Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Golden Murder

Chapter 5: A Sleepless Night

by pen_name 2 reviews

A bit of recap on the story so far, some sword-fighting and... a new victim!

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Asuma,Kakashi,Sasuke,Shikamaru,Temari - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-09-12 - Updated: 2007-09-12 - 8347 words

0Exciting
CURSE THE EVIL THAT IS WRITER’S BLOCK!!! No, seriously. I know exactly what I want to put in this chapter and everything, but when I was trying to write it, I got… stuck. There’s no other word for it. And I’m really, truly, deeply sorry for the delay. Man, I couldn’t even write a drabble for More Unspoken Rules much less a murder mystery. I thought it’ll come back if I take a break for a while, you know, put some distance. Before I knew it, days become weeks and I’m still stuck. T_T I was so frustrated at myself. Finally though, I managed to gather some resolve and just force myself to do it. So, again, I’m so very sorry for being terribly late and I hope you guys are still with me… puppy eyes Pleeeease?



Chapter 5

A Sleepless Night

----------------------------------------

Laughter could be heard faintly from the Leaf Anteroom, though it died down the minute Sasuke opened the door.

“Well,” he deadpanned. “It’s good to see you had fun while I wasn’t here.”

Kakashi grinned. “Come on, Sasuke. We were just alleviating the tension a bit while waiting for you.”

“So how did it go?” Asuma tried to avoid bloodshed by going straight to business. “Did you find out more about the murder in Nara and that old photograph?”

Sasuke scowled as he sat down. “Nothing much. I didn’t get to find out who that fourth person was, though tomorrow some files will be sent here. Nara Police Headquarters also promised to send their case file regarding Nara Shikaku’s murder as soon as possible.”

“It’s still unsolved?” asked Kakashi.

“Hn,” Sasuke grumped. “There’s a high possibility that the two murders are committed by the same person. Nothing is certain though. Anyway, let’s start reviewing today’s progress. Kakashi, you go first. What have you found this far?”

“Right. Let’s start from the beginning,” the one-eyed detective began as he put his hands together on the table. “First of all, we can be sure that this is not a robbery. I found that all the drawers in the Leaf Room and here in its anteroom had been forced open, yet nothing valuable was taken. The contents are in disarray, suggesting that the culprit was looking for something in a hurry. I don’t know if they’ve found what they’re looking for, and if they haven’t…”

“More heads will roll,” Asuma sighed. “And since we’ve established that the killer is someone on the inside, not to mention we’ve put the mansion in lockdown ever since this morning…”

“The killer is still here,” Sasuke continued for him in a firm tone. Then he asked Kakashi, “Have you established how the killer entered the room?”

“Most definitely not from the window. I’ve checked the North Garden and there’s no tree or whatever other means to climb up here. Ladders are kept in the tool shed, which is locked at all times and only the Head Gardener and Majordomo have the key, and can’t possibly be used without alerting the guard dogs. I think that since Hiashi didn’t lock the door, the killer just walked right in.”

Asuma snorted. “Either that or through a secret passage somewhere.”

“You’ve been reading too much murder mysteries,” the Hatake chuckled.

“No, seriously. I found out that there’s a secret chamber connected to the Butler’s room. It’s really small and doesn’t go anywhere, but who’s to say there aren’t other secret chambers or passages in this huge mansion?”

Kakashi was more than intrigued. “Wait, wait, a secret chamber? And you’ve actually seen this chamber?”

“That Butler Jiraiya took me there himself after I made him tell me about it. Unfortunately, neither he nor the Majordomo knows of other secret rooms or passages aside from that one. Maybe the family members know, so I’m planning to ask them about it once I have the chance.”

“With a mansion as elaborate as this I won’t be surprised to find lots of them,” Sasuke grated. “This is just getting more and more complicated.”

“Hm,” Kakashi went contemplative. “Maybe that small key I found in the study opens a secret room? Or a secret passage? I haven’t found the lock though, and I’ve turned both this anteroom and the Leaf Room upside down.”

“Let me see that key,” Sasuke said.

Kakashi gave the small key to Sasuke, who proceeded to examine it thoroughly. He then mumbled, “I don’t think this opens a door. Keys this small are usually for drawers. You said this key belonged to Hiashi’s first wife, right? My mother used to have a key like this, and the drawer is a hidden one. Usually, women use hidden drawers to hide things of sentimental value, like letters, small trinkets, favorite jewelry, or diary.”

“Then you don’t think I should pursue this, since it won’t help us solve the case?”

“No, I’m not saying that. Just… maybe we should focus more on the people. In any case, what’s that Butler using the room for?”

Asuma chuckled. “He’s using it as an office of sort. He’s a writer apparently, and the room is only big enough for a small table, a typewriter and a chair. He also keeps his published works there.”

“His works are published?” asked Kakashi. “I’ve never heard of a writer named Jiraiya.”

“With your choice of literature, that’s not surprising,” snorted Sasuke.

“I wouldn’t say that,” Asuma laughed harder. “In fact, I think Kakashi has read all of his writings.”

Kakashi blinked. “You mean…”

“Yep, he’s the writer of Icha Icha. He keeps it a secret in fear of giving House Hyuuga a bad name. The only people who knows are the Majordomo and, believe it or not, Hyuuga Hiashi himself.”

