Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > How To Save A Life

Something Lost

by gerard_is_my_savior 2 reviews

Well... I don't want to say...

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2008-01-10 - Updated: 2008-01-11 - 1228 words - Complete

0Unrated
Just thought I should say to all of you thank you so very much for your wonderful reviews and ratings! I’m so glad you all love this story, and sorry if I can’t update everyday. I will try to update on weekends a lot and maybe one a day during the week. Again, basketball and school are eating me alive! I hope you enjoy this chapter and the many to follow!
NOTE: This is a real hospital, in a real town, but the Doctors are NOT real and is meant no disgression toward the Via Christi hospital in Wichita. Thanks goes out to them for saving my mother’s life in a very similar situation.








Gerard watched the taxi cab pull away just as the snow started to fall. He gazed at the tiny white snowflakes that had begun falling. He shivered then, under his leather jacket, as the wind began to rise. He finished his cigarette and lazily threw the butt into the snow. He looked back, once more, as the taxi turned the corner. “God,” he said, “Protect them.”

-----------

“Dr. White, she’s losing a lot of blood!” A short blonde female doctor yelled across the way. Avenue was lying on her stomach, gaping for air though unconscious. Another doctor held an oxygen mask to her face.
Dr. White reached for his needle and some thread. “Pump in more morphine and prep her for another transfusion!” He began to sew her artery. Earlier, while cutting her flesh open to begin the surgery, his hand had slipped and sliced open a main coronary artery, one very close to her heart.
The tissue was sewing very well, but it was getting hard to see what he was doing, through all the blood. The female doctor walked beside him and helped hold the tissue together. “Dr. Reinhardt, hold them together steadily!”
“Dr. White! The transfusion is ready to take place!”
“Good!” He said, sewing the last of the tissue. He then began on the flesh.
-----------

When Gerard entered the hospital, the nurses at their station were yelling. “Dr. White needs morphine! Someone, get the transfusion room ready!”
Gerard stopped and thought a moment. Dr. White was Avenue’s doctor! “What is going on?” He asked, running up to the counter.
A large older nurse cast a look at Gerard. “Sir, we cannot release any information, please, return to…”
“Gina, Dr. White has sewed the artery back up and now she is being taken to the transfusion room!” Yelled a brunette nurse from down the hall.
The nurse he had been speaking to, he assumed was Gina, turned back his direction. “Sir, I’m going to ask you to take a…”
“The woman I love is in there and you won’t tell me what the fuck is going on?” He slammed his fist on the counter.
“Sir, please sit down!”
Gerard ignored her request and walked down the hall labeled ICU unit. “Sir, you can’t go down there!” The nurse yelled to him. He paid no mind to her pleas. ‘Where is she? Where is she? Where the fuck is she?’ He was jogging down the hallway, looking in any room that had its lights on. Then a small blonde doctor came running from out of a door a little farther down the hall. She was yelling out the doctors and nurses in the way to get out. Just then a team of surgeons appeared from the same door the female doctor had. They were pushing a stretcher with a female body on it.
“Avenue!” He yelled rushing toward her.
“Mr. Way!” Dr. White yelled, not looking back. He was too busy steering the stretcher through the halls. “You need to get the hell out of here!”
“No! I’m not leaving her alone with you!” He shouted at Dr. White. He grabbed onto the back of his scrubs.
“Mr. Way,” he said, approaching another door. “I’m asking you to let go and get back so I can save her life. Please!”
Gerard glared at him with defiance. But he let go of him.
“Wait here, Gerard, and I will have her back out, alive and waiting for you in two hours.”
Gerard nodded his head and watched him vanish behind the doors. He fell to his knees and buried his face in his hands.
‘Avenue,’ he whispered. ‘Avenue, baby, come back.’ He whimpered softly. ‘Please.’

------------
Mikey took his seat next to Bob on the airplane.
“Mikey?” Bob asked. Mikey turned to face him. “Mikey, are you alright?”
“Yeah,” he whispered. “Just thinking about Gerard.”
“Me too, man.”
“Will he be okay?”
“Of course.”
“Really?”
Bob looked away then. He didn’t want to look at his friend anymore. “I don’t know.”
“Me neither.”
Mikey sighed as the plane began to pull out off the runway.

----------------
After about two hours a nurse appeared. “Gerard?”
He had been sitting there alone, watching the afternoon slowly tick by on the hands of the black and white clock above the green sofa in the waiting room. It had been so long, he had thought, since he heard her vice. So long since he saw her face, held her hand! He missed her so much. The entire time he had sat there, he was trying to hold back the tears that welled up in his eyes and eventually made their way down the sides of his face. He was holding back the fears that were becoming unleashed in his heart, but it was impossible. So when the small impish voice of the nurse hit his eardrums, he only expected the worse.
“Gerard? Miss Monroe has been released to the ICU unit. You can see her there, but only with a 15 minuets time limit.”
He stood up and followed the nurse down the hall. He would have sprinted, had he knew where to go. The woman placed her hand on the doorknob. “Before we enter, let me tell you that she is unconscious and she cannot hear you. She is unresponsive, as we thought she might be. Please, Mr. Way, try to remain calm when you see her condition. The doctors have tried as much as possible to help fix it, but…”
Gerard pushed past her and into Avenue room. She was lying on the bed, oxygen mask placed on her face. She was extremely pale and…
“What the hell did you do?” Gerard screamed, running to her side.
“Mr. Way, we tried so hard, please understand. You know that in the human body that the central nervous is the back. When Mr. White was cutting open her back to begin the operation, he not only cut a coronary artery, but also hit one of her motor neurons. This neuron is one of the millions that carry messages to her legs. That one controlled specifically to her left leg. Dr. White damaged it beyond the point of repair. We had to amputate her leg, before it became infected with gang green, which would eventually lead to the infection spreading across her entire body.”
Gerard didn’t say anything. He just held her hand. “I promised you you would be fine,” he whispered. “I’m so sorry.” He gently reached out and placed his hand where her left leg should have been. "I'm sorry," he repeated.
Sign up to rate and review this story