Categories > Celebrities > The Used > Tales About God (Or The Closest Thing)

Chapter 3

by IeroMyHero 6 reviews

"Homosexuals in Utah?"

Category: The Used - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-03-29 - Updated: 2008-03-29 - 1976 words

5Original
Chapter 3

It was only after being far enough from Quinn to stop thinking about him that I realized I had no idea what my schedule was. To make the matters worse, my backpack was probably still outside on the blacktop. I could imagine it, trampled on by hundreds of kids, some doing it on purpose. Groaning with frustration, I kicked the nearby wall. Half of my annoyance was caused by this nerve-wracking voice in my head which begged me to go back and find Quinn. As calmly as I could, I told my brain to bind that voice onto a chair and throw it into some imaginary ocean. My brain replied that it wouldn’t be possible; the voice was my conscience and I was unfortunately stuck with it. Letting out another audible groan, I made an attempt to find a solution to my non-Quinn related problem. The way I saw it, I had two options. Option A was to go the front office and ask the creepy front desk lady for help. Option B was to ditch school. Obviously, I went for the second one. It would keep my mind off of Quinn...oops! Too late. Walking to the front entrance, I simply slid out through the swinging doors. Making myself invisible was yet another skill I’d learned from being chased after so much. It just went to show that everything had its ups...and downs. A hell of a lot of downs.

My backpack, like I expected, was right where I had left it. Rushing to it, I brushed my hands at the dusty shoe prints which covered its surface. Sighing when most of the black surface remained brown, I swung it onto my shoulder and began to walk. A few people strolled along the sidewalk, their minds elsewhere. Nobody seemed to see me, and why should they? I was just like the ground; people never took any time to notice what they were walking on.

My house, I knew for a fact would be deserted at this time. I’d be alone and free to pop as many pills as I needed to get my mind far away from my unbelievable crappy morning. Reconsidering it, I decided it was pretty believable. Every day was hummed out for me in the same painful, colorless, friendless rhythm. I let out a taunting laugh, directed at myself. I was such a loser; walking around and feeling sorry for myself. Stopping in my tracks, I set my backpack down on the concrete in front of me. Dropping to my knees, I foraged through the smallest compartment until I found my cigarette pack. Quickly, I pulled one out along with my handy dandy lighter. A few drags would make me feel a bit less pathetic than I really was. Honestly, that was why I smoked; in my school it was considered “cool.” During the brief amount of time I seriously attempted to fit in, I’d developed the nasty habit of blacking my lungs. Stories would be told at health class about smokers who developed diseases and died. Most of the tales scared the living shit out of me, but once I got hooked, there was no turning back.

I clasped the cigarette and its lighter in the palm of my hand gingerly and proceeded to walk ahead a few more yards. Swerving my path off the sidewalk, I approached the woods. A winding trail through it would lead me home without getting caught by some random cop for smoking underage, not to mention playing hooky. I darted to the safety of the trees before lighting my cigarette. I took in a long drag and blew out a puff of gray. Out of the blue, a certain someone whose face had remained hidden (until now) snapped itself to attention. I wondered if Quinn smoked. Scanning his memorized face in my mind, I decided he didn’t; he didn’t seem like a desperate enough guy to give into peer pressure. This made me immediately jealous. How come he didn’t even have to try to be attractive and popular? It was so fucking unfair. Freezing my thoughts suddenly, I realized that I was jumping to too many conclusions. Despite how much of a know-it-all I was trying to be, I couldn’t really be certain that Quinn would become instant friends with the popular kids. Maybe he wouldn’t even want to be. Because he wanted to hang out with me instead. Shaking the unrealistic thought from my mind, I brought the cigarette to my mouth again.

After a few more drags, I littered my source of nicotine onto the ground. I stomped it out, making sure the orange fire crystals died out. Hastening my pace when I continued, I finally reached the edge of the woods. In a few minutes, I found myself standing on the front porch of my extraordinarily normal house. Once again, my backpack was in front of me as I searched for the keys. Unfortunately, I didn’t seem to have them.

“Fuck!” I cursed as loudly as I could.

This day could not possibly get worse. Not only did I have nothing to do, but there was no way to get my pills. Therefore, I would be stuck feeling miserable for possibly another five hours. Throwing my backpack against the door harshly to get out my anger, I spun around. Then, I stopped. What the hell was I supposed to do now? My eyes quickly brushed over the surroundings. It was deserted, save a few joggers and dog walkers. I recognized none of them, and once again, they didn’t seem to see me even as I approached the sidewalk on which their feet beat down.

