?"

Inuyasha smiled, nervously. "That'd be my fault. I accidently shattered it when I was trying to kill a demon that had swallowed it."

"Oh," said Sango.

Kagome seeing that they were no longer conversing, flicked her ears upwards again from where she was laying on the roof, facing up at the sky.

'Hmph,' she thought,' Inuyasha didn't explain much... but, I think i'm kind of glad he didn't...'

She rolled over on her side, looking out into the darkness, fist clenched. 'Naraku will pay for what he did to Sesshoumaru and me. I'll make sure of it.'

---------------------------

The next morning, everyone was preparing to leave and head out of the demon slayer's village. Kagome, Sango, Inuyasha, and Kirara were outside the village gates while they waited on Miroku.

Kagome growled. "Where's Miroku? If he doesn't hurry up, we're leaving without him."

"Be patient, Kagome," said Sango," I'm sure he'll be here soon."

"Hmph," said Kagome.

"I'll go look for him," said Inuyasha, walking into the village," I think I know where he might be."

Inuyasha walked through the village until he spotted Miroku standing before the graves, again. He walked up and stopped when he was beside him. Inuyasha found himself once again looking down at the graves of Miroku's people and once again, feeling guilty.

He sighed. "I'm sorry."

"Hm?" Miroku said, glancing at him, confused," For what?"

Inuyasha bit his lip and rubbed his arm. "It's...It's my fault your people are dead."

Miroku furrowed his brows. "I don't understand. How can it be your fault? I thought it was Naraku's."

"Well," said Inuyasha," Naraku did pretend to be Kagome and kill your people but if I hadn't shattered the jewel, this couldn't have happened."

Miroku's brows lifted. "I don't believe you did that intentionally."

Inuyasha scuffed a foot against the ground. "I may not have been trying too, but I still did it and because of it your people are..."

He was cut off by Miroku's hand on his shoulder.

"No," Miroku shook his head," You shouldn't blame yourself. You did not do it on purpose so it is not your fault."

Inuyasha stared at Miroku before grinning. "Funny, isn't it? Here you are comforting me when you're the one who needs it most."

"It is true that I lost my family, my people," said Miroku," but if anyone is to blame. It is myself."

"How do you figure that?" he asked.

Miroku sighed. "I gave my sister a shard of the Celestial Jewel."

Inuyasha's eyes widened. "But why?"

Miroku turned his gaze away from Inuyasha and down at the graves. "I had found it in the body of a demon that had been slain by the other slayers and myself. I had not known what it was at the time. My sister wished to have it so I gave it to her."

Inuyasha looked at him for a while before he shook his head. "Here you are telling me not to blame myself for something that you say is not my fault and yet, you are also blaming yourself as well. Talk about a hypocrite."

"But it was my fault," he insisted," If I had just realized what the shard was. If I had listened to the bad feeling I had. If..."

"But it wasn't your fault," said Inuyasha," Sometimes it's good to follow your own reasoning. If you stop thinking about the 'if' this or the 'if' thats, then you'll see that it was beyond your control."

"Like you?" Miroku said, softly.

Inuyasha stood stunned before he let out a sigh.

"Yeah," he said, softly," Like me."

The wind blew through blowing their hair around their faces and rustling Miroku's robes.

"Oi! Are you two coming or not?!"

Inuyasha turned at Kagome's shout. "Just wait a second! We're coming!"

"You better be or we'll leave without you!"

Inuyasha shook his head and sighed. "Her patience is almost as bad as Sango's temper."

"Hey!" It was Sango this time. "I heard that!"

"What?!" Inuyasha cried, throwing his arms in the air. "Are you two eavesdropping on us or something?!"

There was silence.

He slapped a hand to his forehead and shook his head before turning to Miroku. "Come on we better go."

Miroku smiled as they walked. "You and your companions make quite a group. A female monk, an inuhanyou, a neko youkai, and a strangely dressed human."

Inuyasha chuckled. "Yep! That's us and now that you're joining us, it's an even more intreasting group. I mean, a demon slayer traveling with demons. Who woulda thunk?"

Miroku shook his head, laughter bubbling from his lips. His first true laugh in a long while.

--------------------------

After quite a few days travel, they had returned to Rin's village.

