Categories > Original > Romance

What do you say we leave for California?

by xexplodingxstarsx 1 review

[Greatly linked to the song California by Metro Station. Basically a prodiction of my real life plan. Names changed, Zinnia Dylan is me, Ember is Brandy.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-06-10 - Updated: 2008-06-10 - 1674 words - Complete

0Unrated
She's been so anxious. Finally, after six years of planning, Zinnia Dyaln was running away. The bedroom seemed dark and lonely, ready to be left behind, and the clock sat staring back at her, readin 12:56 am. Zinnia sighed lightly to herself, clutched her bag, and stood. Five feet tall and sixteen years old, needless to say, she was pretty short. She slowly and quiety patted her way out of the familiar house, and out to her car while nerves of excitement and fear pushed their way through her veins. She sat in her small, cold, black volkswagon, and exhaled softly, calmly watching the thin white cloud escape her mouth and slowly fade into the stiff december air. She pulled the sleeves of her tight AFI jacket up past her palms and strongly gripped the steering wheel. With a foot on the gas pedal, and the key in the ignition she whispered to herself, "here it goes." And she drove alone, straight to the house she had been dreaming of all day. Straight to Ember Lea Skitsen's.


Arriving in the driveway alone as always seemed somewhat different this time. Nonetheless, Zinnia Dylan was eagerly awaiting her approach. She checked her reflection in the rear view mirror. Short black hair, currently sporting blue streaks through her bangs, light green eyes, very light and fair tone supporting a clear complexion, and a slight sparkle marking her beloved peircing in her lower right lip. While Zinnia was frantically pushing her hair into place, she came out. Ember walked out of the front door, and down to the car almost seeming to be in slow motion. Bag draped over her right shoulder, and shoulder length black hair with white blonde streaks straightened to the max, Ember Lea seemed to be the most beutiful being in the world. And she was, to Zinnia, who had to stop what she was doing completely to be mystefied by the never dying radiance of her girlfriend of a year and eight months. Zinnia had been so captivated, that she at first hadn't even noticed Ember entering the car, but was thrust back into complete consiousness when the girl had yawned, "Morning Zinfendel." Zinnia smiled back at the irony of the nickname after a wine for a straight edge girl. "Morning babe." she smiled back, and they were off again.

""I love this song so much.. It makes me really wish that I could just skip ahead and be sixteen." Ember gave a confused frown. "Why's that? We're pretty much fine where we're at... I mean, it will be amazing when we get older, but?" "I've had this plan, for about four years now, that when I'm sixteen, I'm just going to get up and leave. Drive far away. And possibly not come back." "Oh.." And the silence grew between them. "Ember, I've thought of people coming with me, sometimes. But I never thought it would be real. Like, I never asked Zeke.. And I think I've told Paris about it, but I don't think she took me seriously. But.. Would you, actually go with me?" Ember smiled. "Yeah." "are you sure? Like, I mean run away completely, and not tell anyone, for a few months even." Ember leaned over, and kissed her girlfriend softly. "I would love to go with you.""

There were other vehicles on the road, driving around in random directions, never staying within reasonable eyeshot for more than a few minutes. But something seemed different about them. Something seemed, unrealistic and of little or no importance. The roads seemed longer, and the darkness around them grew as they drove off past the intersection, and towards more plantatious and calmer grounds. There was an occasional streetlight marking their way closer to the river. Zinnia focused on the barely audible radio playing right in front of her. She listened in disbeleif as the song actually came on.

