Categories > TV > Doctor Who

Ten Plus Thirteen

by seldra 0 reviews

House crossover. The Tenth Doctor meets Thirteen.

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover,Sci-fi - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-12-31 - Updated: 2007-12-31 - 559 words - Complete

2Funny
Title: Ten Plus Thirteen
Author: seldra
Fandoms: House M.D., Doctor Who
Characters: Tenth Doctor, Thirteen
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: they belong to BBC and FOX, respectively, and not to me at all.
SPOILERS for House 4x9 "Games."
Notes: takes place directly following "Games"...




She was just leaving the hospital when he met her, long brown curls running over her shoulders, a sour expression on her face. “Uh excuse me but is this the hospital. Princeton Plainsboro Teaching Hospital – year 2007-ish?”

Paused in mid-step, she turned to stare at him with suspicious eyes that held just a drop of amusement. “It is. Are you looking for someone?”

“Well, something, more like. Something alien – ” he paused, scratching his ear absentmindedly. “Nice building, mind you. Big enough for a shop. I like shops. Well, they cheer the place up. Though if you don’t have any cat-nun-nurses around maybe you don’t need much cheering up. On the other hand hospitals are always a bit – urr,” he shuddered. “All those white walls and glaring lights - gives me the creeps.”

“Right. And who are you?”

He blinked in surprise, having forgotten she was there. He really should make an effort to be less rude. “The Doctor.”

“The Doctor who doesn’t like hospitals?” her lips turned into a slight smirk.

“Well…I’m a doctor of a lot of things, actually.”

“And do you have a name?” she asked.

“Nope,” he answered, “just ‘the Doctor.’”

Now she was definitely amused, not annoyed, not confused, just amused by him. She stuck out her hand. “Thirteen.”

“No I’m only the tenth – oh, oh you’re Thirteen! Great – brilliant, actually,” he said, giving her hand a hearty shake. “You know that’s a number, right?”

“You know ‘the doctor’ is a title?”

“Fair enough. D’you work here, Thirteen?”

“Not anymore. Actually I was just leaving—”

“That’s great! You’re free to help me, then. I’m tracking down an alien – well it looks like a box, contains some very nasty surprises though – ever hear the legend of Pandora? It is an Earth myth.”

“Hold on a second—”

“Are you a doctor, by the way?”

“Wh – yes.”

“Fantastic. Of course, I’m the Doctor.”

“And not the first egotistical one I’ve met,” she raised her eyebrows, beginning to turn away.

Thirteen – an unlucky number in many cultures, many worlds, many times. Now he wasn’t prone to triskaidephobia, although the number held a special significance for his people in particular; it was the number of lives a Time Lord had before he finally ended. Before he really died. He didn’t believe in omens, but coincidences were no good, either.

“Sure you don’t want to help me? Could save a planet – this planet, actually.”

She glanced back over her shoulder at him. “Are you for real?”

“Real as they come, genuine Time Lord,” he said, rocking back on the balls of his feet. “Now are you coming, because I really have to catch this thing before it opens and envelopes the world in an alien disease.”

He saw her weighing the decision in her mind, hesitating. “Well I –”

He’d never understand how creatures with such short, fragile lives could waste so much time in indecision. “Come on,” he told her. “You only live once.”

She came with him.




THE END
Sign up to rate and review this story