Categories > Original > Fantasy > Eternal Requiem

Arrangement 2: Linked Souls

by MangekyoChidori2089 0 reviews

The two strangers are now on their own. But is Sai really willing to have Jessie stick around? Or will he just leave her to be alone again?

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-03-23 - Updated: 2008-04-16 - 3470 words

0Unrated
Eternal Requiem

A.N.: This belongs to me and my friend, so don’t steal it, onegai!

Arrangement 2: Linked Souls

Sai walked over to a small sleeping figure huddled up on the ground.

“Wake up,” he said, lightly shaking the figure with his foot. It twitched slightly and turned on the ground to face Sai. Jessie squinted her eyes having looked directly into the sunlight, seeing Sai’s form standing over her. She lazily sat up and let out a long, tired yawn.

Sai walked back to the fire he had made the previous night and grabbed a few strips of meat impaled on his sword. It was lucky Sai had come across a deer earlier, and even luckier he was able to catch and kill it. He tossed the meat onto Jessie’s lap. “Eat. It will still be a while before we reach the next town, so you’ll need your energy.”

Jessie silently complied, savoring the well cooked meat. She watched Sai once again take his cloak and shirt off to check his wound, unable to stop her blushing. The Devil-Human took off his bandage and tossed it aside, revealing that the wound had completely healed. Jessie was surprised with his quickly healed shoulder. “So, it’s true.”

Sai looked up at her. “What?”

She pointed at his shoulder. “That Devil-Humans heal fast.”

“Yea…” Sai put his hand on the clean flesh. “One of the few upsides to having a Demon fused with your soul.” Jessie watched him with sincerity on her face. She understood all too well what kind of hell he’s had to live through.

‘But, he’s probably been living a life of a Devil-Human longer than I have.’ Jessie was abandoned two years ago on the suspicion of being a Devil-Human and lived on the streets alone since then. But now, she had a second chance. She was a Human and could live like one again.

Though, looking at Sai now, she felt guilty that she alone could feel the joy at the chance to live a normal life, while Sai was condemned to live a life of a species looked down upon with hatred and fear as if he were a monster. ‘But he’s not a monster. He can’t be, not if he risked his life for someone he doesn’t know.’

“Hurry up. If we leave now we’ll make it to the next town by noon.” Sai put out the fire and started to leave. Jessie quickly finished her food and followed him.






As predicted, the two of them reached the small town of Providence by noon. It may have been a small town, but the tall buildings and numerous people made it look as if it were a part of New Gamdon.

They had barely walked a yard into the town when Sai suddenly stopped, nearly making Jessie collide into him. “Sai? What is it?”

He didn’t even bother to turn around as he spoke. “This is where we go our separate ways.”

“What?”

“The only reason I let you come with me was because I felt obligated to do so. My honor wouldn’t allow me to just leave you to die. But now that you’re somewhere safe, there’s no need for me to be escorting you anymore.” Jessie was utterly shocked by the sudden turn of events. “Good bye, Jessica Yamamori.” Sai started walking off.

She started to follow him with her hand slightly extended toward him. “… b-but Sai, wait-”

“Don’t follow me!” Jessie stopped in her tracks. “Unless you really want me to kill you this time!” The Devil-Human continued to walk away from her.

‘Wait…’ She wanted to protest, but her body wouldn’t allow her to move a single muscle. ‘Don’t leave…’
Her fears of being alone were once again spreading throughout her body.
She tried desperately to put her pleas into words as Sai’s image walked farther and farther away. ‘Please…’

Then, she was alone again.






The emerald-eyed girl sat in a dark alleyway somewhere in this new, unfamiliar city. The sound of J.P. and G.D. cars driving by filled the air, as well as the hustle and bustle of the Providence citizens walking to what ever destination they had planned. No one bothered to take notice of the young woman huddled in the dark alley dressed in old and worn-out drab. She was of no importance to them since it seemed they had better things to do.

The sound of silent sobbing was barely audible in the darkness. The raven-haired girl longed for some type of companionship again, especially since she had received none for the past two years until yesterday, only to have it taken away in less than a day. What was she going to do?