If I strum chords, would you sing a song with me
If I leave town would you leave along with me
We can fly away to outer space
We can find a way to leave this place

We don’t need a map and you can throw your phone away
We don’t wanna hear the things we know they’re gonna say
You don’t trust yourself but girl trust in me
Don’t look in the mirror the past you don’t wanna see

What do you say we leave for California
If we drive all night we can make it by the morning
And no one has to know if we decide to go
What do you say we leave for California

If we leave our friends then we can be together
We can leave this town if only for the weather
I could drive and you could sleep
While the radio collides to the sound of our heartbeats

What do you say we leave for California
If we drive all night we can make it by the morning
And no one has to know if we decide to go
What do you say we leave for California

Hynotized by the carbon monoxide
Would turning back be a good idea
Your cigarette after cigarette
Cannot help to calm your fear

But I’m still driving
Just keep sleeping
We’ll keep moving
But I’m not leaving no I’m not leaving

What do you say we leave for California
If we drive all night we can make it by the morning
And no one has to know if we decide to go
What do you say we leave for California

What do you say we leave for California
If we drive all night we can make it by the morning
And no one has to know if we decide to go
What do you say we leave for California

What do you say we leave for California
If we drive all night we can make it by the morning
And no one has to know if we decide to go
What do you say we leave for California


Zinnia Dylan Xizzle glanced to her right, and saw that Ember was smiling back at her. Ember was so pretty, all the time. She was always considerably taller than Zinnia [seven inches at this point] and her eyes still to this day tranced Zinnia. Their blue was so deep and everchanging shades, but for now, they were light and shining up at Zin. "Oh damn, we're here." Zinnia realized aloud. "The park?" Ember asked. "For contemplating." she explained back. They both exited the car in the same flail of nervousness, and met in front of the small car. While they walked, both directed towards the enormouse tree standing out by the shore, Zinnia moved her arm slightly, slipping her right hand into the warm comfort and safety of Ember's left, who clutched it tightly and said, "We're actually doing this. I can't beleive it. After a year of waiting." Zinnia's mouth uncontrolably contorted back into its content little grin. "I'm really glad you came with me after all."

Zinnia's day had been weary. a mid eighth grade field trip to the garbage disposal facility might not have been the most eventful learning experience they could have thought up. She groaned, and tugged downwards at her old, conforming uniform shirt. She was tired. She was angry. Then the thought ran back into her mind, Ember Lea. The conversations from yesterday then flowed through her thoughts, and her mood had lifted completely. A slightly more complicated version of the classic, "I like you." "I like you too." And now here she was a day later standing at home. She logged on to the computer, and waited for myspace im to load, hoping she was on. Yes, there it was. The im pops up, "How was your garbage trip?"
Horrible
aw, I'm sorry. did the claw kill you?
I think it might have..
haha..
:]
.. Do you think I'm weird?
I think your next to perfect. And weird is just one of those qualifications, so yes.
hehe.. well.. do you think it would be weird if I asked you out?
:D no.
Okay then.. Zinnia, will you go out with me
F*ck yeah!
That day, Zinnia ran around and sang Shiksa Girlfriend by Say Anything for at least three hours.


They had been sitting there up against the tree for about an hour. Zinnia Dylan's back against the tree, Ember lying with her head between her chest and waist. Zinnia stroked her girlfriends hair, and admired her as she spoke. "I don't really care where we go. Yougave me a year and a half to decide, and I still don't know. Canada's too far, although I do really want to see where you were born one day.. Maybe we should just copy the song." the face contortion again. "Are you ready now?" "Definetly. I've been in this state far too long."

She layed on her bad, arms and legs sprawled around in some undescribable manner, wondering how long it would take until she was tired enough to say goodbye and hang up. Sure she was tired, if she absolutely needed to, she could somehow drift into REM. But not now, not while she could still talk to her Emma. "I think British Columbia would be nice." "Yeah, where I was born. Vancouver." "Yeah, it would be nice. Just to go there and.. Get married maybe." Zinnia nearly fell out of her bed. Was she being serious!? "Yeahh, like in a few years. When we're just a little older." "Yeah." "Like.. I don't want to scare you away or freak you out or sound ghetto or anything but.. hah.. Will you marry me?" "yes. I would love to." "Phone engagement!" "Yeah, I want a ring now." "I'll buy you one at the mall on Wednesday." " That'll be great. IS THAT AN ENGAGEMENT RING? yah, it is. HOW OLD ARE YOU!? I'm THIRTEEN." "hahaha, good stuff.. I lveo you, my fiancee." "I love you too."

to be continued..
Sign up to rate and review this story