Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Waning Moon

Love

by Lupi 0 reviews

Sesshomaru muses on love.

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Inuyasha,Sesshoumaru - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-08-18 - Updated: 2007-08-18 - 585 words

0Unrated
2. Love

Love.

It is considered a special type of emotion, one that everyone wants to gain from another living being, or so his mother had explained.

There are different kinds of love, which can be revealed in many ways: the love of a husband and wife through tender kisses, the love of a child towards their parent through their smiles, laughs and hugs, or the childish love of a first crush shown with the giving of a sloppy looking bouquet of freshly picked flowers.

Sesshomaru thinks it is selfish to love someone. Because if you love someone, you think of yourself: how you would make them smile, the special smile that never fails to cause a burning happiness inside your chest, how they would make your life better, how they would make you happy.

Sesshomaru doesn’t understand the mechanics of love. He doesn’t understand how someone can feel so much for a person that it hurts to not be near them, or how a person can render another completely helpless with just a smile. He finds the concept of loving someone to the point of being willing to die for them ridiculous.

Love is unnecessary; it is easy to be selfish without the trouble of wanting to protect a person.

All he needs is himself. He does not protect anyone, and in return he doesn’t need nor expect protection.

He is sitting by the tangled roots of a large tree, with Rin and Jaken in front of him, making Rin’s dinner. Jaken has just finished cooking a hare. He will eat later, out of his young ward’s sight. She would not understand his need for raw meat.

Sesshomaru doesn’t understand what keeps him from abandoning this little girl and his annoying servant. He doesn’t understand why Inuyasha is still wreaking havoc in his lands, despite having clashed with him in battle many times. They are all annoying, one too loud, another too pathetic, and the other… She is human; he should have left her dead.

The demon lord wonders whether it is a sort of love that keeps Rin and Jaken alive. He wonders whether it is love that holds him back from killing Inuyasha whenever they battle; he is more than strong enough to do so.

It is a plausible explanation. One that Sesshomaru disapproves of immensely. He supposes idly that (if it were the case) his love for Inuyasha is justified; despite their different parenting and upbringing they are half-brothers.

He leaves his brooding as Rin tugs on his kimono and offers him some of the hare that had been cooking. He politely refuses, stating that ‘he does not eat human food’. She simply smiles and accepts the answer, and he wonders if it is love that makes him feel when she does.

Later that night he catches the scent of his younger brother and his troop. He is bored, so he follows it. Rin and Jaken are safely sleeping besides Ah Un. It takes a mere few minutes to find the small camp the group have set up. He takes in the scene carefully.

The monk is laying by a tree with the huntress lying a few feet away, the kitsune in her grasp. The neko is curled up by her head. He then catches sight of him, and Sesshomaru wonders whether it is love that causes the angry, hot jealousy to boil in his blood, as Inuyasha cuddles close to the miko, and smiles.
Sign up to rate and review this story