Categories > Original > Historical > The Sultan And I

The Sultan and I

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Elaine, shows the sultan that things can change for the better in Constantinople.

Category: Historical - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-08-30 - Updated: 2007-08-30 - 1423 words - Complete

0Unrated
“We need to get something to send back to England, to show the sultan’s plans,” Robert told her later, “if we don’t soon, the king could grow angry.”
Elaine nodded reluctantly, “I don’t like being a spy,” she said, “but if I’m not, the king could accuse me of treason.”
“Don’t think of it as being a spy,” Robert said to her, “think of it as being a patriot.”
Elaine shook her head, “no matter what you call it, if I’m found out I could still be executed.”
“I’ll distract Ibrahim and Hamid,” Robert said, “I’ve already done some reconnoitering, and the sultan keeps all his correspondence, in a large room down the hall. Just be careful that you aren’t caught by the sultan or his grand Vizar, because not even the king himself can help you if you are.”
Elaine nodded, then waited until Ralph distracted her two guards with a carafe of wine, then she slipped down the hall into the Sultan’s correspondence room, a large room with an enormous table in the middle. Hung on the wall was a large map of the civilized world and on the table lay a pile of maps, on top of the maps was a stack of papyrus. Elaine picked up the top one and read it, “Constantinople has finally been won,” it said, written in what Elaine supposed was the sultan’s handwriting, “next I turn my eye onto Africa, especially Egypt, the land of many gods. Soon I will conquer them, and all will be under the one true God.”
Elaine heard footsteps coming up to the other door at the end of the room and she slipped the papyrus into her bodice, before hurrying out into the hallway. Swiftly, she walked to her room, where Ibrahim and Hamid, lay flanking the door, snoring loudly. Robert was standing in the door way calmly drinking a cup of wine.
She looked at Robert, “what did you do to them?” She asked.
Robert held out a little vial, “a very strong sleeping potion that acts in seconds.” He said, “when they wake up, they’ll have a big headache and think they got drunk.”
Elaine walked into the room, followed closely by Robert, “did you get it?” He asked softly.
Elaine nodded her head, “we must go today, to the king’s man and deliver this,” she said.
Quickly she walked over to a small closet and took out a long hooded cape that was the color gold.
“If anyone sees me, they’ll think I’m just out for a stroll with my servant,” Elaine said softly. She turned to Maria, “make sure no one comes in here, if they ask just tell them I felt ill.”
Maria nodded, looking troubled, “please be careful my lady,” she begged, and Elaine nodded her head.

They left the palace by a back way that Robert had found and swiftly traveled through the streets of Constantinople, Elaine kept her hood up, so that her hair and face were covered, afraid she might be recognized. Finally the reached the jewelry maker’s workshop, and Elaine went inside, while Robert stood by the door as a guard.
The jewelry maker was a large black-haired man and he smiled at Elaine, showing missing teeth.
“What can I do for such a beautiful lady?” He asked.
“I am an English rose that has lost her way,” Elaine said softly, “can you help me find it?”
The jewelry maker, grasped her arm and lead her to the back. “What have you found out?” He asked quietly, looking around to make sure no one could hear them.
Elaine reached into her bodice and pulled out the papyrus, “this is from the sultan’s personal correspondence,” she said, “I think that the king will find it very helpful.”
The jewelry maker took the papyrus, then pressed a golden bracelet studded with gems in her hand.
“I hope you like this bracelet,” he said loudly, “a beautiful bracelet for an even more beautiful lady.
Elaine smiled at him, taking the bracelet, and drawing her hood over her head, before leaving the jewelry maker’s workshop.
“Is it done?” Robert asked, and Elaine nodded.

They were walking back to the palace, when suddenly the sound of thundering hooves sounded down the street.
Robert groaned in dismay, “the potion certainly didn’t last long,” he said.
Elaine looked at the approaching horsemen and saw a very unhappy looking Ibrahim and Hamid, riding with ten Janissary guards. Her heart felt like it dropped into her feet, when she saw the lead horseman was Mehmed, and he looked more angry then unhappy.
He quickly got off the horse and strode over to where she was standing. He grabbed her shoulders, an angry glint in his eyes and said harshly, “you little fool, what do you think you’re doing wandering these streets alone?”
Robert stepped forward, with his sword drawn, ready to defend Elaine with his life.
The ten Janissary guards, Hamid and Ibrahim, all drew their swords as well.
Mehmed turned and said, “sheathe your swords and go back to the palace.” He turned and glared at Robert, “you too.”
Reluctantly his men did, what he said, but Robert stood there, challenging Mehmed.
Elaine said softly, “go back to the palace Robert, I’ll be fine.”
Robert sheathed his sword and threw one more defiant glare at Mehmed, then walked past him, toward the palace.
Mehmed turned and stared at Elaine and she took a step back at the look in his eyes. Without a word, Mehmed grasped Elaine’s waist and practically threw her up on his horse, before mounting behind her and thundering down the street.

“Where are you taking me?” Elaine asked, but Mehmed ignored her.
They rode until they came to a large marketplace, there was a raised dias on one side and Elaine gasped when she saw that a slave auction was happening there. Mehmed dismounted from his horse, before pulling her off. He grasped her wrist and led her to a small purple tent that was set up next to the dias. He pushed her inside, pointing to a small chair that was sitting in front of a large window, cut out of the tent material.
“Sit there and find out what happens to foolish beautiful women who travel the streets of strange cities alone,” he ordered her.
“I wasn’t alone,” Elaine, objected, then snapped her mouth shut when she saw the look on Mehmed’s face.
Elaine watched in horror as the slave traders stripped the women naked, letting the men examine them as they would a horse, then each woman was auctioned off to the highest bidder. Finally with tears streaming down her face, she turned her head.
“I’ve seen enough,” she said, then rose and went to where Mehmed stood. “You are sultan why do you allow this to happen?”
Mehmed looked at her, startled that she would ask such a question, “this is the way of the world, its how things are. The weak are preyed upon by the strong.”
“But why does it have to be that way? Why can’t you at least change things where you rule?” Elaine demanded hotly.
Mehmed stared at her for a moment, before turning and striding out of the tent. Elaine followed him out and watched, as Mehmed approached the dias.
The crowd began to whisper and the slave traders looked at Mehmed in amazement when he, mounted the white stairs on the other side of dias and strode to where they stood. Stopping before them.
“Free all the slaves left,” he said throwing a large bag of coins on the ground at the chief slave trader’s feet. Then he turned and looked at the crowd who stared up at him in shock, “from now on there is no slave trading in Constantinople,” he shouted. Then he descended the stairs and pushed through the now protesting crowd, back to where Elaine stood, watching him with an expression of admiration.
“You are a very strange woman, ambassador,” he said. “You have cost me much money and tomorrow I will have all the slave traders in Constantinople breaking down my door with their complaints, but the expression on your face, makes me not care.”
He grabbed Elaine by the waist, setting her on the horse, then mounted behind her and rode away from the marketplace, toward the palace.
Sign up to rate and review this story