Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Last Great War

The End... or Is It?

by JennBarny 0 reviews

Grindelwald (Hitler) and Dumbledore face off.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Draco,Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione,Professor McGonagall - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-05-02 - Updated: 2008-05-02 - 2401 words - Complete

-1Boring
Draco walked through the caverns, and came across a teen, watching as Dumbledore and Grindelwald faced off. “What are you doing?” he asked, demanding an answer.

“Quiet you ninny,” the boy said. “They are dueling.”

“How dare you call me a ninny! State your name!” Draco demanded, angered.

“I am Tom Riddle, Grindelwald’s apprentice.”

“Lord Voldemort?” Draco asked. When Riddle’s eyes narrowed, Draco saw this as his chance to procure his family. “I apologize for my tongue, Lord. Remember now and always that the Malfoy family will support you in your quest.”

“Malfoy? Hmmm... I’ll keep that in mind. Now, would you like to watch old Dumb-ledore be defeated?”

Draco grinned sadistically and took his place along the wall to watch.

Grindelwald cast the first curse, “Wingardium Leviosa!” Dumbledore felt his feet leave the ground. He was spun around and tossed like a rag doll to the floor.

“Impedimenta!” Dumbledore shouted. It caused every motion of Grindelwald’s to become much slower.

Grindelwald furrowed his brow in anger and decided to pull out all the stops. “Crucio!” he called, his words slowing down as well. Dumbledore easily dodged the curse, and shouted his own. “Locomotor Mortis!” Grindelwald’s legs became locked together, and he could not walk. He lost his balance and fell onto his back.

Tom Riddle became outraged and called “Serpensortia!” as a large snake slithered from the end of his wand. He started teasing the snake, telling it to go after Dumbledore, with his rare gift of Parceltongue, which allowed him to speak to snakes.

Harry looked up from Hermione and saw the snake slithering toward Albus and started speaking to the snake, calmly and kindly. Somehow he managed to lead the snake away from Dumbledore and toward Grindelwald. No matter how hard he tried, the snake’s hunger was greater than Harry’s determination, and Grindelwald was crushed by the snake.

“Accio!” Dumbledore called, seeing a thin gold chain around Grindelwald’s neck. He caught the Time Turner and pocketed it before the snake swallowed Grindelwald whole.

Behind the corner, Tom Riddle became outraged. “Dumbledore! I swear to the Dark Arts themselves that you will pay for that! You will feel the pain of losing someone dear to you as you have done to me!”

Dumbledore looked at the boy and saw the seventh year head boy and prefect, Tom Riddle. Suddenly everything seemed to make sense. Albus was the only teacher who did not practically worship the brilliant student, mostly because of Tom’s own attitude toward Dumbledore. He watched as Tom ran through the caves. Harry spotted Draco as he turned to follow, but he called out “Stupefy!” and stunned him.

“How is she?” Dumbledore asked Harry.

“I don’t know. She isn’t breathing.”

“Come on, we must get her back to our headquarters,” he said softly. Tom Riddle’s threat shook Albus to the core as the only person he could possibly mean was Minerva. Harry lifted Hermione in his arms and Dumbledore hovered Draco along in front of them.

The four of them arrived in France to see Ron and Minerva waiting impatiently. Minerva rushed to Albus, but he put his hand up. “Not now, Minerva.”

“But-” she protested. She looked to Harry, and found sympathy in his deep green eyes, but no answers. He didn’t know exactly what was happening, but was much more involved with getting Hermione some help than he was with Dumbledore and McGonagall’s love lives.

“We must get back to Hogwarts immediately. I have important business to settle and we must see Emma treated immediately.” Albus limped wearily away from her and arranged for a Portkey to take them back to Hogwarts.

Once Hermione was in the custody of the school nurse and Albus’ wounds were healed, Albus left Harry to watch over Hermione as he spoke to Minerva.

“Albus, I’m so glad you’re safe,” Minerva started as they walked through the corridors toward his chambers.

“My dear, must we go on with this charade?” Albus asked, stopping in a common hallway.

“What- What are you talking about, Albus?” Minerva asked, slightly confused.

