Categories > Anime/Manga > Digimon

Soliloquy

by heartspocky 0 reviews

(Ken's POV) All through the time when Hikari and Takeru were dating, Daisuke would turn to me and say, "That should have been me."

Category: Digimon - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Ken - Published: 2007-11-24 - Updated: 2007-11-25 - 548 words - Complete

0Unrated
All through the time when Hikari and Takeru were dating, Daisuke would turn to me and say, "That should have been me." It was plain to see how he felt for Hikari. Everyone knew-- even the girl herself. Whether she knew the extent of his longing and ignored it, or if she thought it was all a game he was playing, I'll never know. I don't think she'd hurt him on purpose. But maybe she would… girls can be a mystery sometimes.

The day Hikari cheerfully announced that she and Takeru were "official", Daisuke was clearly devastated. He smiled and gave a thumbs up and told them to "have fun". He made some cracks about how someday, Hikari would be his. Most everyone laughed it off.

I could see through that. I was his best friend. It was obvious he was not kidding around.

Almost every day, Hikari and Takeru would show up at the computer room, or to the mall, or anywhere else, smiling and laughing with each other at secret jokes that no one else understood. I would hear about it the same evening, when Daisuke would call.

"What the hell?" He'd ask. "How come no matter what I do, she never sees me? That should be me!" And I'd agree with him, but point out that Hikari is happy. That he may want to consider her happiness. That that would truly be the most loving thing to do. He'd grumble a response, say something about me being a know-it-all, and hang up. I would wonder why, no matter what, he would never see me. When Wormmon would ask me what was wrong, I would tell him I was concerned about school.

"Why?" He'd ask, ever-depending, ever-loving. "Ken, you're so smart. You have nothing to worry about." I would pull the covers over my head and go to sleep without uttering another word. I would think about it until I fell asleep.

A few weeks after Hikari and Takeru's one-month anniversary, a new girl came to Daisuke's school. She was from the States. I believe they met through soccer, and Daisuke wouldn't stop talking about her.

She was pretty. She was funny. She was smart. She was outgoing. She was a fantastic soccer player. I asked him if he would consider dating her, and he responded with, "And give up on Hikari? Never!"

A week after, she asked him out.

He said yes. The phone calls decreased--quite significantly. He began spending more time with her. I suppose that's good. He was getting lonely by himself. True, he had V-mon, but there is a huge difference between a friend, a lover, and your Digimon partner.

Now when we go to the mall, it's the Chosen Children plus her. I see the way she talks to Daisuke, how they laugh and smile together at their own secret jokes. How he runs his fingers through her hair, and she laughs and playfully swats at him when he reaches over to hug her. They've lasted longer than Hikari and Takeru. Even the children of hope and light drifted apart. But not them. They're in love. I should be happy. Daisuke's happiness before mine. Most loving thing.

But no matter what, all I can think is: it should have been me.
Sign up to rate and review this story