Categories > Original > Romance

The Kiss

by x-kitycatlok-x 2 reviews

What happens when an innocent kiss turns into much more?... [ONE][SHOT]

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-03-27 - Updated: 2008-03-27 - 1245 words - Complete

1Moving
A kiss. That's how it all started out. Just one, simple kiss that wasn't even meant to be. But why did he feel as if his world was finally right? As if, as cliche as it sounds, his world had stopped spinning. As if he could finally see clearly. He knew that she wouldn't feel the same way about him. After all, who could? He wasn't a very attractive male. He wasn't overly smart. He wasn't funny unless it involved him in some sort of pain. He couldn't sing, dance, act, draw, play sports. He couldn't even play an instrument. He had nothing that made him special. His name was Daniel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel was sixteen years old when it happened. He had black hair covering his left eye, but there was a white streak through it. His eyes were a pale green, not an emerald green that so many girls seemed to find attractive. He was very tall. 6'1'' or 6'2'' and was unnaturally skinny. His skin was naturally pale, which, due to the dark circles under his eyes, made him look quite ghostly. His eyes were always rimmed by a thick layer of eyeliner to try to hide these dark circles, but it never seemed to work. He always seemed to wear black. Black everything! He was also unnecessarily quiet all of the time. Never put his hand up in class for anything. Only spoke when spoken to or asked a question. Hardly anyone even knew his name, but that's how he wanted it. He wanted his life lived in solitude. That's how he liked things. He never wanted them to change.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like Daniel, Emily was also sixteen, but was very different to Daniel. She hated anything that was black. Her hair was naturally a copper colour and she had the emerald green eyes that Daniel hoped for. She wasn't overly tall. Actually, she wasn't tall at all, standing at 5'2''. She wasn't skinny, but she certainly wasn't fat. Emily was pretty, although she didn't think so. She never wore any make up at all, even though many thought she did. She wasn't popular and only had a few friends, but still talked to everyone and anyone. She was on good terms with basically everyone she knew. Everybody loved her. It was impossible not to love Emily. She was kind, considerate and giving. Her only flaw was her lack of self esteem, but that was something that would never go away. She was smart, getting top grades in all of her classes. The only person she had never spoken to was the quiet boy in the back of the room with black and white hair. It embarrassed her to say it, but she was a little scared of that boy, so she managed to stay clear, although one day she knew she would love to be friends with him. He seemed so different. So genuine. She knew she had to speak to him, whenever, however...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day that Emily finally spoke to Daniel was the day before everyone broke up from school for Christmas break. She bravely stood up, walked over to him, and simply wished him a merry Christmas. He tilted his head, which was laying on the desk, up to look at her. He blinked once. Twice. "You too," he mumbled, before laying his head back down.
Emily smiled, a sense of achievement within her. She went and sat back down at her desk, proud of herself. She knew she had to talk to him again that day. His voice was like a drug. Addictive. It was with that she was thinking about for the rest of the morning. She vowed to herself that she would speak to him at lunch. Maybe even sit with him if she could. She smirked to herself, trying to think of ways to make it happen. After coming up with an idea she thought would work, she smiled and focused on the lesson. She would make friends with him, even if it killed her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel was sitting at his usual lunch spot, a large tree outside the grounds. No one ever found him there. It was raining, just like every other day. He didn't normally eat anything. Just laid there, staring up at the sky. Today, however, his vision of the sky was blocked by a face popping up over his. "Hello again," the face said, smiling at him. He glared, pushing her away and sitting up. It was the girl from earlier. "What do you want?" He asked her quietly, not looking at her, but instead looking at his shoes. She thought about it for a minute, then answered in only one word: "You."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From that moment on, Daniel and Emily were inseparable. They did everything together. Daniel had gained a friend he never thought he'd have. Emily gained a loyal and trustworthy friend she felt she could tell anything to. And that brings us up to the present day. The day of Emily's seventeenth birthday. She wasn't having a big party. Just a few friends sleeping around her house, Daniel being one of them. They were playing spin the bottle... You can guess what happened. Daniel spun it. It landed on Emily. He cringed. At that time, they were just best friends. He didn't have feelings for her, and she didn't for him. However, he was never one to turn down a dare or anything like a dare. He stood up, walked over and kissed her, just a little peck. But that was all it took. When he pulled away, he wished only to kiss her again. To taste her sweet lips one more time. He shook the feeling off and went and sat back down in his place. And yet... He couldn't help but get the thought of that kiss out of his mind. "I'll never tell her," he mumbled to himself. "I won't tell her I'm in love with her."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week after the party, Emily was sitting in her and Daniel's lunch spot. For once she was there first! She saw Daniel walking over to her slowly. "Emily," he began. "I have something to tell you."
"What is it?" She asked him, worried.
"I love you. I'm in love with you. Ever since I kissed you," he told her quickly.
She looked at him in shock for a few moments before saying in reply "Daniel, I'm sorry, but I don't return those feelings. We can still be friends though, right?"
He looked at her, tears welling up in his eyes. "No we can't," he mumbled before running off.

After that moment, they never spoke again. They passed each other in halls and classrooms, but neither of them spoke. Neither of them looked at each other. They left school and that was that. Daniel never got over the heartbreak and never married, ended up dying alone. Emily got married, had children and only once in a while thought about how her life would have been different if she had loved Daniel like he wanted her to. Like she wanted to. Like she did but was afraid to admit. They never saw each other again, Daniel and Emily.

Life is not always a fairy tale. There aren't always happy ever afters. There aren't sugar plums and dancing with fairies. There's heartbreak, sadness, depression and rejection... Just for once, life deserves a happily ever after.
Sign up to rate and review this story