Categories > Original > Fantasy > The King's Mistress

Chapter Three

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Sir Kameron rescues Lady Helena and discovers that he no longer dreads marrying her. But does the lady feel the same?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] [X] - Published: 2008-01-17 - Updated: 2008-01-17 - 5053 words - Complete

0Unrated
Helena woke up slowly, she swallowed and grimaced with distaste. Her mouth felt like it was full of cotton. She tried to lift her head and grimaced when it began to throb.
She realized that she was on the back of a moving horse, and panic threatened to overwhelm her. With a burst on inhuman strength she jerked herself off the horse, landing on the ground hard. The horse stopped and she quickly got to her feet, preparing to run.
A familiar voice speaking her name made her stop with a gasp and she turned in amazement.
“Kameron,” she whispered, then threw herself into his arms, as tears began to run down her cheeks.
He held her tightly and the same emotion he had felt back at the tavern tugged at his heart. He realized with a flash of insight that almost brought him to his knees. He was in love with Helena.
“He’s dead,” he told her softly, “he can’t hurt you again.”
Helena raised her head and softly kissed him on the cheek.
“Thank you,” she murmured and he felt another burst of emotion rip through his heart.
“We better get moving,” he told her finally, “it’ll grow dark soon and I wish to be at an inn by that time.”
Helena nodded, and let Kameron place her on the horse. He mounted behind her and they began to ride onward, towards Wolfegang.

Finally just as dusk was gathering, they reached an inn, and Kameron dismounted, turning and helping Helena off the horse. He handed the reins to a waiting stable boy, then placing his hand on the small of her back, led Helena into the inn’s common room.
The innkeeper saw them and seeing that they were nobility rushed over quickly.
“We need a room,” Kameron said, then noticing the condition of Helena’s dress, he added. “Also a new dress and a bath for the lady.”
Leaning over he whispered in the innkeeper’s ear.
“We were beset by highwaymen and they managed to make off with our baggage. Understandably my wife is very upset.”
The innkeeper nodded quickly.
“I’ll prepare our best room for you, milord and milady. Unfortunately we have no fine clothes here, but my daughter Nell is the same size as milady. She’ll have a dress that would fit.”
Helena looked down at her dress that was torn and dirty, and realized how eager she was to get out of it.
“That would be fine,” she said, smiling at him softly. “You have my thanks.”
Completely besotted by her smiled, the innkeeper blushed and hurried off to prepare their room.
“I think you made a conquest,” Kameron murmured in her ear. As they waited for their room to be prepared.
Helena looked at Kameron intently.
“Only one?” She asked, then felt a stab of hurt go through her heart, when he turned and looked away.
“This way milord and milady,” the innkeeper said, then led them to the back of the inn where their room was.
After the innkeeper had delivered the dress, and insured they had hot water for a bath, Kameron and Helena found themselves alone in the room.
“I’ll let you bathe in peace,” Kameron said, then left the room quickly.
Helena started to call him back, then bit it back. Slowly, with alien motions rioting through her heart, she undressed and eased herself in the tub.

