Categories > Books > Pride and Prejudice > Directors Cut

The things one really ought not to overhear

by Hartabound 0 reviews

Modern P&P. Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy are actors working on a 19th Century film adaption, suffice to say all does not go according to plan!

Category: Pride and Prejudice - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2008-04-14 - Updated: 2008-04-16 - 4314 words

0Unrated
‘Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet are actors working on a costume drama for the big screen- the 19th century novel calls for passion between an impoverished
painter and his young muse, but with our modern day heroine hateful of our misunderstood hero, can a first time director bring them together and ever hope to pull this off…’


Part 1 ‘…the things we really ought not to hear…’

Elizabeth felt sick; she breathed sharply and hung onto the sink for dear life. What was she doing here, she asked for herself the hundredth time…how in the world had Jane managed to talk her into this?

She was no screen actress, so what was she thinking going for a part like this, and aside from that to play opposite the famous Fitzwilliam Darcy, his intensity and passion would laugh her off the screen. She had had moderate success on the stage and though the reviews had been entirely favourable, the play was independent enough to ensure it was seen by only a handful.

But she had agreed despite herself, knowing better she had let Jane, her sister and her agent to answer the call for fresh, talented actresses. Still she had made it through three readings already; surely she couldn’t be all that bad? Now things were getting serious, now it mattered and as the latest wave of nausea passed over her, Elizabeth gathered all her last remaining resolve and headed out of the toilets.

It was the reading opposite Darcy that was unnerving her, everything she had read about him, all that she had seen of his work ensured that he was the upcoming star they all raved about. It also ensured that fresh faced, newbie Elizabeth Bennet, had a schoolgirl crush on the handsome Adonis. She was not ashamed of it; at least she was not an obsessive like some of the girls auditioning out there. She cringed inwardly at the words of Melissa, who had stated in no uncertain circumstances, her intention to take a lock of his hair by whatever means necessary.

In this train of thought she stalked the corridor outside the dressing rooms pacing up and down, wholly occupied with various scenes from the book that when she heard steps approaching her at no remarkable distance, it was much too late. Voices confirmed at least one of them to be Darcy…a panicked Elizabeth terrified of being seen and having to talk to him ridiculously unprepared, made a beeline for the nearest room. She prayed it was empty as she turned the handle and slipped inside…it was, she headed for the clothes rack, overflowing as it was it could be the only place to offer any concealment.

She heard them stood outside talking and thinking they were about to leave, prepared to slip out unnoticed. Her heart was practically in her throat when she realised they were not moving on, but someone was opening the door of the room she was hiding in! No…surely it couldn’t be…but yes it was, in her haste she failed to notice the name on the door, this was Darcy’s dressing room!

Crouching lower and cursing her stupidity, she resolved not to listen to their conversation. But it would prove difficult, his voice, smooth and gentle and filled with generous humour, was velvet to her ears, it washed over her and with a silly grin plastered on her face, Lizzy realised she was even in love with his voice!

Elizabeth would have done better to shut her ears; the conversation would not prove to be to her liking. Darcy was on the phone, there was someone else in the room with him, ‘Thank you…Mrs Reynolds for doing your best…I’m sure it’ll be fine…the girls probably have first-night nerves…no…no I’m sure she’s not being difficult on purpose…look I have to go…I’m sorry…but I promise, as soon as everything is confirmed here…I’ll be right back. You’re doing a great job… please don’t worry and thanks again…yes…bye.’

He let out an exasperated sigh and Lizzy could imagine him shaking his head in frustration, ‘Bingley…I swear this whole thing is driving me mad….’

She knew Bingley to be his closest friend and publicist.

‘No wonder…do you ever stop…I mean as well as running to and from auditions, you’ve got that infernal place to keep together as well…Darcy I can’t understand why you just don’t sell it and be done…’

Darcy laughed quietly, ‘I think Mrs Reynolds’ does the most of the keeping together of that place…I can’t sell it Bingley, you know that…it means too much, there’s a history with it…I’m telling you it’s destined for great things. Besides Georgiana loves the place, she would never speak to me again.’

Bingley sighed resigned, ‘Alright, so what’s the latest crisis with the old theatre…?’

