Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > Murder Mystery Space Station 13

Chapter 1 - Toppling Kingpins

by Sensi 1 review

The crew of space station 13 find they have a murder aboard their station. Who is killing them off, one by one?

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2007-09-08 - Updated: 2007-09-09 - 1302 words

0Unrated
Author's Note: Well, here we go. This is one of the few stories I've actually finished, and it's more then a few years old. I could have done much better on it, but it's by no means bad...I think. It's based off of the world of an extremely tiny roleplaying game I play, so some of the things may be confusing.

Cerberius Grey leaned on his elbow, sitting a chair as Jack Smith outlined the medical terms of his complicated experiment. It had something to do with monkeys, and hyper-accelerating growth. Cerberius yawned. Looks like the...what’s the word...exhibition was about to start. Jack pointed to two young monkeys, barely off their mothers? milk. “Observe,” the white-suited man said, “Two young monkeys. Both of roughly same age and size. The first one…” He gestured to one of the monkeys. “...has been treated to constant care, excellently feeding habits, and generally the cream of the crop.” Cerberius wondered on how they had gotten such a well-cared for monkey on this junkyard of a station. “This one,” gesturing to the other monkey, ‘Is just a monkey. Observe.” He took a syringe off the table and went towards the second monkeys, he injected it then stood back.

The effects were astounding, the monkeys quickly aged, he went from a child, to an adult, and then to an elderly monkey in seconds. He was surprised when the monkey suddenly fell over, presumably dead. “What happened was.…“He went into a long explanation, basically he said that the monkey’s growth hormone was accelerated to an astounding amount. Cerberius yawned, it was going to be one of those days, he hadn’t even been to Riker’s lab yet...

James Vortez shuffled around the papers on his desk. He sighed. This was the only bad part about being the boss, paperwork up to his scalp roots. He glanced up as Miranda Bluegear peeked around in the bridge. Shy girl, he mused, really didn’t seem the type of the other security boys. Perhaps she had hidden strengths…? A trip, a fall, she fell onto the nearby water tank as she was shyly glancing behind it. No hidden strength, just a girl. He sighed again, he was hoping the other new guard they got, Datario Tuska, wasn’t like she was...

Will Riker went over his formulas as he had done many times. He was nervous, and that wasn’t good. Toxins weren’t like drugs and medical gizmos; if the medical stuff went wrong one monkey died. If toxins went wrong, there was a hole in the station where toxins was...and the toxins research and his young technician, John Dark, signed out permanently. He shivered with the thought. “Johnny! How?s the nitrogen coming?” John glanced at the heater. “It should be ready soon sir.” Riker ran his fingers through his hair and let out a breath. You could cut the tension with a knife.

Brace threw a radio across the room at Varrius Frost, who jumped to the side. “Missed again! You got the aim of a five year old!” Brace growled, and picked up a previously thrown analyzer before feeling something hit his back. “Gotcha!” Brace growled, then laughed. Engineers turn crazy when they have nothing to do.

Security Officer Datario Tuska walked inside the security bay and glanced back and forth. He analyzed all of the vital points, military fashion and all that. He glanced inside the jail for a second, then looked back. A mass in handcuffs and an orange jumpsuit was sitting in the bed, staring at Datario with unwavering eyes. Tuska glanced over at the forensics tech, Jonathan Corley. “Corley, Who’s the jailbird?” He didn?t need to look up from the security console. “Max Power, killed the old forensics tech, Meikeru I think his name was, and the old Med Researcher, Raynolds. They’ve left him here because of prison overflow near us or something.” He shrugged, Tuska noted that Corley spoke with authority, an authority that he did not appear to have. Interesting...

Head of Personnel Gonja Mcnail scratched his head and sat down in the chair Jim Smith had pulled up for him. “Thanks, tech.” The technician shrugged and sat down in another. Gonja stared out in space. His left ear was twitchy, that always meant something bad was about to happen. He glanced over at the station tech. “Smith, be on your toes today.” The man shrugged.

Karl Marx sat in courtroom, his helmet over his head, peacefully dozing. The old guard was supposed to patrol the station, but with the two new guard he didn?t need to. Why would those three need an old greybeard anyway? He gave a small snore, still surrounded by blissful slumber.

Jayven Kuo sat in medbay, chatting with the doctor Alex Riggs. The conversation was really a bit boring, Alex’s personality was aloof, but they said any port in a storm. Jayven sighed and glanced up at the ceiling. He made a grimace, and Alex moved in. “Your stomach bothering you?” Jayven shook his head. “Hmm....Your leg?“ Jayven nodded with a small moan. It was that scar from back in the day, when a battle had been going on near his hometown...always bothered him. “Old injury…” He muttered. Alex glanced at it. “It should be fine, walk it off is my prescription.” Jayven looked up at him. “You’re a very technological doctor, aren’t you?” Riggs just grinned.

John Farrell, the atmospherics tech, sat dozing in atmospherics lab. It was a lazy day for many a person, Farrell included. He wasn’t exactly essential personnel, seeing as his job was to make sure the air was good all over the station. He really was a waste of a payroll, but he wasn’t complaining. Why should he have cared what NanoTrasen big boys did? He went back to sleep...

Seven hours later

Gonja groaned and smacked his head, it was gonna be one of those days. About three hours ago, Cerberius had gone missing. No one had found him, but Gonja was pretty sure one of the security team had been paid off. That’s right, he was napping somewhere. Mcnail growled, ever since then he had been doing the Head of Research?s job. Now he had to check up on the Toxins Researcher. He opened the door and stepped inside. He had to appear completely controlled and calm...

Datario Tuska stepped into the lounge. His sharp eyes saw everything. The Atmospherics Technician, John Farrell, was napping on the stools around the lounge. Another glance revealed Karl Marx was doing the same. Tuska would have whipped them into shape if he had nothing better to do, but he had other duties. He stepped into the area that lead into food storage.

Datario’s eyes noticed a red dot on the floor next to the airlock that led into the food storage. Tuska observed it, either a very crimson red paint...or blood. It must be looked to, he stepped inside food storage. The boxes of food piled up next to each other, at first, as his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he saw nothing.

Then Tuska saw the red river running down the floor. He followed it to a corner of a room, then barely was able to hold his stomach in. There, limp against the wall, sat what was once Cerberius Grey. The Head of Research’s body was bloody red, and blood ran down his arms and legs. Datario wondered what happened to him. His ears told him footsteps had entered the room, he then realized his fatal mistake - he hadn’t closed the airlock. He pulled the gun out of his belt and wheeled himself around...
Sign up to rate and review this story