Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Hidden Beneath

Chapter 8

by darkskysong 0 reviews

Sasuke and fox learn about each other.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Naruto,Sasuke - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2008-01-22 - Updated: 2008-01-22 - 3589 words

0Unrated
Warning: Slight spoilers (308, 309, 354) but nothing blatant.


- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter 8 (A Kitsune Discovery)

Since taking in the kitsune, and especially throughout dinner, he couldn't shake the feeling that something about the orange-black creature was off. It was one of those shinobi traits the Uchiha had trained endlessly to have as an automatic instinct. He'd admit to never have been in contact with a fox before so he couldn't be certain, but the high amount of intelligence he saw in those navy irises just didn't seem normal.

Sasuke's analytical mind caught the cautious way the fox approached the raw meat and silently demanded the cooked portions. Nor did his observant eyes miss the flinch when he had pulled out his dulled weapons to clean. He came to the conclusion to find out how intelligent the animal was while he worked diligently with the waterstone.

Possibilities intrigued the sharingan-wielder. He remembered the awe from his childhood and more recently the respect Sasuke gained when faced with the nin-cats acquainted with the Uchiha clan. A familiar would certainly be an unexpected but valuable asset in battle. The teen had seen battles turned with the presence of an animal or summon. The contract with the snake clan was handy to have but extremely worthless if one was devoid or incapable of using chakra.

Uchiha-sama squashed any overzealous thoughts pertaining to keeping the injured fox around even if it wasn't useful. In reality Sasuke was powerful. He knew that it was only a matter of time and circumstance before Orochimaru became obsolete in his carefully laid plans.

His thoughts turned back the jutsu he would use to examine the mind, as he was still wary of using it. The original technique had been classified for interrogation purposes only and under strict supervision for it was quite risky to the user as well as the target. Sasuke had taken the jutsu to refine it and make it his own. He had managed to lessen the danger but it came in the drawback of the minds being linked in a two-way connection. If the target was knowledgeable about mind jutsu then they could use it to gain information from the one who was attempting to do the same to them.

Sasuke had performed his newly personalised jutsu twice since its completion, and only on humans at that. An animal's mind was certainly a different matter and the brunette genius would be nothing but cautious. By the time the young Uchiha had finished sharpening his ever reliable shinobi tools, the conviction needed to harden his resolve had been sufficiently gathered.

He cleared his sleeping area and prepared himself by taking a mediative position. There had been an underlying current of trust coming from the fox since being awake and had piqued Sasuke's curiosity, enough for him to wait and watch for the orange furball's next move.

It took a shorter time than the boy had originally estimated for the creature to slowly move towards him and lie down. A brow had risen at that and inside the Uchiha teen wondered again about strangeness of the kitsune. In fact it made the execution of the mind jutsu easier.

Five seals then Sasuke began sinking inwards to centre his mind. The awareness of coarse fur brushing against his leg caused a small smirk to flitter across the pale boy's features. This jutsu required uninterrupted eye or skin contact. Yes, the fox was making it very easy.

*

There was a brief impression of falling before Sasuke opened lids to regard a familiar mind-environment lit brightly but not harshly by an unknown source. It had taken a large amount of time meditating to get it appearing and organised this way and Sasuke was extremely proud of his inner achievement.

He was comfortably seated in a six tatami room, decorated simply in dark woods and pale blues. The walls either side of the teen were elegantly painted fusuma, the left depicting a sleek black dragon amongst crimson flames and the right one displayed a group of tiger cubs tumbling over each other. There was a short bookcase lining the third screen stocked full of scrolls and books ranging from jutsu to arcane legends, the visual mental form of the young Uchiha's knowledge.

Sasuke knew what lay beyond the two fusuma but they weren't relevant at the moment to why he had withdrawn. The interesting thing about his modified jutsu was that to stabilise and make it less dangerous, one had to delve inwards rather than outwards to reach the connection linking to the victim's mind.

The dark haired shinobi focused his attention on the inconspicuous scroll placed on the low table before him. Another fact he had noted on the previous tests was that the item anchoring the link in his mind could identify something about the target. This third time was no different, though how a fox could relate to a scroll could only be guessed at.

He took a moment to check the strength of the mental barriers the shinobi always had active against intrusion. Satisfied everything was in place Sasuke put aside his doubts of using this jutsu, pride bolstering his confidence. Taking a deep breath the Uchiha placed his hand over the object and let the connection pull him into the other's domain.