Kameron came back to the room after an hour. He figured that was ample time for Helena to have bathed and dressed. As much as he longed to see her beautiful bare body again, he dared not to. He was in to much danger of confessing his love for her, and he knew she would laugh in his face if he did.
He had just reached the room, when a soft scream of terror came from the inside. Quickly he unsheathed his sword and burst through the door. Helena was asleep in the tub, but she was thrashing and moaning, in the grips of a nightmare.
Kameron closed the door behind him, then sheathed his sword, before going across the room and kneeling beside the tub. Softly he touched her arm, and her eyes flew open as she screamed in terror.
“You’re safe,” he said softly, gathering her in his arms, heedless of the wetness soaking into his shirt.
“Every time I close my eyes,” Helena said, “I see Jedrus. See the lust in his eyes as he tried to force himself on me.”
“It’s all right,” Kameron said, “he’s dead.”
Slowly Helena looked up at him, her wide green eyes shimmering with unshed tears.
“Make me forget him,” she said softly, then gently kissed him on the mouth.
Kameron groaned and closed his eyes at the sensation of her mouth upon his. He was suddenly very aware of the fact that she was naked and in his arms.
“We shouldn’t,” he said, pushing her away slowly. “You’re distraught right now, I won’t take advantage of you.”
Helena took his hand and placed it on her bare breast.
“It won’t be taking advantage,” she said, then kissed him harder.
He groaned again, kissing her back, his tongue exploring the sweetness of her mouth.
Slowly he stood up, and swept her into his arms, carrying her to the bed. He placed her on it, then stepped back and began to remove his clothes.
Helena felt the rise of desire sweep through her body and she began to tremble with excitement.
Finally he was fully nude and she rose on her knees, reaching for his throbbing cock.
Kameron moaned with pleasure as she took his hard throbbing cock into her soft hands, then gasped with surprise when she bent her head and took him into her mouth.
He closed his eyes, and enjoyed the sensation of her warm mouth encircling his cock. He allowed himself a few moments of bliss, then afraid he would explode, he gently drew her away from his cock.
“I want to come inside you,” he whispered hoarsely, then laid her back on the bed, blanketing her body with his.
He began to kiss her breasts, marveling at their beauty. Then he took a strawberry tinted nipple in his mouth, suckling it hard.
Helena cried out in pleasure, writhing beneath him, when he began to lick the other nipple.
Finally she gently pulled his head up to hers.
“I want you inside me now,” she gasped, then kissed him hard.
Kameron guided his cock, to Helena’s slick entrance, he thrust hard and slid in all the way to the hilt.
They both groaned with the sensation, and she wrapped her legs around his waist.
Kameron began to thrust inside her, harder and harder, as she whimpered his name softly. She tilted her hips, and he grasped him, slamming his body into hers, so fast that their skin slapped together.
“Kameron,” she screamed, as she came in hard waves of pleasure. He thrust again and again, then finally exploded with a hoarse shout, emptying himself deep inside her.
He collapsed on her and for a moment, neither of them moved, other to breathe heavily. Finally he rolled off her, pulling her over to blanket his body, then he drew the coverlet over them both as they drifted off to sleep.

Helena woke up slowly the next morning, smiling as she felt Kameron’s hard body beneath her. She rubbed her cheek against his hairy chest, and realized for the first time since her husband died she was truly content.
Suddenly she realized that she had fallen in love with Kameron. For a moment she considered telling him her feelings, then she decided against it. He may have saved her from Jedrus, but it was more out of a sense of duty then anything else. If she told him she loved him, he would laugh at her.
She felt his arms tighten around her and she looked up to find him studying her seriously. For a moment she thought she saw a flash of something in his eyes, but it was gone so quickly she thought she imagined it.
“Good morning,” he murmured, nuzzling her hair.
Good morning,” she said softly, closing her eyes she enjoyed the feeling of his mouth against her head.
Kameron let go of her reluctantly.
“We better get dressed,” he said, “if we want to get to Wolfegang before sunset.”
She rolled off him and they both got out of bed. She walked over to where she had left her clothes the night before and picked up her dress.
“Kameron,” she said, and he turned, looking at her.
“Why didn’t you put me on the ship when we were in Vivek?” She asked softly.
For a moment Kameron stared at her, and she felt a flicker of hope that maybe he did care for her.
“I gave the king my word,” he finally said. “And I plan on keeping it.”
Helena turned away so he wouldn’t see the tears in her eyes, and the both finished dressing in silence.
Finally they left the room, and walked back into the common room where the innkeeper waited.
“We must be on our way,” Kameron told him, “do you have any bread and cheese we can take with us?”
“Yes of course milord,” the innkeeper said, he hurried into the kitchen, then returned with a fresh loaf of white bread and some yellow cheese.
“Thank you for the dress,” Helena murmured as he offered her the food.
He smiled kindly at her.
“I must say that the green of the dress brings out your eyes,” he said.
Helena turned and found Kameron staring at her hungrily, and she turned away.
Despite the fact that she knew he desired her, it meant nothing, because she knew he didn’t love her.
They walked outside and waited as the stable boy saddled the horse and led it out in the yard.
Kameron set Helena on the horse, then mounted behind her. He kicked the horse and they quickly galloped down the road toward Wolfegang.