“Hiashi knew? That doesn’t make sense,” Sasuke said with a frown. “You don’t let your Butler have a side job. That’s just wrong. Kakashi, what do you think? Hn? Kakashi? Oy, Kakashi!”

“Wha- wha-? Oh… Right… Jiraiya’s the writer of Icha Icha…”

Both Sasuke and Asuma rolled their eyes at Kakashi’s blank look. Here we go; in three, two, one…

“He’s the writer of Icha Icha! Oh, my God! I have to meet him! I have to pay my respects! I have to tell him how great his work is! I have to…”

Sasuke finally opted to ignore Kakashi’s ranting of worship and turn to Asuma again. “What else have you found out? You were profiling the people here to help narrow down suspects, right?”

Asuma followed the lead. “Yes, I was. I’ve talked to more people while you’re away, and I’ve gathered some useful information.”

“…I have to at least shake his hand! I have to…”

“So tell us,” Sasuke said before correcting himself, seeing as Kakashi was still stuck in Jiraiya Worship. “I mean, tell me. Start from the staff.”

“Alright,” Asuma sighed while eyeing Kakashi balefully. “The Majordomo and Butler, Tsunade and Jiraiya, are the oldest. They’ve been with the family the longest. I don’t think they’re the killer since it’s obvious how loyal they are to this House. However…”

“However…?”

“Rich noble families, old money… There are always secrets there. I think those two know about it, although I’m not sure whether or not it has anything to do with the murder. Like you said, no other Head of the House would let his Butler has a side job. Moreover, Hiashi knew about Tsunade’s acute gambling problem and actually helped her deal with debt collectors without giving her any punishment.”

“Hn. That’s unheard of. In fact, that’s just plain wrong.”

“I agree. We’ve heard that Hiashi was a kind but very stern man. This thing with Jiraiya and Tsunade doesn’t make any sense, not unless they have something that could bring down the house -- figuratively speaking, of course.”

“But you don’t know what that ‘something’ is or if it’s connected to the case.”

“That’s right. It’s your call, Sasuke. Do you want me to pursue this, or should I concentrate on something more tangible?”

“Hn,” Sasuke grunted as he thought about it. “That depends on what other information you can provide me with.”

“Of course,” Asuma concurred. “Now, the only staff member we should put in our suspect list is Orochimaru. He’s somewhat maniacal so I can’t get a good reading of him. But I do know that he has all the right motives.”

“So out of all these people who run this mansion, you only suspect /one/?”

“Some of them are rather… off, yes, but none has a motive or even fit the profile. For example, you may suspect Mitarashi Anko for her prickly attitude towards the young Madam. But that’s only because she’s the type who took the job with the romantic hopes of falling in love and be whisked away to a castle by a rich man, as seen from the way she keeps trying to attract young, male guests. Another example is Yakushi Kabuto. He might hate Hiashi for firing Orochimaru and appointing Akimichi Chouji as the new Head Cheff, but he’s very logical and materialistic. His first priority is his job, so he couldn’t have killed his employer. Inuzuka Kiba has a motive, but he’s one of those good souls who love animals and can’t hurt a fly. I heard that Hyuuga Neji had to shoot a limp horse himself once, just because Kiba couldn’t do it. Besides, he’s loyal to the family and killing Hiashi won’t help him win Hinata. I can go on forever with this, but what’s the point?”

“Hn. You’re right. What about the guests?”

“Well, we all know the most suspicious of all is Nara Shikamaru, but I’ve gathered that we also need to keep an eye on Momochi Zabuza.”

“I’ve interviewed him. He made some interesting points, but not as useful.”

“From Jiraiya, I found that the office he’s leading in Yokohama was once a different company entirely. Momochi Logistics. It was owned by his family. It went bankrupt after the war, and the Hyuuga twins bought it from his father before turning it in to a branch office.”

“That’s not so bad, especially since they let the Momochi people stay.”

“That’s not the whole story. Zabuza’s father, the Head of House Momochi at the time, committed suicide not even an hour after the documents relinquishing his company were signed. Sure the Hyuugas were very concerned and went out of their way to help the Momochis, even paying for Zabuza’s education and made him the Head of that branch office when it was time, but still…”

“He could be holding a grudge towards the Hyuugas. He might hold them responsible for his father’s death.”

“That is so.”

“Hn. No wonder he’s very cynical. Anyone else we should consider? The Sabaku siblings maybe?”

“Ah, yes. That Sabaku Gaara is very intriguing, eh? Oy, Kakashi, weren’t you the one who…” Asuma trailed off as he realized that Kakashi was still in his own world.

“…the greatest writer in Japan! Hey, do you think it’s appropriate if I ask for his autograph?”

There was an awkward silence for a while as Asuma stared blankly at Kakashi. The silvery-haired detective stared right back innocently, not knowing what was wrong. Of course, it didn’t take long before a familiar growl breaks the tableau.

“Kakashi, focus,” Sasuke spat. “Or die.”

“Uh… right. Sorry. Where were we?”

Asuma had to hold back from snickering. “I’m about to tell you guys about what I’ve found out about the three Sabakus.”

