Categories > Movies > Newsies

A Newsie Was Never Lovlier

by ImALittleAcorn21 0 reviews

Jack goes to Dallas where his gambling heart leads him on a rip roaring adventure

Category: Newsies - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Bumlets,Jack Kelly,Kid Blink,Mush,Skittery,Spot Conlon - Published: 2007-10-01 - Updated: 2007-10-01 - 2456 words

0Unrated
Hey, I'm Acorn, I'm new here, though I have an acct on Fanfiction(dot) net and this is by no means my first fic...uh I like reviews though! :)

Cast List (as of October 7, 2006)

Angelica "Angel/ Acorn" Faith Conlon
Age: 21
Boyfriend: Jack "Cowboy" Kelly

Riley "Dodger" Conlon
Age 21 (twin to Angelica)
Boyfriend: Blink

Sean Patrick Oscar Thomas "Spot" Conlon
Age: 19
Girlfriend: Jessica "Ace" Blackburn

Brittany "Spades" Conlon
Age: 17
Boyfriend: Skittery

Christina "Mouse" Lawson
Age: 16
Boyfriend: Bumlets

Aleisha "Media" Burman
Age: 20
Boyfriend: Mush

Michael "Skittery" Goorjian
Age: 17
Girlfriend: Spades

Trey "Kid Blink or Blink " Parker
Age: 21
Girlfriend: Dodger

Dominic "Bumlets" Lucero
Age: 16
Girlfriend: Mouse

Aaron "Mush" Lohr
Age: 21
Girlfriend: Media

Jack "Cowboy" Kelly
Age: 22
Girlfriend: Angelica "Angel/Acorn" Faith Conlon

Jessica "Ace" Blackburn
Age: 18
Boyfriend: Spot Conlon

Sara "Dreamer" Fairview
Age: 16
Boyfriend: Les Jacobs

Les Jacobs
Age: 16
Girlfriend: Sara "Dreamer" Fairview

David "Mouth" Jacobs
Age: 22
Girlfriend: unknown
Dallas, Texas, a large industrial city that was constantly humming with people dashing this way and that, never in one place for long. It was home, a busy home but home nonetheless. My father owned the large prestigious Hotel De Conlon, making the palace-like hotel my playground when I was a young child. Little did I know that this hotel would be the backdrop and the springboard for the rest of my life, for it was there, in that very lobby that I met Jack Kelly. Oh, how terribly rude of me, I haven't told you who "I" am. My name is Angelica Faith Conlon, but to my friends, I'm Angel. I stand at a petite 5'2". I have fair skin, though unlike so many people that you read about in these stories; it is by no means perfect. My hair is naturally brown though recently has been dyed red, everyone who sees it thinks it's natural, they all say it goes with my fiery Irish temper, so it works. My eyes are not ocean blue, green as a forest, or chocolate brown, they are hazel, though it is neat because they change colors with what I wear. You might say that I'm reserved; I'm a bookworm basically. In other words, I'd rather read a book than to be a socialite, as my family demanded of me. When I went missing, they almost always knew where to find me; either in the library or in the lobby, reading a book. Although I am reserved, there have been a few occasions where I have fought with some of the boys in my class for picking on a younger student. The ones who've been unfortunate enough to get on the wrong side of my fists have never forgotten it. I have a soft spot for the underdog. I have three siblings, all younger, Riley (we call her Dodger), Sean Patrick Oscar Thomas Conlon (we call him spot, it's easier), Brittany (we call her spades) she's medium height with curly/wavy brown hair that falls a little past her shoulders. Her eyes are also brown, but a little lighter than her hair. She has a curvy figure but she's also on the slim side. And Christina, or Mouse as we call her, though she's not terribly fond of cheese…but anyway she says she's not a natural beauty. However, this is not to say that she is blindingly ugly. She is a bit shorter than the average person, but not by much. Her hair is dark brown, totally straight, and comes to the middle of her back. It's almost never up, unless it absolutely needs to be. Her eyes are a common hazel color, and are more grayish-green than brown. She's not actually related to us, but she's like family. We hang out a lot, just because she's really cool. Most of my friends are younger than me, I don't know why, but they are.
Then there is my best friend, Aleisha. I've known her practically forever. Aleisha, or Media as I call her; she's my cousin so she mediates for me when I get into a fight. She is 5'3" with mid back length brown hair, green eyes, and slender with toned muscles. The fighting genes must run in our family because she could definitely win in a fight, when she's not trying to stop me. She has a tendency to speak her mind openly, though she's smart enough to know when to keep her mouth shut, and she is sarcastic as the day is long, but it's what makes her unique.
