Categories > Original > Fantasy > The King's Mistress

Chapter One

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Helena runs away from the knight who must take her into banishment. But when he tracks her down, she finds out how much she desires him.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2008-01-09 - Updated: 2008-01-11 - 3906 words - Complete

0Unrated
“You have to come with me, Lady Helena,” the knight said.
Lady Helena tossed her blonde head and glared at him with flashing green eyes.
“Why must I go with you sir knight?” She demanded, putting her hands on her hips in an act of defiance. “What is so vital that you must drag me from my home when a war rages?”
The knight looked away in obvious discomfit, then began to speak again.
“In order to end this war, King Constantine is marrying Princess Elspeth,” he said. She has but one demand, and that is that all the king’s former mistresses be banned from this land.”
Helena looked at him in disbelief.
“So because I caught the king’s eye three years ago and shared his bed,” she began shrilly. “I must now leave Arion?”
The knight nodded.
“And what if I will not go sir knight,” she demanded. “What will you do then?”
He looked at her in the eye.
“Then I will have no choice,” he said, “but to throw you over my shoulder and take you.”
He glared down at her with anger.
“I will follow the orders from the king,” he said coldly, “no matter what.”
Helena sighed with defeat.
“Fine sir knight,” she said quietly, “please come in while I summon my maid to pack for me.”
She looked at him in doubt.
“I will be able to take some of my belongings with me?” She asked and he nodded his head.
“Come then,” she said, leading him into the manor house. “Sit by the fire and relax as I prepare for my journey.”
She looked at him with her wide green eyes.
“May I have the honor of knowing your name sir knight?” She asked coquettishly.
He stared at her in suspicion for a moment, then relaxed at the innocent look in her eyes.
“My name is Kameron of Dejaun,” he said, “now hurry and gather what you will need. The king’s formal betrothal ceremony is in a week and he wishes all his mistresses to be gone before then.”
Helena smiled at him sweetly, then hurried away. As soon as she left his view, she glared at his back and stuck out her tongue. Then she turned and hurried up the stairs, calling for her maid, Maren.
“What is it milady?” Maren asked, appearing from the kitchens.
“I’ve been told,” Helena began then stopped. “Nay, I’ve been ordered. I must pack my belongings and journey with the knight below. It appears because of my liaison with the king, I’m being banished from Arion.”
Maren gasped in dismay.
“Why is he doing that?” She asked, “what kind of displeasure does he have with you?”
Helena sighed heavily.
“It’s not his displeasure,” she said softly, “but the Princess Elspeth’s. She’s to be his betrothed soon and she wants all his mistresses banned from our land.”
Maern straightened her back, her face stormy with anger.
It wasn’t your fault that you caught the king’s eye,” she raged. “No one denies the king.”
Helena shook her head and entered her bedchamber.
“That doesn’t matter,” she said, “all that matters is that I shared the king’s bed.”
“What are you going to do milady?” Maren asked.
Helena stopped in the middle of the room and thought for a moment, then turned toward her maid with a wicked gleam in her eyes.
“I’m going to Suchin,” she said, “and request an audience with the king. I was always his favorite mistress, I’m sure he’ll grant me leave to remain.”
“But how will you get rid of yon sir knight?” Maren asked quietly.
“Go summon Wesley for me,” Helena said, “tell him I have a job for him.”

Kameron shifted restlessly in his chair. Lady Helena had been upstairs for at least a hour, and he was getting anxious. He wanted to be on his way soon or they might risk getting caught on the roads after dark.
He turned his head, just in time to see movement from the corner of his eye, but he couldn’t move fast enough to avoid the blow.
Helena looked down at the handsome dark haired knight that Wesley had just rendered unconscious and for a moment she felt a twinge of uneasiness. But she squelched it quickly and looked at Wesley.
“Drag him downstairs,” she said, “make sure he is tied tightly. After I’ve been gone for a day, release him. I don’t want him dead, just delayed.”
Maren looked at the knight and squeezed her hands.
“He’s going to be right angry, when he awakens,” she said in a worried voice.
Helena smiled, that’s why I want to get a head start,” she said, then turned and picked up the valise sitting beside the stairs.
“Don’t worry Maren,” she said to her maid. “I’ll get the king’s leave, and return, all will be well.”
She walked toward the front door, then turned and looked back at the knight laying on the floor. Again she felt that twinge of uneasiness, but then she smiled brightly. All would be well, it had to be.