*

The nuke-nin was aware of standing in a long hallway, the presence of stone walls to the front and back heavy even in the darkness. The slow dripping of liquid echoed through the corridors as Sasuke realised there was some illumination coming from his right. Since there was no other indication to where the fox's mental form lie, the teen walked towards the glow. It grew stronger until the sickly light revealed a place that could have passed as the inside of one of Orochimaru's research laboratories.

Many side passages opened onto the one Sasuke traversed but he did not deviate. The visual form of the mind was a treacherous existence, one Sasuke knew from his own experience and those of the snake sannin's teachings. A low rumbling rolled towards the brunette, more vibration than sound and with a dark presence accompanying it.

Curious Sasuke followed the tension to find the source, a side hallway spilling out into a huge antechamber. The far wall was completely taken up by floor to ceiling bars, a paper seal securing the massive doors shut. The youngest Uchiha halted in the middle of the floor facing the gates and all he could see beyond the barrier was shadows.

An abrupt interruption broke the thick silence.

"Who are you?"

The shinobi gathered his thoughts to meet this currently unknown conscience. Battle ready instincts tingled for a clash of the verbal kind, sly and demanding.

"Someone of no import."

There was a pregnant pause before the growling began again, curiosity lining the voice. "Why are you here?"

"I came to converse." Sasuke did not bother to lie.

"With me?"

Had he less control he might have given in to the urge to roll onyx eyes. "You're occupying this mind, are you not?"

"Yes, I am."

The Uchiha waited patiently, saying nothing, it was the choice of this individual to carry their conversation further. A willing participant gave more answers unknowingly than having them forcefully pried loose.

When the voice sounded again Sasuke could tell it was faintly amused. "I'm intrigued. Speak with me then."

It was a test. He knew the entity was gauging its opinion against what he said now. It was still wary, a predator's instinct. The cautious subtly he used with Orochimaru and Kabuto, Sasuke thought, would get him no where and fast.

"Why are you caged?"

"Ask the one who created the seal." It was petulant, like it was still bitter about the fact. "I can't fathom the paths a human mind takes nor do I wish to."

Sasuke refused the smirk that wanted to surface. Those willing never disappoint.

"I didn't ask for their reason, I want what you believe."

The undeniable confidence laced through that statement must have pricked the being's ire and raised defences.

"Who are you to presume I would tell you anything?" it snapped back.

The nuke-nin let out a small sigh as if he was calming himself to deal with a stupid person. "I am no one of consequence to you," he repeated, "but you have a seal and it interests me."

This creature was in no way stupid, Sasuke knew that. Hiding his true motives under other truths and misinterpretations had become an irreplaceable skill for the dark haired shinobi. Appearances were everything for thorough planning to execute successfully. He had counted on the bluntness and sincerity of his few words to put it off balance and it paid off. The youngest Uchiha also knew, however, that the usefulness of the tactic was ending as the entity would unvaryingly enter with its own objectives.

"Would you remove the seal if I reveal what you want to know?"

The question had been growled softly, non-threateningly and almost imploringly, trying to coax the human to the deal through their compassionate nature. Too bad for the entity that Uchiha Sasuke was one of those that did the manipulating, rather than be the one manipulated. The creature had a seal for reason and its continued concealment while partaking in conversation did not help its cause.

"There is always a price to be paid."

Everything about the brunette remained impartial, even though this wisdom he was intimate with. Sasu-kun's voice might have held a tiny tremor but the nuke-nin was experienced at façades. The being remained silent for it knew to speak now could be detrimental to what it could get from the human later. Cunning was always said to breed patience. Additionally it was another test, this time one of Sasuke's own.

"Not everything is as it seems. Am I right, demon?"

Any other person would have felt the beginnings of unease from speaking as such to a demon but the teen almost revelled in facing one as an opponent, even in words. He was satisfied to discover using his mind jutsu to ascertain the injured fox's intelligence was not a waste of time. A challenge was one of the things that interested and excited the pale shinobi the most.

There was a shifting beyond the veil of darkness and Sasuke's piercing gaze focused on an area near the bottom of the cage front. The indistinct form of a fox sat against the cage bars, thrice as tall as the human before it and an intimidating aura crowding behind it.

"You're perceptive." Sasuke made an evasive grunt and held strong against the fox's stare. A conniving grin slowly bared a sharp white fang. "But so am I. You're not being truthful either."

So the demon had noticed some of the effects of the jutsu. However it was not experienced enough with this kind of ninjutsu to bypass his mind wards and gain direct access. The young shinobi let the next smirk encompass his lips.

"How shall I remedy your fears, Demon-sama?" came the mocking reply.

