Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter One

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a merchant of death, unseen, unloved, unwanted. When someone gets to be to much of a problem, she's the one you call.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-11 - Updated: 2008-06-11 - 1167 words

0Unrated
No one knows how the war started, just how it ended, but that’s it, the end. And we’re at the beginning of the story, a sad story, of love and loss, of death and betrayal. It’s the story of my life, of whom I was, and whom I became.
My name is Chalise and I am a merchant of death.
I walk among you, but you don’t see me. I touch you, but you don’t feel me. I am invisible, one of the unwanted. I am an assassin, I kill world leaders that need to be killed, do things no one should ever do, I am trained, and I am talented. I am also dead.

Now I walk among the people of a city, which city I’m not sure, there have been so many. I am unseen, I look at the people, but they look right through me.
I am headed for my next assignment, the new prime minister of England. I am told that he causes to much trouble, has made to many enemies in his short career, I am to take care of him.
Finally I arrive at his hotel, and wait outside, again unseen. I stand there, and I wait.
Finally he emerges, and I’m shocked. I knew he was young, but I didn’t know how young. He didn’t look old enough to have enemies, he didn’t look like the type of person that someone would want dead.
I shook my head, knowing such thoughts could be dangerous. Once you start feeling sympathy for the target, than you can’t do your job. I began to walk forward, pulling out a pistol as I walked. One bullet, to the head, that’s all it would take. A simple death, painless and quick.
I had just reached him, and started to raise my gun to shoot, when he stopped and he looked at me.
I froze, knowing he could see me, and wondering how this could be. He stared for a moment, unafraid, waiting for me to shoot and I lowered my gun, before backing away.
I could feel his gaze on me as I blended into the crowd, but I didn’t look back, I couldn’t. I just let myself disappear.
***************************
I fell to the ground from the force of the slap, but I didn’t defend myself, I knew I deserved it. I had let a target live, and do more damage.
“You were one of my best Chalise,” Vincent, my boss said, before he hit me again. “How could you let him walk? Because you didn’t do your job, he went to the conference. He made people unhappy, very powerful people.”
He stepped back, staring at me.
“They want me to kill you,” he said, “but I said no. I told them you would fix your mistake that you wouldn’t let it happen again.’
He threw a packet of papers at me, and walked toward a chair, sitting down.
“His itinerary for the next week,” he said, still watching me, “you have one more chance Chalise.”
I pushed myself off the floor and took the packet, nodding curtly before I walked out of the room.
I would finish my job. I would kill my target. If my life was in the balance, I would choose mine over his any day.
I went into the library and sat at the desk, reading the papers. Finally I fell asleep with my head against the table and I dreamed, of a handsome man, with blue eyes. I woke up with a start, and realized I had been dreaming of him, of the target and I sat there staring into nothing, feeling disturbed.
Finally I stood up and left the house, got on my motorcycle and drove down the long driveway to the road. I traveled quickly, until I arrived at his hotel again, and stopped the motorcycle, getting off. I got past the doorman easily and walked to the elevator, to the floor where he was staying.
I walked past his bodyguards and went to his room, taking out my lock pick, picking the lock quickly and easily. On silent feet, I walked toward the bedroom, where he was sleeping.
I pulled out my gun and cocked it, pointing it toward him, my finger on the trigger.
Suddenly he sat up and stared at me, not through me like most people did, but at me.
“Who are you?” He asked, and I just stared at him, lowering my gun.
“People want you dead,” I said, not sure why I was telling him this. “I was hired by your enemies to silence you.”
He nodded, “go ahead,” he said, “silence me. But there are others like me, even if my voice is gone, they will be heard.”
I stared at him and knew, I couldn’t kill him, by saving his life I had signed my own death warrant.
I began to back away, when a noise made me pause, I turned toward the window and realized it was a helicopter and with a flash of horror, I knew.
I turned and ran toward the bed, pulling him off it, rolling on the floor, until finally we were away from the window.
A large helicopter appeared and the sudden burst of gun fire made me flinch as I protected his body with my own. Finally there was silence, but I knew it wouldn’t last, they would soon come to the room, to see if the job had been done.
I got up and hauled him up too.
“Get dressed,” I said curtly, “hurry. We don’t have much time.”
He stopped for a moment, “we?” He asked and I nodded.
“I let you live, twice and I just saved your life,” I said. “They’ll be after me as much as you now.”
“My men,” he said, and I stared at him, “your men are already dead Peter.” I said quietly, “but you’re still alive, if you wish to stay that way, come with me.”
Peter nodded, and hurried, getting dressed as I walked toward the door. I pressed my ear against it and I could hear them coming, I could hear the gunfire as they killed Peter’s bodyguards.
I turned and ran toward Peter, “quickly,” I said hauling him toward the broken window.
He looked down, then at me, “are you crazy?” He yelled and I smiled, “so I’ve been told,” I said, before hauling him over the windowsill and jumping five stories down with him.
I landed on my feet, and prevented Peter from falling, then quickly grabbed his hand and ran toward where I had hidden my motorcycle.
“Get on,” I said, throwing him a helmet.
He took the helmet, strapping it on before getting on the motorcycle and grasping my waist.
I started the engine, merging into traffic and quickly drove away from the hotel.
Sign up to rate and review this story