One day while I was sitting in the hotel lobby, my nose, as always, buried in a book and my legs draped over one arm; Mouse came skipping up to me.
"Heya Angel." She said.
"Hey, Mouse, whatcha doin?" I asked half-heartedly.
"Nothing just came to see if you wanted to go shopping with me." That piqued my interest.
"Um…yeah why not. I need a new book anyway." I replied
"Well, you're in luck, that's exactly where I was going."
"Lemme go grab my keys." I said getting up from my chair.
"All right, I'll wait here." She said taking my seat. I took the elevator all the way up to the 26th floor and used my keycard to get in. And as always there was Spot sitting on the bed watching TV. I walked over to the chair where I had thrown my purse, picked it up and started rummaging through it to find my cell phone. After a minute or so of digging, I glanced up at my brother who was eyeing me a little too closely.
"Spot where is my cell phone?" I asked glaring at him.
"Why're ya askin me?" he asked. We were born in New York, and though we moved to Dallas when he was 2 he never quite lost the accent, a fact, which is lost on me because I'm older and I don't have it.
"Because my dear little brother, you were watching me a little too closely just now and I have learned over the years that you cannot be trusted."
"Little bruddah?" he asked drawing himself up to his full height…a whopping 6" taller than me.
"I'm older"
"But I'm taller"
"So, I can still pin you down."
"Whatevah" he mocked. I quickly reached out and dug my fingernail into the base of his neck and watched him slowly sink to the ground. Once there I let go and pounced pinning him to the floor.
"Yeah, I can…now where's my phone."
"Mumph luingiu"
"Oh you probably want to breathe now don’t you?" I asked in a sickeningly sweet voice as I got off of him.
"Ya tink?"
"Where is it?"
"Heah," he said disgustedly pulling it out of his pocket.
"Thank you" I replied dialing my house.
"Hello?" my mom answered.
"Hey mom, is it all right if I go to the mall with Mouse?"
"Um…yeah take Spot with you though."
"Why do I have to take the weasel?"
"Because your father is already home and he can't. And don't call your brother a weasel."
"ARGH. Fine, I'll call you before we leave."
"Bye Sweetie"
"Bye mom" I said hanging up. "Spot grab your stuff we're leaving."
"What?"
"I said, grab-your-stuff, -we-are-leaving."
"I hoid ya, why?"
"Because Mouse and I are going to the mall and I can't leave with out you!"
"But I don't wanna go ta da mall with ya."
"I don’t really give a flying crap if you want to go with us or not, but mom said I had to other wise you'll be stuck here without a ride home. I'm leaving in ten minutes be ready to go."
"Fine." He said turning off the TV and walking out the door. We went back down to the lobby where I had left Mouse. We saw Mouse, but she had gained two people, I narrowed my eyes so I could see who it was. It looked like my cousin, Media and her boyfriend Mush.
"Heya Leish." Spot called.
"Heya Spot. Hey Acorn."
"Hola, como estas?"
"I'm fine. What are you guys up to?"
"Oh you know, going to the mall, lugging the kid around, and generally annoying the public."
"Ah, interesting, mind if we tag along?" Media asked.
"Um, not if you guys wanna squeeze into my car."
"I'm not sittin in da middle." Spot protested.
"Well, figure something out on the way out." I said walking towards the door.
"I CALL SHOTGUN!" Mouse yelled running to the door.
"ARGH!!!" Spot yelled.
"He he" I laughed.
"I don't wanna be stuck in da back."
"Tough"
"Why can't I have shotgun?"
"Because Mouse already called it."
"So?"
"So Spot, you know the rules of my car. The first to call shotgun gets it, the rest have to squeeze into the back."
"I don’t wanna squeeze into da back of ya little bug!" he spat.
"Don't talk about Purity that way!" I said.
"Why not, dat's what she is!"
"Take it back!" I said raising my fist prepared to deck the living daylights outta him.
"Children" Media said in a warning tone.
"Yes?" Spot and I answered.
"Stop fighting."
"Do we hafta?" Spot whined.
"Yes, and to work out the seating arrangement to prevent anymore fights, Spot, you and Mush will sit in the backseat with me and I will take the middle that way you two can spread out."
"Fine" Spot sighed.
"Thank you" I mouthed to Media.
"You're welcome," she mouthed back. And with that we all climbed into Purity, my 2001 White VW Beetle. I loved my car.
