Categories > Original > Drama

Presence of Loss

by demonic_water579 0 reviews

An original by Carrie D. The first Chapter is just the promo.

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [X] [R] - Published: 2008-01-04 - Updated: 2008-01-04 - 813 words

0Unrated
A Presence of Loss


“I got accepted.” The words that demolished a challenged being’s tenth year.
“What? Seriously?” The words that try to show congratulatory emotion.
“Yeah! I’m scheduled to leave this Friday!” The words that made her thoughts run ramped.
“Well… I’m… So happy for you…” The words, very unwillingly said, that tried to hide her melancholy feeling.
“Don’t worry, Abby, I’ll be home on the holidays, and most of the weekends, so don’t fret, ok?”
‘How can I not fret… when the only person in my family that I could trust… was ever even allowed to depend on, even on the smallest thing… is leaving my side…’ Thought the adolescent, as she watched her sister remove a noisy cell phone from her pocket.
“Hello… Yah… Oh, ok, I’ll be there as soon as possible.” She closed the phone, placed it back in her pocket, and looked at her five year’s difference little sister. “I have to go, Mark wants to spend as much time with me as possible before I leave.”
“Yah… Have fun…” Abby turned, about to go into her room, when she felt a familiar palm on her shoulder. “What do you want Bailey?”
“… I want you to know that I love you… and just because I’m going off to college… doesn’t mean that will change.”
Abby’s eyes burned a watery red. ‘She says this now… but things always change… if a mind is set once, it can be set again…’
“I said I was happy for you… can’t you leave it at that?” She shrugged her sister’s hand away and turned to face her. “It’s normal for me to be sad… You’re my sister and you’re going away. Who wouldn’t be sad? This means I‘ll have to move…”
“I know, it’s understandable. Though, you have no right to be angry with me.”
“Did I say I was angry with you?!” Yelled Abby, now standing straight with her fists clenched at her sides.
“No…” A tear strolled down Bailey’s cheek as she pulled her sister into a hug. “I simply stated that you have no right…”
Abby’s tense shoulders loosened as she wrapped her arms around her sister. “I love too sis.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Abby turned twelve, her mother became ill with Leukemia. The two sisters were at a young age, with no father to look to for advice or assistance. A mother in and out of the hospital put a lot of strain on Abby, as well as Bailey, though she didn’t show it as much because she didn’t want her sister to become worried.
The depression that little Abby consumed from her mother’s death turned her very vague when it came to conversation. Her sister was old enough to take care of her, but it was difficult at first. She was working at a service station at the time, little pay with not so reasonable hours. Bailey, with the help of an old friend, cam into a job in construction. It had worthy pay and good hours.
They’d moved out of the house that they stayed in when their mother was alive. Bailey started socializing more when school started, and gradually grew out of her depression. Slowly but surely.
Bailey had thought about letting her sister live with her aunt Margery so she could go to college, which were her plans before her mother died, wanting to go into the medical field. Though, she knew that loosing her sister would make Abby even more dismayed, so for her sake, she stayed.
Abby depended on her sister, not much, but enough to know that if she needed something badly enough, Bailey would take care of it. She was always by her side in times of need.
Now that Bailey was going off to college for sure, Abby would have no other choice than to go stay with Margery.
It wasn’t that Abby didn’t like Margery in paticular, it was just that she’d never spent any time with her. No response on holidays, no family outings, not even so much as a phone call, unless it was to deliver bad news. What was that any good for?
Some things just can’t be helped, and a sister that was pretty much your mother through your teen years leaving at the worst time, was something that Abby couldn’t help. She knew that sooner or later she would go. Make up her mind to leave the challenges of being a high school chick to herself. Who would she talk about boys with now? How would she get her Saturday night booze? Who would be the one to have fun with, to talk to, to chill with when she’s just hell of bored?
Sign up to rate and review this story