Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Dead On Arrival

sugar, we're going down swinging ..

by watch_the_sky 1 review

another update =)

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: R - Genres:  - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-03-19 - Updated: 2008-03-20 - 1480 words - Complete

0Unrated
It started simple, a lingering moment of silence, followed by a frustrated and slighting embarrassed sighed, finished up with “it’s me” because honestly, who else would it be?

“I’m not sure if this is going to be weird …” Of course it was going to be weird, they both knew it, but Ana let the obvious slide as the voicemail continued playing in her ear, “but we’re doing a secret show sort of thing this week and the guys think that it would be cool if you could come out and do a few rolls for us. It’s probably going to be the last one for a while so Pete wants to preserve the memories and all that; you know how he is.”

Ana knew exactly how he was, she also wasn’t dense; it was Pete’s idea and had almost had to force Patrick to make the phone call, all obvious by the tone and hesitation in Patrick’s voice as he sighed lightly, before continuing with the message.

“It’s on Thursday, and it would be nice if you could do it; it would be nice to see you. I mean, I’m uh, I’m sorry if that’s weird it’s just …”

It broke her heart to hear his voice trail off; she counted out loud, 9 full seconds of heartbreaking silence before his voice picked back up. After a solid month apart, it seemed to be getting much worse before getting better would even become an option.

“I miss you banana, and I was thinking that maybe we can at least try to be friends. After all, that’s how we got here today. So, just let me know and we’ll figure something out.”

After a 4 year hiatus putting a strain on not only their potential for a relationship but their overall friend, Ana and Patrick had both severely overestimated their ability to cope without one another. It had been 1 month, 2 weeks and 4 days after their break up; Ana had returned the ring and shattered both their hearts, and now, she was shuffling through the boarding gate, in an airport somewhere in upstate New York. Maybe it was Patrick’s voice or Pete’s sweet talking abilities and over abundance of charm that had made her agree to this trip; or maybe it was the text messages that Travis and Pete had sent her on a nearly hourly basis, regardless, she was here, so it was time to make the most of an unfortunate situation.

Anxiety was never her friend, but in the face of embarrassment and the potential for all things awkward, her heart rate kicked into overdrive as she scanned the less than bustling crowd surrounding the boarding gate.

“Wow Bella, you look … different.” The sound of his voice was far more relieving at this moment that it had ever been or would ever be again. Spinning on her heels to catch his eye, she bit her lit lightly to hold back the smirk that was emerging.

“Wow Pete you look … well, you look like you did when I saw you on the cover of US Weekly 2 days ago.”

With a shrug and a smile, Pete followed her as she sauntered off in search of the luggage claim, “I guess I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“So I’m not really sure if someone of your sex-symbol status is safe being out in public alone” Ana raised a curious and mildly concerned eyebrow, “Who allowed this to happen?”

“Ha, you’re funny.” Pete scoffed lightly as he struggled to pull Ana’s bag from the revolving conveyor belt, “Diaz is in the van outside and honestly, it’s the middle of the afternoon in God-knows-where New York, who here even cares enough to recognize me?”

Ana shrugged and nodded in understanding as Pete pulled her luggage bag behind him, ushering her towards the exit. The hood of his sweatshirt was pulled up to cover his face, and she knew there was a smirk playing on his lips, even if she couldn’t see it, she could hear it in his voice.

“He’s far too terrified to have picked you up himself.” There was amusement in his voice, but Ana ignored it, releasing a sigh of relief as he answered the question she was far too embarrassed to ask, “He’s got that same look in his eyes that you had the moment you thought you were going to have to face him when you got off of the plane.”

Pete was smirking in plain view now as he hauled her luggage into the back of the van, “Yeah don’t worry about it; this is going to be totally awkward in every possible way.”

“Thanks Pete” Ana rolled her eyes as she climbed in behind him, smiling happily at the man in the driver’s seat, “You sure know how to help the situation.”

1 month, 2 weeks and 4 days; it wasn’t like Patrick was counting, except that he totally was and that at that very moment he was pacing the floor of his slide-out make-shift bedroom. Hemmingway was trailing his feet, tripping over his little paws as he tried to keep up with every step, stumbling into and around Patrick’s legs with each new lap. Pete would pick up his once girlfriend who was here to spend the next 2 days on the bus in total awkwardness, and Patrick would watch the dog while Pete went to the airport; obviously it was a totally fair trade.

Pete had a habit of slamming the bus door behind him every time he entered or exited Patrick and Andy’s bus. It was a purposeful habit to aggravate the bus’ inhabitants and inform them of his arrival or departure; but this time, it was on purpose as he stumbled into the lounge with a suitcase trailing behind him and a carry-on slung heavily over his shoulder. It was odd to Pete for Patrick to not have busted through the bedroom door the moment the door slammed, as he normally would, but Pete then remembered there should be a visitor trailing behind him; it was sad he knew all of Patrick’s tricks.

“Dude, you can come out; she’s not in here!” Pete called out as he dropped Ana’s bags on the couch before immediately heading to the refrigerator, hoping there was something edible, and preferably vegan-unfriendly that he could smuggle.

Patrick’s bedroom door slide open a moment later and a nervous, sweating Patrick emerged with pursed lips and confusion in his eyes. Pete grabbed the bag of string cheese that he had found stashed on the bottom shelf and immediately began unwrapping the individually wrapped treats; disregarding the refrigerator door or his confusion and anxious counterpart.

“She’s with Travis” There was strands of cheese filling his mouth now and there was no way he was paying attention to the disgusting looks Patrick was casting in his direction; not in the presence of such a delightful food find, but he knew Patrick, there was a reason they were best friends. “He kidnapped her before I could bring her to you. But hey, on the bright side, you have another few minutes to not freak out, you crazy bitch.”

Pete frowned heavily when he had finally turned to face Patrick, strings of cheese mashing between his teeth, “I’m eating your cheese and dude, change your shirt! Only you could make pacing the room a full-fledged aerobic workout.”

“We have sex” Patrick scoffed as he began unbuttoning his currently damp shirt, “She knows how nervous I get, and how much I sweat; I think it’s more weird if I’m not sweaty.”

“You HAD sex” Pete correcting, stashing another packet of cheese in his sweatshirt pocket, saving it for the road before tossing the bag back on the shelf and graciously shutting the cooler door.

“Thanks for reminding me that I no longer have sexual intercourse with the love of my life” Patrick rolled his eyes sarcastically, “And thank you for reopening some wounds that she tore open when she left me a month ago.”

“A month …” Pete inquired, posing without technically posing the question.

Patrick raised an eyebrow as he emerged from the bedroom, clad now in a much dryer shirt.

“One month …” Pete repeated, waiting for Patrick to fess up to the unfinished statement.

“Yeah, one month.” Patrick nodded.

“One month …”

“2 weeks and 4 days!” Patrick finally gave in with a huff and an embarrassed tint of red taking home on his cheeks, “Happy?”

Pete smirked and nodded happily, tossing his wrappers in the garbage and shoving the last of his dairy delights into his mouth, nodding towards the steps and mumbling with a mouth full of mozzarella, “Let’s go get this awkward extravaganza rolling!”
Sign up to rate and review this story