“Oh, /that/, of course,” Kakashi exclaimed sheepishly. “So how was it? Did you find anything on that creepy redhead?”

“Okay, here it goes. The Sabaku family of Kyoto had been close with the Hyuuga family for generations, both being noble families and somewhat related. However, while the Hyuugas flourished after the war, just like the other Houses in Japan the Sabaku lost their riches. They survived by discarding the concept of family companies and have each family members bring in money with their own devices individually, and they raised their children with those values.”

Kakashi nodded in understanding. “So each family member has different jobs in different companies and areas, just like common families.”

“That’s right,” Asuma said while lighting a cigarette. “Now let’s focus on the siblings in this mansion. As you may know, the oldest of the three, Temari, is a prominent traditional dancer in Kyoto. I’ve gathered that Kankurou is a mechanic while the youngest, Gaara, is… Can you guess?”

“A soldier?” Kakashi tried.

“A butcher?” Sasuke added just for the fun of it.

“A killer for hire?” Kakashi laughed.

“If he is, I’ll hire him to kill you,” Sasuke deadpanned.

Asuma snorted. “Sorry to disappoint you, but he’s a potter.”

Kakashi practically gaped. “You’re joking.”

“Nope. He’s actually quite famous. Sabaku Gaara the Clay Prodigy.”

Sasuke frowned. “I’ve heard of that name. I can’t believe I didn’t realize it was him.”

“Well,” sighed Kakashi. “That’s a big surprise. Maybe that’s why he’s so eccentric, you know? Being an artist and all.”

“True. And he’s suffering from insomnia, too,” Asuma chuckled. “Anyway, in connection to this case, the only thing I found was that Sabaku Temari seems infatuated with our prime suspect Nara Shikamaru. It’s unclear whether or not that fact bears any significance though.”

“I don’t think it does,” said Sasuke. “It’s obvious that she just met him. What else did you find out about the Sabaku family?”

“Their parents died years ago in an accident. Afterwards they were taken care of by their grandmother Chiyo and the whole family was supported by their uncle Sabaku Sasori, a very famous engineer whose machineries are sought after even in Europe and who remained unmarried until now. There’s a rumor that he’s homosexual and involved with that famous artist Deidara, but no one knows for sure.”

Kakashi snickered. “Wow. Where did you get all that?”

“Hey, the one eye may see all, but these two ears can hear /more/.”

“Good one, Asuma. But you know, we’ve known each other for years, and I never pegged you for the gossipy type.”

“I don’t gossip. I do background checks. There’s a difference.”

“Enough,” Sasuke suddenly grated. “If there’s no one else of importance among the guests, let’s move on to the family members.”

“Sorry,” Asuma said as his chuckle died down. “I think Kakashi knows more about them than I do. You did question that tutor about the family, didn’t you, Kakashi?”

“What? Oh, yeah, I did. And you were right. Iruka knows a lot about this family. Apparently, he grew up here because his father was the three older children’s tutor.”

“And what did you find out?” asked Sasuke impatiently.

Kakashi then relayed everything he had learned from Iruka, including each of the family member’s peculiarities. The highlight of it all, of course, was the fact that both Neji and Hanabi turned out to have a strong motive.

“That’s very interesting,” Asuma pondered out loud. “That particular young Lady is very cold and detached. It’s a shame we never had the chance to meet the other two Ladies of this House, Kurenai and Hinata. I would very much like to see their reaction to this situation.”

“Maybe we’ll see one or both of them this evening?” responded Kakashi. “If, even until tomorrow, they still hide themselves in their room, we should officially request an audience for questioning. Surely Hyuuga Neji would be sensible about that.”

“We’ll do that,” said Sasuke. “Now let’s go over our suspect list. Although we must treat everyone in this mansion a suspect, so far we have five names as our prime ones: Orochimaru who’s the former Head Cook, the family heir Hyuuga Neji, the youngest daughter Hyuuga Hanabi, an employee named Momochi Zabuza and, last but not least, a mysterious guest by the name of Nara Shikamaru.”

“That young man really troubles me,” Asuma said thoughtfully. “He’s never been here before so even though I’ve asked almost everyone about him, their answers are the same: Other than his name and stature, no one knows anything about him.”

Kakashi tried to remain positive. “Maybe we’ll find out more about his background in the case file from Nara. Let’s hope our counterparts there do their job thoroughly.”

“We won’t be getting that file until tomorrow night or the day after though,” mulled Sasuke out loud. “In the meantime, I think one of us should stick close to him. If he’s as dangerous as he appears to be, we shouldn’t let him out of our sight.”

“I agree,” said Asuma with a terse nod. “But we must proceed with caution. He’s too sharp. He’s bound to notice and, this is if he’s really the killer, take extra precautions in following up with his plans.”

Sasuke looked at his big senior. “What are you suggesting?”

“Rather than following or watching him, I think we should use a more direct approach. I can get friendly with him; have a game of chess or two while trying to get more out of him.”

“You’re right,” Kakashi said with a serious tone. “We can’t just assign one person to do that at all times though, or he’ll get suspicious. I, too, want to spend some time with him, observe him closer.”

“Then that is how we will proceed,” Sasuke affirmed. “However, don’t forget that he’s not the only one we should focus on. I, in particular, would like to find out more about those secret chambers and passages. We need to investigate this mansion more thoroughly.”