Finally after traveling for hours, they reached Wolfegang and reined in by the stables.
Kameron helped Helena off the horse, and held her tightly longer then necessary. He seemed about to say something, but the king’s voice interrupted them.
“Thank the heavens you found her,” he said, and swept her up in hug.
Kameron felt a rush of anger at the sight of the king hugging Helena and he longed to break them apart and smash King Constantine’s nose.
Finally Helena stepped away from the king, and Payne led her inside to rest.
“Has anyone found Tavaris?” Kameron asked when he was alone with the king.
“No,” the king said, “it’s like he disappeared into thin air. Understandably, Elspeth is quite upset, as is her brother.”
“Jedrus said to me that Tavaris was making to much wealth off the war. Could their older brother, King Justis be in the plot as well?”
King Constantine shook his head. “It was the king himself who approached me about ending the war. He would not have done so if he didn’t want it to end.”
Kameron nodded.
“Just be careful,” he said, “although two of the assassins have been taken care of. Tavaris is still out there, and there may be more. There are always unscrupulous men who will do anything for money.”
The king nodded and started back to the house, with Kameron following him.
“Tonight,” he said to Kameron, as they stepped into the front hall. “My betrothal shall be formally celebrated. This is the last time that Tavaris has to eliminate me.”
“I will keep a close eye out,” Kameron promised, and the king smiled.
“I hope so my friend,” he said, “for you are the only one I can trust.”
He turned toward the stairs, where Payne waited for him.
“Now,” he said, “I will go and prepare for tonight. I shall see you at the dinner before the ceremony.”
He walked away with Payne, leaving Kameron standing in the hallway alone. He started toward the other set of stairs, that would lead him to his room. He needed to prepare as well, not only for the ceremony, but also for preventing an attempt on the king’s life.

Helena turned when she heard a knock on her door. She gave herself one last look in the mirror, to make sure her hair was neat. Then she lifted the skirt of the blue ball gown she was wearing and hurried toward the door.
She opened it and felt all the breath leave her body.
Kameron stood before her, handsome in a black doublet, black hose hugged his muscular legs and he wore black leather boots on his feet.
He bowed as soon as she opened the door.
“Milady,” he said, “may I have the honor of escorting you to dinner?”
Helena nodded, and took the arm he offered to her, then they swept down the hallway, toward the formal dining room.
Kameron thought that Helena had been beautiful before, but nothing compared to the picture she made, in the ball gown she was wearing. For a moment, when she opened the door, he was tempted to stay there and forget about the dinner.
He realized how much he loved her, and he vowed that he would tell her before the night was over. That he would convince her that he wanted to marry her, not out of duty, but out of love.
Finally they reached the door to the dining room and Payne announced them, before they entered.
The room was filled with people, mostly involved with politics of both countries. But Kameron saw a few of the knights, that like him, were close friends of the king.
King Constantine, approached them, looking handsome in a red doublet, with green hose and boots of both colors, his brown hair hidden under a green hat.
“Sir Kameron, Lady Helena,” he said, “I’m afraid you haven’t formally met my betrothed yet”
He pulled Elspeth toward them. The dark-haired beauty was wearing a red ball gown. She came up to them and smiled shyly.
“I’m very pleased to meet you both,” she said softly.
Helena had been prepared not to like her, considering she wanted her banished. But she couldn’t help but like the soft spoken woman.
Just then the bell for dinner sounded, and the king led Elspeth toward the table. Kameron and Helena quickly followed, and soon they were eating the main course.
A servant began to pour wine into the goblets in front of the guests. When he came to Helena she didn’t recognize him, which she considered odd.
“Thank you,” she murmured and her eyes narrowed when he just jerked his head, without meeting her eyes.
“There is something odd about the servant,” she said to Kameron.
“Why?” He asked, his brow furrowed with puzzlement.
“I spent much time here when I was the king’s mistress,” she said. “That man in unknown to me. All the servants that were here before are still here. No new ones would be hired, unless needed.”
She stood up quickly when she saw the king lift up his goblet, as was tradition, the king took the first drink of wine before anyone else.
“Don’t drink it,” she said.
There was a sudden noise at the door as the servant tried to escape. But he was quickly apprehended and brought back to the table.
“I think that the wine is poisoned,” Helena said softly. “Tradition is well known that you, my king, takes the first drink.”
The king rose slowly and stared at the servant who glared at him with defiant eyes.
“Is this true?” The king asked the man quietly.
The man continued to glare at him, then he spit at him in insolence.
“Maybe we should have him drink the wine,” Kameron said and at his words the man’s eyes widened.
He began to struggle to escape, but he was quickly subdued. The king’s goblet was picked up by Payne and he quickly pinched the man’s nose. As soon as the man’s mouth opened up, the wine was poured down his throat. He was released and he staggered forward. Suddenly he began to convulse and he fell to his knees as foamy blood came out of his mouth. He gasped and clutched his throat, then he slumped over, dead.
Elspeth quietly cried out, and the king took her in his arms. She buried her head into his shoulder, as tears ran down her cheeks.
“The ceremony begins now,” the king said, “I will take no chances.”