I walked along the footpath for a while, being sure to step over all the cracks; my mother’s back would not be broken because of me. From my wandering mind, I pulled out a Michael Jackson tune. I sang, quite loudly too, while my feet kept on moving. A few heads turned in my direction, but no one seemed really suspicious about a fifteen year-old boy who wasn’t at school. I found that a bit strange, but didn’t complain. Both my voice and my shoes halted upon nearing a bright blue house. It contrasted with the dull, white paint of the rest of the neighborhood. This house caught my eye for another reason; there was a U-Haul truck parked in the driveway. A bearded man was moving furniture indoors.

For whatever purpose, I decided to hang around and watch. However, I supposed that the man would find it a little weird if they saw me just standing there. Thinking fast, I ran to a nearby tree. I scrambled up the trunk until I reached a high branch. I crawled out onto it and sat, swinging my legs. The wind blew against my face, reminding me that it was September; almost fall. The word ‘fall’ made me look downwards. It sure was a long way, but hopefully I’d land on top of somebody if I did just happen to lean forward too much.

My attention reverted back the driveway of the blue house. The man looked like he had just finished with the last piece of furniture. He seemed to simply stand there, staring out at the rest of the houses. He must have been thinking how boring it was; why did he ever decide to move here in the first place? Soon, he was joined by another man, who carried a baby on his shoulder. Although I couldn’t see his face completely, his short blonde was clearly visible. The bearded guy turned around, and I imagined he would smile at his companion. The blonde man switched the baby to his other shoulder and approached his friend. To my surprise, he took the other man’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. And he left it there as the bearded guy pulled him into a sideways hug, careful not to squish the child. I immediately came to a conclusion.

Homosexuals in Utah?

I gulped down the lump forming in my throat. It was out of pity...for them and not myself, for once. They’d never survive in Mormon land, not for more than a day. I stared at the two men, watching as they happily made their way into their new house. I didn’t know why, but they scared me; me of all people! I shut my eyes and leaned against the tree trunk, hugging it. I was fucking terrified of two gay guys, when I myself wasn’t completely straight. The remainder of my day was spent trying to figure myself out. When my mind began to drift, I started to make up imaginary scenarios about Quinn liking me. In all of them, I was somehow transformed into the most popular kid in school. Quinn would just sort of come up to me, give me a random compliment. Something awkward that nobody would actually think, let alone say out loud. “You have really beautiful eyes, Bert,” he’d tell me. And I would smile at him, causing a bunch of girls beside me to squeal like piglets. It went on like that for a while. Talk about wishful thinking.

It was when a yellow school bus whizzed past on the road in front of me that I realized how long I had been daydreaming. I stared as the bus came to a stop at the end of the street. The door opened and a crowd of kids rushed out, glad to be away from the hell that is school. The huge blob slowly dispersed, rushing to their individual white houses. My eye was caught by none other than Quinn. He, unlike the others, walked at an extremely leisurely pace...or maybe it was just mind, slowing everything down. He looked just fucking gorgeous, like he did this morning. Well, he looked almost as good anyway, because walking beside his heavenly precesnse was somebody else.

I could have fallen off my branch and I wouldn’t even have noticed. My mind was focused on the lucky bastard who was next to Quinn. His curly brown hair and pale face was pretty much all I could see. But even from so far away, I could recognize him; Chase Morrison, ruler of the preps. I flipped him off, just because he couldn’t see me. Jealousy was poking at my heart as I continued to stare at the two of them. Quinn was laughing, probably at a joke told by Chase. I shocked myself by letting out a growl-ish sound. My canine tooth fell down hard on my lip. It wasn’t healthy for me to be feeling like this, not over some guy whom I didn’t even know well. I struggled to convince myself that my weird feelings for Quinn were only temporary.

As if to get my mind away from my jealousy, God had to throw another surprise in my direction. This might have been a bad idea.

I gripped the rough tree bark under me as the pair stopped. Chase gave Quinn a quick wave before running to his own house, across the street. Quinn then turned around to walk into his home. I clearly saw the blonde head stroll to the house, the blue house and ring the doorbell. My stomach sort of gave a lurch, threatening to make me fall forward. The new homosexuals of Mormon land were Quinn’s parents?


Remember, this is totally AU. =D And also for this story, I gotta tell you right now, expect the unexpected. Thanks again for the people who reviewed/read/rated, but especially the ones who reviewed. I fucking love you, like Bert loves Quinn.
Sign up to rate and review this story