Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > After the storm

After the storm

by kisara_chan 0 reviews

I've always believed that the only person to truly understand Gaara would be a female Jinchuuriki, so that is the origin of the inspiration for this tale, basing the character of the Nibi on notes ...

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Horror - Characters: Gaara - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-01-18 - Updated: 2008-01-18 - 576 words

0Unrated
The Sandstorm is the coldest time in the desert. The time when nothing stirs for fear of getting lost and thrown into pitfall.

She didn't care.

For she was more than nothing.

Unperturbed by the heavy wind clawing at her skin or sand in her eyes, the woman leapt from rock to rock, barely touching the scaly surfaces before she was gone again.

~~~~~~

Through the sting of the weather, Sunakagure was visible, standing strong against the storm.

Staring through his office window, the fifth Kazekage watched the night. The streets of Suna were reminiscent of a ghost town right then as howling winds beat against his window. He knew that it was wrong to say his favourite times were spent during sand storms, but it remained the truth. The only time his spirit remained at ease.

This night was different to the others.

Though he could not put a name to it, let alone describe it, Gaara knew that something was coming his way...something he had never encountered before, yet knew in his bones as if by instinct.

It was for this reason he stood by the window, watching the storm sail by. He wasn't really watching at all, he was waiting...waiting...for the tension to end.

Waiting for it to come.

~~~~

Morning, and the sound of children signalled the end of the storm.

Still the Kazekage stood by the window, transfixed by a sight yet to arrive.

What are you?

What do you want from me?

Even a knock to the door could not remove him from his thoughts. The door slowly opened and Baki stepped inside, his face a warpath of seriousness and concern.

"Kazekage-sama," he greeted, bowing his head.

"What is it?" was the distant reply.

"I've brought you a report on damage caused by last night's weather," said the jounin teacher, flicking through the files of a folder. "We have had a rockslide at the main gate and so need to organise a repair effort -"

He paused, having noticed the expression on the Kazekage's face. It was almost dangerous.

"Kazekage-sama?" he questioned.

"What is it?"

Sighing, Baki laid the folder on Gaara's desk.

"Never mind, sir, I will take care of it."

~~~~

It was afternoon by the time the rebuilding effort got into full swing. Wiping sweat from their brows, the men assigned to the job hauled the heavy rocks blocking the entrance to a system of pulleys 20 metres east.

Security around the entrance to Sonakagure had been advanced to the highest degree, following the knowledge that if anyone was to attack, it would be after a storm. Along with the usual air of backbreaking labour, today there was an undercurrent of tension, for this was a fact well known.

Before turning back into the village, Baki observed them, thinking back to the motionless shape of Gaara in the Kazekage's office. Something was amiss for him to abandon his duties as leader and shuddering, he knew that it was something he did not wish to contemplate.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Staring emotionlessly, the dark haired wench glared into the eyes of the two corpses in front of her, reaching to shut them. Pulling a headband from one of the two, she stared into the symbol imprinted on the metal.

Sand

Tracing a single sharp nail into the groove, she wrapped the fabric around her left bicep.

The guards did not give her a second glance as she approached the gates.



To be continued

Sign up to rate and review this story