Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Alchemical Reactions

Hogwarts

by MirrorBehindTheWall 3 reviews

Harry finally arrives at Hogwarts and is quite daring...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Dumbledore,Fred,George,Harry,Neville,Snape - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-10-27 - Updated: 2007-10-27 - 3716 words

0Original
Disclaimer: JK Rowling appeared on tour in Toronto (the area I live in—1 in 4 million people) a few days ago. At the time was I was in school. Unless I can be at two places at once, I highly doubt that I’m JKR…therefore it is impossible that I own Harry Potter. So no suing!
Alchemical Reactions
Chapter Ten
Hogwarts


“Mr. Flamel?” called a voice from behind Harry. He was standing at Platform Nine and Three Quarters at King’s Cross station, waiting his escort to Hogwarts. He had been told that they would take the Sunday train together, as he was not allowed to ride the train to Hogsmeade alone. The train had already pulled up in the station, and was just waiting for the clock to turn to eleven to leave.

“Yes?” Harry asked cautiously, turning around. A tall man, with dark hair, sallow skin, and wearing a black cloak greeted him.

“I am the Potions Professor and Head of Slytherin at Hogwarts. You may call me Professor Snape,” he said, barely adding any inflection into his voice.

Harry nodded, and followed as the man lead him to the train, boarding behind his sweeping cloak. Professor Snape led him to a compartment and told him to store his trunk under the seat before sitting down across from Harry.

The two of them stared at each other for a few moments as they waited the train moving. Harry counted down the seconds on his Muggle analog watch, noting that the train began moving the second the minute hand turned to twelve and the hour hand lay completely on the eleven. Looking up from his watch, Harry raised the level of his Magic Sight to gauge Snape’s power levels—something that was always good to know about ally or enemy—and found them to be above average, though nowhere near what Nicholas Flamel’s had been. If Hogwarts employed professors with such power levels, it was a good sign. It meant that the Headmaster had some idea what he was doing, despite Nicholas having warned Harry off of him.

He noticed Snape staring right back at him, probably at his hair. Harry had figured it would probably be the easiest to change, but had messed up a tad on the colour. He had been planning to bleach it blonde, but had accidentally turned half of his head white, much to his consternation. If he hadn’t done it just this morning before arriving at King’s Cross, he would have changed it back and figured out what had gone wrong. As it was, it at least made him look different.

“It’s a Muggle style,” he said shortly, hoping the man wouldn’t see past the fact that it was a lie. Most wizards didn’t tend to know too much about Muggle life. “Is it acceptable for Hogwarts?” he asked, lending a bit of sarcasm to his voice.

“I suppose,” Snape replied slowly, doing all he could to not snort in disgust. “I’ll be sure to let the Muggle Studies Professor know that he has such an…/expert/ at hand.”

Harry didn’t rise to the bait. “Thank you, sir,” he replied shortly.

The professor sighed, momentarily losing his mask of indifference. “I suppose I should be telling you what the rules at Hogwarts are and what you will be doing for the remainder of the term.”

Harry inclined his head, waiting for the man to continue. He figured he’d be doing something like standardized testing in all the subjects taught at Hogwarts, and he wasn’t wrong.

“For starters, you’ll be spending the last few weeks of term being tested in a wide variety of subjects—likely every one that Hogwarts offers. You may set the level, and if you pass, you will be entered into that class. If you have misjudged, we will continue testing you until we know which year level we should enter you in. You are a very complicated case, Mr. Flamel, and it is very rare that we get home schooled students arriving at Hogwarts in the middle of their education, let alone ones with a Journeyman status in Alchemy.”

Harry raised his eyebrows in surprise. “You know about that, sir?”

“Ministry records,” was the short reply, before he continued on. “Despite your special…/circumstances,/” he sneered, “You’ll be expected to follow the rules of Hogwarts. No magic in the hallways, respecting others privacy and property, prohibition of entry into the Forbidden Forest, and other similar restrictions. I’ll leave you with the handbook for the latter half of the journey.”

Harry nodded. “That’s acceptable sir,” he said calmly, despite his vague annoyance with the Professor in front of him. Trust Dumbledore to send a borderline rude wizard to greet their newest student.

“While you are at Hogwarts for the latter half of the term, however, you will be expected to obey different rules. For one, you will not be eating with the students. We will be assigning you rooms in the guest tower for the duration of your stay, as you are only at the school for assessment and not officially enrolled as of yet. If you do come in contact with students, you are not to interrupt their studies for their exams. You are to involve yourself in student life to a minimum. You are not to wander the corridors at night. You are to follow the schedule that I will be giving you when we arrive at the school. Is that clear?”

“Yes,” Harry replied, nodding his agreement.

“Another thing. You are to address all teachers as ‘sir’ or ‘ma’am’ or ‘professor,’” Snape sneered again.