Asuma nodded. “Agreed.”

Sasuke pressed on. “Not to mention, there are things about Hiashi’s past that concerns me. Don’t forget about that old photograph Shikamaru showed us, and the fact that his father was also murdered.”

“Too true,” responded Kakashi. “By the way, Sasuke, with these things we’ve uncovered so far, who’s your number one suspect?”

“Hyuuga Neji.”

“And the reason?”

“Right now we’re still stuck with too many theories. However, there’s one person who benefits in all of them: Hyuuga Neji.”

Kakashi rolled his eyes. “Sasuke, he’s the heir. He benefits if Hiashi died of a heart attack. You can’t pick him based on that.”

“Alright, let me rephrase that,” Sasuke responded with a glare. “Apart from the theories involving Orochimaru and Momochi Zabuza, Hyuuga Neji benefits in all of them. In fact I’m almost one hundred percent sure he’s guilty. We just need to find the proof.”

“One hundred percent sure? We have no evidence. Hiashi was murdered with a pillow from his own bed so we have no cause to search people’s rooms and belongings for a murder weapon. Neji isn’t the only one with a strong motive. Plus, there’s this person from Nara whose father was also murdered. Everything is still too vague for you to say that. There are still too many variables.”

“Besides, he doesn’t strike me as the type that could kill someone from his own family. In fact, I heard Hiashi and Neji were pretty close,” added Asuma.

Sasuke threw him a dark stare. “You never know.”

Asuma stared right back nonchalantly and they could feel tension rising. Silence permeated the room until Sasuke suddenly stood up, saying, “It’s almost dinner time. I’d rather we don’t arrive late at the Dining Hall.”

Kakashi and Asuma looked at each other as Sasuke went out of the room and closed the door, not even saying another word. They sat there in silence for a while until Asuma deadpanned, “And you thought I’d be the one letting my past cloud my judgment.”

----------------------------------------

Temari took a walk around the North Garden, trying to alleviate her mind from what had been going on in the mansion; the murder of her host, the police investigation. The wind was blowing and the sun had begun to set. She took comfort from the smell and view of the beautiful flowers there, and that was when she saw Nara Shikamaru standing alone, staring vacantly at the statue in the middle of the garden.

Feeling all giddy, she approached the young man and started a conversation.

“You said you have no taste in art,” she said with a smile, stopping beside him.

Shikamaru returned the smile. “That I did. I think that’s why this statue confuses me.”

Joining the Nara in statue-watching, Temari realized that it wasn’t confusing at all. It wasn’t some abstract or symbolic form. It was a simple statue of a child, one arm stretched to the side, seemingly reaching at something, and it was the only statue in that garden. She never paid much attention to it before. It was one of those things that were just… there.

“Why is it confusing you?” she asked. “It’s clearly portraying a child.”

“It’s… unbalanced,” answered Shikamaru with a chuckle, amused by his own words.

Temari chuckled with him. “Unbalanced?”

“The figure is placed too much to the left side of its rectangular display base, don’t you think? This child statue has a vertical dimension. Either the base should’ve been square, or the statue should’ve been placed on the center of the base.”

“Don’t be silly, Shikamaru-kun,” Temari laughed lightly. “You won’t be able to enjoy art by being so… mathematical.”

“I know,” Shikamaru chuckled again. “It’s probably some kind of conceptual beauty that I can’t grasp. Maybe it’s because my mind is too mathematical, that this statue irritates me so.”

“Irritates? How so?”

“It’s probably just one of my own idiosyncrasies,” Shikamaru sighed, obviously annoyed by himself. “Looking at this imbalance makes me feel unbalanced. It just… disturbs me. My mind keeps telling me that something is missing, that something else used to accompany this child on that empty space next to him.”

“Would it make you feel better if I told you that there’s nothing missing at all?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“I’ve been visiting this mansion since I was little, and even then this statue has always been like this. So rest assured, Shikamaru-kun, that this child has always been here alone. Nothing is missing.”

“Ah, of course. I know that there’s nothing actually wrong with it. I’m the one lacking the ability understand it.”

Somehow intrigued by the whole idea, Temari tilted her head a bit to examine the statue more thoroughly as she tried to really understand the structure. It was quite well-preserved. Only the base was somewhat covered by ivy which, really, made the display more alive; more pleasant to look at. The young Lady brightened as an inspiration struck her. “I think I know why it was made this way.”

Shikamaru gave her an amused look. “Please, enlighten me.”

“What if the display base is actually a part of the statue itself? Maybe it was meant to depict some sort of road the child is about to walk, as seen from the way his arm extends toward the other end. Open your mind. The child is reaching at his destination.”

Eyeing the statue one more time, Shikamaru finally laughed. “You’re right. I never thought of that. Well, as I said, I have no taste or understanding at all when it comes to art and beauty.”

“Then you shouldn’t just stand here and let a statue… irritate you. You should walk around and enjoy other aspects of the garden,” the Lady Sabaku tried her luck and reach out a hand. “Kindly walk with me?”