The room emptied out, except for Kameron and the king.
“I don’t care about tradition,” Kameron said, “I can’t allow you and Elspeth to walk down the long corridor to the chapel. Not alone, it’s too much of an opportunity for Tavaris to murder you. Helena and I walk with you.”
King Constantine sighed, he knew that Kameron was right. But the betrothal walk, was one tradition he had never hoped to break. It was meant to signify the leaving behind of a life separate to a life together.
“You may walk behind us,” he said, and Kameron smiled.
They walked to the door of the hallway, where Elspeth and Helena awaited them.
The king offered his arm to Elspeth, and they began to walk. Followed closely by Kameron and Helena.
Kameron’s eyes darted nervously, because the hallway was filled with shadowy alcoves that could hide a person.
Helena was walking behind Elspeth, when she saw movement out of the corner of her eye. Slowly she turned her head, and saw the light from the torch glint off something.
Without even thinking about it, she moved forward, just as a dagger flew out of the alcove’s shadows.
It struck her in the chest, and then she felt herself falling, but it was like she moved in slow motion.
Kameron caught her, just before she hit the floor, his handsome face grim with worry.
Dimly she heard him shouting for a doctor, before he looked down at her. She blinked, wondering if the look of love on his face was her imagination, then she blacked out.
Kameron felt his heart contract, when Helena’s green eyes closed, and he prayed that the doctor came quickly.
He heard shouts coming from outside, then the sound of a shot. He looked at the king, who was kneeling beside Helena’s prone form, then he tensed at the sound of someone running down the hall.
It was the doctor, and he tersely ordered everyone to back up and give him room. He gently removed the dagger from Helena’s chest, then examined the wound to see how deep it was, before pressing a makeshift bandage on the wound. Finally he looked at Kameron and King Constantine.
“The wound is deep,” he said, “very deep, I’m afraid.”
“Can you help her?” Kameron asked, unable to keep the bleakness from his voice.
“I can,” the doctor said, “but to do so we’re going to have to move her. Carefully, because if we jar the wound, it will cause her great pain and maybe even further damage.”
The king called for a blanket, and while they waited, Kameron sunk down on his knees beside Helena again. He gently picked up one of her hands, wincing at how cool her flesh was.
“Do you love her?” He turned and found the king next to him.
Kameron looked at the king and nodded.
“Yes, I love her,” he said hollowly. “If I hadn’t been so stubborn, I would’ve told her before. But now..” he broke off and shook his head.
King Constantine clasped the hand that held Helena’s.
“She isn’t going to die,” he said firmly, “when she recovers you can tell her.”
Kameron nodded and blinked back the tears that threatened to fall.
Finally the servant arrived with the blanket, and they laid it flat on the floor. Very carefully, they moved her, careful not to jostle the wound. After she was settled on the blanket, it was carefully picked up and she was moved down the hallway, toward the hospice.