The entity chuckled lightly. "As I said before, you fascinate me for a human." It paused for just a moment to consider exactly what he wanted the boy to provide. "I want to know all of you" the demon purred out, its tone low, husky and bordering on seductive.

"All of me?" Sasuke repeated, deadpanning.

The teen understood the true meaning of what the fox requested and it did not want his body as a new container or in a sexual context. No one but himself knew of his secret and, Sasuke was loath to share for it was one of his greatest accomplishments to date. Nonetheless compromising in certain situations and deftly manoeuvring in the background to get what he wanted was a lesson Orochimaru inadvertently taught him. With a last inward sigh, he agreed with conditions.

"A piece for a piece, demon. No less. No more."

An impressed laugh burst from the demon. "You'd do well as one of my kind."

At this stage there was no point beating around the bush, something the pale ninja detested. Sasuke used a crisp, authoritative voice. "What do you control?"

"Sharp. I am but a spirit with a seal," the fox replied with pseudo wistfulness, and then it gave an amused snort. "Chakra, dear human, is all I have."

The answer was quite informative in Sasuke's opinion and adequate enough for him to show this side of his secret. He sent a silent command along the jutsu connections to his own mind-centre.

"Hello Kitsune-san."

The young voice sounded from somewhere near Sasuke's navel. They stepped out from behind the larger figure, a soft smile lighting the revealed features. Sasuke let the dark headed child's petite hands clasp his own left one without batting an eyelid. Sasu-kun stole a quick glance at the older boy before speaking to the caged creature.

"You're not like I thought a demon would be" he said with naïve honesty.

"Well, well, well." A glint entered the fox's eyes as it gazed at the eight-year-old Sasuke dressed in t-shirt and shorts. "You're certainly a surprise."

The child tipped his head, obsidian eyes and mouth creased with a small frown. "Kitsune-san?"

"Who told you of demons?"

At this Sasu-kun smiled again, for the fox was talking with him rather than at him or just to aniue. "Kaasan, Aniki and the creepy snake-man." Sasu-kun's nose scrunched in dislike when he mentioned Orochimaru.

"Do you not fear me?" the demon-fox hid its surprise and blatant interest beneath a cool exterior.

"Aniue says not to be scared of people or things just because we don't understand them."

Sasu-kun looked up at his older form and grinned delightedly when Sasuke gave him a small nod. The teenaged shinobi returned his attention to the cage.

"Some wise words, human." The compliant was meant to induce overconfidence and undermine the human's dominance of the conversation.

Sasuke just shrugged carelessly. "I observe. I learn. I apply."

Irritation crept into the being's semi-relaxed form. It must have been ages since the demon sparred words with a worthy opponent and it did not like having little influence. The fox's expression suddenly lit with devious intent.

"Ask me what you will but choose carefully," it paused to savour the moment, "for I know there is only one other."

They had finally arrived at the crux of why he was here and Sasuke was enjoying every minute of this encounter. "Whose is the conscience you share mind-space with?"

"A human."

Dark laughter issued from the fox-demon who was utterly entertained by besting the boy on the last round.

There was no movement or reaction on Sasuke's part to indicate how the vague answer affected him. In truth the ex-Konoha genius suspected the creature would hand over minimal details to satisfy the deal they had made. It was a contest of wills between two cunning individuals after all.

He was not fazed in the slightest and initiated the secondary plan concocted upon discovering the demon in this mind. The commands conveyed were strict and their acknowledgement was a curt 'done' and a burst of excitement along the jutsu connections.

"I see that a fox can not pass the chance to screw one over."

The brusque observation and another's presence served as a quick dampener on the demon's mirth, proving that their mere existence could command anyone's attention. The spirit took time his gaze to rake over the cloned form in a gi and loose trousers, smirking when he recognised the irises gazing back at him.

"Ah, you're of the Uchiha. Now I know what you are, I'll congratulate you on an impressive growth this young." A low rumbling pulsated throughout the chamber, the fox undoubtedly the epicentre of the mounting tension that was previously ignored. White fang flashed, black orbs closing briefly. "I wonder whether you have mastered some of the powers of that accursed sharingan you wear so blatantly."

Sasuke let the words spouted by demon since the revealing of Uchiha-sama to seep in for a moment. There was a lot of information those three sentences, if one was knowledgeable on the subject it just breached.

"You know of the sharingan?" he asked flatly.

It snorted and looked down conceitedly at the human. "Your forsaken ancestry is not unknown to me."

