Categories > Original > Romance > Vivian

Chapter 3

by Skye 0 reviews

Love Always, S

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-02-02 - Updated: 2008-02-02 - 2008 words

0Unrated
After 50 slow, insipid, minutes of listening to Mrs. Nixon go on about the Mayans and the Aztecs, the bell finally rings. Three people jump out of their slumber, and a couple people just plain jump do to the fact that they were so into whatever they were daydreaming about. I walk out the door and down the hallway to my locker. I'm really thankful that Dixxie isn't there waiting for my explanation. I open my locker and pull out my gym bag. I see Dixxie coming towards me in the corner of my eye, and pretend that I hadn't. I turn and walk down the hall in the opposite direction. I really don't feel like explaining myself at the moment. I take a left and then a right, walking across the gym to the locker rooms. I pull off my uniform and put on my gym clothes, an ugly plain white shirt with the Cabot Lion stitched on the top right side, and royal blue shorts. I take off my black flats, required for every girl to wear, and put on my plain white keds, also required for every girl to wear. Man, why did public schools have to be so specific?

The locker room is full by the time I'm finished changing. I hate full locker rooms. It's so cramped, and if you're in the girls locker room it starts to stink after a while from all the different perfume scents flying around. I jostle my way through the crowd of girls. I walk over to the bleachers and sit and wait for Coach Hodson to inform the class that it's time to stretch, when really the whole class already knows it's time to stretch but pretend they don't and pray he forgets. The bleachers are hard, considering they're made of wood. That's the thing I love most about my school. Everything is so antique. The smell is even antique. Coach Hodson finally enters the gym, and just as I predicted, he informs the class that it's time to stretch.

"Three laps people! Let's go!," he shouts, blowing that stupid whistle of his. I get up from the bleachers and join the rest of the class. I'll be honest, running around the gym three times isn't really the most thrilling part of my life. After running around in circles like a hamster with nothing better to do, we stretch. Well, Ian and I stretch anyways. I guess no one else cares if they pull a muscle and have to sit out. I have some suspicion though, that that's the whole point of not stretching. Having to sit out, I mean.

Today just happens to be my lucky day! We're playing volleyball! Again! I love volleyball.....NOT! I absolutely antagonize volleyball! Every time the ball comes to me, I end up just standing there, allowing it to land right in front of me. Or, if I'm really having a good day, it'll land on my head! Sorry, but I really don't understand what's so fun about having a bunch of giant white balls thrown at me from the other side of the net. I guess it would be fun if I actually knew how to play. Coach hands us the ball and says "Go play volleyball!". Way to do your job Coach.

"Now, we're going to continue on with volleyball for the rest of the week," he says. I'm now truly convinced that God hates me. "Today, the team captains will pick teams, and they will be stuck with the people they have chosen until we are finished with volleyball. So, pick someone good," he says, grinning. To my right, Holden laughs at Coach Hodson's "joke". He idolizes Coach Hodson and thinks he's incredibly hilarious. Well, that makes one of us.

"Daniels! You're red captain. Pick a girl to be captain for the blue team," he orders. Ian walks to the front of the group and points to me saying,"Vivian."

My heart does a backflip. Whether it's because he knows my name, or that he picked me, I'm not sure. Honestly, I don't really care. He picked me! Out of all the other girls here he picked me! I probably shouldn't be flattering myself like this. Most likely, the only reason he picked me is to have a guarantee that I won't be on his team, considering I suck so badly. We pick our teams and the game begins.

It seems to me that everyone on the other team got together and decided to hit the ball to me every chance they could get, because that's what they did. So, of course, the game went by pretty fast. 9 to 25. I really need to work on my volleyball skills. Right after I get Tivo. I go to the locker rooms and change back into my uniform. A white, long sleeved, undershirt (/with/ a collar, as undershirts without them or unacceptable), a royal blue corduroy jacket with a royal blue tie, and a white and royal blue plaid skirt. I pull on the skirt and flatten it out. I walk up to the mirror, and push my way to the front. I put my hair up in a pony tail and tie it with a blue ribbon. I pull on my white knee-high socks and then my black flats. I walk back out to the gym and return to my spot on the bleachers and wait for the bell to ring.