In her sorrow, she failed to hear the sound of people walking and whispering in the alley.

“Well, well. What do we have here?”

Jessie snapped her head up and saw a group of men surrounding her. They all wore leather jackets with the same insignia on it. “What’s a young lady doing all alone in a dark alley?” Jessie tried to back away but failed to do so since her back was already against the wall. The man in front of her, their leader by the looks of it, bent down. “Don’t worry. We won’t hurt you.” He reached out and tilted her head from side to side, observing her face.

Jessie was too scared to try and resist. “You’ve got a pretty face now, don’t ya?”

After studying her features some more, the man stood back up.

“What do you think Neil,” one of the other men asked the leader, “you think she could be a prostitute?” Jessie gasped.

The leader, Neil, observed Jessie some more. “Definitely. You won’t find many street rats that look as good as her. She’ll fetch us a pretty penny.” He grabbed Jessie’s arm and lifted her up to her feet.
She flinched in pain at his grasp. “You’re coming with us young lady. And don’t even think about resisting,” he said, as if he had read her mind. “We’d hate to have to ruin that pretty little face of yours.”






Sai walked through the town with no particular destination in mind. He spent this time thinking about where around the country people from the Dead Snakes would be deployed while under a Treason Watch. He knew they would have wanted posters ready to send to bounty hunting agencies and other Dead Snakes stations soon. Sai tried to remember every city he had to be wary of.

In deep thought, he accidentally walked into the crosswalk after the light turned green. He heard a car screeching and snapped back into reality, quickly jumping back onto the sidewalk ready for anything.

The driver of the car that nearly hit Sai started yelling and swearing at the Devil-Human. Sai relaxed. There was no real trouble here.

The driver flipped him off and started driving off again. But as he drove by, Sai recognized one of the passengers in the back seat of the car.

It was Jessie.

Sai’s eyes widened. She was sitting between two guys with a nervous look on her face. ‘What the hell?’ He watched the car drive down the street and stop in front of a four-story building five blocks away.

He started to walk in the building’s direction, but forced himself to stop.

‘No! She’s not my problem anymore. I escorted her here and that’s it!’ Sai turned and walked off in the opposite direction. ‘She’s on her own now.’

The image of her scared face from when he met her yesterday appeared in his head and he stopped. More images popped in his head: her cowering on the ground as Captain Maires approached her, the look of fear on her face when he told her the organization was sending people to kill them, her body tensing when Captain Griffin told him to kill her, and back to her nervous face in the car.

The Devil-Human let out a long sigh.

“Shit.”






Neil opened an old looking door and walked through with Jessie and the rest of his gang following. The floor boards creaked with every step, catching the attention of people in rooms on either side of them. Jessie glanced into some of the rooms and saw many other men wearing the same jackets as Neil and his men.

They walked up a few flights of stairs and through a few more halls before stopping in front of a door. Neil knocked on it. “Hey boss, it’s Neil! I got a new girl for ya.” There was the sound of unlocking from the other side and the door swung open. Neil walked in and Jessie reluctantly followed.

A middle-aged man sat in a large chair opposite the door. He looked first at Neil, then at Jessie. “Well, well. Quite a catch you have there, don’t you Neil?” He inhaled a long breath from his cigar and blew out a large cloud of smoke. “Where’d you pick this one up from?”

“She was just sitting on the streets,” answered Neil. “It’s plain as day that she has nowhere to live nor any friends or family to stay with.”

Neil’s boss motioned her to come closer. “Come here girl; let me get a good look at you.” When Jessie made no effort to move, Neil roughly pushed her forward, nearly making her stumble over herself. The boss observed her the same way Neil did. “Not bad Neil. And you say you found her on the street?” Neil nodded his head. “How old are you girl?” Jessie didn’t answer. “Come on. It’s just a simple question.”

“… s-seventeen.”

“Ah, so young! But not too young. And you’re still a virgin, I assume?” Jessie gave no response but blushed. She was visibly trembling now. “We’ll have to take care of that later. Don’t worry; being a prostitute isn’t that bad. We take good care of our girls. And there’s a lot of money and luxuries in it, if you’re good. But you look like you could be one of our best-” Neil’s boss stopped at the abrupt sound of yelling coming from the hall. Everyone in the room listened intently to the various noises.

