Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > My Heart It Can't Contain It ...

Chapter One

by Redrox

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: NC-17 - Genres: Fantasy,Horror,Romance - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Warnings: [V] [X] [R] [?] - Published: 2008-03-04 - Updated: 2008-05-23 - 972 words

?Blocked
‘God Kelsey why couldn’t you just do your chores?’ The darkness enclosed the hallway outside generator room 12. It was almost tapping at the glass mocking Rachel, begging her to open the door and lend her body to its twisted sense of reality. ‘No it’s all good they won’t come in here, they can’t come after you it’s light up above Rachel shook her head, trying to snap out of her paranoia. ‘The room is lit with three freakin’ lamps now put the engine head back on and you can go.’
The room was filed with metal clinking as she finished reattaching the engine head.
“So the moment of truth,” she said to herself.
Holding her breath she started it.
TAP, TAP, TAP
“Shit! Stupid bloody Kelsey!”
She gave it an almighty kick and stumbled back in pain. After cursing a lot she hobbled back to the engine and tried again.
CLICK, CLICK, WHURRRRRR.
The motor started humming away, feeding its energy back into the depleted batteries. The hallway lights began to flicker and slowly began to get brighter. The darkness had been banished, for now…
Rachel sat for a moment and had lunch, it was 1:02pm; the sun would be at the highest point in the sky right now. She gathered up her tools and checked her .38 was still in its holster on her leg. ‘Good all set’ she switched off the generator and walked down the now darkening hallway without looking back. Opening the door she breathed fresh air as the light from the sun beat down on her naturally pale face. She closed her eyes and sighed, letting her anxiety disperse into the air and shrivel up. She opened her grey-rimmed blue eyes,
“Home James, and don’t spare the horses,” she said to no-one in particular as she unlocked the car.
The black Land Rover cruised down Victor Harbour Road doing 170km/hr. ‘Lucky there aren’t any cops around’ she snickered to her self.
The song she was listening finished and the car went silent. The smile slid off of her face. There weren’t any cops around any more, or schools (not too much of a loss there), or hospitals, or concerts, or sports; except for the odd game of football with the girls. It had been 6 years since western civilization had walked the shores of Australia. The eastern states were the first to fall. The darkness spread across the continent from there, consuming or absorbing everything in its path. Adelaide was no exception. The world watched as the panic, fear and ‘everyone for themselves’ policy kicked off in Sydney first. The government and military could only do so much. They tried to contain it, but by the time it got to Melbourne they gave up and moved to evacuating as many people as they could. Rachel doubted anyone was still ‘alive’ down there. She did have hope for the Northern Territory and farmers living in the most remote parts of the outback.
Adelaide experienced all the fear and panic when it hit, but something that still amazed her was that it wasn’t individual fighting individual to survive. It was groups. People seemed to congregate towards one another, creating groups of people consisting of the weak and the strong, the smart and the clueless. It seemed to work in the beginning. Most left in huge convoys heading as far west as they could hoping to get to an evacuation point. Others attacked the plague that overran us to no avail. Huge numbers were blown away. They were dead before they hit the floor.
Rachel thought of her family, she hoped they were still safe. Her parents had been out of the country, visiting family. She had to stay behind to study for her final exam coming up. They had moved out to Adelaide from London, England when she was eleven. Her parents had visited Australia during their honeymoon and fell in love with it. It didn’t take long for her to love it too. She was thrilled to go, to explore another country, to open up and make friends. Something she had been denied in England. The bulling had almost destroyed her, it taught her to bottle up her emotions and put on a face to survive. But she was free in Australia. She made friends that were a lot like her. Manic people who were either known in her high school as freaks, geeks or both. Her friendship group formed out of all the ‘left-overs’; people who were cast out from the normal cliques and they all fit together like a puzzle. They brought out all her qualities and emotions, the good, bad, ugly and necessary. Being loud, proud, defensive and a little bit demanding she was the most popular rumor subject for the school. But that didn’t matter to her because she had them. They shared music, dreams, fears and happiness together. They conquered things together, like their ‘depression stage’. Luckily that stage passed for the three people in the group who went through it. Rachel came off the pills when she was 18. Her friends were her heart, soul, medication, highs, lows, home and the scaffolding that held her up. But they were gone now, mainly taken by one of the darkness’s worst qualities. The blood camps. Rachel was the only one to survive out of her group only carrying on for them and because of what her best friend had said to her …
Rachel wanted to cry, the last time had been when Amy died. She didn’t though she had to be strong for everyone. Her scaffolding was gone now, so she reverted to what she done before to survive. She bottled it up, hoping that one day someone strong enough could open it…
Sign up to rate and review this story