The smile Temari had on her face was hardly innocent, and far be it for an intensely observant person like Shikamaru to miss it. He knew of the Lady’s attraction towards him, and he had chosen to neither encourage nor discourage it. This time, he was feeling rather indulgent towards Temari. After the conversation he just had with Neji, he could really use a lighter atmosphere, talks of nothing and everything trivial. And after their first meeting last night, he knew that Sabaku Temari could be very entertaining for his taste. After all, not too many people -- especially women -- could match him blow for blow in witty remarks.

“Lead the way,” he offered courteously, crooking an arm for her to cling to.

Temari gave him another predatory smile as she looped her arm around his proffered elbow. She led them around the garden, engaging him in challenging discussions. No matter how much she appeared ignorant, it was obvious to Shikamaru how highly educated she was. Of course, it was also obvious that she was hiding the fact for the sole purpose of laughing inwardly at other people -- mostly male suitors, if Shikamaru had to guess. She didn’t hide that intelligence from him, thankfully, probably because she was trying find out more about him; dig deeper. The young Nara couldn’t care less either way, so long as she could keep him entertained.

As the oldest of the Sabaku siblings, Temari wasn’t only refined, she was also hardened. She knew exactly what to do to get what she wants, especially from blindsided men. She was also very bold, as seen from the way she just upped and called him Shikamaru-/kun/ the first time they were introduced. Beautiful, daring, smart, and deadly. Those were the words Shikamaru would use to describe Sabaku Temari. Actually, those were the same words one would describe his mother. He found the thought disturbing, if not downright terrifying. He wondered what Temari’s response would be should he ever divulge that particular fact. Fortunately he still valued his life, and he had found long ago that offending a woman such as this one could be… troublesome.

They talked about many things, laughing at unimportant idiocies around them. The pleasant atmosphere didn’t die even as they reentered the mansion through the terrace doors of the Lightning Room.

“So this is the infamous Lightning Room,” Shikamaru commented amusedly, walking further inside and toeing off his shoes to step on the tatami mat covering a section of the spacious room.

Temari, whose arm no longer circling Shikamaru’s elbow, smirked as she watched her quarry look around. “Yes, it is. So, what do you think?”

“It’s… very expedient,” chuckled the young Nara, noting the variety of equipments provided. “Do they actually have use of all this?”

“I really wouldn’t know,” Temari laughed. “What about you, Shikamaru-kun? Of all these instruments, what do you usually use?”

“None, I would think,” Shikamaru sighed as he approached a daishou displayed near the wall, which was a form of decoration and not a tool for exercising. He took the katana from the set, leaving the wakizashi alone on its stand. “At least, none of the exercise instruments.”

Feeling somewhat perturbed by the way Shikamaru examined the traditional sword, Temari tried to draw his attention to the wooden and bamboo ones not far from them. “Not even those bokken or shinai over there?”

Shikamaru glanced at the aforementioned sword-training instruments. “I’ve never used one of those before.”

There was a distinct sound of metals grating as Shikamaru pushed the beautifully decorated tsuba with a thumb, his right hand softly gripping the tsuka. He didn’t pull the sword out any further than that, and proceeded to critically examine what little portion of the blade that was visible.

Footsteps rushing towards him, the sound of air separated in high speed…

“Za-”

Temari’s voice was drowned by the sound of dull metal meeting solid wood. The impact so great, it echoed throughout the room.

“-buza-san! What are…?”

The young lady trailed off as she realized that everything was already over. The sword was back in its sheath, a cracked bokken lied on the ground, and Zabuza sat by Gaara’s feet, the redhead’s hand still clutching the nape of his collar.

“An awkward starting position, with your back to your opponent… Your nukiuchi is highly commendable.”

Zabuza, suddenly realizing where he was and what he was doing, looked up to where the toneless, deep voice came from. “Gaara?”

“You should be thankful I was there to pull you away, Zabuza-san,” the youngest Sabaku said blandly. “Or you would’ve had several broken bones from being bludgeoned with a fake sword.”

Trying to save whatever pride he had left, Zabuza stood up and snorted. “I am in your debt then, young Sabaku Gaara. Although, one of us will have tell our host that we’ve ruined one of his high-quality bokken.”

Gaara didn’t even spare the big man a glance, completely focused on Shikamaru who already turned around to return the katana to the stand near the wall. “Your right hand drew the sword in perfect symmetry with the sayabiki performed by your left, a flow of nukitsuke so flawless it was unlike anything I’ve ever seen, right down to the straightening of your elbow and the twist of your grip.”

“Now, now, Gaara,” Temari’s cheerful voice tried to alleviate the tension. She didn’t know if the others have noticed, but she could sense a change in Shikamaru. Although the young man didn’t do or say anything, she saw how those indifferent eyes became… haunted? “He’s not some pottery that you can just evaluate out of the blue.”

Predictably, Gaara paid no mind to his older sister. “It’s clear now that you are very well-trained. Tell me, Shikamaru, why did you decline my offer during lunch?”

The young Nara shrugged as he turned to face Gaara. “As I said, I enjoy less physically demanding activities, such as chess and reading, more than I enjoy sword fighting.”

“Liar.”

