Categories > TV > NUMB3RS > G is for Granger

Chapter 2

by megan_reeves 0 reviews

Don and Alan find out moe about Megan's condition.

Category: NUMB3RS - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!!] [V] - Published: 2007-08-17 - Updated: 2007-08-18 - 1172 words

0Unrated
"Dr. Webb, this is my father, Alan Eppes. Dad, this is Dr. Webb, the administrator."Don introduced Alan to the doctor.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Eppes."

"Are you taking over Megan's case?"Alan asked hesitantly

"Yes, I am."

"Then it is Alan. Call me Alan." Alan smiled, and shook his hand.

"So, how's Megan?" Don asked

"Megan is in surgery right now. Alan, Agent Eppes- "

"Call me Don." Don broke in.

"Don, Alan, well, right now, we are currently amputating both of her legs. We are expecting her to make a full recovery. We just finished sewing her up, We are going to move her to a regular room in about 2 hours, but it could be anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours. Yes, you can see her, she's in room 313."

Dr. Webb's pager beeped, and he looked at it.

"Excuse me, I need to take this. Here is my card. Now, you can see her, then, I suggest you pack a bag for her, and, if you want, come back.

Anybody gives you any flack, tell them to talk to me."

Dr. Webb got up from his seat, and left the waiting room.

"We should pack the bag in the morning."

"Yes, we should."Alan responded.

"Dad, how are we gonna tell Larry?"

Alan sighed, and shook his head, his voice intertwined with fear and pain.

"I don't know, son, I really don't know. We should ask Charlie tomorrow about how to get in contact with Larry ."Alan's voice shook uncertainly.

"Let's go see her." Don said

"Definitely." Alan responded, and they both walked into Megan's room. They both audibly gasped at the sight of Megan who lied there, lifeless, almost blending in with the pale white blanket that had covered her.

Don took a deep breath in, shuttered, and was reminded of the horrid hospital smell. The first time he had smelt that smell, he was in Fugitive Recovery, with Coop, protecting that witness. The next time was right after he got off the plane from Albuquerque when his mom had cancer, and the next was when he had to talk with that freeway violence victim. The last time he had been talking to someone in a hospital was when Megan was kidnapped.

Don reached over and took Megan's hand gently in his, and Alan did the same.

"Do you think she'll ever be able to walk again?" Don asked his father

"I..I don't know, Donnie. It will definitely be awhile, but I think she'll make it through, and hopefully, she'll be able to walk again. We should see what we can find out about what's happening to her, and what we can do to help her."Alan said thoughtfully

"Yeah. I want the best doctors, the best therapists, the best everything for her. I mean, that's what Larry would want, right?"Don responded

"You really do care about her, don't you?"Alan said

"Yeah, I guess I do. I mean, it's like we're siblings, ya know." Don said.

Dr. Webb walked in.

"I have some good news."

"What is it, Doctor?"Don and Alan asked

"Although Megan had to have both her legs amputated, we are almost positive that she will be able to use prosthetics to walk. She's gonna need alot of support to get through this, so what I suggest is that you take these beepers-" the doctor handed the beepers to Don and Alan "and go to our library just down the hall. You can use the materials there to find out what you can do to help her, and more about her condition. These beepers will vibrate when we have updates to her condition, and then, when they do, just come back here. Either me, a nurse, or a volunteer will inform you of her condition."

"Alright. Let's go."Don said, and the pair walked down the hall to the library. They both walked in, and looked around.

"Should we start on the internet?" Don asked, and Alan nodded

They both took a computer, and started. Don searched "amputee" and Alan searched "amputee support"

"Hey Dad, try It seems like they have alot of stuff."

"I'm there right now. She's definitely going to need us. What kind of info does the hospital have on support groups?" Alan asked

"I don't know. We should check." Don said as Alan got up and started to search through the bookcases full of books and papers. He came to a rack full of brochures that had a TAKE ME sign with a down arrow. Alan's eyes locked on the Patient Guides and the Visitor & Family Guides. He grabbed one Patient Guide, and two Visitor Guides.

"Donnie, catch."

"A Visitor and Family Guide? What else do they have?"Don asked as he walked over.

"A Patient Guide, and lots of brochures. Wait, here's one for amputees." Alan grabbed the brochure from the rack, and started reading it.

"What are the visiting hours?" Don asked

"They are flexible. We should ask her nurse if someone can stay overnight."

"The amputee support group is on the 3rd friday of every month." Alan said, and Don's hip buzzed.

"They've got updates on Megan." Don and Alan grabbed their brochures, and rushed out. They ran down the hall, and looked for Doctor Webb.

"Easy, guys. We just moved Megan to a regular room. Room 315. Just down the hall, 3rd from the last on your left."Doctor Webb stopped the two men.

"Thanks. Is she still sedated?"Don asked

"Yes, it should be about 36 hours at the least and about 2 1/2 days at the most. But the sedative is light, so she may wake up occasionally."

"Thanks."Alan said.

Once again both Don and Alan walked into Megan's room, and once again found her silently sleeping. Don pulled a chair over, and Alan did the same. They both started reading the visitor guides...

Hmm... Flexible visitor hours. She's definitely going to need us, so I hope one of us can stay overnight. How are we gonna tell Larry? Oh god.Alan thought.

Don thought: Granger, I hope you're happy. You've managed to slice Megan's legs off, and now she might be confined to a wheelchair. For life. You little SOB, you have no idea what I'm gonna do when I get my hands on you. How is she gonna take this?

"Donnie, we should see if we can stay the night."Alan said

"We should. Excuse me, but can visitors stay overnight?"Don called to a nurse who was standing just outside the door.

"Not tonight, because she needs her rest. You can come back at about 7:00 am tomorrow, but you will have to be very quiet because all the patients are still sleeping. Megan may be off the sedative, but she will be very tired and woozy, so she will probably sleep most of the day."

"Thank you, uh,"Alan said nervously

"Rachel."Rachel said

"Thank you Rachel."Don said

"You are very welcome. Now you both should get some sleep."

"We will. Thank you."
Sign up to rate and review this story