Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > If Only He Knew

Chapter 14

by Sassy 6 reviews

The End

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-03 - Updated: 2008-06-03 - 1152 words - Complete

1Exciting
Every muscle in his body in his body was tense and his eyes squeezed tightly shut but the scream cut through the pain in his limbs. His breathing came to him in fitful gasps as he tried not to panic. The noise engulfed him: the screaming, the footsteps, the shouting – all eventually filtered through as he realised that, somehow, he was unhurt. Forcing himself to relax eased the pain from the earlier beating but, in his confusion, his breathing remained erratic. Slowly, he opened his eyes and looked to his right through a haze of unshed tears. Blinking to clear his vision, he watched, at a loss to take in the scene before him. Kay stood nearby, her expression one of bewildered frustration and anger. Occasionally whimpering, she cradled her arm; her wrist torn apart by the gunshot he had heard. Either side of her, a police officer ready to take her into custody. Gerard looked directly at her as she was led away; she returned with a bitter glance, offering neither an apology nor a hint of remorse for what she had done or planned to do.
Gerard rolled onto his side as he watched her being led away, his pulse racing with anger.
“You bitch! You’re not even sorry!” he yelled, further frustrated by the lack of reply that only served to confirm his statement.
A smartly dressed man stepped forward and knelt at Gerard’s side taking hold of his arms, immediately regretting it as Gerard frantically pulled free of his grip and tried to sit up.
“Gerard, I’m Doctor Benton, are you all right?”
Under other circumstances, Gerard might have laughed at the ludicrous question, or offered a playfully sarcastic reply, but right now, the trauma, the terror and the tension all combined at the voicing of those four simple words and he found himself unable to hold back his pent up emotion any longer. Tears spilled from his eyes in gut-wrenching sobs. Curling his legs as far into his chest as the ropes would allow, Gerard closed his eyes; not ashamed of his pain, but wishing he didn’t have to share it with a room full of strangers.
As he lay, his anguish finally subsiding, he slowly became aware that his legs were being untied.
“Gerard,” Benton spoke calmly and softly so not to alarm him. “Let me help you sit up and I can remove the jacket.”
Numb with shock, Gerard moved easily and allowed him to unbuckle the straitjacket, sighing with relief as his arms were freed.
“We have an ambulance waiting,” Benton explained as a wheelchair was pushed through the open door, “we’re going to take you to the hospital, get you checked out.”
Gerard looked up at the doctor, at first almost blankly, then as his words sank in, he shook his head with determination.
“No, I have to speak to Mikey,” he insisted.
Benton looked to the remaining police officer in the room.
“His brother,” the officer explained. “We’re informing the family now.”
Benton smiled kindly. “He’ll be on his way to meet you there.”
Gerard nodded, still shocked at how close he had come to death.
“You’re safe now,” Benton added.
Gerard offered a faint smile, soon broadening as the doctor helped him into the chair and he was wheeled out of the place that had been his prison and almost his tomb.

*

Mikey and Frank hugged joyfully as they received the news including Sam in their boisterous celebrations; they almost didn’t hear the telephone ringing.
“Frank!” Ray shouted ecstatically down the phone. “Brian just called, have you heard?”
“Yeah, the police just this second called!” Frank beamed into the phone. “We’re on our way, I just got one call to make.”
“Okay, but bring champagne! I think we need it!”
“Bob can’t drink, surely? Not with all those painkillers and stuff.”
“No, maybe not,” Ray thought for a moment. “But we can!”
Frank laughed at Ray’s exuberance. It summed up exactly how they all felt at the news that Gerard was safe and the kidnappers caught. As much as it was, even the ransom money, now safely returned to them, barely registered in their thoughts. The only thing bringing the moment down was that Frank knew he owed Brian an apology. That was his immediate task. Dialling the number, Frank was taken aback by Brian’s sedate tone, despite the news. Brian was exhausted, mentally and physically; the experience and the tough decisions had taken their toll on him.
“Brian,” Frank, adopted a similar serious edge to his voice.
“I know,” he replied, without Frank needing to say another word.
“I’m sorry, Brian, I shouldn’t have doubted you. You saved his life.”
“It was a risk.”
“It was a good call,” Frank corrected.
“Go on,” Brian purposely picked up his tone. “Go to the hospital and give everyone a hug from me.”
“I will!” Frank replied cheerfully.

*

It seemed like an unbelievably long wait but finally, Gerard, refusing to use the wheelchair for longer than was absolutely necessary, walked slowly into Bob’s room trying his best to disguise the pain from the vicious beating he had been subjected to. Gerard grinned happily as he was greeted by an uproarious welcome of cheers and hugs from his friends. Initially grimacing as Mikey threw himself into his brother’s arms, Gerard smiled to find the pain almost washed away by the joy of moment.
“I’m so sorry, Gee, this was all my fault!” Mikey declared much to Gerard’s surprise.
“How is any of this your fault?” Gerard asked standing back and shaking his head to emphasise.
“I slept through the whole thing!” Mikey’s eyes filled with tears. “You fought with them and I didn’t hear a thing!”
“No!” Gerard took hold of Mikey’s arms and looked him in the eyes. “There were three of them, I was asleep on the sofa when they arrived but woke when two of them grabbed me. The other was already upstairs, she drugged you Mikey, there was no way you could wake up. This wasn’t your fault!”
“Are you sure?” Mikey asked with reservation in his voice. “Don’t just say it to make me feel better.”
Gerard smiled. “Mikey, I swear.”
The younger man smiled, faintly at first and with some uncertainty.
“How are you feeling?” Mikey’s shoulders sagged and he stared at his feet. Of course it was a stupid question; so lame.
Gerard lifted his brother’s chin to look him in the eyes.
“I’m okay,” his grin widened and he winked. “I promise!”


THE END

******************************
A/N - Thank you to everyone who read and/or reviewed or rated my little adventure. I was overwhelmed by the response throughout and I really hope you liked it.
Many thanks! Sas x
Sign up to rate and review this story