Darcy spoke through gritted teeth, ‘Oh you know, only the usual, Mrs Reynolds is having trouble persuading some of the other girls in the play to not poison our fair Desdemona for real…’

‘Oh no…don’t tell me Rita Simmons is up to making her ridiculous demands again…what does she want this time…all the yellow m&m’s removed…no wait, let me guess a troupe of dancing midgets in her dressing room…!’

Lizzy was forced to stifle a laugh, while the gentlemen present revelled in the mirth.

‘No, worse, now she’s intent on giving orders to the costume department, she wants the other girls in the chorus, dressed more drably, less colour so there’s less distraction from her star performance…suffice to say the girls aren’t happy.’

‘I bet…so what’re you going to do…I could go up there for you…’

‘Ha…no…no way…’ Darcy laughed out loud.

Bingley seemed hurt and offended by this sudden outburst, ‘what…you don’t think I could do it…?’

‘I’m sorry Bingley…you’re my best friend, and God knows you’ve managed my career admirably, but someone like Rita Simmons…she’ll eat you alive…no, no I have to sort this out myself.’

‘I was only trying to help…’

‘I know and you’ll never know just how thankful I am. I don’t know Bingley, what is it with these actresses, I swear as soon as they suspect they’ve got something between their ears, they turn into these annoying, whining, demanding prima donnas.’

Bingley smiled ruefully, ‘Oh come on Darcy…you’re being too hard…’

‘No I’m telling you it’s true. At first I wondered what Harry was thinking, sending out this call for fresh, new talent; with him being a first time director I was sure he wouldn’t take any risks, but you know I think he’s got the right idea. The less brains they suspect they have the less demands they’re likely to make.’

Bingley snorted at this crude analogy.

‘Bingley have you seen the girls out there, I walked past their room they were all in there giggling like a bunch of helium filled hyenas. It was awful; it’d be a punishment to act opposite anyone of them. Still, though I doubt he’s going to find what he’s looking for in them, if Harry does pick an empty headed bimbo, it could only serve to make me look better, right…?’

‘You know Darcy; I think I can see why your opinions would make some people call you a complete ass…’

‘Really…’ Darcy’s mock tone of hurt was obvious, ‘I always considered my opinions to be refreshingly honest…’

Bingley laughed, ‘well you would…’

They left soon after that, leaving a seething Lizzy still hunched up among the clothes rack. She stood up and the cramp in her leg was soon forgotten. If the phrase, ‘hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’ was ever concocted to describe exactly how a woman felt, well it was a poor substitute for Lizzy’s rage. She could not believe how stupid and odiously blind she had been, to have a silly, teenage crush on a man like that! Well, no more…Lizzy Bennet was no-one’s fool and certainly not of that arrogant, pompous…vain, self-centred…

Lizzy had stormed out of the room and was heading down the corridor, cursing and stamping as she went; she almost ended up running down her sister. Jane seeing Lizzy coloured a most disturbing shade of red, was about to ask the reason for her obvious distress when she began herself.

‘Oh God, how can I have been so stupid, me the world’s greatest cynic when it comes to the heart…oh, hateful, spiteful man..!’ She was aware of the volte face, her impressions of Darcy had been entirely favourable only a few minutes before, now she did not care to hear or see either him or his friend ever again.

Jane was at a loss to understand whom she meant. ‘Lizzy, what’s happened…who are you talking about…Lizzy stop, where are you going..?’

Lizzy had stepped passed her and was carrying on down the corridor, quite oblivious to Jane’s questions. She had to run to catch up with her, and in doing so grabbed Lizzy by both arms and turned her round to face her.

‘Calm down, tell me what this is about…why are you so upset..?’ Jane’s calm, measured tones seemed to have the desired effect. Lizzy began to breathe slower, and her cursing was limited to at least a word at a time.

‘I’m sorry Jane, I can’t do this…I just can’t. I’m going home…’

Jane stared at her mouth agape, ‘No Lizzy you can’t…besides you’re up to read next…they’ll be waiting for you…’

‘I’m sorry Jane, tell them I’m ill or something…please make some excuse, I have to get out of here…’

She was shaking, and Jane thought her on the verge of tears, but as keenly as she felt for her sister, Lizzy could not leave. Her voice was therefore unusually stern.

