Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > Losing the Melody

Night

by Xanrivash 0 reviews

Number 32, Night. Axel can't sleep, and neither can Demyx.

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Axel,Demyx - Published: 2008-04-30 - Updated: 2008-04-30 - 555 words

0Unrated
All Axel really wanted to do was sleep. Living next door to Demyx, though, sometimes made that impossible. Usually, it was because the musician had lost track of time while playing sitar or listening to his stereo. That didn't seem to be the case tonight. Instead of loud rock music, or classical music, or sitar music, or any type of music...he heard whimpering. Sobbing. Occasional soft cries, like cries of pain or fright.

Axel sighed. The doofus must be having a nightmare. Instead of going and pounding on Demyx's door, yelling at him to pack it in before he came in there and made him shut up, and going back to bed, he quietly opened Demyx's bathroom door and took a look inside, summoning a small fire to light the room. Demyx stirred and sat up as he lit the fire. "Ax?...What are you doing in here?"

"Checking up on you. What were you pitching a fit about?"

Demyx blinked. "...What?"

"I said, what were you pitching a fit about? You were crying and yelling in your sleep; whatever it was, it must have been pretty intense. You even kept me from sleeping."

Even in the firelight, Demyx turned noticeably red. "Oh...I'm sorry...I didn't know I was doing that."

Axel sighed and shook his head. "What were you dreaming about that left you in a mess like that?" he asked quietly.

"Huh?"

Axel took a few steps closer. "What were you dreaming about?"

Demyx sighed and shook his head. "I don't remember now. Kind of forgot as soon as I woke up."

"Well, that's kind of a letdown..." Axel shrugged. "Oh well. We might as well go back to bed. Try to get some decent sleep this time." Demyx nodded, settled back, and pulled the covers up, but his eyes remained wide open. That probably doesn't bode well, Axel thought, but he unsummoned the fire and returned to his own room.

And couldn't sleep a wink. Once he was lying in his own bed, he could close his eyes for as long as he wanted, but he stayed wide awake nonetheless, tossing and turning and wondering what the hell was the matter with him now. Dammit, Demyx...I didn't know insomnia was contagious...I have an early mission tomorrow; I can't stay awake all night, not if I want to actually complete the mission and come back safely - and not getting torn limb from limb by the Superior's killer attack dog for botching the job counts as part of"safely"...

Eventually Axel gave up on sleep for a while and wandered down to the kitchen, looking for something that might help him sleep. Demyx was already down there, staring into a cup of hot chocolate. He glanced up as Axel brushed past him on his way to the refrigerator."Sorry if I woke you up again," he murmured.

Axel shook his head as he started putting together a sandwich."Nah. I just couldn't get to sleep; I don't know why."

"Ah." Demyx nodded, but Axel wasn't sure how much of what he said got through, if any. Demyx's mind seemed to be having trouble shifting out of "Park" recently. Maybe it was lack of sleep. Well, if it was, the best cures for insomnia were generally found in the kitchen.
Sign up to rate and review this story