Kameron groaned and tried to move his legs, but something restrained him. He frowned and opened his eyes, realizing he was bound. He looked around, wondering where he was. Then his eyes widened with fury and disbelief.
“The little minx had knocked him unconscious,” he shook his head to clear the fog in it.
Slowly he looked around again and realized he was in some sort of cellar. He narrowed his eyes, and tried to figure out how to escape.
He suddenly realized that his hidden dagger was still in its sheathe under his shirt and he smiled slowly. Whoever had tied him had either been in a hurry or they were very inexperienced.
He moved his hands, which had been conveniently tied in front of him, toward his shirt and wiggled the knife out of its sheathe. Slowly he maneuvered his hands until the rope was between them and the blade. Then he began to cut carefully. Finally the rope broke and he stood up, shaking the feeling back into his numb hands.
He spotted a staircase that led upwards and took it slowly, careful not to make any noise. He looked around the corner and found that he was in the hall, across from where he had been knocked unconscious.
Sudden footsteps made him duck back around the corner and he watched as a pretty red-haired maid walked by. Quickly he leapt out and grabbed her, dragging her back into the darkness of the alcove. He pressed his knife against her throat and whispered quietly in her ear.
“I won’t hurt you, I just want to know where Lady Helena went.”
Maren cried softly, with fear, both for her and her mistress.
“She went to Suchin,” she whispered, shaking in fright. “She’s going to petition the king for leave to remain here at Arion.”
Kameron cursed softly.
“The little fool,” he said, “doesn’t she understand what will be lost if the king doesn’t marry?”
He released the maid and sheathed his knife.
“Please don’t hurt her milord,” Maren said pleadingly. “She is a good woman, but Arion is her home and her reason for existence.”
Kameron looked at the maid aloofly.
“I won’t harm her,” he said, “but she will leave with me. The king’s orders must be followed.”
Then he strode out of the manor house, mounted his horse that still waited for him and galloped off.