Half an hour later we arrived at the mall, only to find the hectic Christmas traffic really irritating, especially in the already hectic Dallas traffic. Then after searching for a parking space for the next 20 minutes we gave up and decided to go home. Spending even more time in traffic was just what I wanted to do, not. I dropped Media and Mush off at Media's house, before calling home to let the parents know we were coming home.
"Hello?" mom answered yet again.
"Hey, it's me…we're comin home, Mouse is comin too."
"Ok, your dad invited someone over for dinner without giving me enough warning to make something good so we're having pizza for dinner what do you three want on it?"
"Uh, hold on, lemme ask. Spot Mouse whaddya want on your pizza?"
"Canadian Bacon"
"Pineapple"
"Well, I'm getting Canadian bacon and Pineapple from these two, and Cheese is fine with me."
"Ok, I'll order it then."
"Who's coming over?"
"Oh someone who works at the hotel."
"Ok, bye"
"Bye sweetie."
"What's going on?" Mouse asked.
"Dad invited someone over and so mom's ordering pizza."
"Sweet, no dishes!" Spot sang gleefully, he hated dish duty, and it was his week. I laughed at his antics; no matter how much we fought I loved my family.
I pulled into the driveway a short time later to see my other sister, Spades playing poker on the porch with her boyfriend Skittery.
"Heya Skits." Spot said as he wormed out of the backseat of my car.
"Heya Spot, heya Angel." Skittery also hailed from New York and still had not lost the accent.
"Hey Skittery and Spades" I replied.
"What took you so long?" she asked.
"Oh you know normal Christmas traffic."
"You went to the mall, and didn't tell me?" She said turning her brown eyes up at me.
"Even if we had there wouldn't have been any room. Media and Mush went to."
"Media went too?"
"Yeah, and Mush."
"Who's Media?" Skittery asked.
"Our cousin, Aleisha, you've met her before."
"I have?"
"Yes, you have." Brittany replied.
"Try not to beat him too badly." I said smiling as I walked into the house.
"Angelica is that you?" My dad called from the family room.
"Yeah it's me!" I called back before bounding up the stairs to my room. I opened the door to the sunny yellow that my room was decorated in and sighed contentedly. I needed the happiness, especially in the cloudy Texas "winters". I lay down on my bed and started doing my homework; I had to start earlier than everyone else due to the fact that I was taking classes at a local university. I was about halfway done when someone started knocking on my door.
"Come in!" I yelled through the door, which opened to reveal Mouse standing there.
"Hey Angel"
"Hey Mouse, what's up?"
"Oh, nothing just thought I'd see where you had slunk off to."
"Homework."
"Ah, hard?"
"Not really, just boring; but it's time for a study break, so do ya wanna go downstairs and see if we can beat my sister at poker?"
"Sure, although I think the odds are slightly in her favor."
"The fighter gene runs in the family, I have no idea why the poker one doesn't." I laughed. We walked downstairs to join my siblings on the porch in their game of poker. I opened the door and without looking walked through the opening only to run into a very hard set of ribs.
"Oomph" I muttered landing on my butt in the entryway.
"Sorry dere Angel." Said a voice. I looked up to see Blink standing in our door.
"Hey Blink, how goes it?" I asked standing to my feet and brushing invisible dirt off of my jeans.
"It goes, it goes."
"Bueno, would you like to come in?"
"Yeah, I have a meetin wit ya faddah."
"Oh, well, he's in the family room." I said pointing down the hall.
"Tanks."
"No prob!" I said, and then waiting until he was out of earshot before rubbing my nose, "Ow, that hurt."
"Yeah, I bet it didn’t' feel good." Mouse commented. We walked outside and sat down with Skits, Spades, and Spot, I was still rubbing my nose.
"What happened ta you?" Spot asked.
"Let's just say my nose had a little run in with Blink's ribs."
"Hahahahaha" laughed Skittery. "Ahem"
"Yeah ya better ahem." I mumbled.
"Why are you in such a bad mood today?" Spades asked me.
"I don't know…I'm just tired I guess."
We sat around for a while playing cards, none of us being able to beat Spades, the only other person I knew who had ever beaten her at cards was Racetrack Higgins, and that was a very long time ago. But we played until sundown when the air turned chilly, then the pizza came and we all went inside to eat. Just an average day in my life; unfortunately average has a way of slinking off into the distance putting abnormal in it's place and not telling you until you've made an idiot out of yourself, as I would soon find out.
Sign up to rate and review this story