Categories > Original > Fantasy > Merchant Of Death

Chapter Three

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

Chalise is a merchant of death, she gets rid of the people who cause problems.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-06-12 - Updated: 2008-06-12 - 733 words

0Unrated
I woke up in a room, that looked oddly familiar, I pushed myself up and realized I recognized the bedroom I was in. Then a man came through the door and smiled.
“Jericho,” I said, “how did you find me?”
“I was lucky enough to be near your property,” he said, “I heard the alarms go off. So I hid and watched, hoping to be of some help. When I saw the young man carrying you out, I appeared and showed him the way to my cabin.”
“Where is Peter?” I asked and Jericho gestured behind him. “In the other guest room,” he said, “he’s a brave one. Wouldn’t believe that I was a friend until I showed him my mind.”
I looked at Jericho, who had been an immortal longer then I had been a death merchant.
“What did you see?” I asked, “when you looked into his mind?”
Jericho smiled, “what makes you think I looked into his mind?” He asked.
“I’ve known you for three hundred years Jericho,” I said, “you looked.”
“Of course I looked,” Jericho said, “I was curious to why you were with a human.”
“He can see me,” I said, “I was supposed to kill him. I was standing there, my gun drawn, ready to pull the trigger and he looked at me. I couldn’t do it Jericho, I couldn’t pull the trigger.”
He nodded, “he is meant for great things Chalise.” He said, “and you are meant to protect him. He is the one, the one Nicodemus spoke of in the beginning of the war.”
I gasped, and stared at Jericho, “all the merchants of death knew about Nicodemus. He had been the first immortal, when the war began he had a vision. One that proclaimed when the war would end.”
“Is that why someone wants him dead?” I asked and Jericho nodded.
“The war is a profitable thing,” he said, “good buisness for some.”
He looked at me, “he must go to Circe,” he said, “she is the only one who can protect him.”
I nodded, “when will he become an immortal?” I asked.
“That will be Circe’s decision,” he said, “she will turn him.”
I looked away, not wanting the jealousy to show in my eyes. Once an immortal was turned, they always were linked to the one who turned them. Peter would be Circe’s forever.
Jericho gently grasped my chin and turned my face so I looked at him.
“You care for this man,” he said, and it wasn’t a question.
I nodded, “he’s unlike any human I’ve ever met before,” I said and Jericho smiled.
“Of course not,” he said, “he’s destined to become an immortal.”
I shook my head, trying to keep the tears in my eyes from falling.
“We’re not meant for each other,” I said, “once he becomes an immortal, he’s out of my reach.”
I took a deep breath, then looked at Jericho again.
“How did they find us?” I asked, wanting to change the subject. “No one but you knows of that safe house.”
Jericho stood up and picked something off the dresser, bringing it to me.
“A tracking device,” he said, putting it in my hand. “It was attached to your jacket.”
I stared at the device and felt a wave of anger.
“Damn you Vincent,” I swore, he must’ve placed it on me back at the house.
“I disabled it,” Jericho said, as I placed it on the table next to the bed. “As charming as I find you my dear, I really don’t wish to have a whole horde of death merchants at my door.”
I nodded and started to get up, swaying slightly.
Jericho reached out to steady me.
“You’re lucky that I found you,” he said, “the acid was almost to your heart when I managed to get it all out.”
“Thank you,” I said and he waved his hand.
“You’re about the only person I can stand in this world,” he said. “Even if you are a death merchant.”
“Go wake up Peter,” he said, “you’ll have to leave soon. I’ll give you a bag of supplies that you can use until you reach Circe.”
I smiled at him, then left the room, going down the hallway to where Peter slept.
Sign up to rate and review this story