"That knowledge…" the young shinobi was not one to trail off, but he countered it strongly and certainly. "It would make you undoubtedly Kyuubi no Kitsune."

"What of it?" it sneered, at ease with the lead of the conversation currently in its possession.

"Haughty for a creature shackled to a mere human." The nonchalance present in Uchiha-sama's tone did not detract from the incredibly intimidating vacant stare he sent the demon.

"You're not immune" it waved a giant paw indicating the area outside the cage, "prancing around his mind."

Sasuke's expression was smug, looking reminiscent of the cat that just caught the annoying bird and stole the bucket of cream. "Neither are you." The demon was quiet, obviously contemplating its limited options and hating the dark haired boy who knew it. "Tell me the name of this subconscious."

"So you can kill him?" the fox titled its muzzle, scoffing. "I refuse to die."

"Stop toying with Kitsune-san, aniue."

The demon's head snapped away from the two older Uchihas at the child's raised interjection. It must have been really distracted to have not noticed when the brat had left Sasuke's side, but now he was by the wall on the other side of the cavernous chamber.

"You found them?" Sasuke asked, glancing over his shoulder to his more innocent self, who lifted small arms in uncertainty.

A petite hand flicked out to indicate something. "I found a door."

The sealed fox was indignant at the child's terminology. "Toying?.!" it snarled.

Sasuke didn't bother reacting, preferring to leave the demon in the capable hands of Uchiha-sama, whom was more than fine with the idea. Uchiha-sama rested haunting crimson eyes on the fox spirit. The mind was an abstruse place but the presence of chakra and depth of its strength could be felt. Uchiha-sama drew upon his personality's nature which - merely as an aura - could induce heart pounding fear. He tapped the well of chakra residing within Sasuke's body and let it condense around his mind form, pushing solidly against the cage.

The effect was almost immediate for the demon was a being of pure chakra. It could feel the stunning malice the energy was fuelled by and it hissed out. "Chakra more sinister than -"

"Save it fox" Sasuke cut across the creature, his back already facing it and disregarding the actions and dark presence of Uchiha-sama.

The demon would not submit willingly without a last rebellion. "Insolent human."

The words were lingered unheard by the young nuke-nin as his attention centred wholly on Sasu-kun and his discovery opposite the fox's cage. Sasuke halted by the child, eyeing the inconspicuous door separating them from whoever or whatever was on the other side.

"You haven't been through yet?"

At this, Sasu-kun's gaze flickered to the dank walls lining the chamber. "Don't like the look of this mind-space." The child stared endearingly at Sasuke. "I waited for you. Anything could be behind the door."

The shinobi held out his hand for the other to claim, too accustomed to his younger personality's instincts to be surprised. Together they gravitated to the portal and the older one twisted the knob, pushing inwards.

The door swung open silently to reveal the space beyond. Sasuke hadn't really expected anything but he would have never guessed the mind-environment to appear as a messy bedroom. It was vastly different to the sewer-like cavern holding the Kyuubi at their backs. Now seeing there was nothing scary, Sasu-kun pulled the pale nuke-nin over to the lump on the occupied bed and grinned.

"Sugoi aniue, it's him." The child whispered so not to wake the owner of mind they were invading.

Dark irises flitted back to the door as he muttered to himself. "I see, so he was your secret power all along."

Sasu-kun raised gentle fingers and brushed back the blonde fringe falling into the other's tanned face.

"It's hard to believe that something like that existed inside you, Uzumaki Naruto."

The nuke-nin breathed lightly as he was assaulted with several images of them barely genin. Sasuke signalled the eight-year-old to move away from the bed, squatting down to the child's level when Sasu-kun reappeared at his side. They both kept to soft voices as Naruto's level of awareness in his own mind was uncertain.

"The dobe shouldn't have hidden this from me."

A forlorn smile quivered on Sasu-kun's lips. "We won't have to hurt him, will we aniue? I like Naruto."

"No we won't." He ruffled the child's dark locks and smirked, leading Sasu-kun back to Uchiha-sama, who was standing impassively outside the door. "But I'm not going to make it easy for him either."

Uchiha-sama stepped closer to the pair. "Let's see how well Uzumaki can deal with us."


. . . T B C . . .

6 tatami room – the size and layout of the room is equal to 6 tatami mats

I hope I didn't confuse anybody with Sasu-kun's language but these 2 are to help clear things up.
Aniki (elder brother) – how Sasu-kun refers to Itachi
Aniue (honourable older brother) – how Sasu-kun refers to Sasuke

Comments please!
Sign up to rate and review this story