‘I will not…Lizzy whatever reservations you have had, you have gotten through three of these readings already, that wouldn’t have been possible without talent, which you have masses of. So no, Lizzy, I will not make excuses and you are not leaving, not when we are this close… I won’t let you.’

‘I can’t do it…Jane please…’

‘Yes you can…and you owe it to yourself and me to find out…’

Lizzy was at last forced to resign; Jane was not going to give way. She would have to do it, have to stand opposite that man… Darcy, who had mortified her so only minutes before.

Stand and utter lines, words that she was convinced she couldn’t speak the way they were meant to, or convey the feeling they expressed. Never had her faith in her own capability been shaken so badly, not even when she had stood throwing up in the bathroom, she had allowed herself a glimmer of hope even then. And what had tested her so, the words and cruel laughter of a man whom she had never met, and who had yet managed to embed himself deep within her, rooted in the darkest place where all thoughts are hateful and voices venomous.

She took a few deep breaths and still shaking but no longer cursing, headed towards the hall where the auditions were being held. A small local theatre had been hired; readings were taking place on stage, in front of the casting crew and, in the masses of seats, if front of just about everyone else. None of the girls had left; those who had already read were sat with those who hadn’t, in turns giving encouragement whilst hoping to make eyes with Darcy.

Lizzy entered the stage through a side door, Jane was right, everyone was waiting for her. They all looked towards her anticipating, expecting…Lizzy was glad for Jane who was right behind her and squeezing her hand in sisterly encouragement.

‘Miss Bennet…?’ A voice boomed out from the front rows, ‘Well I’m glad you could finally join us, if you’d care to make your way to the stage…’

‘Of course…I’m sorry…’ Lizzy was embarrassed.

‘Don’t be sorry Miss Bennet…just be good…’ Lizzy sought in vain for the owner of that voice as she climbed the stage, but the spotlight on her shone so brightly that she would have had to strain to see anything in the darkened seats below; and she didn’t want to be accused of having a squint on top of everything else.

She stood bemused until a painful realisation smacked her; she was empty handed, she had left the script on the bathroom sink!

‘Here take mine…I know the words well enough by now…’ Lizzy looking up foolishly was about to utter a thousand thanks when recognition of her protagonist stopped her short…Darcy.

She snatched it from him ungratefully, barely looked him in the eye and turned her attention wholly to the paper in front of her. He seemed amazed at her affront, and she suspected he rolled his eyes skyward in disgust at her forgetfulness. He thought her scatter brained no doubt, well no matter; she cared as little for his opinion as she did his disapprobation.

‘When you’re ready guys…’ the voice again prompted him.

A collective hush fell upon the room; Jane held her breath and crossed her fingers.

Lizzy composed herself and walked towards Darcy, she was stood only a few feet away, throwing her script aside she rushed up and wrapped her arms around him.

Lizzy was Celia now, and he was Rupert, the script had taken over, and as far as Lizzy was concerned that was all that mattered, her repulsion for the man around whose neck her arms were encircled was put behind her; she could be a true professional whatever he thought of her.

She was about to utter her first words when…a phone rang; one of the actresses was the guilty party and as she was being banished to outside the hall, Darcy found it the perfect time to accost Lizzy.

‘You know when somebody does you a favour it’s generally polite to say thank you…’ he began.

Lizzy was in no mood to let him finish, ‘Really…’ she smiled and simpered prettily, ‘I guess with my being just another air headed bimbo actress, the sort of things like manners just passes me by…right…?’

The effect was wonderful; Darcy first stared wide-eyed and then blushed, he seemed mortified and left wondering exactly how and when she had overheard their conversation. They were ready for them again, and now it was left to Darcy to gather what was left of his composure. He managed it admirably, ever the consummate professional.

They resumed their positions, she with her arms about his neck, and his circling her waist. They were to portray lovers, there could be no uncomfortable ness, and they could show none, however ill they felt towards each other.

The scene was a quarrel between Celia and Rupert; Celia runs down to meet him secretly not suspecting the devastating news he has to greet her.

