Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Secret Lives Of Potions Masters

Out Of The Frying Pan

by Emlyn2 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2007-11-16 - Updated: 2007-11-17 - 1027 words

-1Cliche
(Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, nor anything contained within these pages, no infringement is intended)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"But why does it have to be me?" Hermione asked her friends mournfully as they made their way down to the hospital wing. "You sounded a bit like Neville there, Mione." Ron put forth, in an attempt to lighten the mood. In response Hermione threw him an arch look. "Because," said Harry, "Professor Dumbledore trusts you." "Because," Ron interrupted, "you know about the Order," Ron caught Hermione’s eye, "and Snape," he reminded. The trio paused on the landing and waited for the stairs to shift in their direction. "Because," continued Harry, "your parents are muggles and you should be able to blend in where you’re sent." "Wherever it is," Ron added. "What do my parents have to do with anything?" Hermione questioned. "Think about it, Mione," Harry answered, "Dumbledore specifically said not to wear your uniform … because it would stand out." "And," Hermione reasoned, "the only place a Hogwarts uniform would look out of place is in the non-magic world." The stairs moved into place, and Hermione, Ron and Harry continued walking.

"It could be anywhere," said Ron, "just think, Mione, if it takes a while, you might get to skip some of your classes." At these words Harry began to shake his head emphatically, silently mouthing ‘No, No’ repeatedly trying to get Ron’s attention and stop him from going down that path. Hermione snapped out of her daze. "Oh god, Ron you’re right," Hermione exclaimed, "I might be gone for days, even weeks. I’m going to fall behind." "What if you learn something really advanced while I’m gone? I’ll never catch up," Hermione wailed. "Breathe, Hermione, just breathe," said Harry rubbing her back, trying to calm her down. "Nice one, mate," Harry said to Ron. "Well most people would think it was a good thing," Ron replied petulantly. Harry just rolled his eyes.

By now, Hermione was feeling very out of sorts, feeling hungry on top of everything probably wasn’t helping. Hermione had missed dinner in the great hall today, electing instead to work ahead for her Arithmancy class. Which is why, a few hours later, she ended up on her way down to the kitchens where she stumbled over … Hermione slowed, shuddering visibly. "Mione," Harry asked, "what is it?" "It’s just that image," Hermione replied, "seeing him, lying there … broken, helpless. I don’t think I can ever forget it." "Well," Ron said, "I for one think it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person, ‘cept maybe Malfoy." "Ronald Weasley," Hermione said, placing her hand on his arm and pulling so they were face to face, "don’t say that, ever. You didn’t see him," she continued walking, "you can’t know."

The lamps on the walls began to dim, and the occupants of the paintings they passed readied themselves for bed. "What was Snape doing there anyway?" Ron grumbled. "Shush!" said a painting as the passed. "Sorry, ma’m," said Harry giving Ron a look. Ron, looking sheepish, continued in a quieter tone, "I mean, is there some wild animal running lose in the school?" Ron was suddenly struck by a horrifying thought, "Say, you don’t think Hagrid had something to do with it, Malfoy’ll have a field day if he did." "I don’t think so," Hermione said slowly, forcing herself to think back and remember, "there wasn’t that much blood, not on the floor, and there wasn’t any damage to the hallway, just to Professor Snape." Ron spoke while shrugging his shoulders, "Hagrid’s in the clear then." "Voldemort," announced Harry, "Snape must have been on an errand or something for Voldemort, and this was the result." "Poor bastard," said Ron.

As they reached the infirmary door, Hermione said, in a small voice, "I don’t want to go. What if something happens while I’m gone?" Tears began to form in her eyes, "If something happened to you both and I wasn’t there …" she trailed off, crying openly. "Shhh, Mione, shhhh," Harry said, taking Hermione in a gentle hug, gesturing for Ron to do the same; which he did, albeit awkwardly, hugging both Hermione and Harry at the same time. "Shhh, " Harry continued, " nothing’s going to happen, Mione, I promise. Ron and I both promise, we’ll be safe, and so will you." "Besides," said Ron, breaking the hug, "you’ll probably be back by tomorrow, forget what I said, Professor Dumbledore knows how important your classes are to you," he said teasingly, with a smile. "Oh, Ron." Hermione said sniffing slightly as she smacked him lightly on the shoulder, tears forgotten for the moment.

The door opened behind them and, looking worn, Professor Dumbledore stepped through, closing it gently behind him. "Ah, Miss Granger, Hermione," Professor Dumbledore said, "come, we have much to discuss. Good evening, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley." With a hand resting on her shoulder, Professor Dumbledore steered Hermione down the hallway, away from Harry, Ron, and any other prying ears who happened to be nearby. "You get the feeling he didn’t want us to know about this?" Ron asked, gesturing towards the retreating figures. He continued unanswered, "I feel a bit left out." Hermione glanced over her shoulder at Ron and Harry as she and Professor Dumbledore turned a corner, and, with a quick wave from Harry, they vanished from her sight.

"Hey," said Ron hopefully, another idea having taken hold, "do you think if Mione’s responsible for saving Snape’s life, he’ll stop taking points off Gryffindor? That would be bloody brilliant." "That’ll be the day, Ron," said Harry. With a swift glance at the closed door behind them, the boys began to make their way back to the Gryffindor common, praying they would not encounter Mrs. Norris on their way. "Well," continued Ron, "it’s worth a try isn’t it?" Smiling outwardly at the antics of his friend, Harry said, "Come on Ron," deep inside though, Harry was worried, and not just about Hermione.
Sign up to rate and review this story