Categories > Comics > Fables > Beneath the Surface

Outsides

by Mollyscribbles 0 reviews

A series of introspective ficlets on Snow White.

Category: Fables - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Published: 2006-01-10 - Updated: 2006-01-10 - 221 words

1Insightful
Snow White had spent the last few years living, if not happily, then in a reasonably content manner, in the castle.

"Mirror, Mirror"

She had no real issues with her stepmother, oddly enough. Her mother's death was still a sad memory, and while she certainly hadn't grown close to her father's new wife, they got along well enough.

"On the wall"

Between the daily duties of a queen and Snow's regular training to be a proper princess, they were both kept busy enough that encounters were about as rare as with any other resident in the castle.

"Who is the fairest"

But children grow up, and Snow was growing more beautiful by the day. This was often on the Queen's mind, as she asked her mirror the same question each day.

"Of them all."

The Queen was a true beauty in her own right, by any observer. She married the King in the prime of her life, and while none had ever attempted to tell her she was less than that, she feared losing her beauty more than anything else.

"You, my queen."

For another day, the answer satisfied her and she relaxed. But still she would watch her stepdaughter with fear. One day, there would be a different answer. On that day? She would deal with it when it came.
Sign up to rate and review this story