‘Celia…’he begins even as she’s hanging about him, ‘Celia I must tell you something…’

She’s concerned; he looks serious, ‘What is it…?’

‘I’m to be married…’ She thought him joking; he could not be…not whilst still making love and promises to her.

‘Rupert, do not joke…’

‘I do not…within a few months…’ he held her at arms length.

‘How…what do you mean…what of all that we have promised to each other…’

‘What of it…nothing can come of it…you must have known…’


The scene was reaching its height now, and both Darcy and Lizzy were engrossed by it all, they were the only two in the hall, with the words of a dying love being spoken between them.

‘No…you do not love her…you cannot, you love me I know you do…’ Celia clawed to his neck pathetically.

Wishing to comfort, and with a lingering affection, Rupert held her for a while.


Lizzy for some strange reason, perhaps in the hope of putting him off, took the opportunity to whisper in his ear, ‘You know if all it takes to make you look better is an air head, then maybe you aren’t really as good an actor as you think…’

Darcy refused to be outdone…certainly not by a pretentious upstart like Elizabeth Bennet, he kept resolutely to his words.

‘Celia…we must part…I am for one way, you another…’

‘Please Rupert…I am not a child, do not use such consoling tones with me…I refuse to release you…’

‘You refuse…and what power do you think you hold sway over me, pray speak…’


Darcy deliberately made Rupert’s tone more malicious and vicious than it was written, and squeezing Lizzy tighter, he whispered his retort to her earlier remark, with the similar intention of distracting her, ‘And maybe you’re just a harpy who makes a habit of listening in to private conversations…’

Lizzy’s reply was as an unexpected for them both as it was spectacular, she stepped away from him and with all her might slapped him across the face with her open hand! Was it Lizzy’s or Celia’s rage that inspired such a reaction? A collective gasp went up across the whole room, and poor Jane, who was convinced Lizzy had just driven a nail through her short lived career, almost fainted.

‘Wait a minute, that’s not in the script…’ a puny voice called up before being shot down with an equally awed and hasty, ‘shut up you idiot…!’

The reading resumed, every eye, every mind was fixated now wholly on the two on stage.

Celia’s voice quivered, she shook with anger, ‘No…no power Rupert, only I know…we both know you care only for me…it is the truth, and you will regret the day you ever gave me up…’

Rupert was not to be moved, ‘we all have regrets Celia…many of which we learn to live with…’

‘I hope you learn to live with this Rupert…’she reached up and kissing him softly on the lips, and turned to walk away, vowing it to be forever.

Had she turned at that exact opportune moment, she would have rushed back straight into his arms, for Rupert stood head bowed, with tears brimming in his eyes and an ache in his heart.


The performance held the audience so captive and spellbound that for a long moment no-one spoke. They were at last all roused by the sight of an obviously distraught Lizzy hurrying off the stage; she jumped down and without speaking to a soul hurried out of the room, banging the doors behind her as she went.



Only Jane proved brave enough to hurry after her, Lizzy by this time had already picked up her things and was making her way across the car park towards her car.

It had started to rain, and poor Elizabeth looked like a dejected soul as she fumbled hopelessly in her bag for keys. She cut a pathetic sight, more so when she dropped her bag and had to retrieve the strewn contents; the rain had mottled and soaked her hair leaving it hanging down in strands about her face.

Jane hurried to her having had the good sense to take an umbrella with her, held it aloft as she helped her sister.

She took hold of her hand when they had done, ‘Lizzy surely you can’t contemplate disappearing now…’

Lizzy smiled woefully, and Jane spied the tell tale streak of tears, ‘Jane do you remember the first time you ever read The Framed Rose…’

‘Yes of course…I was 14 and I loved the book so much I read it again and then lent it to you…’

‘Exactly…it’s a classic you loved it, and I loved it and so did all the other millions of people who have been lucky enough to read it…’

Jane was puzzled, ‘Lizzy, what are you talking about…?’