The temperature dropped even more at the toneless accusation. The youngest of the Sabakus didn’t relent. He slowly stepped closer to Shikamaru, locking the other man’s eyes with his piercing gaze. “The sword flows… No, you flow. It’s impossible for you to not enjoy that. If you’re going to deny me, I’d rather you don’t insult me by lying. Why?”

Shikamaru met the stare head on. “As I have also told you earlier, your offer, gracious though it may be, is too dangerous. I don’t enjoy… cutting… people.”

“Cutting,” Gaara repeated. “You mean ‘killing’… as you, yourself, pointed out during lunch.”

The Nara didn’t answer and Gaara pushed on. He stated, rather frankly, “And you know you don’t enjoy killing people. You know that for a fact.”

“Gaara…” Temari sighed exasperatedly, perfectly hiding her fear of the situation.

“How interesting,” murmured Gaara, completely ignoring his older sister. Then he nodded slightly to the man in front of him. “I thank you, Nara Shikamaru, for showing me a performance that had given me an inspiration for a new design. But more importantly, I think, I should thank you for turning down my challenge.”

And with that statement of gratitude -- which was said with almost no intonation if not at all, Gaara turned around and walked out the room.

Temari promptly tried to loosen the tension. “I apologize, Shikamaru-kun. Gaara is a bit eccentric. He’s been like that since he was little. He doesn’t mean any harm, I assure you.”

“It’s alright,” Shikamaru responded politely as he walked towards the ruined bokken on the floor. “Although, I do wonder if he really spar often with real katana. The thought is quite disturbing.”

“Ah, well,” the lady began awkwardly, “let’s just say that pottery isn’t the only skill he’s renowned for, especially in the sword fighting aficionado circle. There are times when a master of some dojo or other would come and challenge him, and Gaara would always answer.”

The young Nara raised an eyebrow as he picked up the bokken. “None of those challenges resulted in death, I hope?”

“I wish I can say yes to that,” answered Temari with a resigned smile. “Unfortunately, although it rarely happened, death was the outcome.”

“And how come he’s never arrested for it?” Zabuza suddenly chimed in. “You do realize that, although it could be considered an act of self defense or accident, it was still murder?”

“Come now,” scoffed the young lady. “You know how these people are. They always sign an agreement of sort beforehand, relinquishing the victor from the responsibility of whatever consequence that might befall the loser. And they always duel in front of witnesses. I don’t find it entertaining, or even slightly amusing, but… well, apparently Gaara does.”

No one had any response to that. Shikamaru merely turned to Zabuza and gave the darker man his usual neutral smile. “I will apologize to Neji about this once I have the chance,” he said, referring to the bokken he was holding. “I hope your hands aren’t injured too badly, Zabuza-san.”

Zabuza nearly jumped at the sudden inquiry. He pretended not to feel the stinging heat on his palms and the incessant, small poundings in the joints of his fingers and wrists. He fixed Shikamaru with a cold smirk. “Oh, it’s alright. I let go of the bokken as soon as I have a good measure of the strength in your swing, so there’s almost no damage at all. That swing was not bad; not bad at all, especially for a man of science such as you.”

Temari rolled her eyes. Trust Zabuza to still try to look dignified after he just thoroughly made a fool of himself. The man was always about showing male dominance, towing his boy toy around and pretending not to know that people were pretending they didn’t notice what his pretty servant actually was. “Why did you attack him like that anyway?”

“Ah, yes, I guess I must apologize for that,” the imposing man chuckled. “I was planning to have a little exercise on my own, actually, and I just got out of the changing room over there when I saw young Shikamaru here perusing a decorative sword.”

“And what a finely made decorative item it was,” Shikamaru chuckled with him.

“Too true. Anyway, I guess I just wanted to have a little fun with you. I was quite sure you would dodge or parry the attack. Even if you hadn’t, I would’ve stopped right before the wood crack open your skull,” Zabuza elaborated, forcing himself and everyone around him to forget the part where Gaara saved him by pulling him back.

“Men,” Temari grumbled. “Even in jest they’re dangerous.”

“There was no danger at all, Temari. You women might not understand this, but all sword masters are in complete control of their strike.”

“I beg to differ,” another voice responded to Zabuza’s claim. All three of them turned to face the double door where Hanabi just stepped in. “I am a woman, yet I fully understand the true capabilities of sword masters.”

“Of which I am not one,” Shikamaru stated with a sheepish tone. He held out the mangled bokken for Hanabi to see. “Which explains how this came about. I owe this House an apology, Hanabi, for ruining such a high quality instrument. It was very crude of me.”

Hanabi eyed the wooden apparatus and the man holding it. “It’s quite alright, no apology necessary. What I do regret, most mournfully, is being here only for the last piece of your conversation instead of the main event. It must’ve been very… entertaining.”

“Entertaining indeed,” Temari told her with a wicked smile. “I’ll be happy to tell you all about it. Maybe during dinner?”

“I’d like that, Temari-san. In fact, I was on my way to the Dining Hall when I heard voices, so I went in here to inform whoever is inside that dinner is served.”

“Why thank you, Hanabi,” the older Lady said gleefully. “Come on then, boys. Let’s proceed to the Dining Hall, shall we?”

“Please, go ahead,” Zabuza addressed everyone. “I will follow shortly. I still have to change in to a more appropriate attire.”