“Yes, /sir/,” Harry replied, resisting the urge to glare.

“Good,” the professor said, before pulling a book out of his cloak and settling down to read. “You may amuse yourself, but do not interrupt me.”

Harry nodded before reaching into his trunk to grab a book for himself, this one titled /Potions and Chemistry: Can a Muggle work Magic? /He chose it partially because he was already in the middle of the book and also because he wanted to get a rise out of this professor, who appeared to look down on him. The man himself was reading a book entitled /Gold Cauldron: Augmenting Your Potions, /which was surely filled with enough jargon that only a Potions master would understand its contents.

Unfortunately for Harry, the professor didn’t react to Harry’s book until halfway through the ride. In fact, he spent more time studying the boy than actually reading his own book, choosing to ignore Harry’s reading choice until it became obvious that he was staring. Snape found himself questioning Harold Flamel’s origins more than anything. Something about the boy was disgustingly familiar, such that it left a bad taste in his mouth. He physically reminded him of someone…he just wasn’t sure who/. Of course, that was eliminating the variable of the boy’s hair…what a disaster. Shoulder length and tied back with a leather tie, it was split down the scalp evenly black and white. A ‘Muggle thing’ my arse, Snape thought to himself. /The boy lied. He did it on purpose to gain more attention than deserved, to make a statement. Interesting way to go about it, though…I believe he’s the first student to dare, except for Nymphadora Tonks, but even she kept it relatively subdued when in classes…Next year will definitely be interesting.

Thankfully, Harry was unaware of Snape’s thoughts towards him as the Professor continued his musings about the strange boy. He’s probably quite proficient in potions, to already have a Journeyman’s in Alchemy. There needs to be at least an O.W.L. level knowledge of potions to even attempt the beginner’s exam. I have a feeling that I’ll have to hunt down some extra work for him…What a bother.

“Interesting book,” Snape finally commented snidely, about halfway through the journey.

“Thank you, sir,” Harry said without looking up.

“Do you honestly believe that Muggles can make potions?” Snape challenged, testing the beliefs of his soon-to-be best student.

“Can squibs?” Harry countered.

“/Sir,/” emphasized the professor, before continuing. “It’s been theorized that they can, but only to a certain point.”

“Just theorized? Has no one tested it, /sir/?”

“There have been studies conducted, but most are unreliable. Squibs tend to vary in talent—some can actually do some of the less wand-oriented magics, such as divination, herbology, or even potions. But at the same time, many others can’t do a thing. Something to do with the magic they’re exposed to as babies…”

“But in theory, Squibs with some talent /can /create potions, so why can’t Muggles? Perhaps gathering many of the ingredients themselves would be an issue, but making the potion? There’s no wand-waving in potion making,” Harry replied, surprising Snape with his intelligence. He had even unconsciously mimicked Snape’s ‘first year’ speech, which he gave every year to terrify first years.

The two of them continued an in-depth conversation regarding potions and then branching off for the rest of the journey. The only interruption was when a lady carting food around came by, asking if they wanted lunch. Harry grabbed a snack or too, then continued his conversation with the Professor, who had a surprisingly quick mind. What both had thought would be a boring train ride turned into one that passed by quickly, fuelled by their mutual interest in potions.

**
________________________________________
“His Journeyman’s in Alchemy…” Dumbledore muttered to himself, after Snape had finished giving his report.

“Also very knowledgeable in Potions,” Snape added. “At least N.E.W.T. level.”

Dumbledore hummed to himself, obviously contemplating the prodigy in their hands. “You said he died his hair rather oddly?”

Snape nodded. “Probably knows we can’t expel him, at least not with the parchment the Ministry had him sign.”

“Any idea what house he’ll end up in?”

“Ravenclaw or Slytherin,” Snape replied promptly. “Probably more of the latter…Slytherins tend to be more rebellious than Ravenclaws.”

Dumbledore’s expression darkened. “For Voldemort, then?”

Snape shook his head, mentally frustrated that everyone seemed to assume that Slytherin meant being pro Voldemort. “I don’t think so. He was arguing for Muggles when we were discussing if Muggles could create potions. And do you honestly think the Flamels would have put up with the Dark Lord’s ‘blood purity’ bit in their home?”

“True. How upset did he seem, about their death?”

Snape shrugged. “He either hides his emotions really well or he feels nothing. We didn’t really bring it up, but he didn’t appear to be too upset. More distant than anything.”

Dumbledore nodded, more to himself than anything. “Do you have his list of requested test levels?”

Snape handed the previously forgotten piece of parchment to the Headmaster, who raised his eyebrows as he read it, surprised.