“What the hell!”

“Guys, get over here!” Now they could hear crashing.

“AAAAAGH”

“Get the damn guns!”

“Shit! He’s too strong!”

“God dammit! It’s just one-” and instantly, there was silence.

Everyone’s eyes were on the door. No one knew what to do. The yelling and crashing shocked and confused everyone. Neil approached the door and put his ear to it, hearing nothing. He turned back to his boss. “Boss, maybe we should-”

Crash!

The door broke off the hinges and smashed into Neil from behind. He fell to the floor with the door on his back. He tried to get up, but someone stepped on it, pinning him down. Jessie looked up and saw the dark-haired Devil-Human standing in the doorway.

“Sai!”

Sai walked on the door ignoring the sounds coming from underneath. “So, this is where you are. I’ve looked through this whole damn building for you, and you have to be in the last freaking room.” He looked around at the dumbfounded guys in the room and sighed. “You really are a magnet for trouble, aren’t you?” He walked off the door and closer to the boss. “I’m taking her with me now.”

“Like hell you are,” cried Neil thoroughly pissed off and pushed the door off him and charged at Sai. He threw a punch, but Sai easily dodged it and smashed his elbow into Neil’s face, dropping him to the floor with a bloody nose. In a flash, Sai unsheathed his sword and held it to the boss’ neck. Neil’s boss stared terrified into Sai’s slitted red eyes.

“I said I’m taking her with me. Do you have a problem with that?”

Neil’s boss slowly shook his head, trembling more violently than Jessie had earlier. Sai sheathed his sword and motioned for Jessie to follow him. She eagerly obliged grabbing hold of his cloak and following closely behind him.

Some of the other guys in the room started to go after them. “Hold on you bastard! Where do you think-”

“Leave them!” They all stopped and looked towards their boss.

“But boss, you’re not just gonna let some jackass take one of our girls are you?”

“Don’t you idiots get it!” They looked at their boss confused. He was sweating and still a little startled by the encounter. “That wasn’t just some guy! That was a Devil-Human.” Everyone was startled by the information. “His eyes… he had the eyes of a Demon. You guys should be grateful you’re still alive! He could have slaughtered us all if he wanted to.” He took a long breath. “If all it takes for him to spare us is one girl, then that’s just fine.”

In the hall, they could see unconscious men scattered all over the place. On the floor, through the walls, even some halfway through the ceiling.






The two Joraikan walked out of the city; Sai was already sick of it. They hadn’t said a word since they left the building. Jessie followed a few feet behind the Devil-Human since he was getting annoyed at her holding his cloak.

“Uh, Sai?”

“What?”

“Um… why did you come back for me? You said there was no need for me to follow you anymore.”

“That’s because I thought you would be fine on your own. But apparently you can’t last even a few hours by yourself. I promised myself I’d take you with me until you were safe on your own, but seeing as trouble seems to find you wherever you go; I have no choice but to let you tag along for a while.”

Jessie nodded her head and smiled. “Thank you Sai.”

“Hm? For what?”

“For coming back for me of course. Well, not just for that, but for saving me in New Gamdon, too. You were the first good person I’ve met in years, and you risked your life for me.”

Sai shrugged. “Whatever. But don’t think I won’t leave you if you slow me down, you got that?”

“Yea, okay.”



Author’s Notes:

Okay, now that this is done, just so you know, I won’t be posting the third chapter for a while. I'm sorry, but my co-author and I will be working on other characters’ stories that will lead up to the third chapter. Also, I would like to apologize if anyone has found any spelling errors or gramatical mistakes. I've only been writing for less than a year now (that incluses this and fanfics in general) so I still have a lot to learn.

Now we have been getting a few questions/comments about characters and such from the first chapter. So to clarify things, I will answer some of these questions and give you a little background info.

1. “What are Devil-Humans exactly?”