"So this is your home village?" asked Sango, as they walked down the road leading into the village.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that," said Inuyasha.

Miroku did not say anything as he had usually been for most of the trip.

Soon, they had reached Rin's hut.

"Rin, we're back!" Kirara cried, running ahead, Shippo on her shoulder.

The young woman stepped out of the hut, pushing the bamboo mat aside as she smiled. "You have returned."

Then, she spotted Shippo, Miroku, and Sango. "And I see you've attracted quite a crowd. Hello, i'm Rin, the headmistress of this village. May I ask your names?"

"Hai," Miroku nodded," I am the taijiya, Miroku, Lady Rin."

"And I am the Monk Sango," Sango said," We hope that it is alright that we stay in your village."

Rin smiled and waved her hand. "Please. There is no need for formalities. A friend of Inuyasha and Kagome is a friend of mine. You are as welcome in this village as they are."

"Yes," Sango nodded," Thank you, Lady Rin."

"Please," she replied," Just call me Rin. I am no lady."

"As you wish, Rin," said Sango.

"So please, do come in," she said motioning them all inside," and let me hear of your travels."

They nodded and followed Rin into the hut.

---------------------

It wasn't long before Inuyasha had recalled to Rin everything that had happened. About meeting Sango, her story, sensing Naraku's jyaki, meeting Miroku, and Kodokumo.

"You said Naraku is a shape shifting demon, correct?" said Rin.

"Mm," Inuyasha nodded.

"Could it be possible that this Kodokumo was Naraku in disguise?" she asked.

"It's possible," said Sango," After all, he did take the form of a woman when tricking my grandfather."

"But what I don't understand," said Miroku," is why did this Naraku go to so much trouble to trick Sesshoumaru and Kagome? If he wanted the jewel, why did he not just not go after Sesshoumaru and take the jewel then? Why did he replace it for Kagome to take?"

"Hm," Rin said, thoughtfully," That is a good point..."

"What does it matter?" Kagome interrupted, getting up and heading to the door," What's done is done."

Then, before she left, she murmered," And nothing can change that."

There was silence until Rin sighed. "It seems that this is still a touchy subject for Kagome."

"Mm," Sango nodded," Though, it still puzzles me."

"It seems this Naraku is a crafty one," said Miroku," After hearing Kagome's, Kirara's, and Sango's stories, I believe that prehaps this Naraku ENJOYS toying with peoples' emotions."

"Mm," said Rin," That would explain why he would go to so much trouble."

"Yes," said Sango," It would explain a lot."

She turned to Inuyasha. "What do you think?"

Inuyasha seemed to come out of his thoughts, as he turned from where he had been staring at where Kagome left. "Hm? Sorry, I was just thinking."

Sango sighed and turned to the door. "Kagome did seem upset, didn't she?"

"Prehaps, someone should go check on her?" asked Rin.

Sango turned to Inuyasha. "How about you? You've known her longer and i'm not sure she'd want to talk to me."

'I'm not so sure she'd be willing to talk to me, either,' he thought but he found himself getting up all the same.

"Alright," he said.

Then he added," Hey! I just remembered! I have to head back home soon, anyways."

"Is this not your home?" Miroku questioned.

"Well," said Inuyasha," Not exactly, and it's kinda hard to explain. How about Rin explains it while I go find Kagome?"

"Alright," Rin agreed.

Inuyasha left the hut heading for the forest, where he was pretty sure Kagome was.

---------------------

'Hmph,' Kagome thought, as she sat in a tree,' Stupid Miroku. Stupid Sango. Stupid Rin. Why can't they just let it go? Who cares why Naraku did that stuff. All that matters is killing him and we will do that.'

Kagome's nose suddenly twitched as she caught a scent.

"Hm?" she said, sitting up.

Her nose twitched a few more times before her brows furrowed. 'This scent.... Where have I smelled it? Why does it smell so fami-'

Her eyes widened as she recognized the scent. She leapt quickly out of the tree, rushing towards the scent until she reached the clearing where she had been sealed. Her eyes traveled around the clearing until her eyes came to rest at the base of the tree.

A lump filled her throat and her heartbeat quickened as she choked out," Sesshoumaru."
Sign up to rate and review this story