Hanabi nodded. “Of course, Zabuza-san. And you can tell Haku over there to go to our Majordomo. I’m sure she can provide you with whatever you need for those abrasions on your palms.”

Haku, who had been standing quietly and unnoticeably in the corner all the while, bowed politely. Zabuza didn’t say anything, still trying to convince himself that no one noticed how badly injured he actually was while Shikamaru put the ruined bokken near the shelf where the other ones were kept before following the two young ladies out.

Dinner was pleasant, at least for Temari who spent half of it talking to Hanabi with low voices in a conspiring manner, the older almost giggling while the younger barely had any expression at all. Both ladies knew better than to openly ridicule Momochi Zabuza at the dinner table, and refused to tell anyone who asked what they were talking about.

Shikamaru also knew better than to ask Gaara about that new pottery design the man had mentioned earlier. Not only did he know the redhead would probably just ignore him, he also preferred to pretend that the event never happened. Instead, he occupied himself with the light conversations on the table, answering polite questions about his family and business with polite answers while throwing polite questions of his own. He noticed the tired and resigned look in Neji’s eyes, although the young host still carried himself very elegantly, even joining the conversations in his usual dignified and refined manner. He also noticed the three police detectives studying him -- although they were more than discreet -- and found himself not caring.

After everything was said and done, the night crept deeper and the mansion became eerily silent, Temari found herself lying on her bed in her nightgown yet unable to sleep. That last bit of afternoon was very intriguing, but less so compared to the man she spent it with.

Nara Shikamaru.

The young Nara was unlike any man she had ever met. For one thing, unlike the others, he hadn’t instantly stripped her with his eyes or turned in to a babbling idiot the minute they were introduced. Usually, that only happened with men who prefer other men. More than that, Shikamaru treated her much like her brothers and Neji. He engaged her in entertaining discussion, undisturbed by her intelligent and daring comments, asking her what she thinks of something instead of telling her what he thinks or how much her eyes resemble the stars.

What kind of person was he, really? He kept pointing out that he was more a scholar than a brawler, more a businessman than a physician, more a scientist than an artist. The way he carried himself, so relaxed and lazy, clashed horribly with the way he practically swept the floor with Zabuza in the Lightning Room. At first glance, Shikamaru seemed very docile; just another rich young man who knows everything about his business but nothing of hardship. However, after that incident just before dinner, he seemed far from docile. He felt dangerous. Lethal.

At least, that must be what Gaara thought. The man had a penchant for blood. He didn’t care if it was his opponent’s or his own, just as long as it rained on him or pooled on the floor. He was different from those people who murder without distinction. No, when Sabaku Gaara wanted to spill blood, it had to be with a sword. And there had to be two swords: His and his opponent’s. Crazy, but still acceptable. Other people might find it terrifying, but to Gaara, the genius artist who almost never sleep, blood was beautiful. Sabaku Gaara had no fear. He didn’t care if he lost, injured, or died. Yet this afternoon, her younger brother actually thanked Shikamaru for backing down from a duel. That had never happened before.

To say Temari was curious would be an understatement. The man was not only intriguing, he might actually say no to her. Her blood was somewhat boiling. Hey, what could she say? She’s woman; she has needs. She wasn’t an innocent virgin by far, although she kept her affairs closely to herself and only had them with men she found worthy, men who were smart enough to be discreet and not turn their little activity in to a big scandal. Most of them were foreigners, actually; men who never intended to stay and was soon on their way with their memories with her just as that, a memory. Shikamaru… well, the man was more than smart. If she came to him tonight, and if he accepted her offer, he would know to keep his silence.

However, Sabaku Temari had her pride. What’s to say the man won’t just slam the door to her face? He never showed any interest towards her more than he properly should. Not to mention, Temari couldn’t deny that her attraction was beyond physical, even though it wasn’t that far. Rejection would not only be humiliating, it would actually hurt. It wouldn’t hurt that bad, but it would hurt nonetheless. Besides, she would have to be blind to miss the way her prey and Neji eye each other.

Yes, that would be another issue to contemplate. She was never entirely sure of Neji’s sexuality. All she knew was how that almost-cousin-but-not-really of hers never pursued a relationship or even approached another person with anything other than civility. Sometimes though, and this happened very rarely, she caught the way those distinct Hyuuga eyes locked on an attractive male. However, Neji never did anything and she wasn’t stupid enough to try to make sure of what she only briefly saw.

Now then, what should she do? She wanted to try her luck and knock on Shikamaru’s door upstairs, but if it turned out Neji shared her interest in the man, she would feel really bad. It was hard enough for him to find someone special among the same gender; she didn’t want to make it even harder. She’d had way more fun than Neji, so she didn’t have the heart to take this one away from him. That is, of course, if it turned out that Shikamaru swing that way too.

Oh, who was she kidding? It was almost as clear as day from the way those two look at one another. However, it wasn’t her fault they decided not to do anything about it. She might feel sorry for them -- she knew it was impossible for them to pursue anything, being who they were -- but she was a firm believer of “finders keepers”. Sure, she might back off if it turned out Neji had also made a move, if only out of pity for the man. But until then, she figured Nara Shikamaru was fair game. She might be rejected but, unlike Neji, she would hate herself forever if she didn’t at least try. Besides, Shikamaru knew tact. He wouldn’t insult her or blab to other people about her advance -- okay, seduction -- towards him in this dead hour of the night. There was only that one risk of rejection, really. The prize was well worth it.

