Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > I Only Think In The Form Of Crunching Numbers___x

Chapter 5: I Guess I’m My Own Better Half

by VikkiMole 3 reviews

‘Did I order the skank?’ I ask, perfectly serious Taylor looked passed me and into my office where she saw Ash and chuckled.

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2007-11-28 - Updated: 2007-11-28 - 1320 words

0Unrated
The rest of the working morning I spent thanking god that I have yet to be fired. Mr. Scott did however have me working my ass off for sassing him earlier. I had to take the first file up to floor sixteen then take the second file down to floor four and blah blah blah. My feet hurt, my hair was a mess and I was generally aggravated by the fact that I spent ten minutes of my break arguing with Gerard, our editor, that ninjas are so much better than pirates. It’s a fact. Get over it.

Just as I was about to leave for my lunch break Frank hands me a story that he’d had since ten this morning but just forgot to give to me. Another superstar had gotten too big for their boots and ended up in rehab again. This, apparently, was such an important and gripping tale that it had to be looked at and run this very instant. So, grumbling to myself, I snatch the file from his hands, causing that smug grin to fall off of his face, and storm back into my room.

By the time I had actually finished I had already missed half of my lunch break. In a shitty ass mood, I thunder out of my office and towards the general direction of Starbucks. Yes, as you can probably already tell, I have an unhealthy obsession with coffee. I don’t smoke. I don’t drink. I don’t do drugs. I drink coffee. Not bothering to take the orders of everyone else on the floor I leave, with only my own order in mind. I walk along the main street outside the building and look over to where Patrick was this morning. Sure enough, he was still there, but now Joe was with him too.

I shrug and quickly go into Starbucks to fetch three lattes. No, not all for myself. One for me, One for Trick and One for Joe. Balancing the three cups in the holder in my arms I stomp over to the two friends who were now sat on the sidewalk. I instantly noticed that for once Patrick looked almost as miserable as me.

‘Hey…?’ I say cautiously, nodding at Joe

‘Hey Pete’ Joe grins and waves, though I’m stood within two feet of him.

‘Hi…’ Patrick mumbles at shoes, not even bothering to look up

I scratch my head.

‘I…Uh… Come bearing gifts’ I handed Joe a cup and placed another at Trick’s feet.

‘Thank you’ Joe replied, politely, carefully holding the hot coffee.

‘Thanks…’ Patrick mumbled again, still refusing to look up.

Creeping over to Patrick’s side I slowly sit next to him and study him closer. His eyes were red and puffy as if he’d been crying. Pain danced in his irises. I could sense he was really troubled. I put my arm around him, trying to comfort him.

‘What’s up Trick?’ I ask, concerned

Patrick sighed and finally looked up and directly into my eyes. A tear ran down his cheek and I wiped it away with my thumb.

‘I’m… on the verge… of getting... evicted…’ He sniffled, looking away, ‘They’re… kicking me out…’

‘Oh, Patrick, man…’ I pull him close to me, ‘There’s no need to cry dude…’

Patrick’s cheeks went red with embarrassment.

‘I’ve… got… nowhere…’ He hiccupped, rubbing his eyes.

‘I wish I could help…’ Joe said plainly, drinking his coffee, ‘But I still live with my folks and well… They don’t really like Patrick…’

‘How could anyone not like Patrick?’ I say, shocked.

‘Ummm…’ Joe looked at Patrick, who shook his head, ‘They just don’t…’

I knew there was something I was missing here but I didn’t want to pursue it and risk embarrasing Trick further. I inhale loudly.

‘Well…’ I slowly began, thinking deeply about my next statement, ‘I have a spare room…’

Patrick’s eyes instantly lit up and he turned his head towards me.

‘You could stay with me if you wanted…’ I announce, waiting for a reaction.

Patrick’s face suddenly shone and a smile played on his lips. He sniffed loudly.

‘You… You really… mean… that?’ As if he felt he had to ask to make sure.

‘Of course,’ I smirk, patting him on the back, ‘What are friends for?’

‘Friends…’ Trick said under his breath, ‘Thank… you... so … much…’

‘Don’t mention it dude.’ I laugh, taking a sip of my latte.

My beeper beeps for the third time but I didn’t even hear the first or second beep. Exhaling angrily I pull it out of my pocket and read the front. It simply says, emergency. I push it back into my pocket mumbling, ‘I hate my job, I hate my job’.

‘Work… again?’ Trick asks, still smiling

‘Isn’t it always?’ I groan, standing up. ‘Meet me outside A’tude HQ at five and I’ll give you a ride to your place. You can pick up some stuff to bring to my apartment.’

Patrick nodded.

‘Later guys’ I say, turning on my heel, but still looking back at the two.

‘Later Pete’ Patrick waved, and tipped his latte in my direction.

‘See ya Pete’ Joe called, waving like a lunatic.

I didn’t want to leave them. In fact, I didn’t like saying goodbye to Patrick. He’s just the most fascinating guy you could wish to meet. Skipping back to the office, latte in hand, I was fully prepared to give whoever had paged me a piece of my mind. Taking the elevator up so I’d have enough time to finish my drink, I dumped the empty cup in the bin next to the secretary’s desk and walk over to my own. Opening the door to my room, I almost had a full blown heart attack when I found an all too familiar woman sat on my desk. Before she managed to say a word I lifted my index finger to silence her. Turning around, I reopened my office door.

‘Miss. Scott?’ I called, to the giggling girl at reception

‘Yes, Mr. Wentz?’ She answered, looking up from her computer

‘Did I order the skank?’ I ask, perfectly serious

Taylor looked passed me and into my office where she saw Ash and chuckled.

‘No, Mr. Wentz.’ She replied, casually.

‘Thank you Miss. Scott.’ I smile at Ash, ‘Well… It wasn’t me…’

She tried talking again but again I silenced her.

‘Frank!’ I yelled.

‘Yeah Pete?’ A voice rang from some unknown place a couple of rooms along

‘Did I order the skank?’ I repeat my question.

‘I don’t think so Pete’ He laughed, suddenly appearing around the corner of the door, sat on a swivel chair, ‘If you don’t want her just put her into the recycling’

‘Thank you Frank’ I answer, shutting my door, finally paying Ash the attention she desperately craves.

‘Cute…’ She hissed sarcastically

‘I thoughts so’ I dropped into my chair in front of her, ‘For what do I owe the horror?’

‘You’re finished in this company honey’ She grinned wickedly, leaning over me so I could see right down her top.

‘Sure…’ I say in return, ‘Now… Run along princess’

Jumping up from her perch, she kissed me on the cheek before walking out. I wiped at my cheek furiously. Clacking her way into the distance, she turned back around just before getting completely out of sight.

‘This isn’t over’ She shouted

‘Yippie’ I retorted, throwing both fists in the air in mock celebration.

I swear I could almost see her eyes roll. As soon as she had definitely gone I sank into my chair. A sick feeling boiled in the pit of my stomach and I got that terrible feeling that this really isn’t over.
Sign up to rate and review this story