Ancient Runes—Graduate level
Arithmancy—7th year level
Astronomy—4th year level
Care of Magical Creatures—4th year level
Charms—7th year level
Defence Against the Dark Arts—Graduate level
Divination—not studied
Herbology—5th year level
History of Magic—5th year level
Muggle Studies—Graduate level
Potions—Graduate level
Transfiguration—6th year level

“Does he really feel that confidently?” he asked, astounded at the sheer amount of knowledge one fourteen-year-old believed he possessed.

“Yes, I believe so,” Snape smirked. “Wasn’t too cocky about it either.”

“If I didn’t know you better, Severus, I’d say you actually like the boy,” Dumbledore commented.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Snape replied, scowling. Dumbledore just gave him a knowing look, before returning to his contemplation of Harold Flamel.

After several minutes of silence, in which Snape barely resisted the urge to get up and leave Headmaster’s office, Dumbledore broke the silence. “Let him go the Great Hall for meals.”

“Albus?” Snape asked, questioningly.

“I’m sure, Severus. He’ll have to interact with them at some point.”

“But where will he sit?”

“Wherever he wishes,” Dumbledore replied, eyes twinkling. “This will be rather interesting, will it not?”

Snape merely scowled as a response.

**
________________________________________
Unbeknownst to him, Harry mirrored Snape’s exact response when a House-Elf popped into the quarters he’d been given to inform him that he’d be joining the students for meals. He didn’t really want to associate himself with the students just yet, happy enough to explore the castle on his own. This definitely ruined his plans of using meal times to create a map of the castle.

He sulked for a few minutes, before pulling on some robes and schooling his face into an expressionless mask. He knew dinner was going on right now. If he was going to be forced to attend meals, he might as well make an entrance. Harry kindly asked the House-Elf who had delivered the message to lead him down to the Great Hall, and the little creature was happy to do so.

Arriving at the Great Hall doors, Harry thanked the House-Elf before straightening his robes. Inwardly sighing, he braced himself for stares as he pushed open one of the doors. The heavy wooden door, charmed to swing all the way open at a single touch, announced his entrance more than Dumbledore could have. Cursing the man, but outwardly showing no emotion, he looked around the room to see if anyone he knew was present…and a place to sit. Not quite knowing what to do, he stood there and attempted to look as minimally awkward as possible.

Dumbledore rose from his seat, spreading his arms wide in a gesture of welcome. “Mr. Flamel, welcome. Students, Mr. Flamel is here to be assessed on his current knowledge so that he will be able to join you next term here at Hogwarts. Please, welcome him,” Dumbledore said smiling. Turning to Harry, he added, “As you have not yet been sorted, you may sit wherever you chose.”

Harry looked around the room, encountering many curious faces at each of the four long tables. He had heard of these from letters from the few people he knew at Hogwarts and knew that sitting at one would declare his affiliation almost indefinitely. Instead, he directed his gaze towards the head table, and made his choice.

Walking calmly between the Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw tables, Harry made his way to the front of the Great Hall, waving a small hello to Luna Lovegood as he did so. He then turned left, heading along the top of the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor tables (saying a quick hello to the Weasley twins in the process) and making his way around the side to the staff table.

“Here’s a good a spot as any,” he announced, and the table itself expanded and put another chair in place for him. Smiling, he sat down next to one of the professors and began helping himself to mashed potatoes.

The hall broke out into whisperings, with small cheer coming from the Weasley twins. “You owe me five galleons!” he heard one of the twins announce loudly to a friend, and snickered inwardly.

Chancing a glance at Dumbledore’s face, Harry caught a small frown forming before it turned into a smile of welcome. “A sense of humour, I see,” he said, smiling genially. “You’re welcome to sit here for tonight, but starting tomorrow please find seating among the students.”

Harry nodded his consent, before returning to his plate. The professor beside him, a rather short fellow, was beaming at him. “Simply marvellous,” he said. “I don’t think anyone’s surprised the Headmaster that much in years!”

Harry swallowed the mouthful of food he had put in his mouth and smiled in reply. “I thought it’d make things more interesting, professor.”

“Oh, that’s right! I’m professor Flitwick, Charms Professor and Head of Ravenclaw House,” he said happily. “You must be the home schooled protégée! I’m quite excited to see what you can do.”

“Thank you, sir,” Harry replied.

“Very smart of you to choose not sit at any of the House tables, I must say,” Flitwick added, nodding. “Most unfortunately, many of the students can be quite prejudiced, even my own Ravenclaws.”

“I figured as much, sir,” Harry replied, nodding and taking a sip of his pumpkin juice. He was mentally wishing that he could add orange juice to it, but supposed it would have to do. “I happen to know a few of the students here and from what they’ve said I’ve gathered that the Houses tend not to interact with each other.”

The little professor nodded gravely. “Yes, I must say it is one of the school’s biggest faults,” he said looking sad, before changing the topic. “So, which students do you already know?”

