Categories > Anime/Manga > Bleach > Tough

Not Enough

by Smichiko 0 reviews

Chad's strong fists aren't enough.

Category: Bleach - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Chado Yasutora,Kurosaki Karin - Published: 2008-02-22 - Updated: 2008-02-22 - 560 words

0Unrated
Chad's hair was falling into his face, but he hardly noticed it.

He looked down at his fists, the ones that were supposed to protect--the ones that were supposed to protect /her/. But they'd failed him. He'd failed her.

"Don't be stupid," she was saying, as if she knew exactly what he was thinking. Chad marveled at how she berated him in that voice, just like she always did...even though blood was running down the side of her face, and she didn't seem able to move much.

"I told you already--I don't need to be protected," she insisted, her voice breaking as a series of coughs overcame her.

Where is Inoue-san? At this rate...

Chad's mind was racing, but he didn't respond. He didn't want her to get the impression that anything was wrong. He was very glad that his hair was hiding his eyes--he was afraid of what she might see if she could see them.

Chad crouched down next to her. His arm was very sore, but he ignored it. He took Karin's hand--she looked surprised for a moment, but soon found her voice.

"Don't go getting all sappy on me," she scoffed, trying to grin at him. "If I told you there was a sick little bunny rabbit around the corner, would you forget all about me?" she teased, her mouth turning into a thin line as she fought back the pain.

Chad didn't say anything; he just sat there stoically, like he always did. He did, however, allow himself a small smile. Karin smiled back. For Chad, that was a lot.

She squeezed his hand--hard, as if to say that she wasn't going to give up so easily. She wasn't sure, but she thought Chad looked a bit more hopeful after that. Soon Ichigo's little friend would be here, and would fix her, just like last time. Karin focused on his face, struggling to keep her eyes open. /Just another minute or so, and then everything will be okay...he worries about everyone else too much...he should be more worried about himself/, she thought, noting the way that he cradled his arm.

After what felt like ages, Inoue finally arrived. Chad jumped up to greet her, almost glad that Ichigo wasn't here to see his little sister like this. They didn't exchange words; Orihime immediately fell to her knees beside Karin and began working.

Chad could tell from the way she was sweating that she was working very hard. He also noticed the way her brows were furrowed together, like she was worried. He paced on the other side of Karin, hoping that his mind was just playing tricks on him. Orihime looked up for a moment, observing the way he was wringing his hands in front of him. She'd never seen Chad do that.

Maybe that's what made it so hard to tell him. She placed a hand on his shoulder (quite a reach, for her), thinking that it might help, but he didn't seem to notice it. She was thankful--for his sake, anyway--that it started to rain then. It didn't escape her notice that his face had already been moist, but she didn't want to make it any more painful for him than it already was.

She didn't say anything, and neither did he. Somehow, she felt that words just weren't enough.
Sign up to rate and review this story