Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Desperate Hogwarts

Hermione's Mother

by Joyce_LaKee 0 reviews

Mrs. Granger is bored ever since Hermione has been away at school. Various Pairings.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Lucius, Other - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-02-06 - Updated: 2006-02-06 - 1177 words

0Unrated
J. K. Rowling owns all characters. I only gave Hermione's parents names because I couldn't find any. This is only for fun, and I don't get money for this.

"I gotta step out for some air"

Karen patted her husband on the arm after she piled the books she was carrying on top of the books he was carrying. She took a quick look around to find her daughter, but she was talking to those friends of hers. Good enough. "I gotta get out of the 'Flourish and Languish' or the 'Batty Broomsticks' or whatever they call this place," she thought. She brushed by Molly Weasley who was waiting brealthlessly in line to get her book signed by some author Karen had never heard of. Fine, whatever. As if she would ever read Gilderoy Lockheart over Danielle Steele. She opened the door and with a sigh of relief, stepped into the relatively fresh air.

Fresh air. Yeah, right. The narrow streets and closely packed bodies made her claustrophobic. She sidled across the sidewalk along the front of the bookstore, then stepped back down the alley where it was quieter. There were some discarded packing crates piled up against the wall, some litter on the ground. She grabbed the cleanest looking crate and sat down on it. Then she reached into her purse and took out her pack of smokes. Tapping the edge, she selected one cig, then flicked her bic.

One drag in, then a long exhale. There. There was the fresh air she longed for. Her husband and daughter hated her habit, so that's why she hid it. She thought about her daughter. Hermione was going into her second year at Hogwarts and Karen was happy for her. Hermione had come home for summer vacation so excited about the things she had learned and the new friends she had made. And yet, Karen felt her pulling away. Hermione had seen and done things Karen could barely understand. Maybe it was Hogwarts. Maybe Hermione would have started pulling away around this age anyway. Not that Karen had much to complain about. Her daughter was a good kid.

Her daughter's absence had given Karen time to think. That was not a good thing. She realized she was bored. Bored out of her skull. Karen had always been an exciting girl, and a bit of a drama queen. Her husband was a good man and all, but....

Karen stood up, cigarette in hand. Deftly, she took off her jacket. She had gotten overheated in that store. Apparantly, wizards had never heard of a little thing called climate control She took another drag. School shopping would be over soon, then she could get back home, take a long hot bath with candles and a glass of wine, or two, or three. But, who's counting?

She leaned over to drape her jacket over the packing crate and stood up. She turned around as she was smoothing her knit tee shirt and found herself being watched warily by a man with long blond hair. He carried a walking stick and wore a long black robe. Karen turned her head away to take another drag, crossed her arms, then let her cigarette arm dangle. She peered at him sidewise, under her lashes. "These wizards are something else," she thought. "Dress like that at home, and you'd get yourself beat up." She was aware that she stood out like a sore thumb in her slacks and fitted shirts and jackets. Oh, well. She was a "muggle" (ridiculus word, like something made up out of a storybook) and she wasn't about to change. She leaned her back against the wall and stared straight out in front of her. She sensed he was still looking at her, and he wasn't precisely friendly. She had liked Molly when she met her. She didn't like this guy.

Lucius Malfoy had completed his mission. Slip the diary to an unsuspecting victim, then get out of there. He had ducked into the alley to collect himself when he realized he wasn't alone. A muggle woman with shoulder lenght, light brown hair cut in the latest muggle style. Around his age, attractive enough in a muggle sort of way, she hadn't let herself go, anyhow. When he saw her face, he knew who she was. Granger's mother. They were the spitting image of each other. She looked at him briefly between puffs of her cigarette, then pretended to ignore him. Lucius knew better.

He was starting to rant inwardly about muggles on his territory as he looked at her, but something occured to him. She was no happier than he was about being here. In fact, she looked downright bored! This made him even madder. How could this insolent little muggle be bored in his world? She should be feeling awe, or envy, or fear. Then the muggle spoke.

"You know, if you took a picture, it would last longer." Her voice was heavily sarcastic. She was still looking at the wall opposite her.

"I beg your pardon, madam?"

Karen deigned to look at him, sidewise, through a veil of smoke. "You've been staring at me since you got here. If there's something you want to say, say it already."

"How dare you speak to me like that! Do you have any idea who I am?"

Karen laughed and turned to face him. "Oh, spare me. I don't know who you are, but I know what you are. Youre' one of those wizards who thinks he's all that. But let me tell you something, buddy." She walked over and stood six inches away from him. "Take away your magic tricks and fancy little toys and you wouldn't survive 15 minutes in my world." She flipped her hair at him and walked back to her packing crate. "Besides, you were looking at me, pal, not the other way around." She tossed her cigarette on the ground and squashed it vehemently with her toe. What was the big hold up in the store?

Lucius looked at her in open mouthed astonishment. Few wizards would dare talk to him like that. They feared his power and his family connections too much. Yet, unbidden, he admired her spunk. She couldn't be unaware of how defenceless she was here, but she stood up to him anyway. She was not at all like his pale, well-bred Narcissa. he also could not allow that last remark to slide.

"Is that some sort of a challenge?"

Karen was putting her jacket back on, and she turned to look at him. "Maybe it was."

"Don't be so confident I won't take you up on it."

"That you couldn't survive in my world? Fine. Just name the time and the terms."

"In my own good time, madam."

Karen shrugged and walked past him, towards the storefront. When she was almost to the sidewalk, she looked over her shoulder and grinned. "Caught you looking." The she winked at him and continued on her way. Maybe she had fund the cure for her boredom.
Sign up to rate and review this story