“Oh dear, I thought you could tell the whole time...” he said casually, pretending to become lost in his thoughts. He was steeling himself for the moment when he would break her heart, but he knew he had to to keep her safe.

“Albus Dumbledore, stop talking this cryptic nonsense and tell me what you mean,” she demanded.

“Please don’t get mad at me, dearest Minerva, but I’m afraid I’ve deceived you.” He started off with this, but that was all he had planned, so the rest he simply made up on the spot. “I saw you, one of the most brilliant students at Hogwarts, though you graduated two years before I began teaching, a strong, and strong-willed, witch, with tremendous animagus skill, but I was not as sure of your loyalties as I probably should have been. I knew I couldn’t let Grindelwald have you on his side, so I acted as though I were in love with you to ensure that he would not be able to use you. Now that Grindelwald is dead, however, it seems I may have been wrong to doubt you all this time. I adore you as a colleague, but I’m afraid that I do not feel an inkling of romantic attraction for you,” he explained, speaking slow, clear, and loud enough that any students walking by could hear. He knew that if Tom himself wasn’t listening from behind a corner, then the news of their break-up would reach him anyway.

Minerva simply stared at Albus, her hands at her throat, eyes wide. “You... you...” she struggled to pull together some form of a full sentence before her anger filled her veins. “I don’t know what’s worse, that you doubted my loyalties, or that you led me to believe that you loved me. Well, Professor, I think the Wizarding Actor’s Guild Award should go to you, because you did a bloody good job of it. I can’t believe that you can stand her and claim that you feel nothing for me when only three nights ago you-” Dumbledore’s hand gently closed over her mouth.

“Come now, Minerva, that is better off discussed behind closed doors, not in a hallway full of students,” he said, his calm voice belying the red tinge gracing his cheeks.

“Behind closed doors indeed,” Minerva continued. “Sure, you want your bedroom antics quiet, but don’t have the slightest qualm about tearing my heart out in the open.”

Albus furrowed his brow. He should have expected her to be so passionate about this, but for some reason he hadn’t. His heart ached with every second that they continued, because every word that was spoken was like a drop of acid on the bond they shared. Every sentence pushed her farther from him. Then he reminded himself that it was for the better.

“Minerva, please. I was only doing what I thought was right. I don’t want to lose such a wonderful friend over this.”

“I think you should have thought about that earlier,” she spat, turning on her heel to retire to her own chambers.

Albus sighed heavily and went back to the hospital wing. “You know, Daniel,” he started, “sometimes to win, you’ve got to sacrifice, but how can you tell when the price is too great?”

“I don’t know, sir,” Harry replied, taking his gaze away from Hermione to look at him. His blue eyes looked tired and defeated, and the usual twinkle seemed extinguished.

“I can only hope that she will still seek me out as a friend,” he sighed.

“I wouldn’t worry, sir. I’m sure you can return to your friendship before too long. I’m sure that she looks up to you in adoration, even if she doesn’t realize it.”

“Here, I took this from Grindelwald’s neck. I believe it once belongs to you and your friends,” Albus said, pulling a thin gold chain from his pocket.

“But how-” Harry started, taking the Time Turner from him.

“There were far too many hints given in the course of our encounters, but I shall take your word on what you said about Minerva and I,” he said, his eyes regaining just a bit of his old sparkle. “Good luck, Daniel,” he finished before walking to his chambers.

Once Hermione had been awakened from the Bewitched Sleep that Grindelwald had placed on her, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the still stupefied Draco traveled back into the future until the instant that Draco had turned it to begin this whole mess.

Hermione called “Ennervate” to release Draco from the Stupefy curse. He glared at the trio and walked off proudly.

