Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Alone in the Heart

Dead in the Heart

by lagpcg 0 reviews

Kagome is bleeding. Not from any cuts, but a broken heart. How long can she bear the guilt before she caves in?

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Inuyasha,Kagome,Miroku,Naraku,Sango,Shippo - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2008-03-11 - Updated: 2008-03-11 - 1804 words - Complete

0Unrated
Inuyasha’s POV

I was so worried about Kagome that instead of following Naraku’s scent, I waited for Kagome just outside the clearing. She eventually stumbled to me, started swearing, and then fell into my arms crying again. Before I could stop myself, my arms had tightened around her. I guess that made her feel better, ‘cause she dried her eyes and we headed to Naraku’s castle.

The reason Kagome started swearing was probably because I had told her that it was going to be the new moon. Naraku had probably planned that from the start. Luckily, it was morning, so if we got there before sunset, we might just have a chance of recovering Shippo. Things just kept on delaying my confession, and I knew that if this was a trap, then we weren’t going to get out of it that easily.

We found Naraku’s castle very quickly. Now I knew that this was a trap. Naraku would never be so clumsy as to drop his barriers. He probably has Kagura and Kanna waiting inside for us, I thought. As we swooped down, we passed through without any troubles. But there was nothing inside. It was way too quiet.

Kagome’s POV

Inuyasha and I were almost at Naraku’s barrier, but what if the barriers stopped us? How were we going to escape if it was a trap? I knew that Inuyasha was probably thinking the same thing. I couldn’t stand to see anyone else get hurt because of me. If I hadn’t left Shippo alone in the forest, none of this would have happened.

Inuyasha did know what I was thinking, because when I felt the drops welling up again, he told me not to blame myself. How couldn’t I? Then I noticed we were actually inside Naraku’s barrier. Why hadn’t I noticed? Was I going insane with grief? Just then, we all heard a noise that sounded like something dead slithering across the ground. What we saw coming around the corner was disgusting!

It smelled of rotting flesh, and the face was that of Naraku. The body looked like it was made of the dead bodies of hundreds of people. And it was holding Shippo. Inuyasha launched at Naraku, slicing off the tentacle holding Shippo. Shippo was unconscious, but he at least had a heartbeat. I went to shoot a sacred arrow at Naraku. As the arrow flew through the air, a tentacle knocked it aside. It fell off afterward, but as I watched, another tentacle headed straight for Inuyasha. It struck him in the chest, then pulled out and struck his stomach.

Blood everywhere, Inuyasha collapsed. The last thing he said before becoming completely still was “I love you!”. I was shocked, the appalled. The thing I felt pounding through my veins was now not blood, but hatred and revenge. I shot another arrow. It hit Naraku's throat, and he looked surprised in the moment just before dissolving into dust. But Inuyasha was still lying there.

And my heart was breaking in two.

Third Person POV

Miroku was completely unsure about Naraku’s death. He had, after all, pulled over 50 fake deaths just like this. But the look on the demon’s face was different from the puppets of the past. It looked like it hadn’t meant for this to happen. Miroku left for the woods, to be able to try the wind-tunnel without hurting anyone. Sango noticed Miroku walking off. ’Where is he going?’ she wondered to herself. She walked behind him, and was about to tap him on the shoulder. But she suddenly realized this type of behavior. He was going to check on the curse in his right hand. Sango felt a blush creeping up her face at the hint of a memory. She grasped at it, and caught the words in her mind.

“Sango, if this war with Naraku is ever over, would you come live with me? Would you bear my child, Sango?”

She hid behind a tree, and watched as he slowly unwound the prayer beads. Miroku lifted up the flap of cloth, and heard a gasp from around him as no hole was revealed. “Who’s there? Come out now!” he shouted. Or rather, would have shouted, if Sango hadn’t run up to him and kissed him full on the lips.

Miroku’s POV

So my wind-tunnel was gone. Just then, I heard a gasp from somewhere in the clearing. I was about to yell for the mysterious person to show themselves, but my words sort of faded into a contented “Mmmf…” as Sango came up to me and pressed her mouth against mine. Now I was confused. “Uh… Sango? Are you alright?” I inquired in a curious sort of tone. She smiled sweetly as she hugged me so tight to her skintight fighting uniform. I couldn’t resist, even though I knew I was going to get hurt. I slid my hand around to her well shaped… you know, then squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the pain. Nothing happened. I opened my eyes, blinked about a hundred times, and then said “What have you done with Sango? Are you some demon who takes on the guises of others?”. She giggled, then replied “I am Sango, but I don’t need to hurt you anymore. Because of the promise that’s kept me alive. I want to bear your child, Miroku!” I gaped as I realized that this couldn’t be a demon. Sango was the only one who knew about that! I smiled, and leaned down to pick her up. I was so happy; I swung her around in my arms, and then kissed her again. She looked content, but I remembered the situation. I reminded Sango, and she appeared uncomfortable as she ran back to the bloody scene with me.

