Categories > Books > Mediator, The > The Crystal of Life

Epilogue

by CerasiJ 0 reviews

Epilogue: Ten Years Later

Category: Mediator, The - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2006-02-13 - Updated: 2006-02-13 - 1600 words

0Unrated
Epilogue: Ten Years Later

I stood in front of my kitchen window, watching the ocean. I really liked my new house; my husband built it for me. He did a wonderful job; he rebuilt this old house on one of the many hills in San Francisco and added a lot of new stuff. I have a sitting window in our bedroom, and a library where I can read and do my drawings. It's got a big backyard, with trees and even a tire swing.

A lot has happened in the past ten years, I got married, bought a house, and graduated from college.

I got married when I was 19 years old, everyone said I was too young, but I didn't listen, I was in love. I still am.

I went to college and graduated with honors, which was a surprise to me, because I never did well in school, do to the grueling hours of mediator duty. But I guess I did pretty good because right now I currently work for Prada; I'm one of their top fashion designers.

I feel like a different person. I'm still a mediator, but I'm not as violent as I used to be, marriage can really calm a person's inner anger.

And I was angry. I was a very angry child, being a mediator didn't make it any easier. "Mommy, what are you looking at? Is Daddy home yet?" I smiled. My four-year-old daughter helped calm my anger, too. When I was younger, little kids used to drive me crazy, now I can't get enough of them.

I turned away from the window and knelt to look at my daughter, "Mommy's just watching the ocean. And no, Dad's not home yet, but it's almost suppertime, so why don't you help me set the table?"

Katie looked disappointed. She was her daddy's girl. In all respects, she looked just like her father. But she was the same as me, she was a mediator, too.

And, believe it or not, got frequent visits from her late Grandpa, my dad. Who has yet to move on. "Can we eat on the purple plates tonight, Mom?" Katie asked; I was about to reply when Fat Louie, Katie's cat came running into the room. This could only mean one thing, "Daddy's home!" Katie shrieked and ran towards the garage.

I smiled and shook my head. Louie, the son of Spike, ran after her.

A few moments later I heard footsteps coming in the direction of the kitchen, "Daddy, Mommy's making pizza for dinner!" Katie cried happily. "She is?" Her father echoed. "Well," Katie amended, "She ordered it."

"Ah hah," he said to me as he came into the kitchen. He leaned down and kissed me soundly on the lips, "How come you ordered out again, Suzie?"

It used to drive me crazy when anyone but my mom would call me Suzie, but now I don't really mind it when my husband does it. "I just ran out of time," I said, smiling up at him, "How was your day?"

"Long," He replied, scooping up Katie and plopping her in his lap, "Andy's thinking about restoring this old car his grandfather had, and he wants me to help."

My stepfather, Andy Ackerman, had hired my husband to work for his construction company. Andy even helped rebuild my house!

"Wow," I said, raising my eyebrows, "Are you gonna help him?"

My sentence was interrupted again, because the doorbell rang. "That's probably dinner," I said, walking from the kitchen, "I'll get it."

---

Later that night, after Katie was bathed, fed, read to, put to bed and sound asleep, I crept upstairs to my bedroom. I pressed my ear against the bathroom door and heard water running. Hm, I thought, he must be in the shower already.

Poor guy, he works so hard, and I sit at home and draw all day. But let me tell ya, some of my designs have set some hot trends on the runways in Paris and Milan.

I stepped out onto the porch that was attached to our bedroom and breathed deeply. I really loved it here in California, the sun was always shining, the ocean was always crystal clear and there was a lot of building going on, which was good for Andy's company.

The color of the ocean as the sunset suddenly gave me an idea for a wicked evening gown. I started to plot out the size and shape in my head. I was so wrapped up in my thoughts; I didn't even hear my husband sneak up behind me.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed the back of my neck, I jumped a foot in the air. "Jesse!" I exclaimed, "You startled me!"

Surprised? It still surprises me sometimes, when I wake up next to him and he doesn't have this glow around him anymore.

He smirked, "A penny for your thoughts, /querida/?" I smiled and turned around in his grasp so I could look up at him, "You never did tell me what that means," I said, still smiling. Jesse kept right on smirking, "You'll just have to figure it out yourself then, won't you?"

I sighed and rested my head in the middle of his bare chest, "Oh, you're so mean to me."

"Yes, I am, aren't I?" He mused, "I build you a big nice house-..."

"Oh, shut up," I teased, "Every time you want your own way, you make me feel guilty." Jesse smiled down at me and kissed my forehead. I sighed again, "I love you, Jesse."

I thought of the first time he told me he loved me, we were hanging out with Cee Cee and Adam at my house, (who, by the way, are now married to each other and they are expecting their first), and I said something totally stupid that made everyone laugh, and all of a sudden, Jesse puts his arm around me, says, "I love you, Susannah" and kisses me right in front of everyone. I mean, even my mom and Andy.

It was totally random, but whatever, I liked it all the same. Kinda like now, Jesse rested his cheek on the top of my head, and said, "I love you too, Suzie."

No matter how hard I try, I still can't get him to call me just plain old "Suze."

"Is Katie in bed already?" He asked. A slight breeze kicked up, I shivered and cuddled closer against him. "Yup," I said, "Fed, been read to, and is now off in dreamland."

"Good."

I kept thinking of that dress... with the colors of the setting sun. "I had a new idea for a dress."

"Oh?" Jesse shifted his weight and held me closer against his chest. "Yeah, I was thinking of throwing like a lot of purples and golds into it... and the design would kinda be like my wedding dress."

My wedding. Now there's a day I would never forget. Jesse and I got married on a quiet little stretch of beach just a few miles outside of Carmel, at sunset, around the second week of July. In fact, Father Dominic married us, even though neither of us are Catholic. My wedding dress-as I have just mentioned-was in a halter-top style, was floor length and it was white. Simple, yet elegant. Just the way I like it.

"Hey," Jesse said, "I bet that'll be really nice." It was so funny to hear Jesse talk like a normal person, you know, slang and all that, but he still says a lot of stuff in Spanish. A habit, of which, I've come to pick up over the last few years. If I mess something up, I have a tendency to swear in Spanish.

"There goes the sun," Jesse said. I looked up to see the sun sinking into the Pacific Ocean, to be snuffed out for the night. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him slowly.

"And," I said, "It's all right."


The End.

---

Author's Ending Note: Wow, can you guys believe out of all the series I'm working on, this is the only one I've ever FINISHED??? Anyway, I had a few notes that I would like to point out to the readers:

Number One: I have no idea if there is an actual "Carmel Day" in Carmel, California. I just made it up for the story.

Number Two: Before you leave me a review saying "Jesse wouldn't cry, are you nuts?" try to put yourself in his position, I mean coming back from the dead can be quiet a life-altering experience if you know what I mean, and then finding out the woman you love is possibly cadaver material, well, that can be pretty earth-shattering if you ask me.

Number Three: This story was actually based on an X-Files episode I watched one time, where a man had the capabilities of thinking things into life, and he used this creature he made up to go and kill and bunch of his neighbors. Which, I mean, in a sense is kinda cool, I mean, I know I would love to send a garbage-based, sewer-dwelling creature to attack some of my neighbors!

Number Four: Thanks to ShadowKat for bugging me to finish this story.

Number Five: Okay, have you read all my rants and rambles? Go ahead and leave me that review! C'mon, you know you wanna! Dammit, what are you waiting for? Don't just stand there reading this, click on that little button that says "Review". Click it. DO IT NOW!!! RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!
Sign up to rate and review this story