‘I can’t do this Jane, the characters, Celia and Rupert are so indelibly printed on everyone’s heart, that I could never do them…I could never do Celia justice…’

‘What…!’ Jane gestured emphatically with the umbrella, thoroughly defeating the whole purpose of its use and allowing them both to be soaked by the heavy downpour,

‘You can’t think that now, Lizzy were you listening to yourself on that stage…you were amazing, you were Celia…’

Lizzy shook her head stubbornly, ‘No…Jane I know how much that book means to me…I don’t want a generation of readers who, when they think of The Framed Rose, instead of picturing that wonderful story, have me and my performance making them cringe…’

Jane was at a loss to understand where her fears stemmed from. ‘Lizzy, given what you just did in there, what both you and Darcy did, I promise you that anybody who goes to see this film is going to be amazed as we all were…’

‘Jane…I’m not good enough…its time we both accepted that...’

‘God…Lizzy..! Where is this coming from…?’

‘I’m not the only one who thinks so…’

Jane was about to ask her just who had affected her belief in herself so profoundly, when her phone rang. Lizzy finding her keys and her resolve made her way to her car.



Lizzy’s and Darcy’s stellar performance as well as being watched from the front of the stage, was also observed very sneakily by the man who was to direct the whole thing, Harry Kilton. He had stood in the shadows throughout it all, and had been about to hurry after Lizzy when he had tripped over the curtain rope and fell flat on his face, Lizzy escaped him.

But he was not to be deterred, convinced he had found his elusive stars at last he scrambled to his feet and called out after the fast retreating Lizzy and an even faster Jane, they didn’t hear him.

Harry although young was also a short, fat easily exhausted man, and shouting tired him so; turning to the casting coach he grabbed him by the collar and demanded to know who that girl was.

‘Elizabeth Bennet…’ the poor man wasn’t allowed to finish.

‘Well I want her…she’s the one…’ Harry was turning a peculiar shade of beetroot with all his breathless excitement.

‘But sir…there are at least a half dozen more girls to read…’

‘Well send them all home…’he waved frantically in the air, ‘I’ve found her…I’ve found Celia…’

‘I agree…she’s the one…’ Darcy had climbed down from the stage and standing behind them was gingerly rubbing his cheek, where Lizzy had left her mark; he wore a peculiar smile.

With such ringing endorsements the casting coach had no choice but to find Jane’s number and give her the news.

‘Lizzy…wait, please…’ Jane struggled to catch up; Lizzy had already started her car. She tapped on the window and waited for Lizzy to wind it down, ‘Lizzy you can’t leave…’

‘Jane we’ve talked about this…’

Jane shook her head and grinned, ‘No you don’t understand…you got it…you got the part…you’re playing Celia…’

Lizzy refused to believe it at first, but then began to declare she wouldn’t take it, she actually intended to turn the part down!

Jane’s face fell at these words, ‘You’re not serious…’

‘I most certainly am…’ and with that was about to wind her window back up and drive off. Jane was desperate.

‘Okay…look you can’t leave…I need you to take this part, because…because I’ve met someone… here and the only way I can keep on seeing him is if you take this part…’

Lizzy looked at her sceptically, she readily believed Jane was capable of concocting such a story if it could persuade her to stay.

But Jane was blushing now and seemed sincere, or if she wasn’t it was her who ought to have been the actress.

‘Come on…’ she continued, ‘do you really want to ensure your sister stays on the shelf for the rest of her life…?’ Jane smiled sheepishly.

Lizzy smiled back, ‘You and I both know that’s not going to happen…’ she shook her head, ‘I know I’m going to regret this…’

‘Yes…!’ Jane jumped and squealed with delight.

The sisters returned arm in arm, and peeking through the half open door to the hall they saw everybody had already left; only an overly excited Harry, a bruised Darcy and Bingley remained.

Lizzy turned to her sister, ‘So before we go in…are you going to tell me anymore about this mystery man of yours…when am I going to get to meet him…?’

Jane smiled and squeezed her arm, ‘Right now if you like…’ pushing the doors open further, ‘he’s in here…’

Lizzy prayed she was talking about Harry, worse…it soon became clear she meant Bingley.

‘Oh no…’ Bingley and Darcy were close, likewise the sisters were inseparable, so to spend time with Bingley would mean to spend time with Darcy; Lizzy was she beginning to regret changing her mind already.
Sign up to rate and review this story