Helena looked around the inn warily, for the first time she wondered at the wisdom of being there. Not because she could’ve continued her journey, with nightfall any traveler was able to run into highwaymen, or worse. But as she eyed the disreputable patrons of the inn, she wondered if she should’ve taken Wesley with her, instead of traveling by herself.
Finally she raised her chin and stepped further into the common room of the inn, she had been the wife of a great lord and the mistress of a king, she wouldn’t let anything intimidate her.
“Can I help you milady?” The innkeeper asked.
“Yes I’ll be needing a room,” Helena said.
The innkeeper’s eyes widened when he saw the gold coin she laid on the counter.
“Yes milady,” he said, “will you be needing a bath?”
Helena looked around her and shuddered slightly.
“No thank you,” she said, “just the room will be fine.”
The innkeeper nodded and went to tell his wife to prepare their finest room.
Kameron rode up to the inn slowly, he had passed no other inns and he hoped the little fool was smart enough not to travel at night.
He dismounted and handed the reins to a waiting stableboy, then he went inside. He looked toward the stairs just in time to see Helena disappear up them with the innkeeper. He felt a surge of relief that she was safe, then saw motion out of the corner of his eye. A man with greasy black hair was watching the stairs raptly, and as soon as the innkeeper came back down, he moved toward them with intent. Slowly Kameron unsheathed his dagger and walked up to the man.
“If you would be thinking of making an unwanted visit to yon lady,” he said causally, “I would reconsider it.”
The man looked toward him, his eyes widening when he saw Kameron’s dagger.
“I wasn’t,” he mumbled, then hurried the other direction, away from Kameron.
Kameron sheathed his dagger, then turned and pinned the innkeeper with a glare.
“What room is the lady in?” He asked.
“Sir I don’t think...” the innkeeper protested.
“What room?” Kameron snarled, taking a step forward.
The innkeeper paled and said in a shaking voice.
“First room to the left.”
Kameron turned around and stalked up the steps quickly. He paused in front of Helena’s door for a moment, then kicked it open quickly. She jumped up from the chair she was sitting in, brushing her hair and whirled around to face him with a gasp.
“You!” She said, when she saw him.
Kameron stepped into the room and closed the door, smiling in satisfaction when she paled with fear.
“Did you miss me milady?” He asked mockingly. “I highly doubt that, since you had me knocked unconscious and ran away.”
“I’m not going anywhere with you,” Helena spat, clutching the hairbrush tightly until her knuckles turned white.
Kameron smiled ferally and stepped forward.
“That is where you’re wrong milady,” he said softly, “as soon as daybreaks, you and I are heading for Vivek and the ship that awaits us there.”
Helena narrowed her eyes at Kameron and glared at him.
“I’m going to Suchin,” she said coldly. “I’m going to petition the king to allow me to stay at Arion.”
“How are you going to petition the king?” Kameron asked cruelly, “are you going to climb into his bed again?”
Helena gasped in fury and threw her hairbrush at Kameron, narrowly missing his head.
“How dare you?” She raged at him, “I had no choice. The king wanted me as his mistress, I wasn’t a virgin and one doesn’t deny the king.”
Kameron crossed the distance between them in two steps and grabbed a hold of Helena.
“You have no right to judge me,” Helena raged in fury, “you’ve never been put in the position I was in.”
She began to rain blows on his chest, pounding for all she was worth, but they failed to make an impression.
“How dare you try to dictate where I can go?” Helena screamed at him, “you aren’t anything to me, you have no right to interfere in my life!”
Grasping her hands, Kameron pulled Helena tightly against his chest, grinding his lips down over hers. In a kiss meant to punish, effectively shutting off her tirade.
Angry at being physically restrained, Helena fought like a wildcat, kicking at Kameron’s legs, pulling his hair, trying to break free of his hold. But she succeeded in only throwing them off balance. They landed with a thud on the floor, Helena on top of Kameron. Their fall broke the contact of the kiss, but only for a moment. With a single-mindedness that shocked her, Kameron recaptured her mouth, shutting off any further objections.
Kameron rolled over, trapping Helena under his body and kissed her again. Slowly he lifted his head up and stared at her, for a moment. She stared back at him her eyes blazing with defiance, but he saw something else in them, desire.
He groaned hoarsely and leaned over, putting his mouth on her neck, licking the lavender scented skin until she squirmed and moaned.
He moved lower, and nuzzled the skin exposed at the top of her dress. Slowly his mouth moved downward until he could take one of her nipples in his mouth. He watched in fascination as the fabric turned transparent and her nipple grew hard.
Helena grasped his head tightly, although he wasn’t sure if it was to push him away or closer, and gasped one word.
“Please.”
He lifted his head, his blue eyes locking with her green.
“Please what?” He asked softly.
She drew his head up.
“Please make love to me,” she said, then kissed him hard.
He groaned again and stood up, lifting her in his arms. He walked to the bed and gently laid her down on top of it. Slowly he unbuttoned the front of her dress, until her bare breasts were exposed. Then unable to stop himself, he leaned over and took a strawberry tinted nipple in his mouth, suckling it until she groaned with pleasure.
He began to peel off her gown, kissing every inch of skin that he exposed, until she laid nude before him, clad only in two black stockings and her shoes.
For a moment he stared at her loveliness, then he began to roll down her stocking, kissing her leg every agonizing inch of the way down. After he had her stockings and shoes off her, he turned his attention to the enticing place between her legs. Slowly he moved his hand, until it rested on her blonde curls, he separated the dewy folds of her cleft, then lowered his head, and touched the exposed bud with the tip of his tongue.
“Kameron!” Helena cried out in ecstasy.
He stood up and she reached her hands out to him.
Quickly he undressed, then blanketed her body with his. She whimpered at the delicious contact of their bare skin, then moaned when he began to suckle her breasts again.
He took her hand and placed it on his cock, letting her guide him. Slowly he thrust himself to the hilt inside her, and she cried out at the sensation. For a moment he stayed still, breathing hard and trying to control the urge to spill his seed immedately. Finally he began to thrust inside her, harder and harder, deeper and deeper. Helena pushed her hips up to meet the thrusts, reaching for the ultimate pleasure. She whimpered again, as the pleasurable sensations grew inside, making her taut with need. She climbed higher and higher, until she thought she would scream with the rapture of it. Finally she exploded, moaning Kameron’s name in a breathless whisper.
Kameron groaned, as he released his seed deep within Helena’s body, then collapsed on her sweaty body, feeling more sated and satisfied the he’d ever felt before.
Spent, they lay there stunned by the explosiveness of their encounter. Slowly, Kameron rolled to his side on the bed, and brushed damp strands of hair away from Helena’s face.
“Helena,” he started to say, then released that she had fallen asleep in his arms.
Slowly he drew the coverlet around them, and closed his eyes, slowly dropping off into the first sound sleep he had experienced in years.

