Categories > Games > Zelda > Correspondence

Penance

by arora_kayd 0 reviews

Same as the first chapter. This one written by me.

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Characters: Link, Sheik - Published: 2006-02-11 - Updated: 2006-02-11 - 642 words

0Unrated
Title: Penance
Author: Aurora-Kayd
Beta: Point_Earedpain
Disclaimer: I own nothing ;.;
Summary: Shiek's letter response to Link's letter in respone to Shiek's letter. Confused yet?
Rating: uh.. lets go with Pg-13. For /angst/. ~.^


Sheik sat on the floor and wept, Link's letter held gently in his hand, head downcast between his knees. Whatever tattered remains of his stubborn pride he still harbored fell down his face to fade into the dusty floor.

~~~~

Link,

I

You

Congratulations. May your son grow to be every bit the man his father is.

...

I honestly have no right to respond to your letter. You, on the other hand, you have every right to hate me. Here I went on about others transgressions, feeling somehow superior by the fact that I had the fortitude to ask your forgiveness, only to come across as the hypocritical fool I am.

Two Years.

I had no idea so much time had passed.

No... that's a lie. I knew, a part of me knew, and that part wished it had been longer. Goddess-damned Sheikah pride.

It kills me that you still care for me. That I, the one who claimed he understood, would protect you and keep away any more pain, have caused you so much anger.

You cannot fathom how happy it makes me to know you hate me. The twisted satisfaction from the knowledge that you still think of me, (and some how care), and from the punishment and agony it brings.

What in Din's name is wrong with me?

Again I go off on self-focused tangents. How could you ever have loved me?

That night... What can I say about that night? I would daresay that having the memory of that one night is worth your lasting scorn. But I would be lying again. (It's become habit.) I'm sure you would be disgusted by the sheer amount of time I spend reliving that moment. And by the way I almost relish in the ache caused by the desire to repeat it and the knowledge that it can never happen. My actions have made sure of that.

I'm a broken man, Link. Alienated from the scatterings of my people by my emotions. Driven away from the one person who I ever loved by my self-destructive nature. Reduced to a plaything of destiny by my fears.

I tell you this not out of hope for pity, I do NOT deserve any. I tell you in hope that you will be able to move on. That this will in someway give you back the choice that I stole in a moment of concession. That you might be able to choose to continue hating me as I walk the lands, or to write me off as a phantom, a spirit sent to guide a journey and disappear from memory.

You haunt me as well. I see you everywhere I go: a distant face in a crowd; in a cloak standing next to me; on every face in a tavern. I feel you every time someone touches me, brushes past. I hear you in laughter and music. And then you're gone. A never-ending affirmation of my guilt.

And I thrive in it.

Even now I cannot bear to let you go. It eats at my soul. There is a near constant struggle, halting only in my dreams, against the instinct to run back to you. To whisk you away or even just catch a glimpse of you.

But I would never do that, for your son's sake. Maybe I can do right by you, by never burdening him with knowledge of my existence and the questions it would bring.

I shall disappear, become nothing more than another part of the Sheikah legend. Or perhaps become the lie, nothing more than Zelda's mask.

May I ask but one favor? What is his name?

-Sheik
Sign up to rate and review this story