Harry and the Professor continued their conversation throughout the rest of the meal, leading onto the subject of Charms before long. Professor Flitwick was genuinely pleased with Harry’s knowledge and conversational abilities, and said so, remarking that he was unusually mature for his age.

By the end of dinner, Harry found himself not minding having being forced to enter the Great Hall too much. He’d made his statement and his attitude known, as well as his tendency to take things literally to the point of mischief. Overall, it had proved to be a very interesting meal, one that would hopefully allow him to lower the House boundaries to converse with /everyone/. He’d begin with the Slytherins tomorrow.

Leaving the Great Hall, he was cornered by Fred and George Weasley, closely followed by Ron and Neville. Luna also stopped her exit from the Great Hall to say hello.

“How come you didn’t tell us you’d be coming to Hogwarts?” one of them—possible Fred—asked. Harry didn’t want to raise his Mage Sight to check, as even at that low level the magic of Hogwarts was unbearably bright to his eyes.

“And dyed your hair!” George added.

“Or is that a glamour?” Fred asked picking up a strand of the white hair. Harry brushed his hand away, mock-glaring.

“I had an accident while dying it,” he replied.

“I’ll say,” sniggered Ron. Harry glared at him and he shut up. Ron turned to Fred and George, adding, “Anyways, I’m off to cram in some more studying before bed. Night guys,” he said to them all, and left, waving.

“The Tree Undines spoke to you, didn’t they?” Luna asked. Harry looked at her oddly, before nodding slowly. Beside him Fred and George were sporting identical grins and Neville was stifling a laugh. “I can see it in your eyes,” she nodded, before also leaving.

“Er…bye Luna!” Harry called after her. “Is it just me or did she get a bit more…let’s say distracted since I’ve last seen her?” he asked Neville.

The boy shrugged, trying not to laugh. “She’s been like that for a while now. I haven’t really noticed. Anyways, what are you doing here?”

“Well the Ministry is kind of forcing me to be here…” Harry began.

“What?” one twin exclaimed.

“Can’t the Flamels stop them?” the other asked.

Neville looked at Harry’s expression, which had momentarily hardened. “I’m sorry, mate,” he said, patting him on the shoulder. He turned to the twins. “The only reason Harry would be here is if the Flamels weren’t around any longer, you idiots.”

The twins shared a glance. “Sorry about that, Harry,” one of the twins, possibly George, said.

“Yeah, didn’t mean to be insensitive,” Fred added.

Harry snorted in derision. “Very funny, you two. ‘Didn’t mean to be insensitive’ my arse.”

“Well, didn’t mean to be insensitive about/ that/,” George amended.

His twin changed the topic. “Brilliant stunt at dinner!”

“Yeah, got us five galleons from Lee for that!” George added.

“I heard,” Harry commented dryly. “Nice to know you’re earning money from me.”

Neville laughed and continued to do so as the twins grabbed both of and began dragging him in the direction of Gryffindor Tower. “C’mon, let’s show Harry the Gryffindor commons!” Fred yelled back to Neville, who hurried to catch up.

“I can walk on my own, guys,” Harry said, shaking himself loose.

“Yeah, but it’s more fun for us this way!” Fred said, grinning and grabbing Harry’s arm again. His twin mirrored his action and Harry sighed, resigned to being dragged.

“Besides, you probably won’t get to see them again,” George added. When Harry looked from either twin to Neville, who had caught up and was at Fred’s side, in puzzlement, he was greeted with an assessment of his character.

“You’re definitely a Ravenclaw, mate,”

“So we’re letting you have this last bit of fun before you go off to rule-breaking prison.”

“He could be a Slytherin, you know,” Neville added.

Mock gasps of horror issued from Fred and George’s mouths. “Never!” said one.

Neville began arguing with him, however. “It would be like Harry, though, wouldn’t it? Rebelling against the standard, that is.”

“I did hear that Slytherin parties/ are/ wicked,” Fred conceded.

“He’ll just have to invite us then!” George added, grinning.

“I’m right here, you know,” Harry commented, more amused than annoyed.

“We know,” grinned Fred, before leading him to meet the Gryffindors.
**

Author’s Note:/ And that was Chapter Ten! I hope I didn’t ruin Snape, though he might have been a bit bland at first…remember, he’s not dealing with “Harry Potter” here, just some relatively unknown student that knows a hell of a lot about potions. Also, about the whole hair thing... it was a complete accident when I was writing it...but I felt like having Harry looking a bit rebellious. He's not going into this wanting to, after all. Next chapter will be out as soon as possible…I hope. Life is hectic, as per abnormal. Hopefully, it will settle down soon enough. Anyways, hope you all liked the chapter! R&R!/
Sign up to rate and review this story