The next morning, Helena woke up, and for a moment wondered where she was. Then she felt the weight of Kameron’s hand against her thigh, and realized that their legs were tangled together. She lay there, savoring the feeling of waking up with a man in her bed, something she hadn’t experienced in three years. Suddenly she realized how dangerous this man could be, and she got out of bed.
“Going somewhere milady?” Kameron spoke suddenly.
Helena turned around with a start, to find him staring at her, his blue eyes blazing with fury and something she didn’t dare identify.
She raised her chin haughtily.
“I’m going to Suchin,” she said coldly, “to see the king.”
Kameron rose out of bed so suddenly that Helena stepped back, suddenly aware of both their nakedness.
“Is that why you slept with me last night?” He asked in a tight voice. “To get me to change my mind about letting you petition the king?”
“And what if it was?” Helena said, then whitened when she saw how angry he had become.
“Then that would make you the whore everyone claimed you were,” he said cruelly.
For a moment Helena stared at him, then she sprang forward and slapped him hard.
The quiet room rang with the sound of the slap, and she watched in horror as her hand print appeared on his face.
For a moment he stared at her, then he moved so suddenly she didn’t have time to react.
He grabbed her by the throat and pinned her against the wall.
“If you were a man,” he gritted through clenched teeth, “I would’ve killed you for hitting me. But since you’re a woman, you get a warning. If you ever raise your hand to me like that, I won’t hesitate in punishing you.”
He dropped her like abruptly and turned away from her.
“Get dressed,” he said brusquely, “we leave as soon as we’ve broken our fast.”
For a moment Helena rubbed her tender throat, and fought the tears that threatened to fall. Then she gathered up her clothes from where Kameron had scattered them the night before and slowly got dressed.
After they were both done, Kameron grabbed Helena’s arm firmly and led her downstairs to the common room.
The innkeeper’s wife had served them a hearty breakfast, then Kameron led Helena out to the stables. The stableboy had saddled their horses and had them waiting for them and Kameron hoisted Helena unto her saddle, then took her horses’ reins and tied them to his saddle, before mounting his horse.
“Is this really necessary?” Helena asked and Kameron glared at her.
“This is to insure that you don’t try to run away again,” he growled, “I’m in no mood to chase after you today.”
Helena bit back a scathing retort, knowing that it would only enrage him farther. He glared at her a moment longer, then as if satisfied of her docility, he spurred his horse and they galloped out of the inn’s yard.

After traveling for hours, Kameron reined in by a small brook.
“You can go into the woods and relieve yourself,” he said, “but don’t wander far. I won’t be happy if I have to come searching for you.”
Mocking him in her head, Helena stamped through the underbrush. After she had relieved herself, she looked around. As she stared at the woods, she suddenly realized that they looked familiar. This area was near King Constantine’s summer manor, Wolfegang, she had hunted her with the king on numerous occasions when she was his mistress.
She laughed softly at how close she was to the king. If she could get to Wolfegang, the butler knew her. He would insure her safety until she could petition.
Quickly she raised her skirts and began to run in the direction that she knew Wolfegang was.
Kameron heard her crashing through the bushes away from him, and cursed. He should’ve known she would run, especially when she realized how close they were to the king’s summer manor. He just hadn’t counted on her realizing it so quickly.
He began to run after her, his longer legs making it easy for him to catch up with her, even in this densely wooded area.
They finally left the woods behind them, and burst into a giant field.
Helena began to run faster when she saw Wolfegang looming before her. Suddenly she screamed, when she felt Kameron’s hands catch her around her waist. She twisted to hit him and they both fell hard on the ground, Kameron on top of her.
She struggled and tried to hit him, but he grabbed her wrists and pinioned her arms over her head. She bucked against him, then froze when she felt his erection against her belly. He smiled ferally.
“I think you need to be punished milady,” he whispered hotly in her ear, “and I know just the punishment. It’s time you got a spanking.”
Helena began to speak, but her words were drowned out by the whinny of a horse. Quickly Kameron scrambled off her, and unsheathed his sword, stepping forward as if to shield her from danger.
He gasped in dismay as the riders neared, then bowed quickly in reverence. Helena got to her feet, then realized who was approaching them and bowed as well.
Slowly Kameron brought his eyes up to the lead rider who was staring at him in amusement and murmured.
“Hello my king.”

“So instead of taking Lady Helena to Vivek and place her on a ship leaving these lands.” King Constantine said as he paced his library, “ instead you bring her to my summer manor, where my betrothed and her brother are hunting with me.”
Kameron sighed and rubbed his head.
“It’s not that simple my king,” he said, “she had her servant knock me out. Then she ran away toward Suchin. I’ve been trying to control her, but the woman’s a hellion she will not be controlled.”
The king’s lips twitched for a moment, then he nodded.
“I remember well what a hellion Lady Helena can be,” he said, “it is part of what attracted me to her.”
Kameron turned away as he felt a sudden burst of rage at the thought of the king touching her. He tamped it down quickly, then turned and faced the king.
He found King Constantine staring at him with a bemused expression on his face.
“I don’t think we should banish Lady Helena,” he said slowly, “she after all has done nothing to warrant it.”
“What do you propose then my king?” Kameron asked, and the king smiled slowly.
“Why Sir Kameron,” he said, “I think it’s time you were married.”
Kameron stared at the king as if he had sprouted two heads.
“In honor of your great service to me,” King Constantine said, “I give you Lady Helen’s hand in wedlock.”
He beamed at Kameron as if he was doing him a great favor.
Kameron was wondering if it would be considered treason to throw up on the king.
Sign up to rate and review this story