I look to the left and notice that Ian is sitting about 5 feet away from me, reading a book. I look at the clock. I have about five minutes until the bell rings. Just enough time to ask someone to help me get my french grade out of the dump. But, he's reading. I don't really want to bother him do I? Quit making excuses and just do it you chicken! Well, I don't know.. Just get it over with! I continue to fight with myself for a while longer. When I finally decide to just get it over with, it's too late. The bell rings and everyone at once squeezes through the gym doors and heads off to their next class. You idiot! You could have had it over with! But no! You just had to be a weiner! I hate the smart side of me. It's always right.

I head back to my locker and open it. I quickly throw my gym bag back inside and head to the library. I know it's not very friendlike to avoid your friend all day, but I would really rather not walk into the library sobbing my eyes out. Mrs. Lain would definitely ask questions, leading to more sobbing. So, I figure it's better to just avoid that part of the day. I walk down the stairs to the first floor and into the library. The library is my favorite part of the school. It's so old and fancy. It makes me think of the huge library the Beast gives to Belle in “Beauty and the Beast”. That's part of the reason I agreed to be Mrs. Lain's assistant. However, I would have thought twice if I'd know that Ian Daniels also agreed to help her out during seventh period.

Ian is already there when I walk in. He's even got half his stack of books put away. What can I say? The man doesn't mess around. I walk up to the trolly and take a handful of the books in my pile. I have M through Z. I walk to the middle of the library and start putting books back where they belong. I walk back to the trolly and pick up another handful of books. I put them away and grab the remaining books. After that, I grab a rag and dust off the M throught Z book shelves. By the time I'm done, Ian is already finished and working on....Calculus it looks like. I have 15 minutes left of class, and this is the perfect opportunity. We're all alone, that way if he rejects me, I won't have an audience to witness it. Slowly, I walk up to him, thinking of a new way to start with each shaky step. I take a deep breath and finish the last couple steps. He doesn't even seem to notice I'm there.

"Um, hey Reid!," I say.

He looks up from his Calculus book and looks at me. Right when he does, I want to run as far as I can in the opposite direction. But, I make myself stay put. "Hey, Vivian," he says. And then he smiles. I suddenly feel really hot and I know my face is stop sign red.

"Um, I met your sister today," I say. Ok, now quit saying 'um'

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. She's really nice," I say. See? That wasn't so hard. I really hate that stupid voice.

"Yeah. She can be a pain sometimes," he says.

"No way. She's really sweet. But, um, why wasn't she wearing a uniform?," I ask. OMG! Your french grade is sinking, remember?

"Oh, she hates them. So, she's protesting. I don't really fancy them much myself. I don't think anyone does. I think she should use her time to help people in Africa who don't even have clothes, let alone school uniforms. But, hey, if she wants to waste her time trying to get rid of the uniforms, which is most likely not going to happen, then I say "Go for it!"," he says. So she is a protester.

"Yeah, they're really hot in the summer. They could at least give us short sleeves," I say.

"Vivian. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you didn't come over here to talk about my sister and the school uniforms," he says. Wow! He's good. I stare at him in astonishment.

"Am I really that transparent?," I ask.

"Well, not a lot of people get nervous when they're talking to someone about their sister. Unless, of course she did something really bad, you caught her in the act, and she threatened to kill you in your sleep if you told anyone," he says. "But, Grace would never do that. She's sweet, remember?" I stare at him for a couple seconds then realize my jaw is hanging.

"Um, well. You're right. I didn't come over here to talk about your sister and school uniforms," I admit.

"So, why are you here?," he asks

"Can't a girl make some new friends around here?" He doesn't answer. Instead he just stares at me, one eyebrow raised. "Fine. The truth is, well, my french grade is in the dump and I can't get it out by myself and you’re the best french student in this whole stupid school and I would really, really, appreciate it if you would help me," I say, finally taking a breath.

"Sorry, I can't help you," he says, almost at the exact same time I stop talking.

"What?! You didn't even think about it!," I say.

"Oh, um, let me think about it. Ok, nope, sorry I can't help you," he says, turning his attention back to his Calculus.

"Why not?," I ask.

"I don't have time. I'm a very busy guy, Vivian. A VIP actually," he says, not looking up from his work. I can't believe this! A /VIP/? What a load of crap! I've never seen him go anywhere! I'm not even sure he has any friends! Every time I see him, he's alone! I was just about to inform him of this when the bell rings. I let out a shriek of annoyance and slap my hand down on his book, causing it, and all the papers inside it, to go flying across the room. "What the hell!?," he says. I stick my nose up in the air and walk out the door, not even caring that I just made myself look like a spoiled brat in front of the only guy I've ever had a crush on in my life.
Sign up to rate and review this story