Kameron paced the floor, in front of the hospice. As soon as they had arrived, the doctor had ordered everyone out. Now, hours later, Kameron waited nervously for some kind of news.
He turned at the sound of running feet, and watched in amazement as Payne came running down the hallway toward him. All the years he had known the king, he hadn’t seen the butler be anything more then stoic.
“They caught Prince Tavaris,” the butler said. “After he wounded Lady Helena, he fled to his horse. He shot one of the guards and escaped, but they tracked him down.”
“Milord,” the doctor suddenly spoke from the doorway of the hospice.
Kameron whirled around, everything else forgotten and rushed forward.
“I had to sear the wound closed,” the doctor said somberly. “It was so deep that stitches wouldn’t have closed it. But she is very lucky, an inch lower and it might’ve hit something vital.”
“Will she recover?” Kameron asked, and the doctor nodded.
“In time she will,” he said, “but it will be slow and painful.”
“Can I see her?” Kameron asked and the doctor shook his head.
“At the moment it would be better if you didn’t,” he said, “she is still unconscious. But I will summon you, when she awakens. I think the best thing for you to do is get some rest yourself. You look awful.”
Kameron watched as the doctor went back into the hospice, then he turned and looked at Payne.
“Show me prince Tavaris,” he growled.
“Milord, I don’t think...” the butler objected.
“Show Me!” Kameron interrupted loudly.
Payne reluctantly nodded, then turned leading Kameron toward the room where Tavaris was being kept.

Payne brought him to a cell isolated from the others, and ordered that the guards open the door.
Kameron stalked inside, and glared at the man who had almost cost him everything.
Tavaris glared back at him, defiance evident in his eyes.
Kameron stepped forward and punched Tavaris in the nose, knocking the younger man backwards against the wall.
“Your assassination attempt almost killed the woman I love,” he growled, as Tavaris struggled to rise.
He kicked the Tavaris’ feet out from under him, and the prince sprawled on the floor.
“You could’ve hurt your sister,” Kameron growled.
Tavaris looked at him sullenly.
“It would’ve been worth it,” he smirked, then spit a blob of blood at Kameron.
Kameron picked Tavaris off the floor and slammed him against the wall. He started punching him, not stopping until the two guards and Payne had pulled him away.
Tavaris dropped unconscious to the floor and Kameron didn’t resist when the guards dragged him from the cell.
He stood there for a moment, gazing at the cuts on his hand.
“I don’t blame you,” Payne said quietly, “I would’ve done the same. Especially with what happened to Lady Helena.”
Kameron offered him a small smile, then he turned and walked down the hallway. Wandering aimlessly he found himself outside Helena’s room and he went inside.
The room was dark, since no one had bothered to light a fire or candles. Kameron walked to her bed and laid down on her pillow, breathing in her scent and falling into a deep dreamless sleep.

The sound of shuffling footsteps woke him hours later, and Kameron unsheathed his dagger quickly and stood up.
“It’s me Kameron,” came the king’s voice, and Kameron relaxed, sheathing the dagger.
“The healer couldn’t find you,” the king continued, “but I knew where you would be. Helena’s awake and asking for you.”
Kameron nodded his thanks and started to walk past the king. King Constantine put a restraining hand on his arm.
“I heard how you beat Tavaris up,” the king said sternly, then smiled. “I wanted to thank you, the bloody snot has deserved it from the beginning. He was always trying to keep the princess and I apart.”
Kameron stared at the king’s face in the dim light.
“Do you love her?” Kameron echoed the king’s question from hours before.
“I find that I could,” the king admitted. “She’s so sweet, and she wants me to bring back the women I banished. That was always her brother’s idea, I think it was another way to cause a rift between us.”
“Good luck my friend,” Kameron said, clasping him on the shoulder.
He left Helena’s bedroom and hurried down the hall toward the hospice.