Funny how, with all the intelligence and common sense in her, Temari could forget about the most dangerous risk of all:

There was still a murderer in the mansion.

She also seemed to forget that, not only the murderer’s identity was still unknown, the man she was pursuing was shrouded in mystery. He was even acknowledged as lethal by her brother Gaara -- a man who found entertainment in spilling blood, who felt no guilt or fear from killing another person.

Sabaku Temari had forgotten all that. And so, she covered herself with the see-through robe matching her nightgown and walked out of her room, quietly smiling to herself at how foolishly audacious she was being and not caring.

----------------------------------------

“…san…”

Wet.

Something was wet.

“…tousan…”

Who said that? It was a child’s voice. Was that him?

Small hands… no,
his hands… red?

“…away… there! Come…”

A woman’s voice. Who?

“…ji… run…”

Who was that? It was a male voice. It sounded… pained?

“RUN!”


“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!”

Neji shot up on his bed, sweating from his dream and disoriented. The sun was shining through the curtains, although he could tell it was very early. Somebody was screaming. And it was coming from… the Wood Room!

Grabbing his robe from the back of a chair, Neji ran out. The screaming hadn’t stopped. It sounded hysterical, panicked. Who could it be? He slowed down to a fast pace as he traveled the hallway, conditioned to never run inside the house, and he could see Shikamaru coming from the opposite direction, also walking fast towards the Wood Room. As he got closer, he saw Hanabi walking just as fast behind Shikamaru and he quickly signaled her to stay back in case of danger.

People were running towards the same direction. Neji knew it was the three police detectives, rushing out of the Guest Wing. He reached his destination the same moment Shikamaru grabbed one handle of the double door.

“Wait!”

Both young men turned around at Sasuke’s voice. All three of the policemen already had their guns out.

“You two, get back! Kakashi, Asuma!”

Shikamaru and Neji stepped back as the three detectives get in to position outside the door. Meanwhile, the door to the Moon Room opened and Hinata peered from inside. Neji promptly barked, “No, Hinata, get back inside. Hanabi, go in there and accompany her. Lock the door.”

Obeying her older brother -- and protecting her older sister -- took precedence over curiosity, so Hanabi hurriedly did what she was told. At the same time, the double door to the Wood Room was opened and three guns were pointed in to the room.

“…AAAAAAHHH!!!”

“Ah, hell,” Asuma sighed as he holstered his gun and rushed towards the figure screaming on the floor. Kakashi kept his gun out as he entered the room and began checking the perimeter.

“Anko-san?” Neji called as he peered in to the room. The young maid was screaming hysterically, eyes wide and locked on a dead body slumped on the table.

“All clear,” Kakashi’s voice came from somewhere inside the room.

“…AAAAAAHHH!!!”

“Asuma, get her out of the room,” Sasuke growled as he examined the body. It was male, still very familiar even with that tongue lolling out, those eyes dead and that pale neck sporting an apparent strangulation mark. That shock of red hair was unmistakable, especially against the skin that had became even more unnaturally white than before.

“Is that…” Shikamaru hesitated as Neji followed his gaze to the table. “Gaara?”

----------------------------------------




Dum dum dum dum!

Muahahahaha!

Ahem, a bit of explanation on those Japanese terms up there. I used them not because they sound cool -- okay, I did, but that’s not the main reason -- but because I don’t know the right English terms for them. My friend said I should add a list of what they are, and I totally agree with her, so here it is:

Daishou: A set of two swords you see a lot in movies, video games, manga, anime, etc, usually consists of a katana (sword) and wakizashi or shoutou (both are shorter swords than katana). Sometimes, there could also be a tantou (an even shorter blade, can also be considered a long knife) in there.

Katana: Come on, you know this one.

Wakizashi: Sword, shorter than katana.

Bokken: Wooden sword, usually used for training although it can also be used to beat up your annoying little brother. I wouldn’t recommend it though.

Shinai: Sword made of bamboos tied together. You’ve probably seen this in anime or manga that has a Kendo scene in it.

Tsuba: That part of the sword that separates the blade and the part you grip, protecting your hand. What is this called in English? I think it’s called “sword guard”, but I’m not entirely sure.

Tsuka: The part of the sword that you grip. I almost called it “handle”, I mean, “sword handle” sounds about as right as “door handle”, but again, I wasn’t entirely sure it wouldn’t make me sound stupid o__O

Nukiuchi: A move where you draw your sword suddenly. I don’t know any better way to describe it. And since it’s a fixed term, you know, a name, I couldn’t just call it “Sudden Draw” or “Instant Unsheathing” or something, right?

Sayabiki: Pulling the scabbard backwards as you draw the sword out. Yeah, this one’s also a fixed term.

Nukitsuke: Slashing an opponent (or two or more, doesn’t matter) in a continuous motion with drawing the sword. Very important in Iaido.

That does it. I am definitely buying a bigger, better dictionary. Preferably with illustrations. And a giant thesaurus. Yeah, definitely.




.
Sign up to rate and review this story