Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Last Great War

It Begins

by JennBarny 0 reviews

Harry and his friends are accidentally transported back to WWI and witness Dumbledore's fight against a very familiar looking man.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Draco,Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Ron - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-05-02 - Updated: 2008-05-02 - 1227 words - Complete

1Original
Author's Note: I don't own any of it, and I actually wrote this years ago. Like... probably around the fourth book time frame. So... since some may not be canon anymore, don't get mad... but review & rate please!!

“Malfoy! Give that back!” Hermoine’s cheeks flustered with anger as she tried her best to intimidate the Slytherin senior.

The thin gold chain could be seen through Draco’s fingers as he clutched the small hourglass in his palm. “Why should I? I think I could have a lot of fun with it,” he sneered. “Just think, I could go back and pick on you and your friends at the same time in different places,” he laughed.

“Oh, you are so lucky that I...” she murmured through clenched teeth as she curled her hands at her waist.

“That you what? That you aren’t a real witch, Mudblood?” His sneer turned from lightly teasing to harsh in a split second. “I suppose then I’d be in real trouble.”

Hermoine went red in the face. Her fists clenched harder, her nails biting into her palms as tears threatened her eyes. Even years after the first time he had used the insult on her it still stung. Draco noticed the slight movement as Hermoine’s hand reached into her pocket for her wand. Before she could even grasp it, his was at the ready, pointed directly at her.

“Drop it, Malfoy,” a voice called from the passageway.

“Who’s going to make me?” he jeered.

“Me,” Ron Weasley said as he stepped into the light on Draco’s right.

“And me,” Harry said from his left. Both had their wands focused on Draco.

While he was distracted, Hermoine managed to pull her wand out and focus it between Draco’s eyes. Harry and Ron moved in to take hold of Malfoy’s upper arms. “Give it back to her, Malfoy,” Harry said in a low voice.

“Or what?” he asked, trying to stay tough to the last.

“Or I’ll take it back,” Hermoine said as she reached for the Time Turner. As she reached for it, Draco’s hand reached out to grasp her wrist as he turned the hourglass.

~~~

Once the world had stopped spinning, Hermoine tore her arm away from Draco’s grasp. “You idiot! Do you know what you’ve done? Well, do you?”

Draco shook off the grips of the other boys, taking a few steps back while they got their bearing straight. “You should be glad that Crabbe and Goyle were expelled last year. You’d have never laid your filthy hands on me,” he muttered to Harry and Ron.

“Draco, give us the Time Turner so that we can go back to where we’ve come from,” Harry said, holding his hand out. His unruly black hair fell over his forehead, casting shadows over his bright green eyes.

“Or when we came from, even,” Ron added, a slightly confused look overtaking his freckled face.

“Speaking of which,” Hermoine mentioned, noticing where they were for the first time. “Why aren’t we at Hogwarts? We should be in the same spot as we were before.”

“Unless Hogwarts hasn’t been built yet,” Ron added, a slight quiver to his voice as he imagined when they must be to not have Hogwarts.

“No, this doesn’t look familiar at all... Draco, what have you done?” Hermoine asked, irritated.

Draco’s icy eyes pierced hers as he opened his mouth to speak, but before he could, an explosion threw the four of them to the ground. They heard the roar of Muggle airplanes soaring above them as more explosions rattled the earth. Once the ground stopped shaking, Ron, Harry, and Hermoine stood and dusted the dirt off their black robes. “That just proves it. Hogwarts was built long before airplanes were invented. Draco, give me the...” Hermoine scanned the area for Draco but he seemed to have vanished into thin air.

“Where did he go?” Ron asked, trying in vain to see into the forests.

“Blast him,” Harry muttered. “Dusk is coming quickly. We must find Draco before we’re stuck here.” Harry was right, the trees that they were surrounded by at the moment seemed to be embracing the shadows as the sun sank.

Draco listened to the three Gryffindors attempt to discover his whereabouts before running off through the trees to the east. He decided to have a little fun exploring and destroying things. From the explosions, he gathered that destruction was the order of the day, and ran off to join the fun gleefully.

“Well, I suppose we can’t just sit here all night. The planes were flying east. They will turn around and go back to their base. Maybe we can find something there,” Harry said.

“I suppose it’s as good a plan as any,” Ron agreed.

“It just doesn’t make sense,” Hermoine said to herself until Harry walked up to touch her shoulder.

“C’mon, Hermoine. We’ll figure it out, and find Draco.” Hermoine nodded and started walking after Ron, who had already started weaving through the trees toward the sunset.

As night drew closer and it started to get dark, Ron raised his wand to try a simple illumination spell. Harry threw his arm out to stop him just before he muttered the incantation.

“Wha-” Ron started before Hermoine’s hand closed over his mouth.

“Shhh... Somebody’s up ahead. I can smell the fire,” Harry whispered.

“I can smell a lot more than that,” Ron whispered back. “Smells like a musty old locker room if you ask me.”

“It must be a camp of some sort,” Hermoine offered.

“I don’t think I want to know if they’re the good guys or the bad,” Ron said, taking a step back.

“I think it would be wisest to go around,” Harry agreed. Hermoine nodded her head in agreement. The three teens tiptoed around, giving the encampment wide berth. A few miles farther and they stumbled into a road.

“All roads must lead to some sort of civilization at some point,” Ron said. “And where there’s civilization, there’s bound to be food,” he added, hearing his stomach start to rumble.

“We shouldn’t stay on the road though, it’s too dangerous, and obvious,” Hermoine warned.

“We’ll follow it from a distance,” Harry said, walking into the trees on one side of the path. Hermoine and Ron both stared after him, then followed.

The moon was high in the night sky when Harry heard Hermoine stumble behind him. He stopped and turned to her. “Are you alright? We should stop; get our rest. We don’t know how far the next town is.”

Hermoine rose her head proudly and replied, “I’m quite alright thank you.” She almost insisted that they press on when she saw Ron sink gratefully to his rear. “But I’m afraid Ron hasn’t got the strength to continue tonight.”

Harry nodded and sat against a tree stump. Hermoine sat apart from the other two and curled up between the roots of a rather large tree. “Besides,” she said with a yawn, “we’ve all had a long day.”

Harry watched as Hermoine and Ron fell into slumber before closing his own eyes and drifting to sleep.
Sign up to rate and review this story