Helena had her eyes closed, when Kameron entered her room. Thinking she was asleep he began to leave.
“Don’t go,” she said suddenly, causing him to turn back around.
He approached the bed and knelt beside her, taking her small hand into his own.
“How do you feel?” He asked and she smiled slightly.
“Like hell,” she answered.
“I’m sorry Helena,” Kameron said, pressing his lips against her hand. “I should’ve seen Tavaris, I should’ve been able to stop him.”
“It wasn’t your fault,” Helena said. “You have nothing to be sorry for.”
Kameron stared at her for a moment.
“I still want to marry you,” he finally said.
“Why?” Helena asked and Kameron looked surprised she would ask.
“The king wants us to marry Helena,” he said, and she pulled her hand from his grasp.
“Is that all that matters?” She asked in an anger tone. “Duty?”
She turned on her side, with her back facing him.
“I’m tired now,” she said, not looking at him. “Please leave.”
Kameron stared at her with a bewildered expression on his face. Then he turned around and walked out of the room, softly closing it behind him.
For a moment Helena laid there staring at the wall, then she closed her eyes and let the tears come.

“I don’t understand it,” Kameron said to the king later.
They were sitting in the library, a large table between them, nursing a large bottle of Scotch.
“I told her I wanted to marry her,” he complained. “Then she got all mad and ordered me to leave.”
The king stared at his friend for a moment.
“How did you ask her?” He finally said.
“I just said I still wanted to marry her.” Kameron said, “I told her that it was what you wanted.”
“You are a bloody fool my friend,” the king said. “She doesn’t want talk of duty, but of love.”
“Love!” Kameron scoffed, “I don’t know if she loves me. Why would I give her that kind of ammunition to use?”
The king stared at his friend as if he was an idiot.
“Women always want to hear of love,” he said. “And she may feel it, but be just afraid to tell you as you are her.”
King Constantine stood up, weaving a bit unsteady from the Scotch he had consumed.
“I must go and seek out my lovely betrothed.” He said, winking at Kameron.
Then he turned and left the room.
Kameron watched the king go, then sighed and looked into the empty glass in front of him. No matter how much he drank he couldn’t get rid of thoughts of Helena.
He stood up and looked out into the gardens where preparations for the king’s wedding were taking place. As he stood there watching, he came up with an idea and slowly smiled. Turning he hurried out of the room to find Payne and give him the details of his plan.

Helena blinked back tears as she waited for the wedding to begin. She hadn’t seen Kameron in two days, not since she ordered him out of her room. She feared she had been right, he didn’t love her and was only marrying her out of duty. She had fully expected him to come and carry her out into the gardens for the ceremony, but he hadn’t. A knight she had never met before had. He told her that Kameron had pressing buisness, but she still wondered if he was avoiding her.
Suddenly she heard music start to play and she jerked herself back to the king’s wedding.
Elspeth started walking down the aisle on the arm of her brother, King Justis. Helena felt a lump in her throat when she saw how beautiful the bride was, and she wished again that she was the one up there.
She turned her attention to the king, and realized with a start that Kameron stood next to him. Elspeth finally reached them, and held out her hand to King Constantine.
They turned toward the druid who was waiting to start the ceremony, hands held tightly, expressions of love on their faces.
“I have been told,” te druid began. “That this is a special ceremony. Not only is our king to be wed today, but his best friend Sir Kameron is also.”
Gasps of surprise swept through the crowd, and Helena realized with a start that Kameron had left the alter and was walking toward her.
He knelt before her chair and grasped her hand.
“Lady Helena,” he said, “I wish to marry you. Not out of duty, but out of love.”
He looked deep in her eyes for a moment before continuing.
“Will you do the honor of marrying me today?”
“Yes!” Helena said, “yes I will.”
He stood up and swept her into his arms, carrying her to where the druid waited.
He started to set her down, but she put a hand on his arm.
“I love you Kameron,” she said, and he smiled, then kissed her hard.
Dimly he heard the Druid protest that it wasn’t time for that yet. But he didn’t care, the woman he loved, loved him back and his world was complete.
Sign up to rate and review this story