Devil-Humans are just as Sai in this chapter and the driver in the first said. A Human with a Demon’s soul fused with their own. It’s not like Naruto where a separate entity lives within his body. Both souls literally become one. Though, the fusion of souls have different effects on different Devil-Humans. For instance, one would think that someone who has a Demon’s soul fused to him/her would make that person savage like one, but many people retain much of their human side, i.e. personality and physical appearance, but can gain greater strength, intelligence, or even special powers.

2. “Who is this stranger Jessie who he found and wasn't she sure if she was a Devil-Human.”

Jessie is just an unfortunate soul whom had to strive to survive on her own, but she gains important roles in later chapters. Yes, she thought she was a Devil-Human and as you have read in this chapter, was abandoned two years ago because people thought she was one.

3. “It would be cool if he (Sai) had some hidden powers.”

(grins) Well, I can’t get into great detail with this yet, but I can tell you a few things. Remember how I said Devil-Humans can gain special powers? Sometimes when the Demon fused with the Human has an ability prior to the fusion, it carries on to the Human. But also, if the Demon is an extremely powerful one, the great influence of power can be a help and a hindrance to the Human.

4. “He (Maires) gets called incompetent by Griffith (or is it Griffin?), when I didn't see much incompetence. Maires was knowledgeable, in firm command of his troops, gave intelligent orders, and seemed to be more than a match for Demon Blood in terms of ability and only lost to a Devil-Human because of Demon Blood's act of desperation when he wasn't paying attention.”

Okay, to talk about this, I will have to talk about the Dead Snakes.

First of all, the chain of command ranking from lowest to highest is as such: 5th Captain, 4th Captain, 3rd Captain, 2nd Captain, 1st Captain, Assistant Commander, Commander, and General. Next, there are 5 different stations situated in different countries. There is station A, B, C, D, and the Head Quarters.

Maires and Griffin are part of Station B, as was Sai. Griffin has the rank of 1st Captain and is the strongest of all other captains in the whole organization, hence why Sai never even considered fighting him. Maires is only a 5th Captain and while he may be very smart with strategy and commanding his troops, he is the lowest rank captain and is known as the weakest of all other captains in the whole organization.

Maires may appear to be more than a match for Sai, but a lot of that has to do with Maires knowing Sai. Maires knows exactly how Sai fights, and most notably, how to push his buttons. Sai is easily angered and when angered, he acts more on impulses than his self-taught sword skills. If Sai were a different kind of person, he wouldn't have fallen for Maires' taunts and would have eventually beaten him (given Sai has much more endurance than him and Maires has a limited amount of ammunition he can use in the middle of a battle).

5. "You should explain why the organization wants to kill a Devil-Human and why not Demon Blood, or should I say Tenryu? (Correct me if you did explain it)"

The Dead Snakes get many different missions across the world that can vary from simple things like bodyguarding or retrieval, to much more advanced and difficult ones like warfare assistance and assassinations. They recieve mission requests from different people and organizations whom pay them. So they just don't go out and kill all willy nilly; if they're set out to kill, it is because it is their mission.

Devil-Human and Demon assassinations are quite common in the Dead Snakes, mainly because people fear these inhuman beings.

As for Sai, what happened with him is when he was 16, he was actually a target for assassination. He lived on the streets of New Gamdon at that time and killed all the soldiers easily, all but Maires. The captain was amazed by Sai's talent and, in an extremely rare display of mercy, Maires offered Sai an opportunity to escape his street life if he joined the organization.

When Maires brought him back to the station, he told the Commander he wanted to recruit Sai and told him he was a Devil-Human. Amazingly enough, the Commander allowed it. Though, Maires never told anyone Sai was the actual target he was sent to kill earlier that day.

Also, just call him Sai (or Tenryu if you want). Demon Blood was just a nick-name he recieved because of him being a Devil-Human, just like how Griffith recieved the nick-name 'Demon Killer Griffin' for his reputation as a... well, Demon killer. Though, Tenryu is just used by the Dead Snakes members as a formal way of addressing him.

Wow. This took longer than I thought it would. Well, I suppose I should be going now. Please be patient and wait for us while we work on this a while. Oh, and thank you everyone who took the time to read our story and tell us what you think.
Sign up to rate and review this story