Hermione waved her wand and the disguises seemed to melt away.

~~~~

“Well, I don’t know about you two, but I’m starving,” Ron said, his hand over his stomach. “I’m going to the kitchens.”

Harry and Hermione watched as Ron Left them in the hall.

“Hermione, I’m so sorry,” Harry said once Ron was out of earshot. “I should have kept you closer to protect you.”

“Harry, stop. There’s nothing more you could have done.”

“Yes, there was. I could have stopped acting like a prat and come to terms with myself. I was jealous of the soldiers because... well, I realized how I felt about you. After I went to you in Grindelwald’s cavern, and you weren’t breathing, I was so scared. I wouldn’t know what to do if I never told you how much I cared for you. I couldn’t imagine life without your smile to brighten the day, or your brain to get us out of the messes that Ron and I put us in. I can’t believe that it’s taken me six and a half years to realize how I feel for you, Hermione. I’m sorry for that.”

Harry looked deep into her eyes, shimmering from tears threatening to spill forth. “Harry-” she whispered before his finger rested lightly on her lips.

“Shhh... it’s ok now,” he smiled as he leaned down and touched his lips to hers. Right then, the whole world disappeared and everything was right. When he stood, he couldn’t believe that Hermione had always believed herself to be plain. She was the most beautiful person he had ever seen. “Oh! Dumbledore and McGonagall!” Harry exclaimed, remembering.

“What about them?” Hermione asked.

“They’ve been living a lie all this time. C’mon!”

***

Harry went to Dumbledore’s office while Hermione waited in the halls.

“Professor Dumbledore, sir?”

“Yes, Harry?”

“Can I ask you for some advice on... er... on a little dilemma I have?” he asked.

“Of course, Harry. What is it?”

“Well, see, it’s about... ummm... well, let me ask you this... have you ever been in love?” he asked.

“Ahh... yes, I was,” he said, his eyes twinkling behind his half-moon glasses. “Once,” he added, somewhat sadly.

“How did it end?”

“Well, I had to break it off to protect her. I was afraid that harm might come to her because of me.”

“Why would that happen, sir?”

“Well, I was threatened once, long ago... but even now that the threat seems ridiculous, I’m not sure that she would take me back. She seemed rather upset with me and told me that I had broken her heart.”

“You said that this was a long time ago, though, right? Are the two of you friends now?”

“The best of friends, Harry. The best,” he smiled.

“Then why don’t you at least give it a shot?” he asked.

Albus paused to contemplate the question. “I’m sorry, Harry, but who is getting counseled here?” he grinned.

“You answered my question, sir. Thank you.” Albus watched, bemused, as Harry left the room.

Harry went to Hermione in the halls. “I think he is going to ask. He never told me right out who he was in love with, but...”

“She still adores him, even after what happened. It’s so obvious I’m surprised that more people haven’t picked up on it. I’m sure she’ll forgive him.”

***

“Well, you see, Minerva... when Tom killed his father, a Muggle, he was already under the influence of Grindelwald. He had become the boy’s father figure. So when Grindelwald was defeated, he swore to get his revenge on me by destroying someone very dear to me. So, to keep you safe, I had to keep you away.”

“Albus, he was always frightened of you. Probably because you killed Grindelwald.”

“But all the more reason for him to hurt those close to me, and not me, myself. It doesn’t matter anymore, though. I’m tired of playing this game, Minerva.”

“You know, those things you said really hurt, Albus,” she said softly, looking down at her hands, hands that had aged nearly 60 years since the events had taken place.

“I know, Minerva. It hurt me to say them, and then again to see your reaction. I am so sorry. I would spend the rest of my life making it up to you, if you’ll let me,” he said sincerely, taking her hands in his.

Minerva smiled. “There’s just one thing I want to hear you say. I want you to fulfill the promise that you made to me the day you left for Berlin.”

Albus smiled. “I love you, Minerva, and this still won’t be the last time I say it,” he whispered.

“I’ve missed you so much, Albus,” she said quietly before they met in a loving kiss, pouring sixty years of hidden love into each other.

****

Somewhere, in a dark misty forest, Lord Voldemort opened his red eyes, waiting for his chance to take revenge on Harry Potter- source of his own demise- and Albus Dumbledore- the cause of his existence as the Dark Lord. He decided once more to call on a family prophesied to him by a young man to be loyal followers once long ago in Germany. He would call on Lucius and he would give his life to honor his Dark Lord.
Sign up to rate and review this story