The thing that first caught my eyes was a blood covered miko, leaning over a blood covered hanyou. The latter wasn’t moving.

Sango’s POV

I loved Miroku more than anything as he swung me around in his arms, but we came back to reality soon enough. We lurched towards the terrible scene as fast as we could, and we spotted Kagome pouring tears over Inuyasha's still body. What was worse, the sun was setting, and silver hair was fading to gray. Fangs and claws were dulling, ears were sliding. And blood was pouring. I fetched Kagome’s bandages, as she looked too exhausted to even move much more than a couple of steps. She clung to Inuyasha, would not let him go, until I pried her off of him. Even then, she hugged his arm to her face. I wrapped the bandages around Inuyasha’s midsection. “At least he’s still breathing, that’s a good sign.” I told her in a voice which said different. Her body was still wracked with sobbing fits. And every time a tear touched Inuyasha, he moaned and stirred. Miroku had to pin him down. But Kagome, as it turned out, was tired. She fell asleep tucked tight into the crook of his neck and arm. As soon as she was still, Inuyasha also settled.

About halfway to the nearest village, Shippo groaned, and woke up. I pulled him into my grasp, and I kissed his forehead. “Where’s Kagome? Is she okay? What happened?” he let out in a burst of concern. I told him everything that had happened, ending with” So you can’t go with Kagome tonight, she needs to be with Inuyasha.” He nodded and lay down in my lap. I almost slapped Miroku, when I caught him looking jealous, but I remembered in time to stop myself. He grinned, and leaned in to capture my lips with his. We kept it going for a long time, and I started daydreaming. Which ended with Miroku laughing at the faraway expression on my face. “Thinking about us?” He questioned half-jokingly. I turned beet red as I realized he had said /us/, and I turned away to hide it.

Kagome’s POV
I was torn apart inside. First Shippo and now Inuyasha. I felt Inuyasha’s chest struggle to rise for each breath. I was still in shock over what I heard him shout. I stuck to him for what felt like hours, as my tears sapped my energy. I eventually fell asleep doing what I hated.

When I woke up, we were in Kaede’s hut. And Inuyasha was beside me wearing new bandages. But his skin was ashy grey. The only thing that told me he was still alive was the faint feel of his heartbeat against me. I began to slip out of his hands, but he began to squeeze me harder to his side. Kaede walked in and I looked at her questioningly. “The tentacle that struck him was filled with Naraku’s miasma.” she provided,” and his instincts know that you are purifying it.” I nodded in understanding. She left to fetch some breakfast, and I looked at Inuyasha’s face. His eyebrows, usually lowered in anger or concern, were in a neutral position. And his long eyelashes made him look so much like a boy band member or something. And his jaw, while not square, really said that its owner was strong. But the mouth. So sweet and… um, well, how do I put this? It’s not like I knew or anything, but he looked like a good kisser…/EW! What am I thinking like that for?/ I watched, almost amused, as Inuyasha’s ears twitched under my breath. Whoa! When did I get close enough that he can feel my breath? But soon my despair overran my embarrassment. I leaned closer, so that my head rested over Inuyasha’s heart. The rhythm was still sluggish, and his breathing sounded worse by the minute. I lay there, praying to whatever god could hear me to keep Inuyasha alive. But as I lay there, I realized with a jolt that there was no longer a breath. No pumping of the heart. At that moment, my heart almost stopped. I did CPR on him, panicking the entire time. My tears began to flow freely once more as I knew I couldn’t do anything. I cast my blurry gaze around the room, looking for something, /anything/, and I spied what I needed. I picked up the dagger, and used what seemed way less cheesy than ‘Goodbye, cruel world!’. I sobbed once more at the sight of the hanyou lying lifeless on the floor, then screamed out “If you’re not here, then I’ll join you in the afterlife!”

I plunged the dagger towards myself.

CLIFFIE!WOOT!
PLEASE REVIEW, IT'S MY FIRST FANFIC!
Sign up to rate and review this story